• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

nib95

Banned
Cross post on simple and quick camera comparison vs some of the newer competition. Can't wait to see a proper fully fledged comparison.

nib95 said:
Managed to get a non scientific camera comparison of the HTC One vs the Xperia Z vs the Galaxy S4. Pretty interesting results. S4 comes out on top again imo, quite handily. I know it's not the best comparison in the world, but it's the only one out there at the moment. Open the image in a new window or tab to get a better size and viewing.

J9xWUH.jpg

Links.

GSM Arena | HTC One vs Sony Xperia Z quick camera shootout: Is less more?

GSM Arena | Samsung Galaxy S4 preview: Take two

HTC One not looking great. Obviously the trade off is better night shots, but it's certainly a bold choice for HTC to go with, and it doesn't make them look great.

I'm pretty indifferent, more megapixels or better night shots is fine either way for me.

nib95

Banned
HTC One not looking great. Obviously the trade off is better night shots, but it's certainly a bold choice for HTC to go with, and it doesn't make them look great.

I'm pretty indifferent, more megapixels or better night shots is fine either way for me.

We don't know if the night shots are actually that much better yet. My guess is with the new larger sensor, the S4 using low light mode (not night mode, which is much slower) will be comparable in night mode to the One. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

We don't know if the night shots are actually that much better yet. My guess is with the new larger sensor, the S4 using low light mode (not night mode, which is much slower) will be comparable in night mode to the One. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Samsungs camera really is amazing.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Some of the comparisons linked before make it look alright, others make it noisy as hell and put it in a bad light like above. Some are also claiming there's a big difference between production and final units, which some of the comparisons aren't taking into consideration.

I don't know what to believe.

Some of the comparisons linked before make it look alright, others make it noisy as hell and put it in a bad light like above. Some are also claiming there's a big difference between production and final units, which some of the comparisons aren't taking into consideration.

I don't know what to believe.

I think it's easy enough to believe that the Ones camera is not great. This thing sounds like first generation technology.

nib95

Banned
My wife and I must be terrible at taking pics then, because honestly, between my original Galaxy S and her S3, I really don't see anything special about the camera quality. *shrug*

Never used the Galaxy S, but the S3's camera is fantastic. If she's having issues in low light, just use the low light setting (added a few FW updates ago). Beauty mode is pretty awesome as well, seems to auto airbrush/smoothen skin on faces.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think it's easy enough to believe that the Ones camera is not great. This thing sounds like first generation technology.

The S4 does look good in those shots. I'll have to see more direct comparison photos, I'm not sure what to believe. The One photos here actually look better than most other phones:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/12/htc-one-vs-latest-smartphones-camera-comparison/

Yeah see that's what I'm talking about. I mean, it's hardly scientific since half of the shots are done at different angles, with different backgrounds and what appears to be different lighting. But some of the others (like the one in the OP) show the camera to be pretty good while others show it as a mess.

nib95

Banned
The S4 does look good in those shots. I'll have to see more direct comparison photos, I'm not sure what to believe. The One photos here actually look better than most other phones:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/12/htc-one-vs-latest-smartphones-camera-comparison/

Seems to be hit and miss, but a very difficult comparison to gauge since, well, it's as un-scientofic as it gets. Different angles, lighting, distances et all. Does make me question Techno Buffalo's professionalism if I'm honest. They went through all that time and effort to compare the One X to all these other camera's/devices, and that's the best comparison they could come up with? Awful. Being frank, I've done far better camera comparisons myself.

I'll wait for the GSM Arena Phone Camera Comparison tool. They always shoots the same scenario's in the same lighting, same distance etc.

I want this phone. I'm tired of my iPhone 4s and this has been the only new phone announced that's caught my attention. And it's not available on Verizon, blargh.
apparently it is, but on Verizon time.

Does HTC's Sense have toggle controls for popular settings like Samsung's TouchWiz does? iOS has it as well when you jailbreak it's called SBSettings.

This is what I'm talking about:

whitesmoke_35627724_40_610x436.jpg

the quick toggles pulldown was added in 4.2 so we'll know what HTC's will look like when they update their device to 4.2.x like the GS4 is running.

My wife and I must be terrible at taking pics then, because honestly, between my original Galaxy S and her S3, I really don't see anything special about the camera quality. *shrug*

the GS1's camera was great at the time of release and the S3 and Note 2 cameras are awesome.

I was able to play with this phone and the Sony Xperia Z side by side today. My god this is one beautiful phone. The screen looks especially amazing, side by side the Z in comparison looks pretty washed out.

I went from the 4S to the One X to the iPhone 5. I thought I'd be happy for a while but now I can't wait to get this phone!

I was able to play with this phone and the Sony Xperia Z side by side today. My god this is one beautiful phone. The screen looks especially amazing, side by side the Z in comparison looks pretty washed out.

I went from the 4S to the One X to the iPhone 5. I thought I'd be happy for a while but now I can't wait to get this phone!

The screen of the One is going to make every other phone seem lacking in comparison. If there's one thing that HTC have everyone beaten, it's the screen.

HTC's absolutely wretched Android update record should give anybody who's thinking of buying an HTC device at least a few moments of pause, and ideally way more than that. Only LG could possibly be worse than HTC at updating their older phones with new versions of Android.

HTC's absolutely wretched Android update record should give anybody who's thinking of buying an HTC device at least a few moments of pause, and ideally way more than that. Only LG could possibly be worse than HTC at updating their older phones with new versions of Android.

The updates are that important?

Jay Sosa

Just saw the price tag on amazon..

Are they really expecting anyone to pay SEVENHUNDRED € for a fucking phone?

My first car was cheaper.

Radec

Just saw the price tag on amazon..

Are they really expecting anyone to pay SEVENHUNDRED € for a fucking phone?

My first car was cheaper.

That's the price of newly release high end phone in my country.

I'm getting my Z for $800 unlocked :/

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So if they get 4.2.2 in 1-2 months then it's safe to say 5.0 won't come for a year lol.

Pretty much. The sad part is that what you're suggesting is not an exaggeration :/

I agree. My Evo 3D says i'm running Android 2.3.4 and i couldn't give any more of a fuck about updates. My phone runs just fine.

I have an Evo 3D, it's much much smoother with ICS, and ICS has features that make it hard to go back to Gingerbread(2.3). The same could probably be said of JB. I would've liked them to atleast update it up to JB, that way they would have atleast met the 18 month support cycle requirement.

I don't have much hope that the One will get any better support once HTC's next flagship is out.

4.0.4 -> 4.1.2 might seem like a small jump, but it fixes a million and one small things within the OS that make it more usable. From 2.3.5 to 4.1.2 is a complete sea change, Gingerbread is absolute bollocks and Sense makes everything a million times worse.

HTC need to prove that they are up there with Samsung and Sony when it comes to updates now, they drop legacy devices too quickly, there are a bunch of 2011 devices still stuck on 2.3 and 2012 devices on 4.0.4 without an update promise.

If that Twitter guy is right and the One won't receive 4.2.2 for a couple of months then it's not a good sign. At Sony 4.2.2 is in final testing before roll out for Z/ZL in a couple of weeks and the GS4 launches with it, HTC would be the only major OEM running 4.1.2 on a flagship in April/May. To me that's not a big deal, I think 4.2.2 is not very good anyway, but tech websites all seem to make a huge deal out of it.

I would say that HTC have a lot to prove with updates before they can win back customer loyalty. The Sensation is a prime example of a device being dumped. It has the same specs as the Xperia S and the latter is about to get 4.1.2 and is being considered for 5.0 but the Sensation is stuck on 4.0.4 officially and owners have had to resort to custom ROMs to get a proper Android experience.

Just root it and install a custom rom? That's what I did with the One X at least...

Okay, I'm coming from iOS, so please answer a few questions:

- How often does Android come out with a major OS update? Apple was once a year and each packing pretty hefty updates.

- Can you just 'root' the phone and install whatever version OS you want, so you don't have to wait for your carrier/HTC to push it out?

- What are some important changes from 4.1 - 4.2 that this phone will not have out of the box?

Anandtech has a mini review write up that is very positive. He seemed to love the camera. I'm really excited for this device. Can't wait for them to release it here in the US. Hopefully soon.

VoxPop

TechnoBuffalo said:
HTC One Starts Shipping in UK Next Week, North America at End of April

Finally happening but damn end of April? What a trainwreck of a launch. Anyone know if I can buy an unlocked one from the UK and use it over here in the US with either AT&T or a Prepaid plan?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google's os updates have stopped being all that important since gingerbread, tbh.

Bull fucking shit.

ICS is the largest most important update in Android land to date. It's fucking night and day from Gingerbread. Jelly Bean also brought some really big performance and feature gains.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Finally happening but damn end of April? What a trainwreck of a launch. Anyone know if I can buy an unlocked one from the UK and use it over here in the US with either AT&T or a Prepaid plan?

Yes, it works perfectly w/ att HSPA+

Okay, I'm coming from iOS, so please answer a few questions:

- How often does Android come out with a major OS update? Apple was once a year and each packing pretty hefty updates.

- Can you just 'root' the phone and install whatever version OS you want, so you don't have to wait for your carrier/HTC to push it out?

- What are some important changes from 4.1 - 4.2 that this phone will not have out of the box?
Google comes with their big updates once a year, key lime pie is going to be revealed in under 2 months. Which is presumed to be the 5.0 update. But they iterate on many things throughout the year (mostly with apps though), which apple doesn't really do. So major once a year, minor throughout.

No you cannot do that. You'll be kind of fucked with this phone update wise because dev support won't be great for a long time and HTC would require a total 180 to be good at update timing.

There has been an increase in battery life for one thing, at least for Nexus users, so that might be something that could affect all phones moving to 4.2.2 which I think is the one that did it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google comes with their big updates once a year, key lime pie is going to be revealed in under 2 months. Which is presumed to be the 5.0 update. But they iterate on many things throughout the year (mostly with apps though), which apple doesn't really do. So major once a year, minor throughout.

No you cannot do that. You'll be kind of fucked with this phone update wise because dev support won't be great for a long time and HTC would require a total 180 to be good at update timing.

There has been an increase in battery life for one thing, at least for Nexus users, so that might be something that could affect all phones moving to 4.2.2 which I think is the one that did it.

Honestly dev support is quiet good for HTC's main line phones from last year.

Honestly dev support is quiet good for HTC's main line phones from last year.
it took a long time before STABLE releases of the best ROMs were out though didn't it? I mean I doubt someone new to android is going to want to fiddle around with nightlies or whatever else.

VoxPop

Yes, it works perfectly w/ att HSPA+

Ah, thanks for the info. I'm not really looking forward to paying about 120/mo for a plan anymore especially with no LTE which I've loved with Verizon for the past 2 years but way too pricey. Looking to make a switch to a 60-70/mo prepaid plan if LTE isn't an issue.

So as far as time frames go, we're looking at:

HTC One - End of April (USA)
Galaxy S4 - End of April
Google new flagship - Announced in May, released one to two months after
iPhone 5S - September

I'm tempted to wait to see what Google brings to the table. Will their unlocked flagship be just as expensive as Galaxy S4?

Galaxy S4 - End of April
iPhone 5S - September

I'm tempted to wait to see what Google brings to the table. Will their unlocked flagship be just as expensive as Galaxy S4?
there will probably be multiple versions of the phone, one cheap one and one for 400-450 high end one sold at cost or just over cost. At least that's how I see it on the "x phone" front.

Galaxy S4 - End of April
iPhone 5S - September

I went to my local AT&T store yesterday and the guy told me they're expecting the One within the first 2 weeks of April.

Top Bottom