• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
*gulp*

vBYu3lz.jpg

5089: The Action RPG
Apollo 11
Audioshield
Cloudlands Minigolf
Descent Underground
Final Approach
The Gallery - Call of Starseed
Hover Junkers
Jeeboman
Space Pirate Trainer
theBlu
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Vanishing Realms
Virtual Desktop
Windlands

I'm probably lucky more stuff wasn't available today lol

viveks86

5089: The Action RPG
Apollo 11
Audioshield
Cloudlands Minigolf
Descent Underground
Final Approach
The Gallery - Call of Starseed
Hover Junkers
Jeeboman
Space Pirate Trainer
theBlu
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Vanishing Realms
Virtual Desktop
Windlands

I'm probably lucky more stuff wasn't available today lol

Haha. Yeah it's a bit overwhelming! And yeah I got ethan carter and project cars as well a couple of days ago. Man it has been an expensive month! And we are just 5 days in... o_O

IPD - interpupillary distance, the distance between your pupils. You need to match your physical IPD to the IPD of your headset for the best results. The vive and rift have IPD settings on the headset that move the lenses and screens wider and closer together. On the rift it's a slider, on the vive it's a knob. Both are in the blower front corner of the headset.

Thanks for this. I don't suppose there's a software tool or something like monitor calibrating slides to gauge what's best for you?

wwm0nkey

Trying to sell my DK2 so I can get a Vive, hopefully someone out there still wants a DK2. All the videos I've been seeing has just complete sold me on it.

Zaptruder

Banned
Regarding traversal...

I think I've found the best traversal system in Vive so far... and it's surprisingly... it's in the Vive Home app.

It's basically teleport, but you can go into the options and activate 'dash' mode, which gives you a bit of a quick visual transition to the teleport location, instead of just blinking you there. It happens quickly enough that it doesn't feel like real movement. Actually, it feels like you're pulling the world towards you more than anything else. So, no motion sickness, and best visual transition and ease of use. All games need to adopt this movement method (with no dash teleport for super motion sickness lightweights).

Krejlooc

Banned
Haha. Yeah it's a bit overwhelming! And yeah I got ethan carter and project cars as well a couple of days ago. Man it has been an expensive month! And we are just 5 days in... o_O

I have other games that I kickstarted or got a while back, like Project Cars, Radial-G, and Technolust. And I installed the Minecraft Vive Mod.

I also got all the interesting looking free titles today:

InCell VR
InMind VR
DCS World
Ikea VR Experience
The Lab
Realities
Surgeon Simulator VR
Realities
Back to Dinosaur Island
Back to Dinosaur Island Part 2

And of course the pack-ins
Fantastic Contraption
Tilt Brush
Job Simulator

I want to get Adrift and the climb when they come to Steam VR, too. And when is Everest VR supposed to drop?

Dineren

Banned
This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to buy additional lighthouses separately? I'm going to have my primary setup in a different room than my computer, but I've been thinking about games that will make more sense in my computer room (cockpit games mainly).

Seems like moving lighthouses whenever I want to switch would be really annoying.

Krejlooc

Banned
This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to buy additional lighthouses separately? I'm going to have my primary setup in a different room than my computer, but I've been thinking about games that will make more sense in my computer room (cockpit games mainly).

Seems like moving lighthouses whenever I want to switch would be really annoying.

Eventually I'm sure. They evidently will also eventually sell separate controllers, since you need 3 to do third person mixed reality cameras.

not available now though.

Kahoona

So I just pre-ordered my Vive today...can anyone tell me when I should realistically expect to receive it? HTC's website said May, but that seems too early to me.

viveks86

Is ethan carter able to be played on Vive yet?

Very soon. They've confirmed support is coming and they already got it working internally. I'd expect sometime towards end of this month. That's if the cross compatibility plugin isn't out before that

And when is Everest VR supposed to drop?

They said 'around launch' and went completely quiet. Probably sometime in the next month or two. And Budget Cuts! Man I'm so glad they released the demo to public.

And I just bought Windlands and 'n verlore verstand. Please send help.

I'm on the east coast (MA) & ordered within the hour that pre-orders went up and have yet to receive any shipping or tracking email. Only got the "order being processed" email that everyone else got. This really sucks though. Like, wtf did I pay 2 day shipping for if it wasn't going to arrive on time...

Bruno

Well after reading so much about the Rift and the Vive I finally did it. I know financially speaking I shouldn't have but I had the money in the bank so I pulled the trigger. I've been dreaming about good VR since I was a kid and now having a 4770K/980Ti PC & the funds - I couldn't hold back.

Ordered the Vive and I'm now on the waiting list for tracking info. FEELSGOODMAN

beejfQk.png

Krejlooc

Banned
Very soon. They've confirmed support is coming and they already got it working internally. I'd expect sometime towards end of this month. That's if the cross compatibility plugin isn't out before that

They said 'around launch' and went completely quiet. Probably sometime in the next month or two. And Budget Cuts! Man I'm so glad they released the demo to public.

And I just bought Windlands and 'n verlore verstand. Please send help.

lol I already have my next purchases planned out depending on release date. I want Pool Nation VR and Portal Stories: VR.

viveks86

lol I already have my next purchases planned out depending on release date. I want Pool Nation VR and Portal Stories: VR.

Same. Isn't Portal Stories VR free though? April 28th I believe.

Is the view through one of these 3D? Like, will you see depth to things?

Yes. You will see depth like you would see depth in the real world. Enough to fool your brain into thinking you are actually there.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is the view through one of these 3D? Like, will you see depth to things?

yes, you have one screen per eye in the HTC vive. each eye sees an entirely separate screen, with plastic separating them. Unlike 3DTVs or the 3DS, there is absolutely no crosstalk with these headsets.

The lenses focus at infinity, meaning you can see depth that feels as far and deep as real life, and your eye muscles will flex as though you were looking at something physically far away. It is vastly superior to any 3DTV in terms of stereoscopy.

Cartman86

Banned
Regarding traversal...

I think I've found the best traversal system in Vive so far... and it's surprisingly... it's in the Vive Home app.

It's basically teleport, but you can go into the options and activate 'dash' mode, which gives you a bit of a quick visual transition to the teleport location, instead of just blinking you there. It happens quickly enough that it doesn't feel like real movement. Actually, it feels like you're pulling the world towards you more than anything else. So, no motion sickness, and best visual transition and ease of use. All games need to adopt this movement method (with no dash teleport for super motion sickness lightweights).

Will Smith's app Foo Show does this too. At least in the main set part. Seems to work well for larger distances.

Soi-Fong

This shit from HTC is getting annoying.. Still no shipping confirmation or anything of the sort or even what's happening with the order.

It's not so bad since I have the Vive DK1 here at my house, but I'd like to have the actual consumer version.

Also, I can't stop playing AudioShield... lol

Gonna go through the gallery tomorrow. Seems like devs get the full version for free. lol

Apologies if I'm asking in the wrong thread, what made you chose this device over the rift?

I'm having a hard time to decide for myself.

( never mind, I'm reading some great comparisons between them).

This shit from HTC is getting annoying.. Still no shipping confirmation or anything of the sort or even what's happening with the order.

It's not so bad since I have the Vive DK1 here at my house, but I'd like to have the actual consumer version.

Also, I can't stop playing AudioShield... lol
Is the vive dk1 the pre version?

Well after reading so much about the Rift and the Vive I finally did it. I know financially speaking I shouldn't have but I had the money in the bank so I pulled the trigger. I've been dreaming about good VR since I was a kid and now having a 4770K/980Ti PC & the funds - I couldn't hold back.

Ordered the Vive and I'm now on the waiting list for tracking info. FEELSGOODMAN

beejfQk.png

Waiting list for tracking info?

IMACOMPUTA

Apologies if I'm asking in the wrong thread, what made you chose this device over the rift?

For me, it was having everything needed for roomscale in the box. And the fact that rift preorders were backed up to July and I would be able to get in first wave on the Vive.

Krejlooc

Banned
Apologies if I'm asking the wrong thread, what made you chose this device over the rift?

I chose both, I have both headsets (and a PSVR) coming.

However, if I could only choose one headset, I would choose the vive right now. It won't be long before software is totally interoperable between the vive and rift, so there is no real software advantage IMO. When you play with VR for a while, you start to notice how important having your hands tracked is. It's arguably as big of a gamechanger as having your head tracked is. Remember how exciting the wii felt when it first was released? That excitment is back right now, because VR lets motion controls fulfill their promises that went unfulfilled last gen.

I think a rift with touch controllers will ultimately be about as expensive as the Vive. If you're buying a headset right now, don't wait for touch controllers eventually, buy the all-in-one complete package right now. The most interesting VR software, IMO, is the ones that track your hands, like Hover Junkers, Tilt Brush, Cloudlands Minigolf, The Gallery, Budget Cuts, etc.

I think, mechanically, the headsets themselves are more similar than they are different. I think the Rift's headset itself sounds like a slicker headset in terms of production, but I don't think the Vive headset is ugly or uncomfortable or cheap. I think lighthouse is the best tracking solution we currently have, period, and eventually Oculus will abandon Outside-in positional tracking for lighthouse-like inside-out positional tracking by CV2. There is a chance Touch controllers will be ergonomically better than the vive wands, but I don't think the ability to gesture your thumb or index finger is actually that big of a deal (that's the exclusive feature of the touch) and compartively, from my time with the steam controller, I think a haptic touchpad offers far more utility than an analog stick. A haptic touch pad can convincingly emulate inputs such as buttons, d-pads, dials, mice, rotary inputs, etc. Or, to be blunt, a haptic touchpad can transform into a number of inputs with at least well enough, including an analog stick, but the opposite can't really be said.

In the end, once touch releases, I think the choice between headsets will largely be trivial and down to preference in ergonomics. At the moment, the vive is really the only complete headset IMO.

viveks86

Apologies if I'm asking the wrong thread, what made you chose this device over the rift?

I'm getting both. But I'm a little more excited for the vive because of fully realized roomscale functionality out of the box, which is crucial for long term adoption. And I like their more open approach.

If you don't have the room for it at the moment, or if you are simply not interested in moving around or motion controls, you can't go wrong with either headset, but you would certainly be missing out on a lot of what VR has to offer. They are pretty much on par otherwise, with minor pros and cons on both sides.

I did it. I watched anime in VR desktop while eating a jack in the box sandwich. Using the chaperone system, I was able to see my hands behind and under the screen to see my sandwich and eat with while it did not get in the way of my giant anime playing screen.

We've hit the big time.

A-V-B

I did it. I watched anime in VR desktop while eating a jack in the box sandwich. Using the chaperone system, I was able to see my hands behind and under the screen to see my sandwich and eat with while it did not get in the way of my giant anime playing screen.

We've hit the big time.

So begins the obsolescence of reality.

RIP in Reese's Peeses Universe 13.800,000,000 - 2016

viveks86

We've hit the big time.

Lmao!

taco543

We've hit the big time.
Sounds so hype. I'm gunna playing all my favorite shows on a massive vr screen and enjoying the crap out of it!

Maybe a dumb question, but any way to bump the resolution up (downsample) on games and apps like cloudland and the lab? Apply some aa? Not seeing any of the graphical settings I've become accustomed to as a PC gamer. Lol

Soi-Fong

So, how are the Illinois peeps here in terms of shipping notifications or anything of the sort? Still don't have anything regarding shipping at all.

I ordered and processed.. now I'm waiting for my tracking info. Whats the confusion?

For some reason the phrasing threw me, and I imagined some type of formal waiting list in which they had assigned and packaged a Vive for your order, but not yet shipped it.

I dunno, the VR desperation is getting to me. I sold some stuff to fund my Vive purchase, but unfortunately I had to do so through ebay so I won't get my paypal funds for up to two weeks. Which means I can't even secure a place in the figurative line until the middle of the month, at which point I'm fairly certain shipping will be delayed into at least June, if not worse.

Meanwhile, I'm still holding on to my Oculus preorder just out of the irrational thought that at least I have it, and I'm pretty early on (although not :05/06) with my order time. That's totally irrelevant though, because they can't seem to bother shipping out more than a few a day.

This is incredibly frustrating from every perspective. What is causing the supply issues with this stuff? I could be entirely wrong here, but it seems incredibly unlikely that either HTC or Oculus has more than a few hundred thousand preorders. They're selling expensive, brand new technology that requires very expensive hardware to run. This is a decidedly niche consumerbase, and it's not going to explode any time soon. Yet this can't be readily fulfilled? Why do I have to wait literal months to buy a product that arguably has small demand from a niche market?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Someone want to make a topic about this?

Working Oculus Rift -> HTC Vive compatibility layer test

Guy got Lucky's Tale running on his HTC vive with full headtracking using his campatibility layer, but it's not ready for full use. I guess the tracking is laggy, he said using it now would cause headaches. But it's a start.

If this hits prime time and gets all Occulus exclusives running well on the Vive before my Rift ships, I will just cancel my Rift and wait for my Vive to arrive in May.

oh my god. audioshield. is so good. it's a freaking workout. and it's fun to dance to. I'm the fun kind of DDR player not the expert mode handbar holding player. audioshield is so good to me. just dance it out while freaking out at the kinda difficulty.
Amazing gifs.

Has anyone tried the new content from TheBlu?
http://blog.wevr.com/theblu-season1-steamvr-293

I ran the turtles for a minute but nothing happened so i exited. as for the other one... hmmm... NOPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom