• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I finally cracked and got onto live chat. It went a little something like this...

Me:
Hi, I'd like to check on the staus of my Vive order, please.

Htc:
You can check it at htcvive.com

Me:
All that gives me is an order summary. There is no status information. How can I tell if you are trying to collect payment?

Htc:
Ask your bank.

Me:
Great, thanks.

They hired Hideki Kamiya?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My Vive has arrived, already connected all the cables and set up the lighthouses, now to install the software and jump into the other reality.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The live chat has been useless for me, too. The chat responses should be attached to their resumes. Absolutely useless and I bet they complain about the customers, too.

I placed an order a few hours ago and the text that came with the confirmation mail says that they begin shipping in May 2016. I live in the Netherlands, did anyone else have the same experience?
Did you not realize they're sold into May? It says so before you check out.

I finally cracked and got onto live chat. It went a little something like this...

Me:

Htc:

Me:
All that gives me is an order summary. There is no status information. How can I tell if you are trying to collect payment?

Htc:
Ask your bank.

Me:
Great, thanks.

Support staff, ladies and gentlemen.

Hey guys. I would hate to break your vibe but these orders are done in batch processing. Having worked for a bank for many years I can tell you that it is somewhere between your processor visa/mc/paypal, htc/digital river, and the bank. No one is going to be able to give you a correct exact answer.

Also since this is a constant flow there is probably no real way to track as digital river probably outsourced the distribution to different areas they are handling the collection of funds and the order request. This also probably explains why different areas are getting their vives at different times even though some people ordered earlier than others. I know its frustrating. If you have confirmed that you are wave one and havent heard anything in the next couple of days then may be time to worry. If you arent in wave one then anytime between now and May is the real and unfortunate answer.

Same here, IL peoples. We should form an IL support group.

I am guessing that the logistics of batches for each waive were sent to the further distribution centers first the way it looks... Thats why Aus and the western USA are getting first. They got the first batches delivered expecting longer ship times. The closer to the hub resulted in the later ship times. The local shipping is beating the the delivery to the hubs resulting in the closer groups getting the vives shipped last.

The hold on my bank card went away. US, 0:04 order. What should I be doing to fix this, if anything?

Nothing.

Holds are put on to verify funds and normally the receipt for the transaction goes through with in 3 business days. The banks delete the hold to give you availability of funds because they do not know if/when the charge will come through. But since the charge has been placed on hold previously the company can present the receipt for the transaction at a later time.

Think like a car rental. They normally place a hold on the card for more than the amount. If nothing is damaged the hold drops off. But lets say you do damage the car they would charge you for whatever you did the damage for regardless if you approve or not. Another concept is sometimes you go to a gas station they just put a dollar hold on the card to verify that it is a valid card when the actually processing is done the real amount has shown up.

Hey guys. I would hate to break your vibe but these orders are done in batch processing. Having worked for a bank for many years I can tell you that it is somewhere between your processor visa/mc/paypal, htc/digital river, and the bank. No one is going to be able to give you a correct exact answer.

Also since this is a constant flow there is probably no real way to track as digital river probably outsourced the distribution to different areas they are handling the collection of funds and the order request. This also probably explains why different areas are getting their vives at different times even though some people ordered earlier than others. I know its frustrating. If you have confirmed that you are wave one and havent heard anything in the next couple of days then may be time to worry. If you arent in wave one then anytime between now and May is the real and unfortunate answer.
Don't u tell me how to feel! ;_;

Nothing.

Holds are put on to verify funds and normally the receipt for the transaction goes through with in 3 business days. The banks delete the hold to give you availability of funds because they do not know if/when the charge will come through. But since the charge has been placed on hold previously the company can present the receipt for the transaction at a later time.

Alright, that was my main concern; if the charge could still go through or not. The money is there still, obviously.

Just got nervous with all the cancellation talk. Guess I need to wait a little longer and hope for the best.

Other than advise your bank that they will try again to charge your cc for the same amount, nothing

We can't do shit

They have already put a hold on your card they shouldnt need to do it again. The only other transaction should be when it hardpost to your account.

After five minutes of snooping around, this sounds most plausible explanation so far:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...preorder_in_europe_that_was_paid_with/d1rzbrb

Fuck it, if they cancel I won't re-order from Digital River. I'll get it from any other store if they can't handle a simple transaction. The pre-order tie-ins cost as much as the shipping does anyway. Dark Souls 3 can keep me busy for months.

Considering the complete lack of movement on CC orders in the EU, this makes sense.

libertytoast

Neo Member
Other than advise your bank that they will try again to charge your cc for the same amount, nothing

We can't do shit

I think their goal right now is to make you so sick of this reality, you spend all of your time in their virtual one... once you get it.

Ordered my Vive. When doing shipping 2 business day was 30. Next business day was 14. I went next business day. Kinda strange but OK.

spekkeh

Banned
After five minutes of snooping around, this sounds most plausible explanation so far:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...preorder_in_europe_that_was_paid_with/d1rzbrb

Fuck it, if they cancel I won't re-order from Digital River. I'll get it from any other store if they can't handle a simple transaction. The pre-order tie-ins cost as much as the shipping does anyway. Dark Souls 3 can keep me busy for months.

I mean you know, that's kind of amateur but certainly possible.

What's in a whole different league is them lying about it and being somehow physically unable to solve it in six days. Apparently because Digital River is an e-commerce company of over 20 years old, has more than a thousand employees and a revenue of $350 million, but no actual ERP system to speak of.

Ordered my Vive. When doing shipping 2 business day was 30. Next business day was 14. I went next business day. Kinda strange but OK.

I am not sure if you have been following the threads but the anticipation of getting the vive is the real fun! There is a service that they can provide to extend this service. Thats why the 2 day cost more.

Jokes..

Qassim

So, giving up all hope on getting it this week at this rate. They have to ship tomorrow for that to happen (I don't think DHL express includes saturday deliveries).

Zalusithix

Shouldn't even have an option. Sounds like a next day phone option crept into the order system. Like when the express shipping was $5 or whatever when they first went on sale.

My Vive is arriving today, I can't wait! Is there a particular reason that FedEx Delivery Manager doesn't let me sign for the package?

Because the stipulation states must sign in person. Just like how it says weekday delivery etc.

Special handling section Deliver Weekday, Direct Signature Required

I am not sure if you have been following the threads but the anticipation of getting the vive is the real fun! There is a service that they can provide to extend this service. Thats why the 2 day cost more.

Jokes..

Yeah it sounds like it is a mess. I honestly think I will forget about the order before may and be surprised when it comes in.

b0bbyJ03

just a heads up for the people that are looking for possible alternatives to waiting till May, I just walked into an MS store and made a reservation for a Vive (no down payment required). I don't think many people know that you could do it cause when I signed up they didn't even know that they could. The employees had to ask around so I doubt the list is long. No idea if they'll get it before my may preorder processes but I've gotten a lot of high demand products by going to the most random places in the past. Got an iPhone 6 at target 2 days after it came out by just walking in (it was back ordered for 2 months at the time) and bought a Dreamcast at BJs back in the day on launch week as a walk in as well. Just a suggestion in case anyone is interested. They said they'd call me as soon as it arrives in their store.

If they hold your mail normally. I wouldnt see why not. You may need to call fedex and the front office to confirm or make arrangements though.

The office always holds packages, so it should be an issue. I also left instructions for the FedEx driver on Delivery Manager that they can deliver to the office and have the manager sign. I'm also leaving work early today, so maybe I'll be home before it's delivered anyway. Don't want to to leave anything to chance!

just a heads up for the people that are looking for possible alternatives to waiting till May, I just walked into an MS store and made a reservation for a Vive (no down payment required). I don't think many people know that you could do it cause when I signed up they didn't even know that they could. The employees had to ask around so I doubt the list is long. No idea if they'll get it before my may preorder processes but I've gotten a lot of high demand products by going to the most random places in the past. Got an iPhone 6 at target 2 days after it came out by just walking in (it was back ordered for 2 months at the time) and bought a Dreamcast at BJs back in the day on launch week as a walk in as well. Just a suggestion in case anyone is interested. They said they'd call me as soon as it arrives in their store.

damn thanks man, ill have to hit my closest ms store after work today.

So put in a cancellation for my Rift. Vive preorder was put in last week (with an April date). The wait begins. Wish I had put in a "just in case" preorder for Vive the day it went live and I really hope they get Rift exclusives working on Vive by the time I get one. There are some games (and experiences) I was looking forward to over there.

I am guessing that the logistics of batches for each waive were sent to the further distribution centers first the way it looks... Thats why Aus and the western USA are getting first. They got the first batches delivered expecting longer ship times. The closer to the hub resulted in the later ship times. The local shipping is beating the the delivery to the hubs resulting in the closer groups getting the vives shipped last.

That was my guess, too.

deadfolk

Yeah, I know - used to be a financial software dev myself. I was initially just hoping for any info at all...like even what batch I'm in.

Yeah, I know - used to be a financial software dev myself. I was initially just hoping for any info at all...like even what batch I'm in.

If you mean batch from htc? You can email them. you will get something like this back:

Thank you for contacting the HTC Online support!

It would be my pleasure to help you out with the request you have; I took the liberty to check the order status and it shows that the product will be shipped on April luckily under the first batch that will take place on April the 5th. Keep in mind that you would be notified on your email with the tracking number so you would know exactly when the item will be delivered. This is the information that we can provide you at the moment according to your inquiry. Have a nice day!

For further details, do not hesitate to reply to this email or to contact us at +1-888-216-4736 from 9AM to 10PM ET, 7 days a week; have a wonderful day.

beyond that no idea.

mr stroke

Me:

Htc:

Me:

Htc:
Ask your bank.

Me:
Great, thanks.

Hahaahahahahahaha

This had me dying for some reason.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes just got a text From DHL saying my parcel will be getting delivered 11th!!!!!
UK here

CC payment is still pending in my account.

If I got one of those emails I'd be a tiny bit annoyed at it taking 5 days to be delivered when it could easily be here tomorrow. But mostly I'd be just relieved that something was moving.

Shinjica

I've just received a 'DHL Intraship' email :). Delivery on the 11th (paid by debit card/UK), which means it's not 'express' shipping by any stretch of the imagination. but still seems good news.

Paying for an express delivery and getting an economy is a bad move to do to your customer

Mikeside

Still no email for me.

I was considering getting the new HTC flagship in the summer but they can go fuck themselves after this.

UK wave 1 CC, also just got a shopping notice. Delivery on the 11th, extortionate shipping cost for such slow delivery!
Anyone know if it's possible to amend the delivery address for a DHL delivery?

Qassim

Seems to be a trend that very early UK CC orders (e.g. before 4 minutes) haven't had theirs sent out. Really quite annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom