• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel is Bungie and 343 Studios collaborated on a Destiny-like game set in the Halo universe?

jcorb

There's no way I can be the only person who's thought about this, but with Microsoft seemingly leaving the world of console-exclusives behind (let's not get sidetracked, though; that's not what this thread is about), it makes me curious if Bungie and 343 would ever collaborate on a new Halo game?

Honestly, I actually quite like the idea. I played a shitload of Halo 3's multiplayer back in the day, but I can't say I remember all that much about the story. I *loved* the story in Halo Reach, though, and I've always heard pretty great things about the books.

Now to be clear, I'm not hating on Halo or Destiny. I just sort of feel like neither has ever quite found their niche, and maybe bringing the strengths of both developers (343 was originally spun out of Bungie devs who wanted to continue working on Halo, right?), it seems like it could really make for something special.

I love the idea of being able to acquire suits of armor that could be modded (essentially "mods" being the customizable loot-driven part of the game, "armor/suits" being more cosmetic in nature, with intrinsic highly specialized perks). I know GaaS (games-as-a-service) are sort of on the way out, but I think a release cadence similar to Destiny could still be compelling. Bungie's monetization has been way too convoluted, short-sighted, and at times a bit greedy (the lack of transparency has certainly hurt), but I would absolutely support a game with a *clear* monetization structure. Instead of "seasons", maybe you just offer blocks of new content, with some sort of incentive towards playing content while it is "current" (I didn't enjoy Halo Infinite much as a game, but really dug its approach to "seasonal" content).

Moreover, being able to have an "Arbiter" (whatever the fuck the name of their species is) would also be a cool change of pace. I'd keep story progress account-wide, and like Destiny, weapons that can be shared, but I think having armor and abilities linked to each unique species would also be kind of cool. If nothing else, the "Arbiter race" could be held as a big feature for an expansion-pack, so you can still have some story build up to their becoming playable.

I dunno, my two cents!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’d much rather have a standard Halo campaign and normal multiplayer, personally. It’d also be nice if Halo were given to someone other than 343…

nowhat

tenor.gif

I don’t think they can collaborate.

Both have decent know how. Either of them can get job done.

Bringing both will only lead to conflict.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
For me a lot of destiny is not anything new, put halo infinite 2 out and I’ll still end up playing it.

Fbh

Gold Member
No thx, I hate the de Destiny model.
I hate grinding for loot and I specially hate if my PVP gear/weapons are tied to some boring PVE grinding.
Just give me a fun, well paced 8-15 hours campaign with good replay value and optional Co-Op, and then give me a fun separate multiplayer mode.

TehDark

Banned
343 have demonstrated that they are not capable of creating Halo games but you want them to create another one.

Quezacolt

Hate the idea. Prefer halo to have a normal campaign, and normal multiplayer.
Things for the series are already nad as it is, no need to bring always online crap and more GaaS stuff into it.

salva

No thanks.
Give me a proper sequel to Halo 3.
Make it's big team battle mp on the scale of battlefield 3/4.

ZehDon

343i have demonstrated they cannot make a good Halo game.
Bungie have demonstrated that they cannot make a good Destiny game.
Putting both of those together would just get you another Concord.

Begleiter

I don't think you could reconstitute Bungie as they were when they were making the good Halo games, and I don't think saddling them with the less capable staff of 343 solves that problem. You'll just get a slightly less mediocre Infinite. Maybe.

Bungie aren't long for this world anyway.

Can I just have Respawn make a Halo campaign (hi Titanfall 2/Jedi), coop (new for Respawn) and multiplayer (hi Apex Legends/TF1/2) game? My dream game right there.

kevboard

343i: trash devs who haven't made a good Halo game in 3 tries and more than a decade of working on the IP

and current day Bungie: where everyone that was ever someone of note is gone and which hasn't made anything but Destiny for a decade +

lol, hell no. give Halo to iD or Machine Games.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Not retaining Bungie was the biggest Xbox blunder. More the Bone even. We'd all be getting real Halo 4 previews right now since they're finished with the Xbox smash exclusive Destiny 2. But no, we get Hellblade 2.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Can anyone give me ONE good reason MS is not making ID do Halo ? ... i couldn't think of a better studio to handle a new modern Halo ..

Shit .. even one of COD studios could try their hands on it ... and it would probably be better than 343 work

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Not retaining Bungie was the biggest Xbox blunder. More the Bone even. We'd all be getting real Halo 4 previews right now since they're finished with the Xbox smash exclusive Destiny 2. But no, we get Hellblade 2.
Shiiiit.. you are talking about GOTG right there son ... have more respect ... just give it another playthrough, and another, and maybe another... you will see the light of reason

VAVA Mk2

343i have demonstrated they cannot make a good Halo game.
Bungie have demonstrated that they cannot make a good Destiny game.
Putting both of those together would just get you another Concord.
Let 343i make a Destiny game and let Bungie make another Halo game. 🙃

T4keD0wN

Can anyone give me ONE good reason MS is not making ID do Halo ?
Doom is popular worldwide, Halo isnt in addition to being long past its prime.
Shit .. even one of COD studios could try their hands on it ... and it would probably be better than 343 work
That sounds like a good idea, theyve made sci-fi CoDs like Infinite Warfare in the past and those were pretty good, having good IP attatched to it could go a long way. They should turn Halo into a Call of Duty sub-series like Black Ops, the IP could use some lifeline.

Last edited:
This could have been a great idea 10 years ago when the genre was peaking. ODST characters could have fit perfectly with some unique powers to each class. In the current climate, I don't think any GaaS can survive. Destiny is starting to sputter and the only ones surviving are the juggernauts that have been here since the beginning. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the genre just completely died off at this point.

Codes 208

Not the worst idea but I’d much rather have respawn take a crack at a halo spin-off

In the style of titanfall.
Because dropping into a multiplayer match in pods was a completely missed opportunity for an odst themed halo game

Fess

Halo Infinite was a huge disappointment, one of the biggest ones yet for me, so something needs to be done for sure. Don’t know what they were thinking there. Put Master Chief into Starfield and it would be a more interesting Halo, they even have the Warthog now, just implement a grappling hook.

Problem for me, can’t make a space adventure take place in one biome. Even Halo 5 was better, much more variety.

But I also never liked the Bungie Halo games, 1-3 either gave me motion sickness or bored me. So no thanks on that collaboration!

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
CDPR and ID Software collab for a Halo RPG where you play as a ODST set in between Halo 2 and Halo 3.

In. My. Veins.

Top Bottom