• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can the ps5’s cpu make new york in insomniacs Spiderman 2 more interesting?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nothing in this thread requires more CPU. Most items mentioned (admittedly I skimmed) just requires more Ram.

The main thing that is going to be gained from the uprated CPU is a realistic probability of 60fps support.

Last edited:

Lethal01

That is cheating. You know they can't even come close to what that movie did. For the time being, give them a low bar. Spider verse is hard thing for Insomniac to do. The leap of faith, kingpin fight, spiderman fight. If they did those scene, I will be soaked wet.

I don't want those things, I want slightly improved dynamic animations.
A "Running while swinging" animation is not some mind bending technical feat.

nbkicker

Although just imagine if they done like the ratchet rift apart but spiderman with rifts going through different rifts into different versions of spiderman, although for me i hope insomniac drop the ps4 development now and every game forward from them is just ps5, especially after playing the new ratchet game, also would love to play as spider gwen if they gonna keep miles in the game

Last edited:

Yoboman

The world needs to be more fleshed out. I’d like more non Spider-Man activities. The ability to switch into the spidey suit when you see a crime or miss a date with MJ. And small world building stuff. Make NPCs more interesting . More store interiors. Stuff like that. The world was very static.
Yeah this is one thing I'd like

Be Peter Parker on your own watch. Throw in a ton of GTA / Yakuza style gameplay. You can get a job like pizza delivery, get cars and bikes, do mini games. Almost make it a social system like GTA4 where you're building your relationships

But when you're Peter Parker make it so that crimes are still popping up. If you're not doing them then the city gets dynamically worse over time. More crime pops up, the city gets dirtier, people get ruder, Jonah gets more outspoken, gangs start taking over bigger territories etc.

yamaci17

new and powerful cpus in those consoles won't be used to produce better, more detailed, more immersive games

instead they will be extravagantly used for worse optimization, they will allow developers to work less (less worktime spent on optimization), and they will be used to brute force run many games

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I just don’t know if the formula has any juice left In It.

Lifelike simulation would be nice, but the gameplay is just done.
I agree, I think there's nothing else to add at this point, maybe a new gadget or something but anything with formula. It's perfect.

All open world games don't feel like open living worlds.
- NPC count is too low
- Limited density and interactivity with objects
- Brain dead NPC behaviour

Take Watch Dogs Legion as an example. The latest open world game where central London you find 10 NPC's or less roaming the streets with an equal or lesser amount of cars on screen at any given time no matter the time of day or weather conditions.

These new CPU's and SSD's should allow for denser NPC populations. Streaming in stuff shouldn't be a problem and neither should NPC AI that is a little more advanced than just walking around aimlessly.

I'd like NPC's to randomly enter buildings (even if the player is not able to). If its an office block, have NPC's dressed in suits or smart casual wear enter the building with briefcase in hand for example. Or have a couple exit the building with coffee in hand ready for their morning break. And then have this activity massively reduced late at night.
How about NPC's taking out umbrellas or running for shelter when it starts raining?
Or NPC's dressing according to the weather?
What about NPC's running over to help another NPC that just got knocked down by a car or frantically calling for help?

IMO graphics are at an ok place right now. I'd be happy for Watch Dogs Legion type graphics but with a big improvement in NPC AI and object density.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Everyone will probably disagree with me. I say expand the franchise outside Spiderman. The original kind of mastered the gameplay. Yes they can add more densser detailed world. But at a point it will be the same old. I'd like Iron Man playable, Hulk playable and etc. It would add gameplay variety. It doenst need to be a ton of characters 3 is even fine to be honest but they all need to play completetly different to each other.

bitbydeath

Lean into GTA a little

-Two protagonists, Peter and Miles which you can switch between at any time.

-Let you switch out of costumes at anytime when nobody is around (think alleys) and then be able to drive vehicles

-Eating, have a hunger bar which controls your weight, eat too much and you get fat spidey

-Add a star system, you piss enough people off and you personally get JJ chasing after you IN A TANK!

-Prostitutes, Spidey does enough for the city and it’s time they give back. Have him throw a web around the both of them but you know what’s going on inside, YOU KNOW!

Edit: I forgot to add that they should include a currency called ‘Good Will’, it works just like regular money, except without physical cash, allowing you to spend your ‘Good Will’ on things like food, boats and housing.

Last edited:
All open world games don't feel like open living worlds.
- NPC count is too low
- Limited density and interactivity with objects
- Brain dead NPC behaviour

Take Watch Dogs Legion as an example. The latest open world game where central London you find 10 NPC's or less roaming the streets with an equal or lesser amount of cars on screen at any given time no matter the time of day or weather conditions.

These new CPU's and SSD's should allow for denser NPC populations. Streaming in stuff shouldn't be a problem and neither should NPC AI that is a little more advanced than just walking around aimlessly.

I'd like NPC's to randomly enter buildings (even if the player is not able to). If its an office block, have NPC's dressed in suits or smart casual wear enter the building with briefcase in hand for example. Or have a couple exit the building with coffee in hand ready for their morning break. And then have this activity massively reduced late at night.
How about NPC's taking out umbrellas or running for shelter when it starts raining?
Or NPC's dressing according to the weather?
What about NPC's running over to help another NPC that just got knocked down by a car or frantically calling for help?

IMO graphics are at an ok place right now. I'd be happy for Watch Dogs Legion type graphics but with a big improvement in NPC AI and object density.

Well that's the trick. PS9 or 10 will likely have the same crowd limits, as all the CPU and resources will be diverted to Quantum Ray Tracing, with every blade of grass accurately reflecting light in real time to the subatomic level. As NPCs shuffle around like it's Vice City. Same with combat. We peaked at Half Life and it's been downhill ever since. Why have good gameplay when you can have 120fps at 4K?

gamer82

I finally got round to finishing Spider-Man remaster and I have to say for a remastered game some areas where not that great while others where .

Miles morales looked so much better and I can’t wait to see Spider-Man 2 visuals. I’m hoping for a team Up game

I also think even thought miles was shorter I actually preferred it’s story and conclusion more.

It seemed like taking that charter away in Spider-Man was a tad early and it didn’t hit you in the feels like miles morales deaths .

two good games can’t wait for goblin and venom.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Short Answer: A better and greater roaster of villans with incredible facial details for expression and their influence on various sections of the city. Fisk's influence, needed to be setup like the tv show where you can witness it.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
call me crazy, i hope they could create a storyline which send us to a new City or a country, you know something like far from home.

I really dont think they should stick with the same city.

Speaking about this game, I hope they could improve the gameplay mechanic, I always find it amusing that you can still web spin an object or an enemy eventhough theres an object blocking in the way.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
It would be cool if the weather actually affected your webslinging in some way, like cold weather disabling your regular style because its too brittle so you have to locomote in a different way.
please no. Seems like a gimmick that would affect the gameplay in the long run.

Umbasaborne

Banned
call me crazy, i hope they could create a storyline which send us to a new City or a country, you know something like far from home.

I really dont think they should stick with the same city.

Speaking about this game, I hope they could improve the gameplay mechanic, I always find it amusing that you can still web spin an object or an enemy eventhough theres an object blocking in the way.
They could do like a spiderman international thing. There was that run where peter ran his own mega successful tech business and was doing spidey stuff in dubai

ZywyPL

Banned
Much more dense crowds and car traffics for starters, and then on top of that some random events happening every now and then while you swing around the city.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This all sounds great but the issue is that its an open world game, they can't simulate very complex happenings in places too far from you (ie when you aren't there and the world isn't rendered), so the way that would have to work is there would be set points when you happen upon them, ie inside gearing up, leaving the building, on route, inside during the robbery and leaving the crime scene.

Well; you could. A simulation like that doesn't involved rendered characters, just the data behind what is happening to them. When you play Fallout or Skyrim the characters wander around the world like that. If you have a mission where you are going someplace with someone, you have the option to follow along, or go do whatever you want.. and the characters go about on their way to the place you are both headed, and can get into random fights with animals and whatnot...

They then actually render everything happening in a pretty wide cone around you, but not the entire world, as that's pointless.. but you can tell the "data" for the simulation is still happening. Sometimes this breaks the game of course lol (you go to meet someone somewhere and they never show up.. if you trace backwards the path you might find them stuck on a tree or something.) But it's happening all around you.. you can hear distant fights.. and if you sit around long enough then go towards them, you happen upon a lot of dead folks. The game is of course also "spawning things" as well, but you can tell those things go into the simulation.

But some combo of a real simulation and "faked" things just being simulated when you "get near" could make a game so much better.. I really wish Sony would push the limits on that type of thing, and not so much "get crazy thing on screen" or "set pieces."

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Well; you could. A simulation like that doesn't involved rendered characters, just the data behind what is happening to them. When you play Fallout or Skyrim the characters wander around the world like that. If you have a mission where you are going someplace with someone, you have the option to follow along, or go do whatever you want.. and the characters go about on their way to the place you are both headed, and can get into random fights with animals and whatnot...

They then actually render everything happening in a pretty wide cone around you, but not the entire world, as that's pointless.. but you can tell the "data" for the simulation is still happening. Sometimes this breaks the game of course lol (you go to meet someone somewhere and they never show up.. if you trace backwards the path you might find them stuck on a tree or something.)

But some combo of a real simulation and "faked" things just being simulated when you "get near" could make a game so much better.. I really wish Sony would push the limits on that type of thing, and not so much "get crazy thing on screen" or "set pieces."

Yes I agree, thats why I said "...can't simulate very complex happenings in places too far from you", thats definitely what they do now, as far as I know most engines track the progress of NPCs far away from you with very simple simulations that change their update freqency as the distance from you increases, then updating the position of the NPC/the contents of their inventory and the like.

So I'm not sure an NPC can get stuck in a tree due to pathfinding or actually perform the actions of fighting other NPCs on the way to a location with the current way its done because its not that deep of a simulation, even if none of the meshes are visible. You technically could do it but I'm assuming they don't because it would take away too much CPU time, that they already use for the local modern game stuff, like complex physics, AI, sound simulation, animation blending, etc.

I do hope they can improve upon that going forward so open world games get to Hitman levels of simulation where you can literally see the NPC on the polar opposite side of the map going about according to the rules of their AI. They simulate all the same parts of the AI for the 299 NPCs on the map (Agent 47 is number 300 according to the devs, that was on Hitman 2016 though, maybe changed in H2/H3) when you aren't there but with a lowered movement update rate which you can sometimes see on the instinct-vision thingie if it glitches out, ie them teleporting a few feet every second or so.

I have a feeling its a tradeoff though, have tons of complex AI, physics and animations locally OR have more NPCs simulated more accurately/"immersively" outside of your current view or really far away. I don't know if the new console CPUs are going to facilitate that even at the end of this gen, but its not possible until someone does it!

A much more stylised game could do it right now I think, but then it wouldn't have the physics, animations, etc that make them feel like real people in the first place so maybe wouldn't have mass appeal even if it was a brilliant never before seen simulation of a world, which is a shame because graphics and fancy animations are great but ultimately the game is what counts to me.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So I'm not sure an NPC can get stuck in a tree due to pathfinding or actually perform the actions of fighting other NPCs on the way to a location with the current way its done because its not that deep of a simulation, even if none of the meshes are visible.

That's literally what happens in Skyrim sometimes and it's a decade old. It also runs on the PS4, which has the fraction of the CPU power of current gen. It's one of the somewhat unique things about Creation Engine games most don't appreciate.. a battle is a battle, and it is happening whether you show up or not.. if you get close to one, and listen for long enough.. it ends.. and you can walk over and see the dead bodies.

I'm not certain HOW MUCH farther they could push things; but Sony barely does anything like this at all right now, and I'm fairly certain they have the CPU power now to do at least something more with world simulation in their games.

At the very least they could spawn a lot more simulation in some sort of cone around you than they do now.

They have some of the most talented devs on the planet; I'd love to see them get creative with more than just graphics.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Simulate everything. We have had almost two decades of the same open world design pioneered by GTA3. it's time to throw out the book and start anew.

Go full destruction. Everyone kept blaming the CPU for lack of destruction, well now there is no excuse. Miles on PS5 already has well over a hundred NPCs in every street corner. Now they need to give them something to do. They need to tie in NPCs into gameplay. That's what makes the Sam Riami Spiderman movies so iconic. He is delivering pizzas but saving kids and random robberies in the process. Add in hundreds of those activities, tie it to a simulation and crank it to an 11. Want to do a mission or save a train from crashing? A side mission within a main mission that is the quintessential spiderman dilemma.

If I am fighting rhino or doc oct and the skyscrapers dont get smashed down then wtf is the point. Infamous had this great system where getting NPCs killed would earn you bad karma. Well, make this a game mechanic. If you cant stop destruction and NPC deaths then you get NYC turn against you. There is your hard mode right there.

Kuranghi

That's literally what happens in Skyrim sometimes and it's a decade old. It also runs on the PS4, which has the fraction of the CPU power of current gen.

Interesting, not sure if you know but is there anywhere I can read about that from the devs or the like, or for instance, see a video of someone expecting an NPC to be somewhere and then going to find them on the path between two places?

I played Skyrim a lot back then and I never knew it was like this, I know with the weddings it just spawned the NPCs outside the door, which led to the hilarity of dead poeple who were invited just spawning in the room as corpse because it literally teleported their corpse from the morgue/graveyard. Pretty cool stuff.

TimFL

I just want them to add a Peter Parker mechanic where you can freeroamy walk around as Peter, taking pictures with your camera etc. I‘ve been requesting this for decades now and I feel one day I‘ll get my wish fulfilled so the roleplayer in me is satisfied.

Could also be used to tie into a lot of cool branching story mechanics, approach as Peter or Spidey (similar to the Telltale Batman game that allowed you to pick how to tackle an issue).

I‘d also generally want them to venture into adaptive / branching story telling. A potential symbiote storyline could tie into such a feature very well (e.g. light / dark side options).

I don‘t really know what the additional power could bring to the table other than graphics improvements. I‘m pretty sure we‘re still getting the fake experience we‘re used to in terms of AI and backdrop, so I‘ll settle for fun gameplay mechanics instead.

Top Bottom