• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Cipherr

That makes it IGN's current highest rated smartphone I think:
  • iPhone 5(Last year)
    iVxyp4A.png

• Galaxy S3 (Last year)
    VWMV2yc.png

• HTC OneX (Last Year)
    UPTOKEf.png

Thusfar, reviewers absolutely adore this thing.

Gannd

Banned
I was thinking that HTC really needs a new advertising company. Boom Sound is great and all but I think ZOE is the real standout for regular people. I have shown my family and friends the ZOE of my new baby and they are all taken aback by it and when they find out the phone does it for me, they love that feature. If I were HTC, I'd give regular people a One for big life events and let ehm take photos, ZOEs and then show the results.

I was thinking that HTC really needs a new advertising company. Boom Sound is great and all but I think ZOE is the real standout for regular people. I have shown my family and friends the ZOE of my new baby and they are all taken aback by it and when they find out the phone does it for me, they love that feature. If I were HTC, I'd give regular people a One for big life events and let ehm take photos, ZOEs and then show the results.

seriously, BoomSound™ could sell itself. it could be the new Retina™. all they need is Flavor Flav or Pitbull. i don't think they will want to pay for Dre...

Got mine.

Itz purdy.

It also gets kinda hot?

normal? Any good cases? Nothing that is just plastic garbage but to keep the heat at bay?

Currently transferring my shit from my IPhone via the sync anager...seems like it will take a while.

But I wanna play nooooow.

lolol, every single editor prefers the HTC One. Here's one from Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-galaxy-iv-reviews-great-htc-one-144747459.html

Yeah..I've been trying to read every review out there to see if I should still get the S4 or not....and almost all of them mentions as the more polish product.

Half and half? I've yet to read a professional review that doesn't recommend the One over the S4.

Yup majority seem to prefers the One over the S4.

Pkaz01

whats up with the software update for the camera? i try updating with the att update and the software update under the about tab but both say up to date.

Is it not released in the US yet or what?

antipod

I, after years of being careful with my smart phones, managed to crack the screen on my One X two days ago.

It's reaaaaally tempting to put up the cash to buy One of these even though I have a year left to pay for my current phone.

Used the One for a bit at the HTC concert in LA.

Impressions:

- Feels very light, but solid, even though it's made of aluminum (lighter than my EVO LTE)
- Screen is jawdropping
- the power button/volume are flush
- 3x3 Multitasking grid is better than stock
- Zoe's will be a photographer's best friend, HTC reps were doing dance moves for us to test it out

Overall very impressed, I don't think I saw anyone that didn't enjoy using it. HTC is going to have a hit on their hands.

13+-+4

13+-+2

13+-+1

Goldrush

How is the quality of Zoe pictures? Is it just a short HD movie or is similar to taking a 30/60 pictures per second? Will the picture quality of a slice of Zoe be equal to a regular shot?

joeposh

For people who have one already, what kind of battery life are you pulling? I love a lot of aspects of this phone, but am currently leaning toward using my upgrade on the S4 because of the reportedly superior battery life and ability to swap in a pinch.

How is the quality of Zoe pictures? Is it just a short HD movie or is similar to taking a 30/60 pictures per second? Will the picture quality of a slice of Zoe be equal to a regular shot?

This is, sadly, where HTC have sidestepped slightly. A zoe is just a quick 3 second video taken like a photograph. What people think a zoe is, is actually what's called a highlight video which takes photos and zoes and puts them together with music for 30 seconds. The quality is as good as the pictures you have in the folder.

The issue HTC have with this is that they are advertising zoe and not the highlight videos and even confusing customers a little with it. Get a new owner of an HTC One and ask then to do a zoe, they'll do it in seconds. Get then to create a highlight video. Yeah. They'll have to spend 20 minutes working it out.

Anyway, tl;dr they look great

For people who have one already, what kind of battery life are you pulling? I love a lot of aspects of this phone, but am currently leaning toward using my upgrade on the S4 because of the reportedly superior battery life and ability to swap in a pinch.

Battery life on the S4 is only better when you aren't using it, and even then it's a difference between 2 days and 3. The rest is either equal to or better than the S4. Only thing that you should think about is the removable battery, but seeing as millions of iPhone users don't need that, android users don't either.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I have to admit that I am pissed that HTC is releasing a version of the One in China that has expandable memory via microsd. :(

I'm not pissed, but disappointed, would've loved to have used my 32GB microsd in the One, but it's not a huge deal.

Right now, the best version of the best phone ever is China exclusive, so the Chinese better not take that for granted :p

I just hope HTC has a good system in place for repairs and battery replacements and whatnot. I'm guessing they have better/more appropriate methods and tools for repair or replacing the battery, if need be, than ifixit.

Start the day off at 7:30am on a full charge, by 9pm the battery is at about <5%. This is a typical day for me with lots of Whatsapping and occasional web browsing on LTE. I have the phone pulling weather info throughout the day and Google Now doing its stuff, and bluetooth and GPS are always on.

ObiDin

I took it off the charger at 6:30am yesterday morning, sent several texts and downloaded several apps throughout the work day, streamed "A Feast For Crows" audiobook through bluetooth audio in my truck for 1/2 hour on the way home, then used it heavily for twitter/gaming during the nfl draft/last important Stars game and the Rangers game last night. Plugged it back in to the charger with ~25% left at 11:00pm.

I keep it just below 50% brightness, keep GPS off, have Bluetooth/WiFi/Data on all the time, weather updates hourly, gmail/facebook/twitter/blinkfeed update on app open only.

Battery life has gotten better each day since I bought it, which also correlates with decreasing app downloading/updating but increasing app usage.

Overall, I'd say battery life is good if you aren't syncing/updating everything all the time. I ran my iphone 3g and 4 the same way.

Gila

Is there anyway to have emails with pictures shrinked down to the screen size so you don't have to scroll horizontally? Like what iOS is doing

Is there anyway to have emails with pictures shrinked down to the screen size so you don't have to scroll horizontally? Like what iOS is doing

I heard double tap will do it, but nothing by default. It's that reason alone that I think I need to stop using HTC's mail app. The GMail app has that option though.

Pimpwerx

Just went and copped mine from the store. Build and speed live up to the claims. I'm impressed. I can't wait until my case comes in tomorrow. Matter of fact, I'll probably stick with my Dinc2 until either my number is transfered over, or the case shows up.

A couple things for future buyers. The guy at the T-Mobile store insisted I get insurance with the phone. He said it is company policy if you're doing the installment plan. I'm doing the installment plan, but the contract itself says you don't need insurance to receive credit. So, I called TMo afterwards and had it removed. After standing at the counter for close to an hour, I wasn't about to walk out empty-handed. However, I suggest anyone that gets scammed like that just point to the back of the contract they ask you to sign. It says it clearly under "Property Insurance", which is in bold.

Also, my phone doesn't have earbuds. I don't mind. I have a few Earcandy buds sitting around waiting to be used. Slick phone. I can't wait to see what it can do. PEACE.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. My case just arrived. I went with the Bear Motion Sand cover that someone linked to in this thread. Got it in green. I love the texture and look. It doesn't add much bulk either. I'm waiting a couple of weeks to order this one, which is being redesigned to accommodate the IR button.

Just went and copped mine from the store. Build and speed live up to the claims. I'm impressed. I can't wait until my case comes in tomorrow. Matter of fact, I'll probably stick with my Dinc2 until either my number is transfered over, or the case shows up.

A couple things for future buyers. The guy at the T-Mobile store insisted I get insurance with the phone. He said it is company policy if you're doing the installment plan. I'm doing the installment plan, but the contract itself says you don't need insurance to receive credit. So, I called TMo afterwards and had it removed. After standing at the counter for close to an hour, I wasn't about to walk out empty-handed. However, I suggest anyone that gets scammed like that just point to the back of the contract they ask you to sign. It says it clearly under "Property Insurance", which is in bold.

Also, my phone doesn't have earbuds. I don't mind. I have a few Earcandy buds sitting around waiting to be used. Slick phone. I can't wait to see what it can do. PEACE.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. My case just arrived. I went with the Bear Motion Sand cover that someone linked to in this thread. Got it in green. I love the texture and look. It doesn't add much bulk either. I'm waiting a couple of weeks to order this one, which is being redesigned to accommodate the IR button.

Wow. While I always recommend some type of insurance on phones I would never insist it HAD to be added. Hopefully he's clawed back on that commission. He should be.

Battery life on the S4 is only better when you aren't using it, and even then it's a difference between 2 days and 3. The rest is either equal to or better than the S4. Only thing that you should think about is the removable battery, but seeing as millions of iPhone users don't need that, android users don't either.

i agree. get the iPhone 5.

yeah, shady employees always trying to tack on phone insurance. happened when i got my Note II despite chuckling and saying i've never had it on any phone and don't want it in response to the question about handset insurance. then when i was logged in to check my account out the next day i noticed it was added to my feature list and promptly removed it.

Holy fuck. Just uninstalled cliffhanger and according to gsam battery I've now added at least 2 hours to my on screen usage for my battery. What an awful drainer.

Pimpwerx

Pics of my phone with the green Bear Motion case. I feel like rooting it, but I kinda like not fussing with incompatibilities and glitches.

imag0100m.jpg

imag0098mj.jpg

imag0095ca.jpg

imag0094e.jpg

imag0088lc.jpg

imag0083s.jpg

PEACE.

Purexed

Banned
Anyone pick up the HTC Double Dip hard shell case?

I'm thinking about picking it up today.

Love the case. Extremely snug and completely protects the phone. But if you want to see the aluminum and feel the metal, maybe not the best fit. I love it tho.

Top Bottom