• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S3 |OT| Available now on Netflix! - *Spoilers for all of S3*

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Goddamnit, everyone in my household with a screen is binging the hell out of this show while I can't keep up due to some last minute work.

Everywhere I go is a spoiler minefield.

Trey

Yeah definitely. Actually my singular complaint with this season is the
time skip that happens between Frank being sworn in and the start of the third season.
I would have loved to see Frank's (and Claire's) shift first hand but that's a very minor quibble. S3 so far has been incredible. I find myself rooting for Frank now more than ever because of the focus on his humanity.

Yeah, it's a little hard to believe
he'd let his approval rating get so low before ramping up the action
, but it's any easy buy in for what season 3 has in store.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just wrapped up Ep. 5.
They have the vote in their pocket. Is this their first win this season?

Also, Monument Valley changed the course of history. It's stupid, but I get too much enjoyment from him and his gaming.

Yeah, it's a little hard to believe
he'd let his approval rating get so low before ramping up the action
, but it's any easy buy in for what season 3 has in store.

This entire season has been a deconstruction of the first two seasons. Frank's finally achieved his dream... the problem with that is that the story still goes on. It does not stop just because you've reached your goal. Which, in all honesty, was never his goal until midway through season two.

So now Frank is trying to shed everything that got him to this point
, and in doing so, destroys literally everything about himself in the most spectacular fashion.

Season Thoughts

The Good
Showing that President has to govern and deal with multiple things at the same time
Doug and most of what he was doing
Frank and his work with Russian President. Russian President was good.
Dunbar running for Presidency. The reason this was good is she wasn't in Congress so Frank has nothing on her.
Jackie falling like the fake person of shit she is while making herself believe at the same time she is not

The Bad
Focus on governing means we don't get to see the parts where Frank works congress.
Dunbar didn't come of as good as she should have
Remy is wasted
Seth is wasted
I had no idea who Frank's cabinet is made up of except for Cathy.
No appearance from Tusk. He was pardoned, he is still going to have a huge fortune. It is very strange to just not see him.
America Works should have been focus for most of S3 not Russia. We needed to see more of Frank in congress with congress and working them out.

The Ok
Claire's part through whole season. She fucked up so Senate voted her down. Frank made her the appointment still. Then she got played.
Then she thinks its not fair that she is not equal with the President of the Fucking United States. What was she expecting all this time? Frank was right at the end.

Overall

This season was good but due to multiple focuses it doesn't have the continuous strategical working of S1 and S2.

mernst23

Amazing season

Dat debate scene, dat stamper handing the cell phone off to frank scene, that final diatribe, and every scene with petrov was like watching a bizzarro frank, dude was awesome

Perfection.

Euuugh I can't remember what the hell happened in the first two series. I know he became President at the end, but outside of that... does it recap at the start of S3E1?

Hamlet

Episode 3:
So many burns during this episode "It's crawling with artists out there, maybe your wife will find something she likes"
"To President Petrov and his little pickle"
Pretty neat that they got the actual Pussy Riot to appear in the episode.

zychi

Banned
After watching the entire season.

People won't like this season because Underwood isn't "as powerful" as before, despite the fact that he's more powerful than ever.
This season was the process of crushing who he was and a lot of people like to see him winning, and when you present an entire season on him losing ... people will get mad.

I liked the season and could be the best so far.

What do you think?
Except none of that is true this season.

El Daniel

Lars Mikkelsen, very good in Forbrydelsen.

Older brother of Mads Mikkelsen.

2BmZkLn.jpg

aravuus

I had only watched season 1 until yesterday, always thinking "it's all politics, it can't be that interesting, I'd rather play something" during the first minutes of the first episode of s2, making me stop. But yesterday, I (kind of) forced myself to watch the s02e01 until the end, and before I noticed, I had been watching House of Cards for 7 hours straight lol.

Only a couple of episodes to go in season 2, can't wait to start season 3 later today!

Addi

Episode 2:
Why did Claire cry and cook the eggs after Francis said she could be the UN ambassador?

I took it as
you have to break some eggs to make an omelette. She wanted to become ambassador on her own merits, keeping up the clean appearances (the memorial eggs or what they are called), but when she failed she had to swallow her pride and get the the job through Frank.

Dennis

Banned
Doug is a slimy piece of shit. And not an entertaining one.

I am up to episode 3 and all the focus on him leaves me cold.

Too bad he didn't die in that forest.

slit

I am six episodes in and I am so far loving it more than both previous seasons.

The show is excellent.

Also episode 6:
Frank doesn't like indie games, HA! That should piss some off around here

Hamlet

Episode 5:
Freddy!
Never suspected Monument Valley would have an impact on the story. Also lol at "It's not a console game" from Frank. Nice to have Kim Dickens join the cast. She's fantastic.

Sanjuro

Just finished the season. It's a slower season than the second, which for this kind of show works well.

Problem? Last season started with an absurd episode. This season ends with one. Kind of a disappointing ending all around and seems this show is never going to upstage it's first season.

Spineker

Banned
I wish there was a bit more context for Franks poor approval ratings. Also,
his attacks on welfare and entitlements seem to be so unlike what a Democratic president would do that anyone would wonder which team he was batting for.
Why would the Republicans ever block legislation like that in this day and age? They sound like the Tea Parties wet dream.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
This show is incredibly well written.

Actually I'd say the writing is by far the weakest part of the programme. It's way too on the nose. I'm ok with the politics being contrived, but there are some very clumsy character moments.

ep1
the gravestone scene is pathetic.
ep4
the statue and confession scene is one of the worst written scenes I've watched in a while/

FiggyCal

Banned
I wish there was a bit more context for Franks poor approval ratings. Also,
his attacks on welfare and entitlements seem to be so unlike what a Democratic president would do that anyone would wonder which team he was batting for.
Why would the Republicans ever block legislation like that in this day and age? They sound like the Tea Parties wet dream.

Probably shouldn't read this if you're not past ep 7 or so.

The whole "we have to put all options on the table, including welfare" has become a staple of both parties. And might explain his low approval ratings. That and he was never actually voted into office; nor was his wife approved for the UN position by congress and then she proceeds to completely botch the middle east/ Russia situation. People don't like change and it's a clear parallel between irl Obamacare. I don't think they needed more context for his low approval.

But I am confused by the writing this season. I'm not entirely convinced that the politics in this show make all that much sense. For rational thinking people like Claire and Francis to think that she would slide in to the UN position without much backfire is dumb -- and the fact that she still got the position without hell is even worse. And I don't remember the specifics -- but at one point somehow both Israel and Palestine were siding with the Russians against the United States. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Hamlet

Episode 6:
"What are you looking at"
Gavin sure is quite the manipulator. Must be that pure McPoyle blood at work.

kgtrep

Finished the last episode.
I thought the ending was underwhelming, it's something we can see in any drama. I guess I was hoping this show would be smarter to go on some other route, cause massive casualties (just one?), and affirm Frank's re-election. I really liked Tom's character and his addition to the overall story. Petrov was a nice reflection of Frank, and his story should have been dealt with more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom