• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

I have this on PC and Vita - but only just starting playing the other day - I can't believe I waited so long - this games is so good!

Minor complaint on the vita, I find the controls a little oversensitive - and the right analog slightly useless at times. What gets me is that when you are not in combat, you walk around with the left analog stick and the reticle follows you, that's how it should be in combat. All good though.

love it.

baphomet

Game was great on the Vita, but far too short. I unlocked everything over the course of a day.

Can't wait for the sequel though.

done and done :D
hotlinetrophies.jpg

Tekku

So what's the verdict on the controls for the PS3 ?

They're good, but much harder than a keyboard and mouse. On PC you can check the distance really fast and still move around and target with high precision. You will have to rely more on luck when playing with a controller. But it feels really good!

Just finished it, quality little game. Wonder if I should go for the plat. I'm not especially good at it tbh.

After completing the levels and looking at all the A+'s I'd have to get, I thought "no way am I going to be able to platinum this", but it really wasn't as tough as I thought. Each level has its own particular rhythm in terms of how you go about getting your murder on. My best advice for you is to start from the beginning with the Carl mask and just get good at doing ground executions (knock'em flat + execution) with Carl's drill. That'll solve most of your A+ problems on most (but not all) stages. Youtube A+ "Rooster Runs" are also a great way to see how others approached a level. This is a great game that didn't feel like a grind to plat (finally got mine last night). Have fun!

done and done :D
hotlinetrophies.jpg

Platinum No. 30 Get

cgcdamql4kuohil05.png

It's nice to see the number of platinum holders for HM skyrocket after the patch went live. Shows people are just playing the shit out of it. I love it.

I heard they patched the "exploit" with the drill so that it gives much less score, is that true?

I thought that exploit was in PC versions of the game and long since patched. I just fired it up a minute ago on my PS3 and played through a bit with Carl and the drill executions still give me the same amount of points (+1100) and I can still easily get A+'s on most levels with him so I'd say you're good to go!

Got some new trophies thanks to the patch, but the Vita version seems to run a tad rougher. I could be imagining it, though.

I...actually agree.

I finally Platinumed it thanks to fixing the glitched trophies but I swear something was off.

I know Hotline Miami by heart at this point and I can't pinpoint it but something in the gameplay did not click with me.

I can't pinpoint it and it's a minor detail but it's off.

If I had to guess blindly I would say the death animation of enemies has slight delay.

But still could be imagination.

Number45

Another game where initially I didn't think I'd be able to get through it (last was Stealth Inc), but managed it no problem in the end. Not sure if I have it in me to go for the platinum though, unless some of the masks make melee easier (I tried to go melee when I could, but some sections seem almost impossible without a gun).

rCIZZLE

Is there a way to make multiple save files on the Vita? Trying to make an extra so a friend can go through without making progress on my playthrough.

Got to play Hotline Miami 2 today at Gamescom. Teh bomb! :D

Cant wait for the Vita version :p

(And they censored the rapescene for this build)

crispyben

GAF, I'm trying to start this on the Vita, and I'm having trouble enabling cloud saving to be able to progress on PS3. Can anyone help?

Launching the game tells me that enabling cloud saving requires logging into PSN. It then tries to do it, seemingly succeeds, then asks me if I want to proceed without cloud saves, and if I agree, warns me they can't be enabled later. WTF?

crispyben

GAF, I'm trying to start this on the Vita, and I'm having trouble enabling cloud saving to be able to progress on PS3. Can anyone help?

Launching the game tells me that enabling cloud saving requires logging into PSN. It then tries to do it, seemingly succeeds, then asks me if I want to proceed without cloud saves, and if I agree, warns me they can't be enabled later. WTF?
In case this helps anyone, I somehow had not agreed to the updated ToS, which I managed to get by longging in and out from the Settings app.

I'm now stuck on Chapter 4, but I'll figure it out!

Darksol

Just got around to playing this last night. Damn, this is a challenging, fun game. I actually find it much easier to play on my Vita than the PS3, mostly due to the sticks. Anyone else find that too?

pa22word

Just got around to playing this last night. Damn, this is a challenging, fun game. I actually find it much easier to play on my Vita than the PS3, mostly due to the sticks. Anyone else find that too?

Really? I personally found the vita sticks to be so woefully inadequate for this game to the point it nearly ruins the experience. Guns especially become a hindrance way more in the vita version due to the way the sticks are designed.

Where can I find a reliable spawn for the Scorpion and Magnum? The trophy guides are useless for this, somehow...

Weapon spawns are generally pretty random, so just pick a level with a lot of weapon spawns and hope for the best.

Where can I find a reliable spawn for the Scorpion and Magnum? The trophy guides are useless for this, somehow...

i think i grinded those out on the Eurogamer Expo bonus stage, the big parking lot mission that has a lot of weapons on the ground right in the start. Just keep killing the first 4 guys until you get all the possible combinations. Theres like 5 different items on the ground near the start.

NJShadow

Just finished this today. Man, what a terrific game! This is one example of PlayStation Plus definitely working in the developer's favor. I wasn't considering the sequel until I played the original, but now it's officially on my "Must-Buy' list. I can't wait.

chris121580

So I downloaded this on the Vita and am absolutely loving it. I could never get into the PC version because of the controls. It works perfect on the Vita except for my hands being cramped after many hours of play. This game is just incredible. It should make me angry to keep screwing up and it doesn't. I'm currently on Chapter 11

So I downloaded this on the Vita and am absolutely loving it. I could never get into the PC version because of the controls. It works perfect on the Vita except for my hands being cramped after many hours of play. This game is just incredible. It should make me angry to keep screwing up and it doesn't. I'm currently on Chapter 11

get the Vita Assist Grip to turn it into a giant Dualshock. Helps with the claw-hand-syndrome :D

Vita-Assist-Grip.jpg

sono

I cant get through the first level without wanting to smash something for the number of times I die. I am generally average to good at most games, but I cant play this game at all.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the controls. The big dead zone for the right analog is fucking awful. Should I be using the lock on system extensively?

Ninja Dom

I'm late to the party but I got Hotline Miami during the European February PSN Sale. I have both a PS3 and PS Vita so cross buy is a great touch. So far I've only been playing in the PS Vita.

Alright...have to say it, but I think the game is crap. Okay. Maybe a bit strong but this game is seriously not clicking with me. I was really expecting a superior version of Retro City Rampage with the nice 80's Miami theme. Instead I get what boils down to a very, very frustrating puzzle game.

I re-read the Edge 9/10 review and I cannot see how it got such a prestigious score. Where is the enjoyment? Great setting, music, and atmosphere. Graphics are okay. But where is the fun? I just feel like throwing the Vita at the wall in frustration as I die over and over and over again.

What am I missing?

I re-read the Edge 9/10 review and I cannot see how it got such a prestigious score. Where is the enjoyment? Great setting, music, and atmosphere. Graphics are okay. But where is the fun? I just feel like throwing the Vita at the wall in frustration as I die over and over and over again.

What am I missing?

that you die from your own mistakes, the game is very fair and once you nail a level with a perfect murder combo its just so satisfying man! :D The fun comes from planning your approach and executing it.

all levels also provide several different approaches, you can go guns blazing and just have fun or stealthkill your way through.

and the trippy artstyle and awesome soundtrack all come together making it a great package overall.

But these games are not meant for everyone, it might just not be up your alley.

The game is definitely towards the unfair end of the spectrum, at least with console controls. Not to mention the AI for the thugs is very inconsistent.

Broseybrose

Hotline Miami is like any other game out there where you die, respawn, get a little further, die, respawn, etc. until you beat the level. You learn to predict the enemies (AI is sometimes wonky but essentially they either rush you or shoot at you once made aware of your presence).

Also, the game is REALLY fast. There is no time for "oh shit" aiming, even with the mouse youre dead. You have to be think before EVERY move how youre going to successfully deal with a situation. Look around also. But yes, its hard as fuck. Im still only halfway through the game.

You SHOULD be dying A LOT. But If you're NOT PROGRESSING, then watch some youtube vids of walkthroughs/speedruns. You'll probably learn something.

GrayFoxPL

Hi.

Just got PS3 version.

Problem: It downloads a patch but it errors out after instaling. Rinse repeat.

Anyone got this problem?

Finished 7 missions without patch, awesome game. Gfx reminds me of old polish amiga games like Franko the crazy revenge, lol.

ok, finished the story mode, awesome game!
But how the hell do people get A+ on all levels? I think I had one A+ in regular play.
Dis gonna be tough...

I've A+'d every level apart from Chapter 11. I've watched some youtube runs, and I smash the stage one score of many of them (my max is about 25,000 for stage 1 of Ch11, which should really set me up well). I can also get a 6xcombo on stage three with ease which isn't too bad. Stage 2 really let's me down though. I think my best is 15000 from that stage (leaving me about 35-40,000 entering stage three which is far too much to make up for the a+. Any tips anyone?

How do I sync my save data from my PS3 to my Vita for Hotline Miami? No matter what I try I can not find the save data, from the PS3 I copied my Hotline Miami save to online storage multiple times, I also tried accessing online storage from my Vita which I can do, but apparently there is nothing there, so it is like the Vita is incompatible with the save data or the save data is not there at all

Top Bottom