• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishQ

My Vive is here!!

I paid with credit card and I'm east coast US, for those of you keeping score.

Now to finish work so I can try it out...

Wag

Pick a room with some free space. For Room Scale VR, you will need at least 2m x 1.5m (or 6.5 ft. x 5ft.). The maximum distance supported between base stations is 5m (or 16 ft).

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2001-UXCM-4439

you should be fine with at least 6.5 ft. x 5ft.. the max is 5m.

Edit. Oh I misread that.

floorplan.jpg

I have plenty of space, that's not the issue. The problem is that my PC is in the living room (on the side by the 12'). I have the 12'x16'6" config.
It's sort of reverse of what's shown in the floor plan here and I don't see how I'm going to be able to mount 2 cameras diagonally.

artsi

Kinda ridiculous that there's a list of "high priority" orders that they're looking into. From what we've seen, almost every early pre-order is messed up.

Instead of hearing about what they're doing to fix them as a whole, he's saying on Twitter everything's fine.

Everything is okay, there are no delays, Vive is shipping. -Daniel O'Brien

q4Uduue.jpg

Shoyz

What is so hard about shipping first come first serve?
Someone on Reddit said they got tracking with a :22 order. I'm a :02 order! If they dont ship today I won't get it until Monday next week earliest, christ!

Been refreshing like mad since Friday.

floorplan.jpg

I have plenty of space, that's not the issue. The problem is that my PC is in the living room (on the side by the 12'). I have the 12'x16'6" config.
It's sort of reverse of what's shown in the floor plan here and I don't see how I'm going to be able to mount 2 cameras diagonally.

Why does it have to be diagonal? As long as they are across from each other you should be fine.

Edit: fine if you bring your borders in some for your play space i mean.

spannicus

I cant see my order on Digital River, says incorrect number or password, but im doing it right. Anyone else experience this issue?

floorplan.jpg

Could you use light stands or some of the floor to ceiling mounts? I mean, yeah it means pulling that stuff out when you want to use it, but it's not that involved of a process from everything I've seen.

Yes, on Monday.

I had a pending charge on my cc last week, which disappeared for a while, and then showed up on my statement after I got the shipping notification.
I think a lot of us were secretly hoping you never got an email in the hopes they had shipped but forgot to tell us.

Wag

Why does it have to be diagonal? As long as they are across from each other you should be fine.

I'm going by the mounting configuration in the manual. That's why I'm going to wait until they actually get out there and we have some real user reports. I'm sure users with odd-room configurations will describe their mounting issues.

Zalusithix

He'd barely even have to do that - if at all. That's a 20.4' distance between the lighthouses at a maximum diagonal vs the 19.6' distance that Stress Level Zero is using.

libertytoast

Neo Member
I think a lot of us were secretly hoping you never got an email in the hopes they had shipped but forgot to tell us.

Yup. Except for getting a shipping notification from HTC, my experience was the same as them. According to FedEx, I haven't lived at my address long enough to sign up for the Delivery Manager, so my only hope of finding out when my Vive comes in is an email from HTC.

1KjPByX.png

Red dot are base stations. Red lines are how far sensors site lines are. blue box is play area.

or more room if you do it the other way actually

Sheytan

Unfortunately I don't think the Vive is going to work for me. I have a big living-room/dining room configuration and therein lies the problem. My PC is at the far wall, and there's no place for me to mount the cameras <5m. My room is too big.

I might have no choice but to go with the Oculus.

You could buy a pipe clam for cameras and a tele-prop

Z3M0G

VR gaming will survive by multiplayer.

Watching GB play those shooting gallery tech demo's yesterday looked like something very cool that would get boring after 30 minutes... and may have no longevity after the first session or first few sessions...

Well take that and transform it into a multiplayer experience. Where you are in teams, shooting at each other, and taking each other out. Throw in some unlockables after earning xp, etc., since that is undeniably the norm and major hook of a lot of FPS multiplayer games these days.

You now have a game that someone can come back to and play over and over even though it is relatively the same small slice experience.

EVE Valkyrie and RIGS could be huge out of the gate thanks to this... so long as there is a userbase to play with.

b0bbyJ03

The cords are detachable (they come in the package seperate) and you can easily add a battery pack to it if you want to.

whoa, had no idea you could run it completely wirelessly!! Thank you for the info. Now I'm extra excited. Are the battery packs sold separately?

libertytoast

Neo Member
Guys is TheBlu actually worth $10? I was going to play it as my first Vive experience, but it seems like the kind of thing I'll only ever play once.

None of the Steam reviews have more than an hour in the game, and they all seem to say they're great demos to introduce people to VR.

I think if you plan on having a lot of friends / family trying it out, you can use that as a go to first experience. But if it's mostly going to be you using the headset, I'd wait for a steam sale.

Wag

You could buy a pipe clam for cameras and a tele-prop

That floor plan doesn't really show the way my room is set up. There is approximately 15ft from my TV (at the door side) to the couch at the far wall. My PC is set up at the wall next to my TV.

The space leading into the living room is approx 10'.

If I could put the camera over my TV, and then at the far wall (over my couch) approx 16' away, that would probably be the best way to do it. Then of course there's the wire routing issue. It seems like it will be a PITA to set up.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

Watching GB play those shooting gallery tech demo's yesterday looked like something very cool that would get boring after 30 minutes... and may have no longevity after the first session or first few sessions...

Well take that and transform it into a multiplayer experience. Where you are in teams, shooting at each other, and taking each other out. Throw in some unlockables after earning xp, etc., since that is undeniably the norm and major hook of a lot of FPS multiplayer games these days.

You now have a game that someone can come back to and play over and over even though it is relatively the same small slice experience.

EVE Valkyrie and RIGS could be huge out of the gate thanks to this... so long as there is a userbase to play with.

Or you know, single player games that aren't gimmicky! First person RPGs in open worlds that you can explore is the holy grail imo. We just need to resolve the traversal problem in VR. The teleporting method is not the right approach.

murgo

When do you guys think that we'll be able to buy a Vive at Amazon or other outlets? I don't want to deal with HTC and this bullshit 60€ shipping fee.

None of the Steam reviews have more than an hour in the game, and they all seem to say they're great demos to introduce people to VR.

I think if you plan on having a lot of friends / family trying it out, you can use that as a go to first experience. But if it's mostly going to be you using the headset, I'd wait for a steam sale.

Hmmmm I do want to demo the Vive for people, and TheBlu seems like a great way to do that.

Unrelated, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was just updated with Vive support! Gamepad only, though.

Or you know, single player games that aren't gimmicky! First person RPGs in open worlds that you can explore is the holy grail imo. We just need to resolve the traversal problem in VR. The teleporting method is not the right approach.

What about exercise even. That is going to be huge down the road. Esp as the devices get smaller.

Zalusithix

whoa, had no idea you could run it completely wirelessly!! Thank you for the info. Now I'm extra excited. Are the battery packs sold separately?

You'd need big heavy batteries to power them for any length of time. Those batteries would look worse than the small cable coming down the wall. This is not a practical setup outside of making a portable demo station

Edit:
Then of course there's the wire routing issue. It seems like it will be a PITA to set up.

It's just power. They're not cameras. There's no data to route back to the computer. The Rift will be a far bigger PITA to set up for anything remotely comparable.

b0bbyJ03

Just called the galleria mall microsoft store neat Saint Louis and as of now they are not taking preorders. He said that could change anyday.

FYI the MS store by me (NYC) wasn't taking preorders either. They're taking "reservations" meaning that as soon as it arrives in the store they'll call you in order of who signed up first. They said they can't do preorders becase they don't know exactly when their shipments will arrive. The even send you a confirmation email
26274645595_15cd21794c_o.png

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

From my perspective, it'll survive just fine by providing a series of interesting single player experiences. Not too worried about getting hundreds of hours out of individual games (although that might happen as the games continue to develop). It would be interesting to see where the demographics lie on single player vs multiplayer focused players for VR.

There's definitely a lot of potential to have more fun with your friends. Holding up your shield to protect your wizard friend from a hail of arrows, stuff like that... things will get pretty crazy as multiplayer representation techniques develop. Foo's already on it with the inverse kinematics technique.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That floor plan doesn't really show the way my room is set up. There is approximately 15ft from my TV (at the door side) to the couch at the far wall. My PC is set up at the wall next to my TV.

The space leading into the living room is approx 10'.

If I could put the camera over my TV, and then at the far wall (over my couch) approx 16' away, that would probably be the best way to do it. Then of course there's the wire routing issue. It seems like it will be a PITA to set up.

Can't you ceiling mount them? You could run extension cable into the ceiling and along to a wall, then fish it out at the floor to go to an outlet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
from my boy Danny: (unimportant bits cut out)

Last chance for a good outcome.

Come on, HTC, make me a believer again.

How did you get in touch with him? I'm getting double screwed with both the CC delay and having my order cancelled and reinstated (wave 1 -> wave 2)

taoofjord

GAF, I can't take the wait any more. This way lies madness.

Side note: there's a super early demo that's been released for Vertigo. Anyone with a Vive want to try it out and report back? It looks neato.

Durante

From my perspective, it'll survive just fine by providing a series of interesting single player experiences. Not too worried about getting hundreds of hours out of individual games (although that might happen as the games continue to develop). It would be interesting to see where the demographics lie on single player vs multiplayer focused players for VR.

There's definitely a lot of potential to have more fun with your friends. Holding up your shield to protect your wizard friend from a hail of arrows, stuff like that... things will get pretty crazy as multiplayer representation techniques develop. Foo's already on it with the inverse kinematics technique.
I think the whole premise of "VR needs X to survive" is a bit off base.
VR is an entirely new medium. It will have X, it will have Y, but it will also have A and B. Most crucially, I hope it will have letters we haven't even invented yet.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Like Fantastic Contraption. Or Audioshield.

I'm sure those are fun games, but I'm referring to something a little more ambitious. VR by definition lends itself to world exploration, such a shame that we can't actually move and explore due to limited space in the real world. Not sure how to solve that problem but I hope someone does. Until that's resolved, we'll never be able to achieve VR's full potential imo.

taoofjord

I'm sure those are fun games, but I'm referring to something a little more ambitious. VR by definition lends itself to world exploration, such a shame that we can't actually move and explore due to limited space in the real world. Not sure how to solve that problem but I hope someone does. Until that's resolved, we'll never be able to achieve VR's full potential imo.

Teleportation seems to be a great solution in the meantime. I've heard nothing but positive things about people's experience with it.

Durante

To me, boiling down the potential of VR specifically to that feels equivalent to reducing the entire potential of traditional on-screen gaming down to only the Skyrim type of experience.

Sure, it would be nice to have that type of experience in VR eventually, but it's just a small specialty in a very large and diverse medium.

This

PolishQ

So... my PC has only one HDMI output from the graphics card, and I'd like to output to my HDTV and Vive simultaneously... is that what the mini display port on the breakout box is for?

Durante

Also I don't see why you would use EVE Valkyrie and RIGS in a Vive thread as examples of VR multiplayer games when Hover Junkers exists.

I think the teleportation works for some things, like games with actual teleportation (Budget Cuts), and Adventure/ Exploration games.

Watching the GB Vive stream, Hover junkers "one hand moves, the other hand interacts" paradigm might also have some merit. But even that was sort of a cockpit experience, so we may never get away from having something to ground our vision on in VR. The question is, will developers be able to make compelling, long form "traditional" gameplay experiences taking these limitations into account? It'll be a while before we have the answer.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
To me, boiling down the potential of VR specifically to that feels equivalent to reducing the entire potential of traditional on-screen gaming down to only the Skyrim type of experience.

Sure, it would be nice to have that type of experience in VR eventually, but it's just a small specialty in a very large and diverse medium.

I'm referring to mobility in general, not necessarily just in an item world rpg. I don't think this aspect can be reduced to a small specialty. Mobility is a principal pillar in our reality and we need to be able to reproduce that in VR, it'll affect a very large portion of the medium in games and other applications.

artsi

Hover Junkers looked a bit janky when I watched the GB stream yesterday, but still it's one of the most interesting VR games currently.

Can't wait to see what we have in 1-2 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom