• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How hard is it to find a good CRT these days?

MAX PAYMENT

Because the OG Xbox can output at 480p, 720p and 1080i. It can display pretty well on a HD tv.
Although PAL Xboxes are locked to 480i / 576i and need to be softmodded to unlock the HD resolutions.
But weren't the games native 480p?

Kings Field

Kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of my Zeniths, Sonys, and RCA TVs a few years ago. Had the junk man come and clean out my whole shed.

evanft

The problem with 1440p monitors is that the vast majority of shaders are either optimized for 4K or 1080p, so the image is too dim (because the 4K phosphor mask is too compressed and that results in a loss of brightness), or not very well defined (because 1080p does not allow for a convincing phosphor mask).

However, the Cyberlab Shader Pack has CRT shaders optimized for 1440p resolution.

I recommend to use this shader:

MBZ__0__Smooth-Advance_Full_Reflections

And here are my settings, because the default settings have extremely washed out colors for some strange reason, and I was trying to match my SD CRT.

MBZ__0__Smooth-Advance_Full_Reflections / 1440p / CyberLab_Aperture_Grill_IV_OLED
My tweaks to the shader parameters:

In CRT "Brightness & Gamma" section
-gama in 2.05
-gama out 2.4
-post CRT brightness 2.0

In "Brightness Settings" section
-magic glow 0.4
-bloom strength 40
-gamma Correct 0

In "Digital Controls" section
-brightness 0.15

In "Signal Color Space"section
-Display Color Space 0
-Signal Type 0
-Gamut Compression 0

In "Guest Color Tweaks" section
-Saturation Adjustment wp_saturation 1.05
-Brigthness Adjustment 1.08

In "G-sharp Resampler" section
-G-Sharp ON 1
-Sharpness Definition 0.50

On 1080p display I recommend CRT royale shader, or TV flickering shader (from CRT kaio shader pack)

EDIT- After some testing I think TV flickering shader (from KAIO shader pack) work well in most games. I'm however using some tweaks to the shader parameters to make it look even more pleasing to my eye:
-Disable FXAA
-In the section Hi resolution scanlines handling I tweak flicker power to 0.15 to make it look comparable to my SD CRT (you can turn it down completety if you dont like this interlacing simulation effect)
-In the section low level phosphor gird I tweak overmask to 1.10 to make the image a little brighter.
-In curvature border section I turn down warp X / Y

As for the HDR shaders, I use Sony Megatron PVM-2730 shaders and only change the resolution pattern within the shader parameters. For 240p games 300TVL looks best and for 480p games I'm using 600TVL.

You the real MVP

Top Bottom