• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are there still no great X-Men games?

Ya ya, I know there are a couple b-tier ones like X-Men origins: Wolverine or the Ultimate Alliance-style top down clickers.

And ya ya, I know that Wolverine is coming out as basically the next Spider-Man game (which is looking less and less interesting after all the leaks).

But IMHO the best one out there is Midnight Suns, and even that was half awesome turned-based scenarios mixed in with half absolutely terrible “friendship simulator” crap.

Where is the X-Men game that finally puts you in control of the team and let’s you kick some Marvel bad guy ass??

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
X-Men_%281993_Sega_video_game_cover%29.jpg

Honestly, I'd buy the hell out of a X-Mansion simulator in the vein of Midnight Suns. The X-men are 60% drama/40% heroics anyway, so the Midnight Suns "friendship" stuff would fit them perfectly.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A lot of the best X-Men stuff is from the late 90’s. Legends was the last X-Men game that was decent.

The crap they pulled with X-Men Destiny on 360 was embarrassing. Only Capcom and Konami could do something with the X-Men. Everything else seems to be trash. The Wolverine game from 2009 was not bad either.

I don’t think writers and game designers understand the X-Men due to all the Marvel movies and the fascination with Guardians/Avengers.

There were great X-Men games every generation starting with the Genesis. If there haven't been many in recent years it's because X-Men was supplanted by the godawful Avengers series that normies refused to stop slopping up for the past decade.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Trying to turn it into a action game imho is suicide. I'm willing to even say squad of some sort.

I feel maybe it makes sense for an RPG as we sorta have RPGs with different magical effects, characters that fly or have projectiles etc

I think a CRPG might make mores sense like having Night Crawler use his power to move across a map, Storm can do some weather shit to hurt enemies and alter terrain, character like Morph can pretend to be the enemy for a few turns, allowing you many move points, can steal, back stab etc

It can work tbh

Larxia

Midnight Suns was absolutely amazing to me, I didn't mind the dialogue, I really loved the game as a whole and it's indeed probably the best "x-men" game there is so far, especially if you have the DLCs.
I would have really loved a sequel set in Xavier's school, the concept was absolutely perfect for a X-Men game. It's my favorite marvel game by far.

Trying to turn it into a action game imho is suicide. I'm willing to even say squad of some sort.

I feel maybe it makes sense for an RPG as we sorta have RPGs with different magical effects, characters that fly or have projectiles etc

I think a CRPG might make mores sense like having Night Crawler use his power to move across a map, Storm can do some weather shit to hurt enemies and alter terrain, character like Morph can pretend to be the enemy for a few turns, allowing you many move points, can steal, back stab etc

It can work tbh
Pokémon style. Each mutant as xaviers personal pocket monster.
But I agree...a story focused RPG would fit the best, a mix between Persona and Disco Elysium

yurinka

How are there still no great X-Men games?​

This one for arcade was awesome, but for some reason all the videos I found on internet with 6 players there's really a single player using all characters with a single controller:

Where is the X-Men game that finally puts you in control of the team and let’s you kick some Marvel bad guy ass??
We saw in the leaks that the sequels of the Wolverine game being made at Insomniac are planned to be X-Men games. Sony got the rights for Wolverine and X-Men games for the next decade or so excluding family stuff or games like Marvel Alliance that include many Marvel IPs at the same time.

I'll have to try and play these with an emulator at some point. Never played them on Xbox at the time and I don't think they are BC.
There was a rumor last month that Marvel and Microsoft were looking at the catalogue of old Activision Marvel games in order to potentially do some remasters/re-releases.

I think the new guys in charge of Marvel Gaming have been much more open to reviving some of their older beloved games for a quick buck. I’m hoping the rumor turns out true.

Maitre_Piccolo

Neo Member
X-Men Legends 2 was the one for me, even though some aspects were pretty low quality and you could guess development time was short. Still its qualities made it great.

FeralEcho

X-Men Legends and Legends 2,X Men Origins Wolverine.

And a personal favourite for me is X2 Wolverine's Revenge,really underrated and unconventional as it's more of a stealth game with action scenes.

Top Bottom