• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Meh, I've got a pretty good rating in every level and unlocked every weapon and missing a handful of masks but I've only found B, I have no idea what I'm looking for either, or where I found said B, will using the owl mask help with that stuff?

Dennis, how are your shots without any jaggies in the environments?

Haunted

Meh, I've got a pretty good rating in every level and unlocked every weapon and missing a handful of masks but I've only found B, I have no idea what I'm looking for either, or where I found said B, will using the owl mask help with that stuff?

Dennis, how are your shots without any jaggies in the environments but the characters still chunky and crisp as they should be?
You're looking for small 3x3 purple pixels with a single white one in the middle. Pick them up as you would a weapon. With the owl mask, they will hover in the air, otherwise they're sitting still on the ground.

Just go into the first chapter and take a good look around, you'll see it. Once you know what to look for, they're surprisingly simple to find.

spekkeh

Banned
We're, in all our amateurish glory, trying to push video content harder, so I tried my hand at a video review. You can watch it here.

It's pretty rough, that I know. Recorded it at ~4am with a sore throat, and I've never cut anything together in my life, so I was learning as I was going. Audio needs better mixing, I need to speak clearer and tighten up the review as a whole, but for a first effort I'm pretty happy with it.

Welcoming feedback!

iMbVH.jpg

Sorry had to be done.

Anyway I have some constructive feedback, but I may well be a bit contrarian in this (I know many people complain about reviews when stuff is left out). First off, I think it's very well done, like someone else said, you're talented. However, six minutes is quite long for a review, and three minutes in I still had no real idea of your opinion on the game as you went through the motions of stating how the game played and the different mechanics in there. I think you shouldn't focus on being the definitive review. It's one guys opinion after all, and if someone is really interested in the game, they'll read multiple reviews anyway. Or at least they would, if not every review was roughly the same.

So instead focus on only giving your own subjective take on it. Like really subjective. Start with what you think of the game, maybe a bit cryptic so people would want to know why. Then elucidate. Then work towards the conclusion. Don't be afraid to leave out important stuff about the game if it's not really important for the argument you're trying to make. Instead, add some stuff in there that you think nobody would notice. It adds authorative weight to your wholly subjective opinion. There's hundreds of reviewers out there. Don't try to be like them. In fact, try to not be like them.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Good game, some down and dirty game-play, even if some levels don't really click as much. That said I think it falls apart
when you play as helmet man
as those sections just don't have the same difficulty as what came before.. and they also signify the complete utter falling apart of the story.

I really dug the kind of cliche'd mindfuck going on, but then they end it like that.. and yeah. I actually think if it
ended at the 1st ending I would have thought higher of it as a game

Good game, some down and dirty game-play, even if some levels don't really click as much. That said I think it falls apart
when you play as helmet man
as those sections just don't have the same difficulty as what came before.. and they also signify the complete utter falling apart of the story.
I liked it, it was a nice breather. It was a new challenge in having to manage an inventory.

Anyone have some hints on secret masks? Picked up a couple on levels.

ScOULaris

Anyone have some hints on secret masks? Picked up a couple on levels.

Here's a complete list of mask locations and requirements that I pulled from another forum:

Richard - Chicken - No Bonus
You start with it

Rasmus - Owl - An Eye For Secrets
High score reward for Prelude

Tony - Tiger - Faster Executions
High score reward for Chapter 1

Aubrey - Pig - More Guns
High score reward for Chapter 2

Don Juan - Horse - Lethal Doors
High score reward for Chapter 3

Graham - Rabbit - Walk Fast
High score reward for Chapter 4

Dennis - Wolf - Start with Knife
High score reward for Chapter 5

George - Giraffe - Look Further
High score reward for Chapter 6

Ted - Dog - Dogs Don't Attack
High score reward for Chapter 7

Rufus - Elephant - Survive One Bullet
High score reward for Chapter 8

Rami - Camel - Extra Ammo
High score reward for Chapter 9

Willem - Monkey - Rip And Steal
High score reward for Chapter 10

Peter - unicorn - Quiet Gunshots
High score reward for Chapter 11

Zack - Frog - Longer Combo Window
High score reward for Chapter 13

Oscar - Mole - Darkness
High score reward for Chapter 14

Rick - Fox - Good Shot
High score reward for Chapter 16

Brandon - Panther - Walk Faster
High score reward for Chapter 17

Charlie - Octopus - More Melee Weapons
Found on a counter in the kitchen area in Chapter 16

Louie - Chameleon - Hard To Spot
Complete the game with the normal ending

Phil - Fish - French Translation
Found in box of masks in the sewer in chapter 19

Nigel - Bat - Reversed Controls
Complete the game after finding all secrets, completing the puzzle, and entering the password into the computer in the final level for the alternate ending

Earl - Walrus - Survive Two Bullets
Found on a dead body in Chapter 2

Jones - Alligator - More Gore
Found in chapter 5, collect a crowbar, and before you leave walk around the back of the building and unlock a sewer grate

Carl - Grasshopper - Start With Drill
Found on a body in the disco during Chapter 8

Jake - Snake - Killing Throws
Found on a body during Chapter 10

Richter - Rat - Start With Silenced Uzi
Found at the top level of the police station in Chapter 13

I've aced every level, gotten all the masks, found all of the puzzle pieces, and gotten the true ending. Now I'm feeling starved for more content. The wait for DLC is gonna be painful for me. :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished it, what a ride. Awesome game, even though the story is just kind of "over" after a certain part
namely when you take control of Biker
. I feel the game was building up to something that never actually happens.

It was trippy and weird and then suddenly it was all back to normal.
Am I understanding it correctly that Biker killed Driver over at the phone company and that all later levels when playing as Driver weren't actually real? Or something? And who were the three people with the masks, his split personality perhaps? And what's with the picture he tosses away after beating the final boss? I thought for sure drugs were involved, given to him through the free food and drinks he gets all over the place.

I feel that there is an underlying narrative I'm not fully getting yet. And yes, I dubbed the main character Driver, because that's pretty much who he is.

Max

I am not Max
Maybe the DLC will explain everything(?)

Anything left unanswered seems to just be results of insanity on the main character's part. Still, the end
with the janitors didn't make ANY sense to me as to how they could control people through the answering machine, and their motives boiled down to ennui.
Eh, lazy.

Game's a blast to play though, definitely worth the $10 I spent on it. Will gladly spend money on more levels/masks/weapons

Thanks for the hints. Managed to pick up the extra masks except the last one.

Only thing I'd like for this game is leaderboards and stats, because it's kinda annoying finding which levels you need to A+ still. Glad to hear there's some DLC coming.

SJRB

Gold Member
Maybe the DLC will explain everything(?)

Anything left unanswered seems to just be results of insanity on the main character's part. Still, the end
with the janitors didn't make ANY sense to me as to how they could control people through the answering machine, and their motives boiled down to ennui.
Eh, lazy.

Game's a blast to play though, definitely worth the $10 I spent on it. Will gladly spend money on more levels/masks/weapons

I thought that final part was a bit meta in regards to
two independant guys doing everything by themselves without having a big investor and whatnot, seemed to me it was a reflexion upon the two indie developers who made the game.

And from what I could gather they didn't specifically "control" people through the answering machine, they just gave Driver the instructions while keeping him intoxicated through drugs in the food and drinks he constantly got for free. The guys behind the counters in the stores were the janitors with wigs and fake glasses. Biker was a few steps ahead and figured out what was going on, and was on his way to stop them.

I guess that makes some sense. For myself at least, haha.

Max

I am not Max
I thought that final part was a bit meta in regards to
two independant guys doing everything by themselves without having a big investor and whatnot, seemed to me it was a reflexion upon the two indie developers who made the game.

And from what I could gather they didn't specifically "control" people through the answering machine, they just gave Driver the instructions while keeping him intoxicated through drugs in the food and drinks he constantly got for free. The guys behind the counters in the stores were the janitors with wigs and fake glasses. Biker was a few steps ahead and figured out what was going on, and was on his way to stop them.

I guess that makes some sense. For myself at least, haha.
I noticed that they kept mentioning it "was just a game" but hadn't made that connection, that really makes sense now.

GAME IS GOOD.

Everything after Crackdown is not real. It's directly said so. Trauma onwards are just fever dreams. It can be argued that the unreal nature starts earlier, for there are some talking corpses around before that, not entirely sure if that is after or before the protagonist "kills" the biker.

If this is true, I completely missed it. Where is this mentioned? Also I
got the "true" ending.
I think I liked
the ending before unlocking their computer more.
I guess it's nice to have that background info, though. It's probably there to set up something for the DLC.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Still, they were building to something much more intriguing than what they ended up giving us.

Great game with a so-so ending.

Thank goodness for the quick reload.. my R key was going to wear out.

Anyone on the fence should really buy it, totally worth the price being asked.

vidcons

Banned
why do people care about the plot it is pointless vague trivial lingo-jargon to justify how fucking rad violence because violence is rad.

man, People May Not Like The Outcomes of Violence but VIOLENCE is entertaining and that's the whole point because Videogames

talk more about face crumpling, please

Interesting that nobody has been able to do the always on top achievement yet. Must be some one of a kind weapon that people are missing? Or more likely a bug..

Smash88

Banned
for object objDevolver:

Error defining an external function.

I keep getting this error can anyone help? Worked fine yesterday, beat the whole game, now it won't start and I keep getting this.

Lain

for object objDevolver:

Error defining an external function.

I keep getting this error can anyone help? Worked fine yesterday, beat the whole game, now it won't start and I keep getting this.

I kept having that error right after I installed the game. I still had it after the patch. Then I followed the suggestion by the dev (from the Steam forum) of reinstalling the VC redist which is in the game's folder (did this twice, as the program asked me if the installation was really OK or if I wanted to retry it) and rebooting the PC and that error went away. He also suggested to reinstall the whole game, but I had done that already before so I skipped that step.

Hypereides

Gold Member
This game sounds so disturbed. Which itches my curiousity to play it.

But Im mostly interested in how its "based on a true story".

Smash88

Banned
I kept having that error right after I installed the game. I still had it after the patch. Then I followed the suggestion by the dev (from the Steam forum) of reinstalling the VC redist which is in the game's folder (did this twice, as the program asked me if the installation was really OK or if I wanted to retry it) and rebooting the PC and that error went away. He also suggested to reinstall the whole game, but I had done that already before so I skipped that step.

Reinstalling VC Redist file (so uninstalling and then installing it fresh) + restarting the computer fixed it. Thanks for the help. What a weird bug to have.

Reversed

I guess everyone and their dog found the bug of how bullets become ineffective when you are holding an enemy to break his neck or stump him to death.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If this is true, I completely missed it. Where is this mentioned? Also I
got the "true" ending.
I think I liked
the ending before unlocking their computer more.
I guess it's nice to have that background info, though. It's probably there to set up something for the DLC.

Totally agree with you on that, honestly.

Also, the DLC can't come soon enough. This game is just so damn good.

Game is awesome but very very rage inducing. I thought GAF was a bunch of babies till i hit chapter 11. But now, shit.
the first time cops showed up was really stressful/confusing too

miami disco track fucking kills it.

Raptomex

This game sounds so disturbed. Which itches my curiousity to play it.

But Im mostly interested in how its "based on a true story".
I'm pretty sure it isn't. I think that was just for the trailer. I could be wrong but I don't remember hearing about a murderous rampage around that time.

Lain

Trying to finish chapter 10 a second time to get the secret and make it out alive was really, really stressful. So many deaths because when I shot the enemy sorta warped 1 frame and bypassed my attack.
Yet trying to redo it over and over until I finally managed to kill them in a chain, with all gun blazing was so fun. Well the feeling of accomplishment when I managed to do it was fun, anyways!

I'm starting to think the knife is my preferred weapon.

mavs

Game is awesome but very very rage inducing. I thought GAF was a bunch of babies till i hit chapter 11. But now, shit.
the first time cops showed up was really stressful/confusing too

miami disco track fucking kills it.

I love all this buzz this soundtrack is getting from people who haven't gotten to the club yet. You think this game has some great music then you start that level and it blows the doors off.

Alright, I finally found a YouTube video of someone actually skilled playing Hotline Miami!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5VFk9h3Y9Q

Check it out. The creator even went so far as to dub in the sound effects manually so that the music would continue smoothly from one clip to the next. This is how everyone should be playing Hotline Miami: combo'ing kills together as fast as possible and only using guns when absolutely necessary (e.g. the big, black guys).

This dude is a force of nature. Scary.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gonna dive into this for reals after I finish up Warfighter.

Are you enjoying Warfighter? I must know. It's morbid curiosity. Everything I've seen of the game makes it look intensely boring. I can't imagine someone actually playing Warfighter over Hotline Miami.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I haven't bought the game but I like the soundtrack. It's mindless, trashy and boring, goes well with working at the office.

Alexios

Can't wait for the DLC. Can't can't can't.

Any word on level editor, or if it's at all even possible due to Game Maker?

Cmagus

Almost done the game and it's pretty damn good. They need to get the controller support fixed though the game can feel really awkward at times with the mouse. Soundtrack is so good as well really kicks in when it should.

Alexios

Actually when they get controller support in I'd like an optional single stick + face buttons mode, your move direction being your look/shoot direction also, old skool baby. Some parts might become impossible, or require a different (possibly lamer in appearance) approach, but it'd be better than twin stick imo, I prefer the mouse and keyboard instead in that case.

What's a good track for a ring tone? Most of the tracks I liked start too low/slow to work out.

Or, has anyone made a good ringtone from a specific part of a song?

Top Bottom