• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead: Overkill - Extended Cut (PS3) |OT| Bigger, longer, deeper, harder

mwUd2.jpg

Description:
The game takes place as Special Agent G -- the hero of The House Of The Dead series -- is given his first assignment fresh out of the AMS academy. Teamed up with hard-boiled Detective Washington, they are sent to investigate stories of mysterious disappearances in small-town Louisiana. Little do they know what blood-soaked mutant depravity awaits them in the streets and swamps of Bayou City.
Guinness World Record press release:
The global authority on record-breaking, Guinness World Records, today announced that recently released The House of the Dead: OVERKILL (SEGA®, 2009) has broken into the Guinness World Records Gamer’s Edition for most swearing in a video game with a whopping 189 uses of the f-word.

Setting a record in this brand new category, the title recognizes The House of the Dead: OVERKILL as the most profane video game in history. During three hours of relatively limited dialogue, the campaign features 189 uses of the f-word, which equates to just over one per minute and three percent of all words spoken in the game.

(Editor's note: Mafia II has since taken the record.)
Release Date:

US 10/25/11
AS 10/25/11
AU 10/27/11
EU 10/28/11

New Features:
  • PlayStation Move and Sharp Shooter compatible
  • OVERKILL fully remastered – available in high definition, with stereoscopic 3D for the first time ever
  • Extended with 2 additional levels not featured in the original game
  • Exclusive crossbow weapon
  • New baby mutant type
  • New Hardcore Mode – mutants can only be killed with headshots
  • New Classic Mode – play through the entire game using only the AMS Magnum
  • Exclusive Missing Reel – an extended boss fight with “Mother” in “OVERKILL”, the game’s final level
  • Online leaderboards to track high scores and player statistics
  • Collectibles to grab throughout all levels to unlock bonus materials; comic pages, music tracks, 3D models and 2D artwork
  • New PlayStation Trophies to unlock
  • Improved boss fights in all levels
  • New and improved cutscenes using motion capture

Oh yeah and if you have an old pair of those red/blue 3D glasses laying around (and who doesn't?), you can play in 3D with no special TV required! Check it out:

hodoverkillec4_19496.sgaf.jpg

Trailer:

http://youtu.be/RekzeYQwmqk

Reviews:

Metacritic: currently standing at a 74 average

Got my Amazon preorder today, also picked up a sharpshooter from Best Buy for $20. All Playstation Move controllers and accessories are 50% off this week, if any of you were waiting for a good price to grab a Move or navi controller.

Awesome dude, picking this up this weekend, too involved with Batman atm. Very excited to get into this since I never bought it on the Wii.

dallow_bg said:
That 3D mode gonna make me sick.
I just tried it... It is somewhat nauseating, haha.

Also according to the back of the box apparently you can use the regular controller instead of a Move. It wouldn't be as much fun, obviously.

Sagitario

I will wait until it's really cheap. I just opened and ripped my Wii version the other day.

Too bad I only have one Move, cause playing Ghost Squad and HotD1&2 on Wii with a friend was so freaking fun.

King of the Potato People said:
What is G's real name?
Is he ever gonna tell anyone what that fucking G stands for?

Honestly, I've wanted Overkill for a while but never really bothered to pick it up. I don't think this is worth buying without Move, so I'll probably wind up looking for the original Wii title instead.

Platy

I just want to say that, as a wii owner, this game is the most fun i had in a "light gun" game in years ... so if the ps3 version is what it looks (an even better version) ... then i recomend anyone that like light gun games

also, the game is HILARIOUS

Square Triangle said:
With the PS3 supporting a keyboard. SEGA, let's release Typing of the Dead on PSN eh?
I second this.

I third this.

I infinite this.

Seriously, I want that game on my everything.

As for Overkill, I bought it day one on Wii. Don't see any reason to buy it on PS3. For those who have no Wii or never played it, definitely pick it up. So good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got the game the other day. I like how the dialogue goes like this:

FUCK FUCK FUCK BITCH MOTHERFUCKER BITCH ASSHOLE FUCK MUTANTS FUCK BITCH

Galdelico

Hey guys, could you tell me if US version of Overkill is censored as the European one seems to be?

For those who have already beaten Papa's Palace, watch this video from the Wii version (from around minute 2.55 on)...

You can see a guy shaking his legs from inside a giant meat grinder.

Well, basically, from what a friend of mine reported on another forum, this specific scene seems to be censored in PAL Overkill (
the mincer is empty
).
Has it been cut from the US game as well?

Thanks in advance GAF. :)

Galdelico said:
Hey guys, could you tell me if US version of Overkill is censored as the European one seems to be?

For those who have already beaten Papa's Palace, watch this video from the Wii version (from around minute 2.55 on)...

You can see a guy shaking his legs from inside a giant meat grinder.

Well, basically, from what a friend of mine reported on another forum, this specific scene seems to be censored in PAL Overkill (
the mincer is empty
).
Has it been cut from the US game as well?

Thanks in advance GAF. :)
Il let you know when I get there, I won't be putting in a full play session until next weekend though (when a friend comes to town.)

Galdelico

Neuromancer said:
Il let you know when I get there, I won't be putting in a full play session until next weekend though (when a friend comes to town.)
No worries mate, thanks alot!

I'd love me some House of the Dead, but I hate any form of censorship, so I'm looking forward to your heads-up in order to decide whether to import the game or not.

Produce

After watching an US stream of the game, it seems the missing legs in the mincer is worldwide.

It is so weird watching the zombie look up and there is nothing there.

Produce said:
After watching an US stream of the game, it seems the missing legs in the mincer is worldwide.

It is so weird watching the zombie look up and there is nothing there.
Very weird. I wonder why they took it out.

Produce

Neuromancer said:
Very weird. I wonder why they took it out.

I dunno. I think it was more an oversight than a deliberate choice to be honest. But then again, after playing the game, everything kinda felt 'clean' to me...

Galdelico

Thanks guys.

Such a shame... I know myself and I'm sure I wouldn't completely enjoy the game, knowing it's somehow edited. Also, Produce's last post makes me think the whole game may have been toned down in terms of gore/violence.

Top Bottom