• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami PS3/Vita |OT|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, Tension. Which mask to use for the A+ rank? I'm using the stealth mask but it doesn't seem to give a decent score (or the guns screw me over)

MDSLKTR

In the PC-version you could abuse the drill kills to get an absurd amounts of points and easy A+ rankings.

It doesn't work on the vita anymore, It might be useful for the first levels but after that the only way to A+ levels is to keep the combo going with zack the frog. If you manage to kill almost everyone on a floor in one try then the best rating is almost guaranteed, the flow of the maps were designed that way.

It doesn't work on the vita anymore, It might be useful for the first levels but after that the only way to A+ levels is to keep the combo going with zack the frog. If you manage to kill almost everyone on a floor in one try then the best rating is almost guaranteed, the flow of the maps were designed that way.

I A-plussed all the stages on Vita using a combination of Tony, Zack and the Chameleon mask. Carl was definitely nerfed.

TheSeks

I just recorded myself doing an A+ run on Tension yesterday with the frog mask if this helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxSLxRLt3oQ

Guess I need to use guns more and go a different route. I've been using the Stealth mask and going to the first room on the left, knocking them down/execution for 2x, kill the dog with a pipe, throw pipe at dude above first room. Execute. Fist knockdown the two in the bathroom, execute, execute.

Then I get taken out by the guns on the bottom if I don't get them to notice and not fire or take them out and the two to the right. Then get taken out by the guns attempting to get the one to the north besides the 4 in the north-most room. :(

The drill seems pretty benign so I'll assume this is a joke response?

In the PC-version you could abuse the drill kills to get an absurd amounts of points and easy A+ rankings.

It doesn't work on the vita anymore, It might be useful for the first levels but after that the only way to A+ levels is to keep the combo going with zack the frog.

the Drill still on the Vita/PS3 gives you around 2000 points per guy. You must drop the drill, punch the guy on the ground and then do the execution with the drill. You don't need Zack to get A+ on later levels.

I'm sure you can get A+ on several different masks anyways. It's mainly about going balls out in a room, punching everyone, that way you get like +1100 points per knockdown as its considered "Risky Bonus"

Killing a solo bad guy gives the least amount of points. Always try to knock them down and kill them while in the view of other bad guys.

Mush

I'm new to the whole cross-buy/Vita account thing. I have a friend who just bought a Vita and I want to purchase Hotline Miami for myself and then download it on his Vita... by logging into my PSN?

Footos22

I'm new to the whole cross-buy/Vita account thing. I have a friend who just bought a Vita and I want to purchase Hotline Miami for myself and then download it on his Vita... by logging into my PSN?

Not sure if that will work unless he wants to lose access to all his downloaded games.
Think youll have to use a seperate memory card. i may be wrong

A vita can only hold one PSN account. So that Vita would be sort of locked to your PSN. (you can change memory cards and re-format the device every time you need to change accounts)

TheSeks

No that won't work. The PSP2 is locked to one account. Unless he wants to use your account permanently that isn't possible.

The only way that'll work for both of you is to buy it on HIS account and then download it through his account information to your PS3 and have the PS3 DRM-okayed on his account to let YOUR account then use it.

I'm at the final chapter now. Do you have to have the shuriken or something else unlocked? I'm finding it impossible but there is a ton of stuff I haven't unlocked.

I'm at the final chapter now. Do you have to have the shuriken or something else unlocked? I'm finding it impossible but there is a ton of stuff I haven't unlocked.

The lady bodyguard drops 3 shuriken when you down her. Try to down her close to one of the fountains/statue to block the guys shots. Grab a shuriken, wait till he is reloading, throw'em at him, hide, get another shuriken, repeat.

The lady bodyguard drops 3 shuriken when you down her. Try to down her close to one of the fountains/statue to block the guys shots. Grab a shuriken, wait till he is reloading, throw'em at him, hide, get another shuriken, repeat.

She just fires off shurikens and then runs over and slices me before I can do anything. Can't even down her once. How the hell are you meant to down her?

I'm guessing you mean the gun you come in with or the trophy. I'll give it a try again.

The trophy, after you deal with the panthers. If you're stuck on a level I'd suggest looking at runs on Youtube. While not necessarily helpful in this instance because there's no ranking, looking at A+ runs helps me get a better idea of planning out my own strategy.

Just purchased this. A few questions:

- Can I gift my Vita version to anyone? I don't have a Vita.

- I'm just on the first level. I've noticed a small 'p' instead of my crosshair. What's that about? Not sure if I've picked something up or not.

Thanks

ps. DAT SOUNDTRACK!

I've noticed a small 'p' instead of my crosshair. What's that about? Not sure if I've picked something up or not.

I would like to know this as well.

Also - is there any way to view which weapons you've unlocked? I'm kind of frustrated at the lack of a substantial menu in this game. Or maybe I'm just not finding it. I'd like to browse my weapons and masks somehow...

- Can I gift my Vita version to anyone? I don't have a Vita.

- I'm just on the first level. I've noticed a small 'p' instead of my crosshair. What's that about? Not sure if I've picked something up or not.

- No.

- it means you're standing on something you can pick up.

Also - is there any way to view which weapons you've unlocked? I'm kind of frustrated at the lack of a substantial menu in this game. Or maybe I'm just not finding it. I'd like to browse my weapons and masks somehow...

No menus for you! You can browse the masks at the beginning of levels.

What do I do with the puzzle pieces once I've found them all?

From the main menu pick "Puzzle" and arrange the letters to spell out a secret message. There is a computer in the game that requires this as a password.
Letters that are in the right pace turn blue after a few seconds.

Dingotech

Tried to get all the trophies yesterday except for the obvious glitched ones, I'm having a heap of trouble getting several of them to unlock!

Am I the only one who can't unlock these -

Pitcher
Knife for Pros
Always on Top

I copied lists of all the items/executions from the Trophy guide on ps3trophies.org, put them all in a spreadsheet then manually ticked them off as I obtained each requirement.
Still nothing..... I don't understand given people are saying the only glitched trophies are the dog one and the glass one. What am I doing wrong. :( :( :(

It's not as though I don't know what I'm doing, I've finished the game 100% on my PC.

SGRU

I'm playing it on the Vita and I'm a little bit disappointed.

After reading some reviews, I thought that game was an homage to the GTA series. It also was supposed to include tons of references to 8-bit classics. I have just found a somewhat funny game, based on a blazing-fast gameplay, but nothing else.

Yeah, it's really challenging and pretty addictive but... I expected much more than this. Am I missing something?

I'm playing it on the Vita and I'm a little bit disappointed.

After reading some reviews, I thought that game was an homage to the GTA series. It also was supposed to include tons of references to 8-bit classics. I have just found a somewhat funny game, based on a blazing-fast gameplay, but nothing else.

Yeah, it's really challenging and pretty addictive but... I expected much more than this. Am I missing something?

Maybe you confused this game with Retro City Rampage?

Just finished the chapter 'Showdown'. That was tough.

I'm finding the controls still hard to get used to. I tend to puss out and just cheese it by letting enemies wack-a-mole through doors.

Is anyone playing on PS3 finding free-aim hard to use? I'd love to know what controls people are using for lockon? R3 or Square or R2? I tend to lock onto the furthest enemy when panning the camera and using R3. I'm not sure if I'm missing something subtle in the controls.

Btw, when is the sequel due out? Has a PS3 version been announced?

TheSeks

Any tips for Chapter 8: Push It A+? I can't seem to get a big enough score for it. :(

Any tips for Chapter 8: Push It A+? I can't seem to get a big enough score for it. :(

I'm not at home so I can't check and see what the threshold for an A+ is... but what I can say is that if you're getting an "A" on the level-- even an "A-", take a look at the leaderboards for the level and pay attention to the scores higher than yours, but not insanely so. A lot of the scores will clump around those grading thresholds and if it looks like you're missing it by a couple thousand, I'd just focus on melee and all the ground executions you can handle, with Carl's drill if you can manage it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No patch yet? I need to platinum it. :|

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, you are absolutely right. And I'm stupid. LOL

At least you weren't expecting Hotline and got RCR.
That would be real disappointment.

Play a little more (not for the funnies) and see what you think. It's a real gem when you give yourself in to it.

Just got this game. The cross save is awesome, but I find it even better on the vita. Somehow it seems like the oled screens makes it seem so smooth and delicious. Didn't know what to think going in and all I had was $10 from the ps plus promotion. Sure as hell am glad I got it. Go out and buy it folks, you can't not like it!

Footos22

The patch has now been submitted to Sony so hopefully be within the next couple of days.
They were pretty quick with velocity ultras patch.

Apologies if this has been known. So I'm up to chapter 5 full house, and when I die in the game, I hit the PS button which brings me out of the game, I then hit continue to go back to the game which is then paused, I hit resume and my character is back alive in the game but he's out of the map. All I have to do is enter through one of the doors and I can continue playing. I've only did this on level 5, it may even work in other levels.
Once again, sorry if this has been mentioned.

Edit: found out this happens on the PC version too.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/219150/discussions/0/846959362244926194/

TheSeks

same old punch+drill :D

That didn't work. Maybe I need to drop the drill at the start and punch people and then execute with the drill. But I got 2,000 less smacking them with the drill and executing. Plus most of this level is full of guns, not really good.

That didn't work. Maybe I need to drop the drill at the start and punch people and then execute with the drill. But I got 2,000 less smacking them with the drill and executing. Plus most of this level is full of guns, not really good.

Yeah barefisted punch gives around 1000 points in itself. Preferably do it in sight of other enemies too for Risky bonus.

TheSeks

I don't think that works for Push It. Too many guns.

Toad.T

Banned
It's weird, if you'd have told me the premise/Gameplay style, I would have just scoffed at the game and walked away. But after playing it, I actually like it. I guess devs can surprise you sometimes.

Top Bottom