• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

This is something that you keep bringing up. What does the economic health of HTC have to do with anything!? The tech is all Valve, who cares about HTC!?

Well, I don't think it's totally insignificant. If HTC bails out for some reason Valve needs to start negotiating with other companies, and developing a new product might take a long time.

Krejlooc

Banned
Well, I don't think it's totally insignificant. If HTC bails out for some reason Valve needs to start negotiating with other companies, and developing a new product might take a long time.

There is nothing stopping chinese companies from outright cloning the vive. In fact, I expect them to start doing that soon enough, perhaps with cheaper parts. Valve has been 100% open with their lighthouse tech. They want it to proliferate and become a standard for tracking. We actually should be rooting for such a knock-off market to formulate. If VR really is going to catch on, then that type of clone is inevitable.

Krejlooc

Banned
Are LG going to repair my Vive if it breaks?

FWIW, you shouldn't expect your headset to be viable beyond a couple of years anyways. Once foveated rendering gets here, all the current headsets will be obsolete.

HTC is supposedly trying to pivot towards being a VR company first, not a cell phone company. They're betting their entire company on the Vive. I would think that the shots of HTC totally and completely shutting down within 2 years aren't really too high.

Regardless, I actually expect Valve to announce new headset partners at the next CES. Valve doesn't just want one headset out there to their spec, they want lots of them.

artsi

There is nothing stopping chinese companies from outright cloning the vive. In fact, I expect them to start doing that soon enough, perhaps with cheaper parts. Valve has been 100% open with their lighthouse tech. They want it to proliferate and become a standard for tracking. We actually should be rooting for such a knock-off market to formulate. If VR really is going to catch on, then that type of clone is inevitable.

Of course, I'm just talking about a scenario where Valve wants to have a high quality, officially supported HMD like Vive is now. It's just a risk for them as a business, but not a huge one as they always have Steam.

There's no question that OpenVR / SteamVR as a platform will have plenty of legs.

spekkeh

Banned
So I said I wouldn't start freaking out until Wednesday.

tumblr_lm2drgxRcD1qke2ouo1_500.gif

Six days! No status update, no email nothing. That claim on my moneys simply idling away. That gall of the 73 euro express delivery.

How is that PR manager still with a job.

How is HTC?

My Vive is just stilling there in a DHL depot collecting dust. It's just a half hour drive, let me pick it up instead of waiting until Friday :(

Krejlooc

Banned
Is there a build of Dolphin VR that works with the Vive yet? There are a few games I want to try out right off the back, namely F-Zero GX.

The moment they announced they weren't shipping with touch is the moment they lost the message IMO. I've been reflecting these last few days and what they told us at Steam Dev Days wound up being true - the demo we tried (the "Valve Room") indeed was something we'd have in our homes within 3 years. They did it in 2. Oculus didn't stick to the vision and launched something well behind the vision valve sold me on that day.

The success of the vive is the success of lighthouse. None of this happens if it's not for lighthouse, IMO. They engineered a brilliant solution to what had been a constant problem since the 1980's with incredible elegance and they don't get nearly enough credit for it. Lighthouse, what it is and does conceptually, is an enormous leap forward for technology. They shamed a whole bunch of dedicated research teams IMO.

What's exciting is hearing Alan Yates talk about the other systems they have in R&D, some of which he says are viable. He won't go into detail about how they work, but he leaks their codenames, which are similar to lighthouse (foghorn, for example).

Alan Yates said that, when Oculus sold Mark Zuckerberg on VR, they didn't show him an oculus demo. Rather, they actually demoed for him the Valve Room, and after he purchased Oculus they tried to poach Valve's VR team. Alan Yates said they failed, and that the great majority of the VR team stayed behind at Valve. I suspect that's why valve was able to deliver the system they promised at Dev Days while Oculus was not.

I sometimes wonder is Abrash regrets his decision to move over to Oculus. It left such a nasty taste in my mouth whenever Oculus sold out to facebook and quickly scalped talent, especially from Valve who had been sharing tech and knowledge ACUTALLY TRYING to live up to the Oculus kickstarter promise of VR, open VR regardless of shareholders and profit margins. It instantly turned me off of Oculus and I couldn't be happier that I went with the Vive.

Krejlooc

Banned
I sometimes wonder is Abrash regrets his decision to move over to Oculus. It left such a nasty taste in my mouth whenever Oculus sold out to facebook and quickly scalped talent, especially from Valve who had been sharing tech and knowledge ACUTALLY TRYING to live up to the Oculus kickstarter promise of VR, open VR regardless of shareholders and profit margins. It instantly turned me off of Oculus and I couldn't be happier that I went with the Vive.

I don't think he regrets the move. He gets to team up with Carmack again and basically got to put together a research team at a company dedicated to his passion with unlimited funds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Enjoy all who are on board. I'm passing on the first revision (display isn't up to snuff for me yet), but the true 1:1 stuff with the controllers is something special.

Crispy75

Yeah, we're still at a very early stage right now.

I think Carmack's focus on mobile will be their long-term winner. Combined with a bottomless R&D fund, they'll be first to market with an all-in-one device that doesn't need tethering or base stations. That's the VR device that will truly go mainstream.

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah, we're still at a very early stage right now.

I think Carmack's focus on mobile will be their long-term winner. Combined with a bottomless R&D fund, they'll be first to market with an all-in-one device that doesn't need tethering or base stations. That's the VR device that will truly go mainstream.

I don't know if they'll be first to market for an all-in-one system. Nvidia has been working on one since 2014. I expect Nvidia to announce the first all-in-one VR headset, probably this year or early next year.

What carmack and nvidia are working on will lead to what will eventually be the first consumer-feasible AR headsets (no, hololens doesn't count) in the future.

Jimrpg

So frustrating seeing all the VR games on Steam when the Vive is not available to be preordered in our country yet!

Zaptruder

Banned

A lot of the work in the Vive headset (and the Rift really) is Abrash's work. Abrash and Carmack are both leaders in the field - the fruits of their labour take years to filter down (but because it's been years, it already has).

I expect that Oculus will recover from the tepid launch (especially relative to Vive) and will help to lead from the front in terms of tech in a generation or two (especially with things like eye tracking, gesture/hand tracking, face tracking integration, full body motion camera, etc).

That's the kind of tech that we already know they (Oculus as a whole) are working on... just it's hard work, so it'll take a while for them to release it to public (or even just get it to the point where they're confident to announce).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MnjbPYy.png

PyqD8yF.png

What if I ordered a week ago and it still says April?

mSnfEbl.gif

Do they have the timestamp of my original order, or the order they made by remotely logging in to my PC to make? Hopefully the first one. Although if that arrives on time they'll need a time machine as I was hoping for it already

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I have a feeling that the delay in processing the CC orders are because of the big number of cancellations and the promise to not lose the place in the queue, so they try to sort things out to deliver them in the original order.

spekkeh

Banned
I got an e-mail from HTC! I got an e-mail from HTC!

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Hello,
Thank you for your enquiry.
Our email address and customer support contact number has changed, please visit http://www.htc.com/uk/contact/phone/ or alternatively visit http://www.htc.com/uk/contact/email/ to submit your enquiry.
Thank you.

Greaaaaat.

This is the fourth time I got this e-mail even though the last time I enquired anything was on Friday.

I don't know if they'll be first to market for an all-in-one system. Nvidia has been working on one since 2014. I expect Nvidia to announce the first all-in-one VR headset, probably this year or early next year.

What carmack and nvidia are working on will lead to what will eventually be the first consumer-feasible AR headsets (no, hololens doesn't count) in the future.

AMD may beat them to the punch.

Also, why would you say that hololens doesn't count?

spekkeh

Banned
I have a feeling that the delay in processing the CC orders are because of the big number of cancellations and the promise to not lose the place in the queue, so they try to sort things out to deliver them in the original order.

They could just use, I dunno, the order number to at least send it out to the ones who were in the initial batch and for whom the cc checked out.

Krejlooc

Banned
AMD may beat them to the punch.

Also, why would you say that hololens doesn't count?

It doesn't do what, for me and many others, is the defining trait of Augmented reality - it doesn't occlude computer generated objects around reality. By which I mean it needs a method of derviving not only the geometry but also spacial mappings surrounding the headset quick enough and reliably enough, and be able to derive it's position in the room, to make objects appear to pass behind real life objects in front of them.

Hololens doesn't do this yet. It can detect surfaces and make it's projections look like they appear on those surfaces, but if anything passes in front of them the illusion is broken. It's not mapping the environment, nor is it discerning it's position in the environment. This, to me, puts hololens in the realm of Heads Up Displays, which are a precursor to AR (along with VR).

Ultimately, the companies which will likely get us environment tracking that is fast and accurate enough for AR use will likely either be google or microsoft, as they've invested heavily in R&D projects designed to do that. But neither Google Glass nor Hololens are what I'd consider AR yet. They're just very forward thinking HUDs.

You can already see the sectors of computing that will need to converge to make AR a thing. We'll need environment tracking to get great, we'll need Oculus and Valve to continue solving the logistical problems associated with Virtual application design, and we'll need Nvidia, Apple, and Oculus/Carmack working to make mobile computing viable for powering this hardware in a small enough form factor to be self contained.

That's why people following VR and AR agree that AR is still over a decade off. Too much needs to happen before it becomes really viable, but the seeds are already being planted.

Zeknurn

Day 3 on Vivewatch and there's nothing to report. Had I known they would prioritize paypal over cc I would have used it instead. So much for a xx:02 order.

Krejlooc

Banned
So my vive is supposed to be here in a few hours, and in fact it's already in town. But HTC still hasn't posted a charge to my account.

T.O.P

Banned
They are not prioritizing Paypal.

I ordered with Paypal and haven't heard a peep :p

There is still something wrong with CC orders, especially in Europe, quick look over Twitter or Reddit is enough to see it

Also Dan answered me yesterday telling that he'd get back to me with new info, obviously still nothing as of today

OkPXoPe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom