• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Thats some frekkin BS.

Downloaded the ATT Visual VM app.
Well, to be fair, the entire story is that visual voice mail was added to stock in ICS. At first, them still using carrier apps was understandable, but Carriers have had more than enough time to migrate to the system internal version by now.

Is it getting hot normal. I got a case to fix this but it still gets hot during damn near anything. That's kinda annoying

My iPhone didn't heat up during browsing. Probably the one thing I hate about this phone so far. It makes using it suck because your hand get sweaty

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
People that need extra batteries life can just get a USB Battery pack, comes in different sizes and can charge your phone multiple times...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

People that wants to use an SD card...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andyfei/mini-microsd-reader-for-android-smartphones-and-ta

easy solutions, plus you can use them again when you change phones in the future.

Or they could just get a phone with an SD card slot and removable/better battery.

Use the Google Voice app. Notifies you and transcribes the voicemails
The problem with Google Voice is you either have to go through the pain of giving out a new number to everyone or you transfer your number with no way of ever unlinking it from Google. I will never use it because of this.

The problem with Google Voice is you either have to go through the pain of giving out a new number to everyone or you transfer your number with no way of ever unlinking it from Google. I will never use it because of this.

I can't seem to get this to work. (On AT&T)

I've had zero problems with it, opened app, went through setup and now it does everything for me. No new number. When someone calls and leaves a voicemail I get a notification from Google Voice and an email.

I'm on AT&T

Nameless

I have to rescind my endorsement of Chrome. God damn is it resource intensive, even running in the background. Not only did it devour my battey, but the device would run hot when loading heavy websites. Hotter still during browsing binges. I could literally feel the phone cool after disabling it. Getting much much better performance with the stock browser.

Certinty

I was in the same boat. But I have decided to get the HTC One just because the NFC isnt a stupid sticker lol
Isn't the sticker just to show you where the NFC is located?

In the same boat though regarding the Xperia Z, Galaxy S4 and this. Xperia Z second hand grade A is £350 though which interests me the most at the moment.

D23

thinking of getting an insurance for this phone.

yes or no???

i rarely drop my phone or anything but its THEFT that im extremely worried about, since this phone is very attractive

thinking of getting an insurance for this phone.

yes or no???

i rarely drop my phone or anything but its THEFT that im extremely worried about, since this phone is very attractive

Whenever you get insurance it's all about the cost. Weigh the cost versus replacement value and see what makes sense.

The worst is best buys insurance here. What was it like an extra 12-13 bucks a month. I lol'd hard. He was even telling me when I got it "hey look...after a year or 1.5 years you can "break your phone" and get any new phone as a replacement...early upgrade!".

funny

Or use the options I suggested and still be able to have arguably the best look phone out right now.

Wouldn't metal replacement battery cover cause reception issues?

sure, but people buy them for the S3...

you can set it up to just forward the voicemails to Google Voice and not transfer the number to Google.

The worst is best buys insurance here. What was it like an extra 12-13 bucks a month. I lol'd hard. He was even telling me when I got it "hey look...after a year or 1.5 years you can "break your phone" and get any new phone as a replacement...early upgrade!".

funny

It's similar to a lot of carrier insurace. Instant replacement, no sending away and either get the same phone or a better phone if it's not available without changing your contract and no deductable.

Mook1e

thats true, ill be getting it from Tmobile, i think its like $7 a month! i might get it for the first few months
Tmobile's has a deductible. It's $175 for the Note 2.
I know because I was about to have to use it. Thankfully my phone qualified for warranty replacement.

Finally got to play with the One for a few minutes. Makes my Lumia 900 feel like the chunkiest piece of shit ever. I want it now - but I have a few large bills to pay off first.

Pimpwerx

Honest question: who really even uses the microSD cards anyway? On all my previous Android phones, I changed the microSD card maybe once in each phone's life. Then the only times I ever touched it was when I lost my usb cables and didn't feel like setting up bluetooth. I'd swap the microSD into my laptop's card reader then.

However, 32GB seems like an awful lot. I don't think I could ever listen to 32GB of music even in a month, and I certainly don't put enough apps on my phone to push that limit either. I prefer to keep the number of apps down to keep the number of background processes down as well. What are some of you doing with your memory cards that requires removing the card, or that exceeds 32GB in capacity. PEACE.

Honest question: who really even uses the microSD cards anyway? On all my previous Android phones, I changed the microSD card maybe once in each phone's life. Then the only times I ever touched it was when I lost my usb cables and didn't feel like setting up bluetooth. I'd swap the microSD into my laptop's card reader then.

However, 32GB seems like an awful lot. I don't think I could ever listen to 32GB of music even in a month, and I certainly don't put enough apps on my phone to push that limit either. I prefer to keep the number of apps down to keep the number of background processes down as well. What are some of you doing with your memory cards that requires removing the card, or that exceeds 32GB in capacity. PEACE.

Lots and lots of music and videos it seems. I just use Rdio and Netflix, so no need for that with me, but other people may want it stored locally for obvious reasons.

Achtius

So tried playing with HTC zoe today. Is there anyway to select what pictures to be included in the video and how do I sort the picture by time (the shuffle button doesn't really work)

Gannd

Banned
thats true, ill be getting it from Tmobile, i think its like $7 a month! i might get it for the first few months

Insurance is a scam. It doesn't make sense. T-Mobile is $11.99 a month (source: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons...umHandsetProtection&tp=Svc_Sub_EqpmntProtnOvw) and has a deductible of at least $150 (similar device charge). If you're on a two year contract (I know t-mobile doesn't use them anymore but they do charge you X per month for 2 years) you're paying $287.76 over two years plus at least $150 so you're looking at over $437.76 for a replacement phone.

Let's use At&t as an example. I upgraded my phone and I'm on a new 2-year contract that has a $350 ETF and goes down $20 per month. In one year my contract ETF is now $110. In 18 months it's now $0.

The only way insurance really works is if you file a claim very early on. The math usually doesn't add up. If your device dies or breaks within 2 years (the upgrade cycle) it's cheaper just to buy the unlocked developer device because it's better to have the money today than not. It's a scam.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm actually really impressed with the bundled headphones. I have Sennheiser CX300-II's and the bundled ones are very comparable. They may not be Beats anymore, but I think the quality is still the same (they share the same design to the beats earphones as well).

Edit: I have a pair of headphones that Samsung bundled with the SGS3 that my bro's friend left behind, they're pretty much trash compared to the One's.

I agree. I used to be a microSD junkie, got the largest and fastest one I could find for my old Evo 3D. In the end they just ended up being a pain in the ass. I mean it would be nice to have a microSD slot for pics and music, but 32GB is more than enough. Having apps on the SD card is just not worth the hassle that comes with it.

Gannd

Banned

I tend to agree with you. I sometimes have a feeling that people who need SD support and replaceable batteries tend to use their phones as computers and not phones. If my device is my computer I might need more space but I still find it hard to fill up 32GB of space with things like Google Play Music, Spotify (and similar apps), netflix, hulu, etc. I have like 40 GB of music on Amazon and Google but I can stream the music and I don't need access to every song on the device and if I do, I just download the songs/playlist I want when I know I'll be offline.

I'd rather have a beautiful device than an ugly device. That's more important to me.

I used to fill up my 32GB iPhones all the time.

I put 3GB of photos and videos from my iPhone on a microSD card and put it in my S4. With this gorgeous screen who knows what else I may want to have on me at all times. A couple seasons of The Sopranos? why the hell not.

My girlfriend got the One though her company. I played around with it, it's very nice. Sticking to my S3, though the screen on the One was beautiful. I don't think the realizes what it can do, but that's fine I know she enjoys the excellent speakers and UI.

So tried playing with HTC zoe today. Is there anyway to select what pictures to be included in the video and how do I sort the picture by time (the shuffle button doesn't really work)

Two ways:

1. Go to gallery, hit the menu button and select "move to", move it to a new folder of your choosing with all the pictures and zoes you want. When you're in the new folder hit the down arrow on the top left and select highlight to start the video process.

2. Go into the highlight video section and hit play. While its playing hit the menu button and select change content or something similar.

Edit: No time option as far as i'm aware. The video's are meant to be shuffled and not played in realtime. If you want realtime pictures just select slideshow instead of highlight video.

Pimpwerx

I used to fill up my 32GB iPhones all the time.

I put 3GB of photos and videos from my iPhone on a microSD card and put it in my S4. With this gorgeous screen who knows what else I may want to have on me at all times. A couple seasons of The Sopranos? why the hell not.

Yeah. I didn't even think about video. My thinking is a bit dated, because screen sizes have gotten to the point where it's not a foreign idea to watch lots of video on phones. I can understand that. PEACE.

Yeah. I didn't even think about video. My thinking is a bit dated, because screen sizes have gotten to the point where it's not a foreign idea to watch lots of video on phones. I can understand that. PEACE.

Actually your thinking is right on time. You can stream more than have them loaded on the phone. The idea of storing all the content on the device is what's dated.

RoKKeR

I'd rather have a beautiful device than an ugly device. That's more important to me.
This is one of the biggest reasons why I'm switching from iPhone to the One. It's the first Android phone I've seen that looks like a real high quality device not made of plastic or finicky glass. Matches the iPhone 5 in terms of build quality, and that's a huge point for me.

Marco1

I have read various reports that the rear camera lens is fragile and prone to break easily.
Also the build issues have me pausing to hit the buy now button.

Trouble

Banned
I showed my One to a friend who is still using a GS2 today. First words out of his mouth, "It's heavy." His wife, "Why this instead of the GS3?" They are in some type of Android time warp, I swear.

Actually your thinking is right on time. You can stream more than have them loaded on the phone. The idea of storing all the content on the device is what's dated.

I have a kids I have videos taken of my girl, and pics. That takes up several gigs alone. Add in about 9 gigs of music and I'm starting to get full before I've installed any apps with not a lot of space to work with for taking new videos. 32 gig gets filled easily for me. My iPhone 4 was always pretty damn full. Let's not forget there's issues with network access, reliability, and bandwidth caps. Cloud storage isn't ideal.

RoKKeR

Was going to get this today at an AT&T store but it seems their servers are down for any upgrades. Looks like I got to wait another day or two.

Just checked that. I'm shocked that the AT&T website isn't working properly.

It might be one of the worst websites I'm forced to visit. Right next to Xbox.com.

Just checked that. I'm shocked that the AT&T website isn't working properly.

It might be one of the worst websites I'm forced to visit. Right next to Xbox.com.

Haha yeah guy at the store took my number and said he'd call when they were back up but I'm heading to work now.

Achtius

Two ways:

1. Go to gallery, hit the menu button and select "move to", move it to a new folder of your choosing with all the pictures and zoes you want. When you're in the new folder hit the down arrow on the top left and select highlight to start the video process.

2. Go into the highlight video section and hit play. While its playing hit the menu button and select change content or something similar.

Edit: No time option as far as i'm aware. The video's are meant to be shuffled and not played in realtime. If you want realtime pictures just select slideshow instead of highlight video.

Cool. thanks :)

Just shared a video on facebook.

the Zoe function is really..really..awesome.

edit: too bad it doesnt' work with front facing camera. I cant' get in on the action!

Top Bottom