• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards - Season 2 on Netflix - *Spoilers for all of S2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm not too sure if Season 2 was as good as the first there were certainly some storylines that seemed to drag on a bit but I also remember a bit of that from season 1 especially some of the Zoey stuff from last year.

I can say that both seasons really entertained me and made me care pretty deeply about some of the characters. It's amazing to me how good this show is. Like pizza even when it's kinda bad it's still really good. Netflix is doing an outstanding job. Really hope to see more from them of this caliber.

I think he
planned it, or else he wouldn't have asked Zoe to delete all her messages right there. He at least knew it was a possibility.

ALSO, it just dawned on me why Claire was asking a fertility doctor about medications. She was never trying to have a baby. She was using it against Gillian. Wow. That went right over my head.

Episode 1

Still surprised that started in season 1.

ivysaur12

Banned
Still surprised that started in season 1.

To be fair, they knew they had a pickup so they could just roll it in from 13 to 14.
It just wasn't telegraphed too obviously because I assumed it was sincere, or that it would play later in the season.

BearPawB

Banned
I do wonder how some might view it differently experienced as a week to week show rather than a 12 hour long movie.

As for all the insanity/ludicrousness of the plot. I don't think anyone could argue it isn't damn entertaining television

jtb

Banned
I enjoyed the show, even though I felt most of the subplots either played out too long or were just weak in general.

my biggest problem with the subplots is that [vague spoilers for everything]
they just don't go anywhere. they keep hanging the threat of HUGE CONSEQUENCES over the characters' heads but at some point, it's pretty obvious that nothing is stopping Underwood from just obliterating everything in his path and that these subplots will be dealt with in an unsatisfying way that sweeps it under the rug and promptly forgets about. case in point: Claire's non profit, Russo's assistant, Zoe, etc. All random subplots that weren't resolved with so much as promptly dropped and forgot about

To be fair, they knew they had a pickup so they could just roll it in from 13 to 14.
It just wasn't telegraphed too obviously because I assumed it was sincere, or that it would play later in the season.

Definitely but it still is rare a show does that even when it has a pickup

LordCanti

Ep 1
If he didn't plan it, it's the luckiest thing of all time. Camera positioned so that he would never be seen even when he turned and walked out of the subway and turning her around so that it looks like she jumped or tripped forward from the angle of the camera. Given that, I'm assuming he planned it just cause it would be insane luck if he didn't.

He definitely did. If he
had heard real contrition from her, he would have let her live. All he heard was "I think you murdered Russo and I'm trying to prove it" though. She had to go.

Just finished episode 1 of the new season. Watching Kate Mara and her boyfriend interact was painful. It was like when a girl fucks a group of friends, and one of them dates her and gets all asshurt about her sexual history. I was getting sick of the back and forth there, and the boyfriends insecurity.

When Frank threw her in front of the train I literally did the banderas.gif. It's fucked up but I didn't care for her or the other two reporters. I am glad I don't have to deal with that relationship subplot.

spacey breaking the 4th wall may be gimmicky but god damn if it doesn't make me laugh most of the time and provide the show with some levity

kirblar

they just don't go anywhere. they keep hanging the threat of HUGE CONSEQUENCES over the characters' heads but at some point, it's pretty obvious that nothing is stopping Underwood from just obliterating everything in his path and that these subplots will be dealt with in an unsatisfying way that sweeps it under the rug and promptly forgets about. case in point: Claire's non profit, Russo's assistant, Zoe, etc. All random subplots that weren't resolved with so much as promptly dropped and forgot about
Zoe and the non-profit being axed in Ep1 both seemed to be course corrections on the part of the show. They were the weakest parts of S1.

hom3land

Just finished and sad that my little theory
frank setup the mailed white powder So he would have more time to get the votes
wasnt answered.

Blackhead

Redarse

What? ! All your examples were resolved, even if not to your satisfaction, and these sacrificial pawns enabled other moves for the king and queen.The machinations were a joy to behold. The only one that was almost pointless was
Rachel

MormaPope

Banned
I enjoyed the show, even though I felt most of the subplots either played out too long or were just weak in general.

Really? I felt the subplots were executed better than the main plot. The only sub plots I found to be weak were
reforming military sexual abuse and the president's relationship with his wife. And whatever dumb fuck Lucas was doing.

The main plot honestly reminded me of how events flow in Death Note or Dexter, which isn't necessarily bad but doesn't really fit a show about politics.

Yeah. Mild Spoilers:
At no point do any of these actively emerge as real conflicts, you never really wonder if Frank's going to survive these issues or anything. Honestly, the Underwoods never really stumble, even their miscalculations seem to play into some bigger overall plan. It gets disappointing. I was hoping for someone to emerge as a legitimate threat for next season but that doesn't really happen either.

I think he
planned it, or else he wouldn't have asked Zoe to delete all her messages right there. He at least knew it was a possibility.

ALSO, it just dawned on me why Claire was asking a fertility doctor about medications. She was never trying to have a baby. She was using it against Gillian. Wow. That went right over my head.

Episode 1

Oh, yeah over my head as well.

jtb

Banned
Zoe and the non-profit being axed in Ep1 both seemed to be course corrections on the part of the show. They were the weakest parts of S1.

I agree. And they didn't seem to know what to do with
Russo's assistant, so they got rid of her too
. Only problem was they replaced them with weaker subplots.
Hacker + Rachel were both new lows for the show, I thought. And Doug's character was tethered to both of them :(

(pretty general s2 spoilers)

MormaPope

Banned
Yeah. Mild Spoilers:
At no point do any of these actively emerge as real conflicts, you never really wonder if Frank's going to survive these issues or anything. Honestly, the Underwoods never really stumble, even their miscalculations seem to play into some bigger overall plan. It gets disappointing. I was hoping for someone to emerge as a legitimate threat for next season but that doesn't really happen either.

Yup.

Another issue is
the Underwood's don't really change at all. Nothing phases them that much, they're just as ruthless as they were, there's a solution for any problems they experience and there's no repercussions or consequences when they fuck up . They were untouchable.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah. Mild Spoilers:

Season 3 speculation
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that the First Lady was as naive as her husband. But tale was already foretold as the Underwoods' ascension to the throne so I can't fault them for you know success. I hope the third season turns that on its head with a Karl Rove republican that guts Francis as he goes for

Yup.

Another issue is
the Underwood's don't really change at all. Nothing phases them that much, they're just as ruthless as they were, there's a solution for any problems they experience and there's no repercussions or consequences when they fuck up . They were untouchable.

There were some missed opportunities
When Claire appeared genuinely shaken at the price for her behavior at the end of last season and the end of this season. They could have really done something special there for her character overall. Also when Frank had that moment with Freddy. The monologue afterwards ruined any emotional depth that was to come out of that scene.

MormaPope

Banned
. Only problem was they replaced them with weaker subplots.
Hacker + Rachel were both new lows for the show, I thought. And Doug's character was tethered to both of them :(

I really like Doug as a character, so I found the Rachel sub plot interesting. The weakest sub plot was Lucas becoming a internet crusader/vigilante. It was hard to have sympathy for Lucas due to how stupid and naive he was.

Karl2177

Yeah. Mild Spoilers:

Spoilers (ep 13):
Stamper and Frank's unquestioning trust towards him has been the biggest threat to the Underwoods the entire time. Stamper simply saying that he had things under control instead of sharing the specifics with Frank will probably be what undoes him. We have Rachel running around and there's no one to keep her from someone like Jeanine. Also the hacker guy can put Stamper(and by proxy Underwood) to Rachel. And it all leads back to Rachel and Russo.

jtb

Banned
Yup.

Another issue is

Yeah. Mild Spoilers:

I agree. That's why I think Russo and Jackie were the heart of their respective seasons. I loved Jackie's arc and even though it took a few minor turns I wasn't fond of, I wish it was give far more screen time than it ended up getting vs. a lot of these subplots that were not particularly compelling

I think he

Episode 1

EPISODE 1 SPOILERS

I saw it as he set everything up, but gave her an out if she wanted a clean slate. Then when she started asking too many questions he put it into motion.

And yeah, it took me a bit to get to that on that ep too. So good though.

Watching episode 1.
Holy shit. He just threw her in front of the train!?!?!?!?!?!

Is there a Season 1 summary video somewhere?

Spoilers (ep 13):
Stamper and Frank's unquestioning trust towards him has been the biggest threat to the Underwoods the entire time. Stamper simply saying that he had things under control instead of sharing the specifics with Frank will probably be what undoes him. We have Rachel running around and there's no one to keep her from someone like Jeanine. Also the hacker guy can put Stamper(and by proxy Underwood) to Rachel. And it all leads back to Rachel and Russo.

Mild Spoilers/Speculation
I hope it evolves into something. I could also see Rachel meeting up with Russo's GF and there starting to be a coalition against Frank. But we'll have to wait till S3 to see if that happens.

Seen the entire season now. Everything else in this post is spoilers.

The journalist subplot was solved too easy. I expect it to come back in season 3. It has to.

Back and forth between Frank and Tusk was awesome. I like how you never knew who had the upper hand. I did not like how Tusk seemed to be the architect of every single obstacle, but I guess that is the nature of the show.

The episode that showed how both Claire and Frank destroyed everyone around them was a bit superfluous considering they have already murdered several people.

Liam McPoyle was on and off for me. I liked how sometimes they were very accurate with how hacking and computer related stuff works, but other time they were really stretching.

All this being said, I love how awesome the full force of Francis is when he is able to control everything. I am rooting for him, but I am in no way endorsing him. And I hate that there is 363 days until I get to see him as potus.

jtb

Banned
My biggest problem with the Rachel storyline [all of s2 spoilers]
, aside from being terrible, is that, going forwards—it's going to be a bit ridiculous if what takes Frank down is this hugely convoluted web of all these various people when Frank threw out any and all sense of tact and subtlety when he killed Russo and then fucking THREW ZOE IN FRONT OF A TRAIN. like, there's just two hugely different levels of tone going on with that and I personally think House of Cards is better off not pretending it can pull off such a large plot with so many moving pieces when all those pieces are so incredibly dull and uninteresting. it might want to think it's that show, but it isn't—so I'd rather they focus on it's strengths rather than pretend to play the long game.

If Rachel ends up being the downfall of Frank, that won't be satisfying because of the comically evil means Frank has already exhausted up until this point—it'll just be tonally inconsistent because it's so obvious that she should have been dealt with far more permanently than she actually was. Though I guess a lot of that has to do with how much you buy Doug's obsession with Rachel. I thought everything about that storyline was cringeworthy and terrible so maybe that's why I'm not particularly enthused about it being used as the mechanism to take down Frank.

ivysaur12

Banned
EPISODE 1 SPOILERS

I saw it as he set everything up, but gave her an out if she wanted a clean slate. Then when she started asking too many questions he put it into motion.

And yeah, it took me a bit to get to that on that ep too. So good though.

That's exactly how I read it.

zychi

Banned
finished the season. ending was predictable. but i loved it. did all but one episode yesterday. played through the last of us dlc and then finished off the last episode.

now i gotta wait a whole damn year for next season. only downside to this netflix idea of releasing everything at once :/

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I didn't think Claire was that bad last season when I watched it recently... They sure have managed to turn her into a Grade A bitch this year though. Wow. I would rather face off with Frank than her.

This show is so damn good. I'm just finishing Episode 7.

EDIT: A friend just told me she was insane last season too. So now I feel like a sociopath or some shit for enjoying her.

LordCanti

I completely forgot to comment on Netflix when I reviewed this season:

Good sweet God...I don't know who is at fault (Comcast, probably) but the viewing experience was miserable for me on my 60mbit line. Wasn't this the show that was supposed to stream in 4K later this year? What a complete farce. The show dropped out of HD all the time and made me think my vision was going or something. It's not like it dropped from HD quality to DVD quality either; We're talking a drop from HD to a pixelated mess. This wasn't prime time viewing hours either when I could understand the pipes being congested.

I'm very disappointed in that aspect of it. I've never had this experience with Netflix and Comcast before, so if this was a post-net-neutrality fuck you to Netflix on Comcast's behalf...it worked. It was really a fuck you to me though.

Fey

Banned

(general S2 spoilers)
I was kind of disappointed by this. In S1, she was a main character, but really only a part of Russo's arc, who then died, so I was really curious to see what her role would be next ...

And it was essentially nothing. She was pretty much just there to cause a rift in the president's marriage, which really could have been done by anyone, and then was immediately cast away.

And yeah, I also agree that Jackie was the best thing about the season, even though I felt a little meh about her relationship with Remi.

squadr0n

Im not sure if this has been posted yet but has anyone been able to access the Director's Commentary for season 1 on Xbox One? I can access the subtitles menu but its not there? Anyone else have this problem?

Draconian

I completely forgot to comment on Netflix when I reviewed this season:

Good sweet God...I don't know who is at fault (Comcast, probably) but the viewing experience was miserable for me on my 60mbit line. Wasn't this the show that was supposed to stream in 4K later this year? What a complete farce. The show dropped out of HD all the time and made me think my vision was going or something. It's not like it dropped from HD quality to DVD quality either; We're talking a drop from HD to a pixelated mess. This wasn't prime time viewing hours either when I could understand the pipes being congested.

I'm very disappointed in that aspect of it. I've never had this experience with Netflix and Comcast before, so if this was a post-net-neutrality fuck you to Netflix on Comcast's behalf...it worked. It was really a fuck you to me though.

What device are you using? On my Wii U, it won't stream in HD until past midnight when it's no longer peak hours. I can stream HD on my laptop all day though. It's pretty weird and really annoying.

LordCanti

What device are you using? On my Wii U, it won't stream in HD until past midnight when it's no longer peak hours. I can stream HD on my laptop all day though. It's pretty weird and really annoying.

PS4. I've had no trouble streaming HD on it before at all hours :/

I was really bummed. The show is so well shot that it was a shame to have to look at it through a blur filter (essentially) twice an episode or so (for maybe a few minutes at a time).

Some cunt in The Verge comments just spoiled House of Cards season 2.

Yeah that's why I binged it. I knew people would do that :/

Edit: I think The Verge did a livestream of them watching it, didn't they? It's understandable that the comments would be talking about everything that happened, unless you weren't in a House of Cards related story (in which case I digress). Still sucks though.

inm8num2

Some cunt in The Verge comments just spoiled House of Cards season 2.

I've been avoiding reviews and other discussions precisely for this reason. However, the Verge article on their front page indicates it's an entire review of season 2, so I'm not entirely sure if discussing spoilers was off-limits there. Not to say it doesn't suck you got spoiled or that it's your fault. :/

zychi

Banned
(general S2 spoilers)
I was kind of disappointed by this. In S1, she was a main character, but really only a part of Russo's arc, who then died, so I was really curious to see what her role would be next ...

And it was essentially nothing. She was pretty much just there to cause a rift in the president's marriage, which really could have been done by anyone, and then was immediately cast away.

And yeah, I also agree that Jackie was the best thing about the season, even though I felt a little meh about her relationship with Remi.
end of s2 spoilers and potential s3
i think she comes back in season 3. i think her and rachel are what knocks frank down and collapses the "house of cards." i feel like frank has forgotten she knows so much and can basically pinpoint was frank did to russo

so yeah. i enjoyed this immensely, and hope its back before xmas this year :/

edit: i used my iphone 5 and chromecast to watch this, and it was beautiful. no problems whatsoever. watched at peak hours too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom