• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Pics of my phone with the green Bear Motion case. I feel like rooting it, but I kinda like not fussing with incompatibilities and glitches.

imag0100m.jpg

imag0098mj.jpg

imag0095ca.jpg

imag0094e.jpg

imag0088lc.jpg

imag0083s.jpg

PEACE.

The problem with the bear motion case is that it's difficult to press the volume key easily. Nillikin is still the best case

jey_16

Banned
Fuck....looks like there is a spec of dust or something under my screen, never noticed it until now but I have no idea how it got there

Pimpwerx

I have a Nillkin, Beae, Bear and the HTC multi-color case. The Nillikin is far by the best imo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3GCXVS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I looked at that case, because someone posted a pic in this thread of their phone in a black Nillkin. However, I wasn't sure if it was a rigid case or not. I like the Bear Motion because it's a stiff case without adding bulk, and it feels great in the hands with its textured surface. I didn't want a rubbery case, because they give me hassles getting in and out of my pocket. The Poetic case looks like it'll give me the drop protection I need without clinging to my pocket. PEACE.

VoxPop

The problem with the bear motion case is that it's difficult to press the volume key easily. Nillikin is still the best case

Got the same Nillikin in black and white. I love it. The white doesn't look as good in the front though. Contrasts with the two tone front. Might look great on the black HTC One. I also wanna try a brown/red one..

I looked at that case, because someone posted a pic in this thread of their phone in a black Nillkin. However, I wasn't sure if it was a rigid case or not. I like the Bear Motion because it's a stiff case without adding bulk, and it feels great in the hands with its textured surface. I didn't want a rubbery case, because they give me hassles getting in and out of my pocket. The Poetic case looks like it'll give me the drop protection I need without clinging to my pocket. PEACE.

I have the Nillkin and it is rigid. Feels textured and is not rubbery. Doesn't add bulk. I love it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wait... ... there's gonna be a red One?!

I won't be able to resist at that point. GG.

When?!

I love how this thread has more posts than the S4 one or the Xperia Z one too.

Why would anyone love something as silly as that?

One is a phone from the people in 6th place and the other isnt released yet. Just wait.

Also, i saw the dean playing with what looked like the One in Community last night. But i thought those were filmed months ago just around the time of the reveal, so maybe it wasnt. Did anyone else see it too?

I was seriously considering getting the One but with the Chinese version announced, I'm actually leaning towards that direction instead.

Anyone know of a review? If all else is equal, I don't mind having a removable back cover to a unibody design.

D23

getting this on Tmobile on sunday, im thinking of getting the tmobile php insurance for an extra $7/month , i'm usually very careful with my phone, but its theft that im worried about... this phone is too damn attractive...

do you guys get any insurance at all for this phone?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone have experience making the switch from Verizon to a carrier that a actually gets new phones? Thoughts? Only real concern is network coverage.

Anyone have experience making the switch from Verizon to a carrier that a actually gets new phones? Thoughts? Only real concern is network coverage.
You still on that GNex on big red like me, or am I confusing you with someone else? If so, I'm probably jumping to ATT or TMo, too... Funny how that worked out for us.

Druz

Count me in for att switch. I appreciate Verizon's dual antenna strategy even though it drains battery life whoa... But I want googles moto x phone.

Heysoos

People that need extra batteries life can just get a USB Battery pack, comes in different sizes and can charge your phone multiple times...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

People that wants to use an SD card...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andyfei/mini-microsd-reader-for-android-smartphones-and-ta

easy solutions, plus you can use them again when you change phones in the future.

Been looking at the different phones available, and as a person who uses both sd cards and carry an extra battery, this is not ideal at all. In fact it ruins the whole point of it, IMO. I don't want to be fiddling around with a dongle to use a microsd card in my phone, when I can just stick inside and forget. If my phone is running low on battery and I'm on the move between work & school, the last thing I want to do is to set my phone to charge when I can just swap out the batteries.

I'm not sure if you meant your post for someone in particular, but just giving you my insight why those things you mentioned might not be ideal for people looking for those specific features. Unless of course you meant your post to those who already have the HTC One, in that case carry on, and apologies.

That said, it's going to be a very tough choice to pick between the S4 and One for me once my upgrade kicks in. Liking all the choices I have.

SiteSeer

damn is it really as big as it looks in those pictures (specially the one next to the CD)? i'm looking at iphone 5 alternatives but i can't stand large phones.

Volotaire

People that need extra batteries life can just get a USB Battery pack, comes in different sizes and can charge your phone multiple times...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

People that wants to use an SD card...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andyfei/mini-microsd-reader-for-android-smartphones-and-ta

easy solutions, plus you can use them again when you change phones in the future.

OK even though the battery one isn't really the best solution, that SD card expansion has piked my interest. I am now seriously considering this phone. Thank you.

Just one question, as I will probably have this phone for about 2 years, rechargeable batteries obviously have diminishing returns after every charge. So after 2 years, would there be a significant effect on the phone's battery?

Been looking at the different phones available, and as a person who uses both sd cards and carry an extra battery, this is not ideal at all. In fact it ruins the whole point of it, IMO. I don't want to be fiddling around with a dongle to use a microsd card in my phone, when I can just stick inside and forget. If my phone is running low on battery and I'm on the move between work & school, the last thing I want to do is to set my phone to charge when I can just swap out the batteries.

I'm not sure if you meant your post for someone in particular, but just giving you my insight why those things you mentioned might not be ideal for people looking for those specific features.

That said, it's going to be a very tough choice to pick between the S4 and One for me once my upgrade kicks in. Liking all the choices I have.

Well its an alternative...something that might not work for you, might work for someone else.

Like for for me, I had multiple phone that had removable battery, But I only bought an extra battery for 1 phone. To me it was more of a hassle to remove and change the battery each time I have to charge the extra battery especially if you also have to remove a case!! so the extra battery end up not being charged. With the battery pack I can just charge it separately.

plus you don't need to use the battery pack only when you ran out of juice, you can used it in between when you are not using your phone, making the phone last longer through out the day.

Volotaire

I'm not sure if you meant your post for someone in particular, but just giving you my insight why those things you mentioned might not be ideal for people looking for those specific features. Unless of course you meant your post to those who already have the HTC One, in that case carry on, and apologies.

Think you're being a bit harsh on the SD Card one. This seriously just makes me reconsider my choice of phone. It's not the biggest extension to the phone, albeit making it a bit unwieldy from the bottom. And to be fair, most of the stuff stored on their will be pictures/music/videos, when you're using the phone hidden or in a stationary position.

OK even though the battery one isn't really the best solution, that SD card expansion has piked my interest. I am now seriously considering this phone. Thank you.

Just one question, as I will probably have this phone for about 2 years, rechargeable batteries obviously have diminishing returns after every charge. So after 2 years, would there be a significant effect on the phone's battery?

I had many iphones and the ones that are more than 3 years old still hold a charge and seem fine still.

See, for me the battery thing is a non-issue. Just buy this.

http://store.sony.com/p/Portable-USB-Battery-Charger/en/p/CPELS

Plus, cheaper than a replacement battery probably.

Yeah cheap plus you can use it for the next phone you purchase in the future.

taking off the case wearing it out, and changing the battery just to charge the extra battery is a hassle for me. You've already had your phone plugged in to charge it, now you still have to keep it plug again to charge the extra battery...

Heysoos

Well its an alternative...something that might not work for you, might work for someone else.

Like for for me, I had multiple phone that had removable battery, But I only bought an extra battery for 1 phone. To me it was more of a hassle to remove and change the battery each time I have to charge the extra battery especially if you also have to remove a case!! so the extra battery end up not being charged. With the battery pack I can just charge it separately.

plus you don't need to use the battery pack only when you ran out of juice, you can used it in between when you are not using your phone, making the phone last longer through out the day.

No, I completely get you. I was just pointing out my view from the outside looking in. It still seems like more hassle to spend time charging my phone than the seconds it takes to swap batteries on my S2. It was super easy to charge both also, I got a cheap little 10 dollar external charger for my extra battery and charged my phone at night/morning before I went on with my day and both were ready to go. The thing with an external battery pack is it would tie me down to having to charge it while I'm trying to use it, especially since during school my phone can go through heavy continuous usage without stopping. Recording lectures, taking notes, reading ahead for the other classes, etc. It's one of the main reasons me and my girlfriend are hesitant to get the HTC One. I'd wager we're not the only ones with this issue. Anyways, I'm rambling and again just pointing out why these solutions wouldn't be completely ideal for me and some other people.

Think you're being a bit harsh on the SD Card one. This seriously just makes me reconsider my choice of phone.

It's small, it's nice, it's still an external dongle thing though. Unless I'm missing something. I don't want anything sticking out of my phone. That said, if I were to go with the HTC One, microsd card reader is honestly very low in my priorities, despite using one a lot with my S2.

No, I completely get you. I was just pointing out my view from the outside looking in. It still seems like more hassle to spend time charging my phone than the seconds it takes to swap batteries on my S2. It was super easy to charge both also, I got a cheap little 10 dollar external charger for my extra battery and charged my phone at night/morning before I went on with my day and both were ready to go. The thing with an external battery pack is it would tie me down to having to charge it while I'm trying to use it, especially since during school my phone can go through heavy continuous usage without stopping. Recording lectures, taking notes, reading ahead for the other classes, etc. It's one of the main reasons me and my girlfriend are hesitant to get the HTC One. I'd wager we're not the only ones with this issue. Anyways, I'm rambling and again just pointing out why these solutions wouldn't be completely ideal for me and some other people.

Like i said its an alternative....and plus for the many people in this thread that already have the One....extra battery life can be easily achieved.

Which means having a sexy unibody phone can still have an option of having extra battery life on the go...

Mohonky

Got my HTC One today. Very sleek.

Are there any themes for it though? I'm not crazy about the stock issue icons, was hoping they could be changed (in a safe n00b fashion)

Blackhead

Redarse
Any reason why the Android OS doesnt have visual voicemail built in?

It does. Problem is that visual voicemail require explicit carrier support and most carriers choose to release an android visual voicemail app than support the inbuilt one. Call your carrier and complain.

JayDub

It does. Problem is that visual voicemail require explicit carrier support and most carriers choose to release an android visual voicemail app than support the inbuilt one. Call your carrier and complain.

Thats some frekkin BS.

Downloaded the ATT Visual VM app.

USF

I can't decide between this and the Xperia Z :(
I'm more into the minimal edgy look the Xperia has,
but this htc seems too good to skip too

batbeg

So my HTC One won't turn on? Or charge? I had it on, listening to music, paused it, and put it in my pocket. Some few minutes later I pulled it out but it wouldn't unlock, and acted like it was dead despite having had a healthy half bar. I've had it on the charger for the last half hour and it won't even acknowledge that, it's like it's just dead :(

I tried googling it to see if anyone had any similar experiences but it seems hard to specifically google "HTC One". I guess I'll just have to go up to the store when it opens unless someone has a miracle answer?

kitch9

Banned
So my HTC One won't turn on? Or charge? I had it on, listening to music, paused it, and put it in my pocket. Some few minutes later I pulled it out but it wouldn't unlock, and acted like it was dead despite having had a healthy half bar. I've had it on the charger for the last half hour and it won't even acknowledge that, it's like it's just dead :(

I tried googling it to see if anyone had any similar experiences but it seems hard to specifically google "HTC One". I guess I'll just have to go up to the store when it opens unless someone has a miracle answer?

You have hard reset it I assume?

batbeg

You have hard reset it I assume?

I don't know how. Should've googled that, I suppose.

Edit: Yeah, that does nothing at all. Fuuuuck.

Re-Edit: And I have now tried a soft reset of just holding the power for fucking ever and it works. It's a miracle! Battery is still half dead, so it really was so unresponsive so as to not even charge. Odd.

Top Bottom