• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much RAM do you have on your PC

How much RAM do you have on your PC?

• 8GB or less

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • 16GB

Votes: 73 20.8%
  • 24GB

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 32GB

Votes: 207 59.0%
  • 48GB

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 64GB

Votes: 51 14.5%
  • 128GB or more

Votes: 8 2.3%

• Total voters
Had 32GB put in my latest build when I made it about 2 or 3 years ago. No plans to upgrade anytime soon which is why I went for 32.

I remember the days of having 8 MB of RAM and Diablo box telling me 16 MB was necessary for "online play". (You could play Bnet with only 8 though, I did).

Also I remember UO I think also wanted 16 but it was a lot more obvious my 8 MB was insufficient for that compared to Diablo. But it was still playable. I was also under the processor recommendations at that time but just barely. I had a Pentium 120 and it wanted 133 mhz. Good times.

StereoVsn

64GB, but only because I have been working with AI models a bit and they are memory hungry. Getting more RAM was a hell of a lot cheaper vs getting a 4090.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
My wife got those sweet RAM stick
NZJHJQi.jpeg

Garibaldi

64GB but if it was dedicated gaming box I'd have probably just gotten 32GB. I have a load of containers up and running for work purposes, crunching databases for hours so figure more is best.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
64 GB G Skill Z5 6000

Overkill I know
Not really both my sons bought their 64 bit Ram stuff from Corsair for around 700 and more. They are idiots, but hey even idiots make money to spend.

Most of us gamers on here probably overkill and spend too much on gaming.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I had 16GB since 2013, which was overkill but for more than 10 years i never had to upgrade or think about RAM. And i used about 2-4 as RAMdisk storage for some time (which is orders of magnitude faster than the fastest SSD/NVMe drive you can buy, so i used it for cache and other things). Though nowadays i need the full 16GB for RAM so no RAMDisk.

I plan to do the same on my new build so i'm going for 64GB and i will use around 8-16 as RAMdisk and still have more than enough for anything else, plus future proofing.

K' Dash

16GB on an M2 Macbook Air that I use for coding freelancing and watching youtube, Netflix and Courses. More than enough.

Bojji

Most games are fine on 16GB but as test shows there are some that go above so 32GB is the sweet spot right now. I had 24GB for a while (upgraded from 16GB when HL launched) but losing dual channel is not worth it so now I have 4xDDR4 sticks.

Sanepar

One thing I can't justify is ddr5, the diff is ridiculous, probably ddr6 will be the real deal in gaming perf.

32GB DDR 5 6000mhz. I now, from about 4 months ago after building a new PC, play at 4k up to 141 fps, but even then it's rare to go above or close to 16GB (I don't always play the most graphically or power hungry games.) Some games have hit 17-18GB. I did play the MMO New World, and my RAM was hitting near 21GB+ after starting at about 14GB, the counter just kept climbing (even on my last build with 32GB DDR 4 3200mhz playing at 1440p ultrawide) but that game isn't exactly optimised, but it is easily the most ram my PC has ever used.

Edit a few hours later - Played Mortal Kombat 1 as they FINALLY released a patch (PC at least) for 60 fps on all modes and scenes. Noticed my ram usage was between 19 and 20GB in the single player story.

Last edited:

Crayon

16. It's Linux and seems to manage it well. Has a smaller footprint in the first place, too. I'll upgrade when I need 32 but doesn't seem to be a thing yet.

Soodanim

I had 8GB DDR3 when Elden Ring released, and bought 8 more because I was technically under the minimum spec. It didn't make much of a difference, but now I have 16GB.

Audiophile

My old 2017 Dell laptop which is the worst hunk of crap I've ever bought had 8GB soldered. It's sole job now is processing/converting ripped SACDs, it's barely functional and probably a fire hazard at this point.

My current Lenovo only has 8GB but I've been meaning to upgrade to 16 or 32 forever, will only take a mo' but I just never got round to it. It is starting to choke on brave/chrome browsers a bit.

I wanna build a PC and would give it 32-64GB, but I can't do things by half, gotta build a killer system and I'm looking at waiting til either RTX 60 series or the next AMD arch. I have a very specific setup I wanna do and case choice is limited, I'm an "extreme pre-purchase researcher" (it's half of the fun) and take forever to nail something down.

Last edited:

Kazdane

32 GB at the moment. I'll probably switch to 64GB on my next CPU upgrade (since I'll also update my motherboard). But, at the moment, it feels like 32GB is more than enough for most typical use cases.

danklord

Gold Member
64 GB at a paltry 3600hz clock. Still very snappy but I'm looking forward to feeling the upgrade on my next build.

I jump through Premiere and After Effects, c4d, and UE5 daily. After Effects being the main reason to have a lot of ram, and I need more.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I upgraded to 32GB because of Returnal, then they lowered the requirements to 16GB. Now I open things in the background just to fill the unused RAM. 16gb is enough for this gen, probably until gta 6 comes.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I game on a PS5, but my spouse still does PC gaming. Made sure to equip it with 32GB of DDR5 and a 4070Ti with 12GB of VRAM last year when it was time for an upgrade. Should be good for quite some time.

Top Bottom