• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

They are not prioritizing Paypal.

I ordered with Paypal and haven't heard a peep :p

What other explanation is there if you look at the all posts on reddit? Take this one for example

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...preorder_in_europe_that_was_paid_with/d1rwsni
billyboblee
Hi, I ordered my Vive the exact same time as my brother.
He had received his delivery tracking number yesterday (6th April) at 1:19pm. He paid using PayPal.
I have not received any information from HTC. My bank account still show your payment 'pending' since the 1st April. I did not use PayPal but instead used Direct Debit Card.
Card payments are not been charged for UK and EU countries. And the lack of communication from HTC is frustrating.

T.O.P

Banned
As expected

immagine8ookq.png

People better start cancelling those tweets

I would be pretty angry (if I wasn't a queue jumping paypaller).

Incidentally I was told yesterday by the online chat people that my order had shipped. Under normal circumstances I'd be excited, but I just didn't believe them. It's bizarre how poorly their stock/tracking database works.

It's terrible, how did you contact them? Got the info?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is still something wrong with CC orders, especially in Europe, quick look over Twitter or Reddit is enough to see it

Also Dan answered me yesterday telling that he'd get back to me with new info, obviously still nothing as of today

Don't worry. I'm confident that we will soon be seeing some people start to prepare to have information packaged in a way that will eventually let them see that their order will shortly be preparing to embark on the shipping procedure that will lead to it being moved forwards on the despatch process towards the final stage where you will finally receive some further updates from us during April.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
?

You can't DM someone who's not following you, Dan's page has no DM option if you wanna check

You can send DM if the recipient has checked the option to receive DM from anyone. I don't want to send him a DM now just to check that though.

Anyhow, posting sensitive info like your order number in public is a big no-no.

Compsiox

Banned
If one day you only have an hour to use your Vive, you might as well not use it because it'll be really hard to pull yourself away.

Any big-glasses wearer? I am shortsighted and have big glasses. Should I plan to get contacts for VR?

I have glasses with -12 and -13 dioptre lenses and there is no issue. I wouldn't expect your prescription strength to have that big of an impact due to the focal length within the headset.

Metal B

Seeing The Gallery in the Giant Bomb stream, i notice a good rule by thumb for teleportation movment. The moving method worked very well there, because the player was given clear and intresseting landmarks to target, they were not too far away from each other and it played a walking sound, while fading to black.

The first part is important, since the player is immediately exploring and not thinking about the transition. If the other place is not to far away, the player can make out the area ahead and doesn't feels disoriented. Give them something interesting to make out in the far to again distract them from the transition.

The sound of walking helps a lot. The fading and sound is actually a little bit longer, if you teleport longer distances. So you the player can imagine the movment. That's why it is important, to push the player into teleportation longer distances directly and give them an idea of the envoiment, they would have walked along. This works the best, if you design the places in between boring and the landmarks very interesting looking. Sound-design is very important here and the Gallery actually changes the walking sound, for different environment grounds. Your brain will connect the dots and in the Gallery the teleportation actually didn't felt like an immargin killer.

derFeef

I have glasses with -12 and -13 dioptre lenses and there is no issue. I wouldn't expect your prescription strength to have that big of an impact due to the focal length within the headset.

You mean taking the glasses off? I thought you would still suffer frm shortsightedness even if you are near the optics as you "look at distance".

edit: Also any large nose users? lol.. should have asked those questions earlier ;)
Ah well!

How can people be so dumb to publicly tweet their order number? If you can't DM him then just tweet him "hey please fix that or let's come up with another solution".

T.O.P

Banned
How can people be so dumb to publicly tweet their order number? If you can't DM him then just tweet him "hey please fix that or let's come up with another solution".
More like, how do you setup a Support Page that makes you erase an order just by knowing its number?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I was watching someone play Vanishing Realms and I liked how the guy used repeated teleportation to basically mimic walking. You can't teleport very far per teleport, and there is no cooldown but rather a very quick fadeout that prevents you from just holding down the button.

I'll have to play with teleportation time and cooldown, because getting teleportation working well is likely figuring out the right combination of both.

this exactly
to mimic walking with the blink animation. I'd like to see if that can't have it so it teleports you at a walking distance (few feet) has the blink animation and if you press and hold it repeats that following the blue ball on the floor. But with a deliberate steady pace not fast

dumbo

To be fair, the HTC guy did ask for Order Numbers, and those numbers are supplied with a password which is required to access online services. When you phone them up, they do confirm your billing details etc.

However, Digital River/HTC created a separate form that didn't require *any* authentication at all, and simply allowed you to enter an order number and select cancel.

The form is now gone. Hopefully no-one used a cloud service to request cancellation of every order in their system...

Edit: actually the form is still up :(.

simonski

It's terrible, how did you contact them? Got the info?

Ca't find the link, but it was just under the Contact page I think.

Had two phone calls from support today - neither really had any info, but that it should arrive 'soon'. At this rate I think I'll be lucky if it arrives in May, and actually I wouldn't mind if there wasn't a chunk of cash paypalled from my bank account with 'april' written on it.

You mean taking the glasses off? I thought you would still suffer frm shortsightedness even if you are near the optics as you "look at distance".

edit: Also any large nose users? lol.. should have asked those questions earlier ;)
Ah well!
Are you talking physically large glasses? You keep your glasses on inside the headset, and most modern styles should fit without issue. The foam that forms the seal around your face has indentations at the sides to allow space for the arms of your glasses.

Cannot comment on the nose issue!

derFeef

Are you talking physically large glasses? You keep your glasses on inside the headset, and most modern styles should fit without issue. The foam that forms the seal around your face has indentations at the sides to allow space for the arms of your glasses.

Cannot comment on the nose issue!

Yes physically large glasses. Thanks for the answer, I guess I will only find out when this thing arrives.

Metal B

this exactly
to mimic walking with the blink animation. I'd like to see if that can't have it so it teleports you at a walking distance (few feet) has the blink animation and if you press and hold it repeats that following the blue ball on the floor. But with a deliberate steady pace not fast
Like i wrote above, sound-design and the difference in length of the transition is also very important. Vanishing Realms still looks like, you have to teleport too much for small adjustments. which looks strange in battles. Some kind of trigger place at the edge of the play field, should move you a step into that direction. So you can very natural backup or even pushes you away, if you get hit, this would help the battle system to more interesting (also it has to look into Zelda: Skyward Sword in how to create Motion Control sword battles.).

Day 3 on Vivewatch and there's nothing to report. Had I known they would prioritize paypal over cc I would have used it instead. So much for a xx:02 order.
My :01 order with an :02 conf email arrives today in USA east coast. I called my cc company ahead of time so they would white list the charge. You should call your cc company and HTC to see what's up.

Luth1en

I placed an order a few hours ago and the text that came with the confirmation mail says that they begin shipping in May 2016. I live in the Netherlands, did anyone else have the same experience?

derFeef

I placed an order a few hours ago and the text that came with the confirmation mail says that they begin shipping in May 2016. I live in the Netherlands, did anyone else have the same experience?

Yes, Austria, here as well. I guess that's par for the course right now.

spekkeh

Banned

ay lmaoooo

Man, I can't believe this day is here. Consumer VR is actually a thing. Birth of an industry dudes.

BUT IT'S NOT HERE D:

Ca't find the link, but it was just under the Contact page I think.

Had two phone calls from support today - neither really had any info, but that it should arrive 'soon'. At this rate I think I'll be lucky if it arrives in May, and actually I wouldn't mind if there wasn't a chunk of cash paypalled from my bank account with 'april' written on it.

My PhD student got called by a call center from Chad. Like that invokes confidence. Next up, Nigerian prince wants you to hold his HTC Vive while he inherits a large sum.

Mikeside

checked with my bank and the payment hold had expired

I'm on with livechat now and they're escalating a new payment process for me - might be worth others trying this

I've had no confirmation what this means for shipping

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How the hell do I contact anyone about my order? They haven't responded to my email in days. I guess I gotta call but the office is closed now. Ugh.

I also can't tell what billing method I used. The invoice doesn't list any payment details. Only the billing and shipping address.

My Vive is just stilling there in a DHL depot collecting dust. It's just a half hour drive, let me pick it up instead of waiting until Friday :(

So apparently the website lied, and "on hold, DHL taking action" means driver underway. I contacted DHL CS to ask the what that status meant and they replied that it's scheduled to arrive in the next 4 hours.

Zalusithix

I also can't tell what billing method I used. The invoice doesn't list any payment details. Only the billing and shipping address.

Under the total on the lower right it should have a Payment Method: XXX field. Granted it appears generic to card type so if you're the type that has a bunch of cards, that wont help much.

Helznicht

I am Paypal'd for a May delivery. In some ways I am glad I am not knee deep in all the drama, my heart couldn't take it. Good luck guys.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Under the total on the lower right it should have a Payment Method: XXX field. Granted it appears generic to card type so if you're the type that has a bunch of cards, that wont help much.
I don't see that at all. There's nothing there. Hmmm...

Edit: oh, there it is in the email. But not on the website.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I started to link my bank account with my Paypal for when I order this weekend. Good thing I did, the stupid instant confirm wouldn't work so I'll have to wait 2-3 days for confirmation now. I just want to have this thing ordered already. It's going to be hard reading all the impressions for at least a month.

deadfolk

I finally cracked and got onto live chat. It went a little something like this...

Me:
Hi, I'd like to check on the staus of my Vive order, please.

Htc:
You can check it at htcvive.com

Me:
All that gives me is an order summary. There is no status information. How can I tell if you are trying to collect payment?

Htc:
Ask your bank.

Me:
Great, thanks.

I started to link my bank account with my Paypal for when I order this weekend. Good thing I did, the stupid instant confirm wouldn't work so I'll have to wait 2-3 days for confirmation now. I just want to have this thing ordered already. It's going to be hard reading all the impressions for at least a month.
Don't worry, it's gonna be hard for all of us that ordered within three minutes of preorders going live too.

Zalusithix

How far we've come - article on VR from 1989: http://www.nytimes.com/1989/04/10/b...l-reality-wear-a-computer.html?pagewanted=all

estimated cost? $200,000

$200k for garbage quality no less.
For a virtual environment, new frames would have to be generated on the spot at a rate of 30 frames a second.
NASA's virtual environment uses either line drawings of objects or shaded black-and-white images. Only eight frames a second are shown, so motion is a little jerky. If a user moves his head too quickly, there is a lag time before the image catches up.
30fps ideal, 8fps reality. Eight frames per second. Even a traditional game rendering on a screen is virtually unplayable at 8fps. A "little" jerky my ass. Even their 30fps target would be sub-optimal by a long shot.

Though really, it's this part which has little to do with VR that I found the most amusing.
Generating a lifelike computer image requires several hours of computation per picture frame.
A lifelike rendering still takes several hours per frame today with computer hardware that's orders of magnitude more powerful than what was available back then. The definition of what constitutes "lifelike", however, has changed. Now "lifelike" means indistinguishable from reality. Back then it simply meant believable at first glance.

I finally cracked and got onto live chat. It went a little something like this...

Me:
Hi, I'd like to check on the staus of my Vive order, please.

Htc:
You can check it at htcvive.com

Me:
All that gives me is an order summary. There is no status information. How can I tell if you are trying to collect payment?

Htc:
Ask your bank.

Me:
Great, thanks.
Support staff, ladies and gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom