• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to stop watching them. Painful reminder that I must have an above average IQ. I don't know, maybe that seems harsh but for big time "tech guys" it really seemed like they were painfully unimaginative and having an awfully hard time figuring stuff out versus the tons of youtubers and such that I've seen do things for the first time and "get it." I don't follow them so maybe this is how they always are but it is just such a stark contrast to the reactions I've seen elsewhere.
It's like it's a total job to them ...

"What should we check out next?"

"Ah jeez, I'unno ..." *checks manifest*

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This just can't be, is there any UK gaffer with a CC charge and ship? Please stand up.

no. And nobody on reddit either. And it isn't just notifications - people are actively checking their bank accounts and credit card accounts and nothing is showing up.

Sounds like bollocks to me and I don't like how concrete they are being when clearly something is not right.

Not sure if anyone else is in this boat but apparently, HTC used a type of FedEx service to ship the Vive in the United States which prevents the recipient from having the package held or redirecting to a closer FedEx location. Essentially, if you miss your delivery (which I just did today), you have to go to the FedEx hub wherever you live (in my area it's in a bad neighborhood a good distance from where I live) to try and pick it up between when the FedEx trucks come back for the night and when the facility closes (it's usually a very slim time window). Otherwise, they try to deliver again the next day which is not helpful if you have a residential address like I do and actually work during the day.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I am legit terrified someone is going to beat us to market with our "idea". I know its silly, and my fault for not pre-ordering when it went live, but VR development wasn't even on our road map until we saw what Anton Hand was doing for Hotdogs and Hand Grenades.

Instantly everything changed for us after watching just one of his videos. We pretty much had simultaneous Eureka moments.

My wife, bless her heart, was laughing her ass off at the looks on our faces...lol.

I don't know how many of you guys have done smaller developments, but its pretty damn special when an idea materializes suddenly and has everyone on board instantly. I wonder if that's how team based scientific discovery feels in a way.

Anyways, roll on May. Roll the fuck on. I have the basis for the idea finished already in UE4, just need the Vive and a sprinkle of luck.

Evo X

Someone in Illinois got a tracking number after his pending charge disappeared. There's hope for me after all!

Same! Only difference is that since I used a debit card, my pending charge disappeared and the funds are back in my bank account.

Sweet. When are you scheduled to receive it?

I'm in Illinois and no activity on my end. Sent support an email, but not sure how useful they will be. FWIW, my Amex funds did not post, but the $880 is still missing from my account.

viveks86

Not sure if anyone else is in this boat but apparently, HTC used a type of FedEx service to ship the Vive in the United States which prevents the recipient from having the package held or redirecting to a closer FedEx location. Essentially, if you miss your delivery (which I just did today), you have to go to the FedEx hub wherever you live (in my area it's in a bad neighborhood a good distance from where I live) to try and pick it up between when the FedEx trucks come back for the night and when the facility closes (it's usually a very slim time window). Otherwise, they try to deliver again the next day which is not helpful if you have a residential address like I do and actually work during the day.

Yup. They chose the cheapest shipping method available. Mine is at a facility a stone's throw away, but they won't deliver it until tomorrow and they refuse to let me pick it up.

Mikeside

Ah, found what you're referring to:

"While the onboard USB works right now, we’ve found that it doesn’t have enough throughput if the Vive camera is activated. The camera is defaulted to off right now, but we’d recommend using the USB extender so that you don’t miss out."

http://blog.leapmotion.com/leap-motion-htc-vive-faq/

That's the one - I read it a few hours ago and forgot all but the jist of it.

I'll just run the USB cable along all the other cables!

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I've got one or two other major important purchases coming up so it's gonna be tough to find $800 for this over the next few months. I want it so bad. All in good time, and I'm loving what I'm seeing so far, it's very reassuring.

Zeknurn

OMG, it's here, it's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BqbGBcf.jpg

Meanwhile I'm waiting for any kind of shipping information.

Sky Chief

By the way, the packing is really good, the box is suspended in foam in the outer box. My outer box got damaged but Vive box inside was pristine.

Leap Motion just announced and released for pre-order their VR mount for Vive and Oculus CV1

€19.99 plus €7.99 shipping for UK, should be shipping out end of May

I've got one ordered as I just won a Leap Motion on eBay and I really want to try out Orion

Can't you just use some velcro instead? I assume it's already stuck to the headset with some sort of adhesive, unless they are using magic. Seems like a rip off spending $28 for a small piece of plastic.

AlanOC91

I'm more interested in VR with current AAA games. Is there many of them compatible or are they all these new techy demo vr kinda games?

Would love to be able to pick a Vive up and play games like Alien Isolation with complete full immersion. GTAV first person mode. Stuff like that.

I'm more interested in VR with current AAA games. Is there many of them compatible or are they all these new techy demo vr kinda games?

Would love to be able to pick a Vive up and play games like Alien Isolation with complete full immersion. GTAV first person mode. Stuff like that.

You can use wrappers like VorpX or MyDreamSwift, but YMMV per game. I find Skyrim to be enjoyable on my DK1 using a wrapper.

Mikeside

Can't you just use some velcro instead? I assume it's already stuck to the headset with some sort of adhesive, unless they are using magic. Seems like a rip off spending $28 for a small piece of plastic.

You could, and I was planning to, but this comes with a very long cable and will definitely secure the device firmly and correctly to the vive.

I'm pretty ok with that for the price, especially as I got the leap motion second hand and cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom