• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1SSY

My Vive is in my city, but I doubt they'd let me go pick it up from the sort facility. Soon though...

giphy.gif

Krejlooc

Banned
The giant bomb stream actually got me even more excited about tomorrow. I have 30 games installed and ready, I am so stoked.

I just got back from taking my dog for a walk, did they ever do cloudlands minigolf?

taoofjord

Anyone recommend any games/software from the following list?

Adventure Time Magic Man’s Head Games
Apollo 11 VR
Babel: Tower to the Gods
Bazaar
CDF Starfighter VR
A Chair in a Room
Cloudlands: VR Minigolf
Crystal Rift
Descent Underground
Euclidean
Everest VR
Felt Tip Circus
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Jeeboman (full game)
La Peri
Legend of Dungeon
Maximum Override (VR Demo)
MIND: Path to Thalamus
The Pierhead Arcade
Virtual Desktop
Windlands

Compsiox

Banned
The giant bomb stream actually got me even more excited about tomorrow. I have 30 games installed and ready, I am so stoked.

I just got back from taking my dog for a walk, did they ever do cloudlands minigolf?

They are doing it right now or at least were 8 minutes ago!

Compsiox

Banned
Anyone recommend any games/software from the following list?

Adventure Time Magic Man’s Head Games
Apollo 11 VR
Babel: Tower to the Gods
Bazaar
CDF Starfighter VR
A Chair in a Room
Cloudlands: VR Minigolf
Crystal Rift
Descent Underground
Euclidean
Everest VR
Felt Tip Circus
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
Jeeboman (full game)
La Peri
Legend of Dungeon
Maximum Override (VR Demo)
MIND: Path to Thalamus
The Pierhead Arcade
Virtual Desktop
Windlands
Yep! Windlands and Cloudlands number one choices

I've been looking for posts on this and can't find anything

I haven't seen the app on apple's store (i have iphone) it's only on google store so far?
My Vive is in my city, but I doubt they'd let me go pick it up from the sort facility. Soon though...
I went and did that this morning. but it was the day of my delivery, when they had it at the sort facility for two days since sunday night.

yes almost one of the last things they did. they tolerated it. which means a lot coming from GB lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my Gallery key for being a KS. That rounds out my first picks for games etc. Now all I need is the small matter of the headset..

Compsiox

Banned
Anyone know...?
How easy is it to change the settings (and area) in SteamVR from Seated position to Room-Scale position...?

I have the Rift, but am interested in the Vive. What I'd like to be able to do is easily switch from the Seated sensor of the Rift in my living room to the two Room-Scale sensor modules of the Vive near my dining room.

My hope is that this could be done at the press of a button - rather than manually having to recalibrate each time I switch (distance from sensor to position, heighth of sensor, usable area, etc).

I didn't realize you were talking about switching off from Rift to Vive. I thought you meant going from Vive seated to Vive room scale. Sorry can't help you there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just got my backer key for The Gallery.

Holy crap, this is good. Very good. Their VR interface and UI are so well done and polished.

I had a great experience in the first 20 mins. I picked up a note in a cave, and it was kind of hard to read. So I grabbed a candle off a table with my other hand and held it up to the note so I could read it better. After I was halfway finished reading the note, the damn candle caught it on fire and burned it up.

Amazing.

x3sphere

Man, the Vive is so good, just got mine today. Just played Space Pirate Trainer and Audioshield for a few hours. Never felt so immersed in a game before. Actually was so blown away by the experience I just spent the last hour rearranging my entire room so I have more space to work with. This really changes the way I look at games now.

I wish I was still in college. I can only imagine how insane something like Tilt Brush must be on a hallucinogenic trip.

For me, I would love to use Tilt Brush to build memory palaces. To do that, it needs the ability to load in Google Spheres or the Google VR Camera pictures first.

Long story short, I'm more hyped for Vive for the non-gaming applications.

Krejlooc

Banned
Can someone talk me in/out of this please. That trailer Valve released today is really making things hard.

The trailer is probably the best explanation of what using VR is like. If that trailer was appealing to you, and you can remember the transition from 2D games to 3D games (and how slow it was before we got big, full budget 3d games) and expect the same out of VR (i.e. only a few full-features games among a sea of smaller experimental games) and are cool with that level of gaming, this is a fine time to jump into VR if you got the money.

Krejlooc

Banned
For me, I would love to use Tilt Brush to build memory palaces. To do that, it needs the ability to load in Google Spheres or the Google VR Camera pictures first.

Long story short, I'm more hyped for Vive for the non-gaming applications.

you can do that in AltSpace. their visualization of google spheres is crazy - they appear as floating balls that look kind of like a portal. You walk into them and bam - you're in another place.

YuShtink

Fuck you HTC and your damn customer service survey emails. I got so excited....

Same thing just happened to me. I'm getting so god damn frustrated I seriously want to call and berate someone and tell them to SEND ME AN E-MAIL THAT ACTUALLY HELPS. I've been waiting with bated breath since Saturday morning when I finally got my canceled order "fixed" and the only e-mails I've gotten since from these assholes are customer service surveys. EAT MY ASS HTC. My Vive should already be here by now god dammit.

Sorry. Between this debacle and the Rift delay I'm ready to fucking lose it if I don't get SOMETHING FROM SOMEONE SOON

So I am going to go ahead and plan on ordering one. I know they were showing May as estimated ship time when i lpoked a few weeks ago. I am on mobile now and it doesn't show a time frame. Anyone know how far back they are booked until?

Fuck you HTC and your damn customer service survey emails. I got so excited....

Same thing just happened to me. I'm getting so god damn frustrated I seriously want to call and berate someone and tell them to SEND ME AN E-MAIL THAT ACTUALLY HELPS. I've been waiting with bated breath since Saturday morning when I finally got my canceled order "fixed" and the only e-mails I've gotten since from these assholes are customer service surveys. EAT MY ASS HTC. My Vive should already be here by now god dammit.

Sorry. Between this debacle and the Rift delay I'm ready to fucking lose it if I don't get SOMETHING FROM SOMEONE SOON

You all are using fed ex tracking manager right? I got a tracking from fed ex almost 7 hours ago from fed ex and still dont have anything from HTC.. So if you havent tried looking there you may be going through all of this for nothing.

YuShtink

You all are using fed ex tracking manager right? I got a tracking from fed ex almost 7 hours ago from fed ex and still dont have anything from HTC.. So if you havent tried looking there you may be going through all of this for nothing.

Yea I've been checking Delivery Manager every hour or so. Nada.

Mikeside

No info back from Daniel OB in over 7 hours.

I'm pretty pissed that somebody so high up at HTC would lie so directly to me/the community, as it seems he has right now.

Yea I've been checking Delivery Manager every hour or so. Nada.

I can't use the Delivery Manager since I'm having it shipped to work.

Guys is there a better lighthouse mounting solution than the following for stability and ease of use for moving the setup to different rooms?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRDD6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSMCPKQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I heard those clamps are much better than the ones in the OP, and only cost $2 more when you take shipping and tax into account.

If you have a little space to give up, you could order light stands. That is what they were using on the GB stream today.

So I am going to go ahead and plan on ordering one. I know they were showing May as estimated ship time when i lpoked a few weeks ago. I am on mobile now and it doesn't show a time frame. Anyone know how far back they are booked until?

May as of earlier today.. I am starting to think though this may start to slip as these reviews and people start demoing these grow. Hell I just told my wife today about it (after it had shipped ofcourse=p)... she didnt know really much about it. She used my dk2 for a couple of demos but that was it and doesnt really play games. But after seeing the valve trailer. She was like that looks awesome "you can duck to dodge?" I cant wait to play all the time" Those words have never been said by her about a game...

Point is.... get ready for the wii effect to take over soon. Yeah it cost alot but this will bring alot of non gamers into this medium. I wouldnt be surprised if the VIVE starts getting further backordered as time goes on for quite awhile.

May as of earlier today.. I am starting to think though this may start to slip as these reviews and people start demoing these grow. Hell I just told my wife today about it (after it had shipped ofcourse=p)... she didnt know really much about it. She used my dk2 for a couple of demos but that was it and doesnt really play games. But after seeing the valve trailer. She was like that looks awesome "you can duck to dodge?" I cant wait to play all the time" Those words have never been said by her about a game...

Point is.... get ready for the wii effect to take over soon. Yeah it cost alot but this will bring alot of non gamers into this medium. I wouldnt be surprised if the VIVE starts getting further backordered as time goes on for quite awhile.

It just sucks because I have to buy some plane tickets before my wife fully signs off on the vive. She doesn't care but I made an agreement for the flight first. I may not be able to order for another week or so. I am just wondering if HTC being a manufacturer they can keep up or add supply to meet demand vs what Oculus is doing. I lost all interest in the rift once details of the vive came out and was backed by Valve.

Do they charge you right away?

Evo X

If you have a little space to give up, you could order light stands. That is what they were using on the GB stream today.

Can you suggest some specific ones on Amazon?

I have tons of space in my basement and other rooms in the house, but I would really prefer to set this up in my 12' x 10.5' office. Of course, desk and bookshelf are going to cut into that space a bit, so I want to keep mounting clutter to a minimum.

I've only tried a few apps, but so far everything has been very blurry and or grainy/jaggy. Text (in vive home, steam vr, etc.) is borderline illegible. What am I doing wrong? :-(

Can you suggest some specific ones on Amazon?

I have tons of space in my basement and other rooms in the house, but I would really prefer to set this up in my 12' x 10.5' office. Of course, desk and bookshelf are going to cut into that space a bit, so I want to keep mounting clutter to a minimum.

I don't know any specifics, but something like this would probably work, as it puts things at least 9 ft up.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8SLI8U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well damn. I saw someone on reddit talking about paypal credit with no interest. Got approved and ordering a Vive. Here we go!

It just sucks because I have to buy some plane tickets before my wife fully signs off on the vive. She doesn't care but I made an agreement for the flight first. I may not be able to order for another week or so. I am just wondering if HTC being a manufacturer they can keep up or add supply to meet demand vs what Oculus is doing. I lost all interest in the rift once details of the vive came out and was backed by Valve.

Do they charge you right away?

If you use credit/debt.. no would be around shipping. Paypal yes.

Krejlooc

Banned
IPD? Sorry, not familiar with that one.

PC is win10, 3570k @ 4.6, sli oc'd 980ti's, 16gb ram.

IPD - interpupillary distance, the distance between your pupils. You need to match your physical IPD to the IPD of your headset for the best results. The vive and rift have IPD settings on the headset that move the lenses and screens wider and closer together. On the rift it's a slider, on the vive it's a knob. Both are in the blower front corner of the headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom