• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards - Season 2 on Netflix - *Spoilers for all of S2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
Fourth episode was very good and the VP spent the majority
locked in his office
. L

D4lIkxd.gif

This is good but I'm thinking of a different scene! He's going into the president's office and he shuts the door before the camera gets into the room, but he maintains eye contact with it while closing the door.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This is gonna be repeated over and over, and probably has been repeated to death, but holy shit at the first episode.

Ep 1
You know the entire time, with the guy drumming on the bucket and everything, it was obvious they were TEASING that Zoe might die(alongside the occasional glances to see if a train was coming or not)...but fuck, I had no idea they were actually gonna off her this early. When she chased after Frank my eyes were just wide opened and when he pushed her I literally said "WHATTHEFUCK!!!?!? WHAT THE FUCK?!? WHAT THE FUCK!!!"

What an incredible start to the season.

MormaPope

Banned
Just finished the second season.

Overall, thought it was really good but liked the previous season more. Peter's story and arc had a lot of heft to it, no arc this season felt as resonant or chilling. As a whole the arcs were weaker, but season 2 had better characters overall. While there was a lot of variety with showing what different characters were doing, the main focus in season 2 isn't extremely compelling. Side stories were usually more interesting then what was happening with the main arc.

Don't know if there were scheduling conflicts or other things going on, but sometimes characters and plot stuff ends up being abandoned out of nowhere. While I sorta enjoy cutting some stuff so briskly, it was always jarring. Performances were spot on, casting was also spot on. The soundtrack needs to be spiced up, feels like there are two tracks, brooding mystery and exciting mystery.

This season felt more experimental and less focused, leading to mostly good results, but not great ones. Season 1 is great, whereas the second season is good.

Looking forward to Season 3.

Draconian

Did I really just get spoiled on something big because a poster in this thread labelled the spoiler with the wrong episode? I knew I should've bailed out of this thread and not clicked anything until I've seen the whole season. I've learned my lesson smh.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm talking about Joeboy's post the last page that has episode 1 and 4 spoilers, with an unlabelled line in the middle that I assumed was another episode 1 spoiler. Apparently not because I haven't seen that happen yet and now I'm pretty mad.

This show's gone full on soap opera this season, even compared to the first which could be ridiculous at times. It's kind of hilarious. Definitely noticed that I've been watching at a slower pace this time, I can't watch more than two episodes in a row without getting tired of it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This is good but I'm thinking of a different scene! He's going into the president's office and he shuts the door before the camera gets into the room, but he maintains eye contact with it while closing the door.

Oh yeah, that was a great clip too.

I should sleep. Not watch another episode.

/turns back on Netflix

Oh man,
the GOW ascension scene. Frank fucking Underwood was going to sit down for a round of GOW ascension multiplayer. I don't even know what to think anymore.

JoeBoy101

Did I really just get spoiled on something big because a poster in this thread labelled the spoiler with the wrong episode? I knew I should've bailed out of this thread and not clicked anything until I've seen the whole season. I've learned my lesson smh.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm talking about Joeboy's post the last page that has episode 1 and 4 spoilers, with an unlabelled line in the middle that I assumed was another episode 1 spoiler. Apparently not because I haven't seen that happen yet and now I'm pretty mad.

I wasn't speaking from certainty about that spoiler, just that I was wrong about what I thought would happen so far. You didn't get spoiled.

Throwing this in tags, just in case, but again, I've only seen through 4 episodes and its essentially stating about my wrong prediction:

SO FAR, Rachel isn't dead. I still would be surprised if she makes it through the season, but I would have seriously imagined Zoe living longer than her. That's what I was speaking towards.

Regardless though, I'll take the line out because I don't want to give people the wrong idea.

LordCanti

Just finished the last episode. These spoilers are for ALL OF SEASON 2. You've been warned.

Final episode included!

This was a great season of TV, but I feel like the show blew its biggest (if not its entire) wad in the first episode, which is also the strongest of them all for me. The web of lies and betrayal was truly something to behold though. Tusk's last minute decision to fuck Walker (one assumes that Frank will pardon one, if not both) was rather masterfully orchestrated by Frank and involved a whole lot of pawns moving around. It was truly magnificent to watch, even if the amount of reversals and counters would rival a royal rumble wrestling match.

The conclusion was exactly what I assumed it would be considering the fact that we heard about the Season 3 pickup, and that was kind of a drag. It was the journey that was important though, and not the destination. I feel like the show lost something when it got rid of Zoe and I don't think that the chemistry between Frank and Zoe was replicated by anything in this season. Maybe I'd feel differently if seeing Kevin Spacey fake kiss another man floated my boat, but honestly, that's not my idea of a good time. Remy getting his with the whip wasn't exactly setting my world on fire either. Their whole romance felt forced.

I don't know what a season 3 would look like at this point. Frank can't be anywhere near the stripper, his dead chief of staff, or the hacker anymore. His involvement next season has to be from a place above all of that (no more subway meetings; That shit doesn't fly when you're in charge of the free world) which is going to change the dynamic. I'm looking forward to it though. We've seen the rise, and now I assume we'll see the fall.

Blackhead

Redarse
Just finished itself myself. Kept me up all night. LordCanti have you seen the UK version?

Spoiler for Season 3
Spacey has an affair with Kerry Washington ;)

MercuryLS

Banned
Without being spoilery, did you enjoy the season? I am halfway through and it has been a bit of a mixed bag for me.

It's a good season, I'm not sure if I liked it as much as the first one though. There are some parts where Francis is manipulating people I'm like "come on son, you can't be that naive".

Sepp

Banned
The show is entertaining but also totally silly. I cannot take it seriously to be honest.

The Wire for example is far more convincing in showing how dysfunctional the american political system is.

The end of season one had me worried, the first episode of this season has me wondering if I'll make it all the way through.

As my wife said--"-Is this House of Cards or an episode of Scandal!?!"

jtb

Banned
Finished. Tons of fun. Empty (often ridiculously unbelievable, though that's par for the course by the time S2 rolled around) fun, but definitely fun.

Didn't like the [finale spoiler]
cliffhanger. Doug was a good character last time around, and he got stuck with literally the two worst story lines this show has ever attempted. the hacker storyline = awful awful awful. and the Rachel storyline was just embarrassing, pointless, and dragged out over 13 fucking episodes. there had to be a better way of dealing with that arc than what we got.

Draconian

I wasn't speaking from certainty about that spoiler, just that I was wrong about what I thought would happen so far. You didn't get spoiled.

Throwing this in tags, just in case, but again, I've only seen through 4 episodes and its essentially stating about my wrong prediction:

SO FAR, Rachel isn't dead. I still would be surprised if she makes it through the season, but I would have seriously imagined Zoe living longer than her. That's what I was speaking towards.

Regardless though, I'll take the line out because I don't want to give people the wrong idea.

Oh ok, cool then. Sorry if I got a little panicky about it, but after I read it I was like "What? When did that happen?" Anyway, no worries, dude. :p

Samyy

The show is entertaining but also totally silly. I cannot take it seriously to be honest.

The Wire for example is far more convincing in showing how dysfunctional the american political system is.

Spacey has said himself how this is not supposed to be a reflection of the political system in any way, shape or form.

jakncoke

Banned
Finished. Tons of fun. Empty (often ridiculously unbelievable, though that's par for the course by the time S2 rolled around) fun, but definitely fun.

Didn't like the [finale spoiler]
cliffhanger. Doug was a good character last time around, and he got stuck with literally the two worst story lines this show has ever attempted. the hacker storyline = awful awful awful. and the Rachel storyline was just embarrassing, pointless, and dragged out over 13 fucking episodes. there had to be a better way of dealing with that arc than what we got.

And really
how many punches did it take from rachel to ko him like 2? from a girl like rachel, totally unrealistic

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah I sort of got through season 1 despite my annoyance at the dumb Spacey narration to the audience thing (I hate that technique in anything I see), and it got moderately engaging by the end. But Season 2 is really over the top. It's clownish in many ways now. Spacey is a caricature more than a plausible human being at this point. And the
hacker
shit is beyond dumb. I haven't seen the final three episodes, but I can't imagine they redeem that trash.

Linius

Really liking this season so far. Of course the story is totally ridiculous but I really enjoy all the scheming and backstabbing. And the acting is just so good. Finished eight episodes now.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Starting up 10th episode now. Really loving it so far. I wish we could have one episode without the really-dramatic-drama though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom