• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Also any large nose users? lol.. should have asked those questions earlier ;)

I'm in wave 2, waiting to find out. (normal nose width but really high bridge)

1459868525_6957407861948.jpg

It looks like there might be a bit of room to dremel out that upper area if necessary. Will see how it goes.

Edit: aww yeah, great way to start the page. Tackling the important issues for regal-nose-GAF!

derFeef

I'm in wave 2, waiting to find out. (normal nose width but really high bridge)

It looks like there might be a bit of room to dremel out that upper area if necessary. Will see how it goes.

High bridge too, I read there are exchangable nose pads? Dremel sounds dangerous, lol.
Hopefully they tested this out with a lot of noses ;)

Edit: Hah!

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
just a heads up for the people that are looking for possible alternatives to waiting till May, I just walked into an MS store and made a reservation for a Vive (no down payment required). I don't think many people know that you could do it cause when I signed up they didn't even know that they could. The employees had to ask around so I doubt the list is long. No idea if they'll get it before my may preorder processes but I've gotten a lot of high demand products by going to the most random places in the past. Got an iPhone 6 at target 2 days after it came out by just walking in (it was back ordered for 2 months at the time) and bought a Dreamcast at BJs back in the day on launch week as a walk in as well. Just a suggestion in case anyone is interested. They said they'd call me as soon as it arrives in their store.
Huh, I might do this. Worth a shot.

Compsiox

Banned
One of my controllers is losing tracking more often than usual. I'm going install the newest lighthouse firmware and see if I can get it to work. Maybe it will fix the tracking if not then I gotta get a new controller.

Raticus79

High bridge too, I read there are exchangable nose pads? Dremel sounds dangerous, lol.
Hopefully they tested this out with a lot of noses ;)

Edit: Hah!

Yeah, hopefully it won't be necessary. I was bumping into it on the Rift DK2 and read about the dremel idea when searching for other people with that problem. Wound up just putting up with it so I could eventually resell it (done, broke even). I think the nose pad is the rubber thing in front of the hard plastic. Just eyeballing it here, I think it should be ok for me. If not, I probably will look into creating a bit more room there so I can get in as close as possible to max out that FOV.

One of my controllers is losing tracking more often than usual. I'm going install the newest lighthouse firmware and see if I can get it to work. Maybe it will fix the tracking if not then I gotta get a new controller.

Interesting, I wonder if that's what they ran into on the Giant Bomb stream with the difficulty pulling the lever with the right controller in The Lab. I was thinking it might just have been an occlusion issue.

Zalusithix

Perusing the SteamVR dev board, I came across this:
Alex Hopmann said:
To answer another offline question- easiest way to get a 3rd PRE or consumer controller tracked is to plug it in wired. Its usually not too much of a hassle to have a long USB cable on the camera's tracker.
Looks like the consumer hardware still has a 2 tracked controller pairing limit. Assuming it is a fixed hardware limitation, this severely limits all those additional body part / accessory tracking ideas. In the very least it'd make it impossible without using the aux USB port on the headset for an additional receiver (or ones directly on the PC).

Edit:
Interesting, I wonder if that's what they ran into on the Giant Bomb stream with the difficulty pulling the lever with the right controller in The Lab. I was thinking it might just have been an occlusion issue.
Heh, if we already have people experiencing tracking issues with lighthouse tech, I can only imagine what the Touch controllers are going to see when they're used outside of a controlled environment.

Edit 2:
Hey let me ask you all who have one. Are you getting a cover for the face plate? the only ones I can find dont ship till may 10 https://vrcover.com. Is there any other dyi solution people are aware of or somewhere else that ships?
Full winter face mask before putting the Vive on? ;) More seriously, the covers are just a bit of material sewn together. Nothing stopping anybody from making their own. How well it stays in place and how nice it looks would obviously depend on the skill of the creator.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Anyone have experience cancelling a Vive order that was charged with PayPal? Only thing about the MS store route that concerns me is how fast I would get the funds back from an online Vive order through PayPal if the MS store received it first.

Full winter face mask before putting the Vive on? ;) More seriously, the covers are just a bit of material sewn together. Nothing stopping anybody from making their own. How well it stays in place and how nice it looks would obviously depend on the skill of the creator.

Yeah I dont sew well. I need to find something to hold me over till then I guess.

IMACOMPUTA

I've been acting mad just joking around about not getting a shipping notice or anything in IL, but I'm actually getting pretty pissed off.

This is bullshit. If I don't get it before the weekend I might bash some heads in.

Durante

I've been acting mad just joking around about not getting a shipping notice or anything in IL, but I'm actually getting pretty pissed off.

This is bullshit. If I don't get it before the weekend I might bash some heads in.
I can totally understand that, I felt like you up until 20 minutes ago!

asker

Those of you Europeans that have got tracking information, does it look like you really got your moneys worth of Express shipping?

Durante

Those of you Europeans that have got tracking information, does it look like you really got your moneys worth of Express shipping?
Well, I just got the shipping notification (it's 17:27 here) and it says that it should arrive on Friday.

Given the size of the package that's kind of OK I guess. Maybe not really "got my money's worth" territory, but also not "I'll kill you HTC!" territory.

Now for it to arrive on the H2020 deadline day ;).
We have more projects than we can hire competent people for, I'm not currently writing any proposals. And our last deliverable deadline was 2 weeks ago. (Thank god)

b0bbyJ03

need some info about the lighthouses. How long/thick is the power cord and is it detachable? I dont mind mounting them in the corners of my living room as long as i dont have cords hanging off of them while they're not in use. Also, is there a fully wireless option i.e. batteries? Thanks guys

asker

Well, I just got the shipping notification (it's 17:27 here) and it says that it should arrive on Friday.

Given the size of the package that's kind of OK I guess. Maybe not really "got my money's worth" territory, but also not "I'll kill you HTC!" territory.
Yeah, I'd also be happy with 2 day inter-Europe shipping. I don't expect I'll be as lucky, if I ever get my notification :)04)

EVIL

need some info about the lighthouses. How long/thick is the power cord and is it detachable? I dont mind mounting them in the corners of my living room as long as i dont have cords hanging off of them while they're not in use. Also, is there a fully wireless option i.e. batteries? Thanks guys

The cords are detachable (they come in the package seperate) and you can easily add a battery pack to it if you want to.

Raticus79

Hey let me ask you all who have one. Are you getting a cover for the face plate? the only ones I can find dont ship till may 10 https://vrcover.com. Is there any other dyi solution people are aware of or somewhere else that ships?

Hmm, probably easiest DIY solution would be to get a thin absorbent balaclava and cut away the majority of it, leaving just the necessary face portion and some supporting straps.
wholesale-3-hole-black-knit-ski-mask-balaclava.jpg

(would probably need at least temple and skull base for it to stretch properly and not bunch up on your eyes - maybe ok to just cut off the top and bottom to make a Vive-sized band out of it. Faceband?)

Making your own HMD cover that stayed in place would be relatively difficult. Guess you'd want some slightly stretchy material, sew a mask-sized oval to reinforce it, cut out the middle, and then anchor the outside with some elastic.

finally-gif-252.gif

Woo!

If I got one of those emails I'd be a tiny bit annoyed at it taking 5 days to be delivered when it could easily be here tomorrow. But mostly I'd be just relieved that something was moving.

I was just happy something is happening, but true shipping charge is ridiculous for that amount of time!

My Vive is supposed to come in between 11 and 2. I'm sitting in silence in my apartment, waiting for the door to get knocked.

For whatever reason, this made me think someone needs to do a Doakes "Surprise, Motherfucker." meme image when him holding Vives and saying "Some Vives, Motherfucker."

I've not had caffeine yet. Leave me alone.

Hmm, probably easiest DIY solution would be to get a thin absorbent balaclava and cut out the majority of it, leaving just the necessary face portion and some supporting straps. (would probably need at least temple and skull base for it to stretch properly and not bunch up on your eyes)

Making your own HMD cover that stayed in place would be relatively difficult. Guess you'd want some slightly stretchy material, sew a mask-sized oval to reinforce it, cut out the middle, and then anchor the outside with some elastic.

Woo!

or

latest

Who knew the lone ranger was prepared for vr all this time?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone have experience cancelling a Vive order that was charged with PayPal? Only thing about the MS store route that concerns me is how fast I would get the funds back from an online Vive order through PayPal if the MS store received it first.

shouldn't be any issues cancelling it - thats what Digital River seem expert at.

Sorry. It should be fine to cancel - there is a cancellation button on your order page and I think they send you an email to confirm.

Hmm, probably easiest DIY solution would be to get a thin absorbent balaclava and cut away the majority of it, leaving just the necessary face portion and some supporting straps.

(would probably need at least temple and skull base for it to stretch properly and not bunch up on your eyes - maybe ok to just cut off the top and bottom to make a Vive-sized band out of it. Faceband?)

Woo!

or

latest

Who knew the lone ranger was prepared for vr all this time?

I think I found an answer spandex head band cut the eyes out.

q-sport_2270_425961286

Durante

The VR cover question is a good one, given how many people I either want to show the Vive to or who know me who will want to try it.

I'll need to MacGyver something.

Now I'm doubly jealous :(
Well, I just remembered that I have to do internal review on and complete a project report for a non-H2020 project until Sunday :/. If that makes you feel better.

Mikeside

from my boy Danny: (unimportant bits cut out)

I'm personally looking into your order. I already have your number with some others in a list for high priority. Will send you update later today. I'll get you sorted.

Last chance for a good outcome.

Come on, HTC, make me a believer again.

Raticus79

The VR cover question is a good one, given how many people I either want to show the Vive to or who know me who will want to try it.

I'll need to MacGyver something.

Well, I just remembered that I have to do internal review on and complete a project report for a non-H2020 project until Sunday :/. If that makes you feel better.

I have an order in for two of these - think I got them just before they put up the "May 10th for next batch" message:
https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-pre-vr-cover-waterproof-for-exhibitions-sport/
(wonder if these will have their own shipping drama?)

Just noticed the order actually includes two, so I'll have some extras.

Ha, if anyone can find one wide enough (and has breathable fabric), that would work too.

Yup, that would work. You'd want to sew around the holes so it wouldn't fray on you over time.

Well I ordered this cover below but wont ship till may 10. I am looking for a temp solution for now.

P3100127.jpg

Wag

Unfortunately I don't think the Vive is going to work for me. I have a big living-room/dining room configuration and therein lies the problem. My PC is at the far wall, and there's no place for me to mount the cameras <5m. My room is too big.

I might have no choice but to go with the Oculus.

Just called the galleria mall microsoft store neat Saint Louis and as of now they are not taking preorders. He said that could change anyday.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
shouldn't be any issues cancelling it - thats what Digital River seem expert at.

Sorry. It should be fine to cancel - there is a cancellation button on your order page and I think they send you an email to confirm.
Lol. Cool, thanks.

Unfortunately I don't think the Vive is going to work for me. I have a big living-room/dining room configuration and therein lies the problem. My PC is at the far wall, and there's no place for me to mount the cameras <5m. My room is too big.

Pick a room with some free space. For Room Scale VR, you will need at least 2m x 1.5m (or 6.5 ft. x 5ft.). The maximum distance supported between base stations is 5m (or 16 ft).

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2001-UXCM-4439

you should be fine with at least 6.5 ft. x 5ft.. the max is 5m.

Edit. Oh I misread that.

kaskade

When are these things going to be in store. I'm a may order but if I could find one in a Best Buy or something before I'd save on shipping.

libertytoast

Neo Member
Come on, HTC, make me a believer again.

Kinda ridiculous that there's a list of "high priority" orders that they're looking into. From what we've seen, almost every early pre-order is messed up.

Instead of hearing about what they're doing to fix them as a whole, he's saying on Twitter everything's fine.

Zalusithix

How big? the 5m thing isn't absolute. This setup is functional with 6m distance between the lighthouses.
valve-vive-lighthouse-boundaries.jpg

They're also not cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom