• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I have this random intermittent issue where the headset goes completely gray (flickering off almost) and seems to lose tracking. I can't figure out if its like a loose HDMI cable or an issue with my GTX 1080 (I have the Gigabye Xtreme Premium Plus, which came with a front panel breakout box for VR). Any idea what this is?

While I didn't have this specific issue, I had a tracking issue a while back that was solved by reinstalling the drivers. See if that does it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whoops left one of my lighthouses on for 3 days.

Has anyone here ever gotten them to actually powerdown? I know they're supposed to but have been under the impression that they just don't so I unplug/replug them every time I use it.

Since it seems they're taking care of the issues in a timely manner, I've now bought it - even if I can't actually play it right now. Still no idea how problems like that managed to get out the door in the first place though.

Thinking about this, is it possible they don't actually have a Vive to test with? If they were doing all of their testing on Oculus Rift, it would explain how they didn't notice the Vive controller alignment.

I know it seems a bit ridiculous, but they're a pretty small team, and $800 is nothing for anyone to sneeze at. And it least in theory if not practice, they shouldn't need to test on a Vive, because SteamVR is designed to be headset agnostic.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

Has anyone here ever gotten them to actually powerdown? I know they're supposed to but have been under the impression that they just don't so I unplug/replug them every time I use it.

dont have to turn them off mine have been on since i got them at launch

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
dont have to turn them off mine have been on since i got them at launch
That's good to hear! Yeah the whine/buzz kinda gets to me but I may just end up leaving them on all the time as well. I just know there's that spinny thing on the inside.

Ventrue

Steam VR -> Settings -> General

You need to install/enable bluetooth from that tab, and then check 'Put Base Station in Standby when VR not in use'

Padinn

While I didn't have this specific issue, I had a tracking issue a while back that was solved by reinstalling the drivers. See if that does it.

Well, I read on reddit that the base stations can be tested via developer settings and that they should be inside a cone in the room overview. I fiddled with them a bit and I think its better overall.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I don't know, I feel like they acknowledged the limitations of VR and built a game that works very well within them.

I like it a lot more than the original SuperHot, which always felt kind of like a memory/trial-and-error challenge. In particular, I think the concept works a lot better when you can turn your head to see your surroundings without advancing time.

You could look around in Superhot too without moving time. The ruined the balance for throwing and melee since everything instakills so a lot of the really cool timing based fights simply doesnt exist in the VR version. The fights also always end before they really get started and there is no real continuity in the levels/fights, and it is extremely short.

As for the trial and error challenge, thats what Superhot is, a puzzle action game, and Superhot VR is still that just a lot more limited and the fights are shorter.

Edit: Like its an excellent experience and a really cool demo to use for people trying VR for the first time but as a game its really just "ok"

Zalusithix

Thinking about this, is it possible they don't actually have a Vive to test with? If they were doing all of their testing on Oculus Rift, it would explain how they didn't notice the Vive controller alignment.

I know it seems a bit ridiculous, but they're a pretty small team, and $800 is nothing for anyone to sneeze at. And it least in theory if not practice, they shouldn't need to test on a Vive, because SteamVR is designed to be headset agnostic.
OpenVR doesn't guarantee offsets are logically correct between the different controller options. I don't buy the expense excuse either. They might be small, but $800 shouldn't break the bank for a dev that put out one of the most popular titles on the Rift. It's also chump change vs what'd be pulled in on Steam. Beyond that, it logically makes more sense to shell out the $800 and ensure everything works as intended than just hope for the best and push it to Steam where virtually every purchase is going to be using the Vive wands. First impressions mean a lot. You could easily lose far more than the $800 in sales by flubbing something and having negative impressions spread.
that's bizarre, won't they break down over time?

They're essentially hard drive motors, LEDs and lasers - all of which have an extremely long lifespan. That said, there's no reason to leave them on with the BT auto on/off feature. Heck, I wouldn't leave them on just because the noise of the motors spinning would drive me batty.

Monger

I'm loving Superhot VR. The amount of fun I have is definitely tied to how I approach each set piece and what I'm able to pull off.

It's also the one game I haven't minded using the grip buttons. Having to switch weapons so often it seems like the way to go. It helps that each set piece is pretty short.

This puzzle game Form is apparently coming out June 1st. Looks really polished.

ThankfulHatefulAmericanrobin.gif

Also Racket: NX is free this weekend. Check it out. It's awesome.

SimplexPL

It was a timed exclusive. Vive version was announced weeks (if not months) ago.

At some point Valve was giving out devkits left and right, so the devs most probably got it. Not to mention that developing a Vive version without having a Vive would be utter madness.

This is a gif from their devlog from exactly a year ago - when the camera goes up you can see for a very short time something that looks awfully similar to Vive basestation in the top left corner.

piotrvr3.gif

jwc13ac

So gonna keep flooding thread with new Vive owner impressions.

I really wanted a space shooter so I went with "House of Dying Sun" for now, and man it's cool! My only comparison is Eve: Valkyrie demo on PSVR and I think this is a bit more what I'm looking for. It has Missions, story etc. I wish they modeled your body like Eve, from what I see is an empty cockpit. But I guess I could see why they wouldn't do this.

Even seated this game have great immersion. Some type is small, but I can deal.

Played a bit more of Superhot and man that is just the best game. Maybe I'm a Superhot fanboy but this is exactly what VR is about. I was legit sitting on floor dodging bullets shooting at guys. GF officially thinks I'm nuts and I'm ok with that!

Going to really get into the driving games next. I have project cars and dirt rally, tries both but had some frame issues. I wish they had a standard "VR mode settings" but whatever I'll figure it out.

Zalusithix

Has anyone here bought everspace, and tried it on VR?

Been itching to buy it.

Only played a little bit of it, but quick impressions:
  • It currently lacks any keybinding.
  • Trying to get the settings so it doesn't reproject on my rig but still looks good is a pain. AA is useless as it blurs the GUI to hell and back which leaves supersampling the only way to look decent, and that's obviously resource intensive.
  • The small size of enemy ships (at least in the beginning) combined with the low resolution of VR headsets makes it a bit of "shoot the bounding box around the enemy" instead of "shoot the enemy".
  • Some HUD elements attached to objects in the game can jitter noticeably.
  • Lots of smaller text elements in the menu / upgrade shop that are less than ideal for VR.

So yeah, not exactly a perfect VR implementation right now, but VR just got added in the last update so there's room for it to improve. I'm not going to touch on the gameplay as I haven't played enough to make any judgments there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
About to play TheBlu for the first time.
Steam VR -> Settings -> General

You need to install/enable bluetooth from that tab, and then check 'Put Base Station in Standby when VR not in use'

I appreciate it dude will check out later

wondermega

So gonna keep flooding thread with new Vive owner impressions.

I really wanted a space shooter so I went with "House of Dying Sun" for now, and man it's cool! My only comparison is Eve: Valkyrie demo on PSVR and I think this is a bit more what I'm looking for. It has Missions, story etc. I wish they modeled your body like Eve, from what I see is an empty cockpit. But I guess I could see why they wouldn't do this.

Even seated this game have great immersion. Some type is small, but I can deal.

Played a bit more of Superhot and man that is just the best game. Maybe I'm a Superhot fanboy but this is exactly what VR is about. I was legit sitting on floor dodging bullets shooting at guys. GF officially thinks I'm nuts and I'm ok with that!

Going to really get into the driving games next. I have project cars and dirt rally, tries both but had some frame issues. I wish they had a standard "VR mode settings" but whatever I'll figure it out.

Yeah Superhot is amazing. I'm on the floor too, feeling like a crazy person! This is gaming in the future, I love it. 2 things - it's actually a good workout (this game makes you move, a lot) and I can also see people potentially seriously injuring themselves playing games like this. A part of your brain thinks you are really being attacked, and you can react with some unintentional force when your adrenaline gets pumping. I tried to smash a dude with a wine bottle, and accidentally punched a physical wall pretty hard, knocking a lamp onto the floor.

Ferrio

Banned
Finally free from Persona 5 I checked out some VR games that have been in the backlog. Went through the Rick and Morty game, not sure how much of the extra content I'll go after unless there's something really insane hidden.

Tried Pavlov, found it fun but people were only playing team deathmatch which was a clusterfuck. I was expecting more of a counter strike format.

I gotta be honest, I like Superhot, the way it changes how a shooter is usually played in VR is commendable. It isn't really a shooter in the traditional sense anymore and therefore it stands out from this crowd.

But it is far from the exhilarating thrill I thought it must be considering the praise it got, the Matrix simulator, at least for me. It's more of a "play 10 minutes and then I had my fill for the day" arcade style experience, not something that grabs me for a longer period of time. Not that thats inherently a bad thing but it's something I've definitely noticed.

The coolest thing in the game to me are actually the Amiga references everywhere lol, that took me by surprise.

You could look around in Superhot too without moving time. The ruined the balance for throwing and melee since everything instakills so a lot of the really cool timing based fights simply doesnt exist in the VR version. The fights also always end before they really get started and there is no real continuity in the levels/fights, and it is extremely short

You can? How?

Wardancer

Neo Member
You can? How?

offtopic now but:
Just move your mouse? Time only moved when you moved with WSAD or performed actions with weapons/hands.

Edit: Really wish they had figured out a way to do replays, the original game didnt use a body for the player anyway so the dark squiggly mass with free floating hands in a third person view or just displaying on one of the monitors "outside of the game" would do a lot. In original superhot I spent a lot of time replaying missions just to get a better replay because it looked pretty spectacular in realtime.

SimplexPL

Dang form looks really cool.
Was just looking at gritty bit and the cheesy look is kinda cool.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/616570

It supposedly has some kind of special method of artificial locomotion to prevent nausea, something with tilting head to move.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6dq7oo/interesting_locomotion_solution/

instead of using roomscale or thumbsticks my game employs the use of tilt-based locomotion and this is how it works. Once the game starts up, your current position in your play space becomes your center space. You can recenter using the specified controls. Any offset that the headset makes from that center position counts towards a magnitude of how much movement you will make. It is more of a position offset based locomotion but the fastest way for people to get into it is by tilting their bodies in different directions. This way you can intuitively move around the game world while feeling engaged in the action. From my test results in person on over 20 people, ranging from VR pros to first timers, not one person has gotten motion sickness.

I just bough Vertigo, so I'll hold for now, but if anyone tests the locomotion solution in that game, please report back.

Only played a little bit of it, but quick impressions:
  • It currently lacks any keybinding.
  • Trying to get the settings so it doesn't reproject on my rig but still looks good is a pain. AA is useless as it blurs the GUI to hell and back which leaves supersampling the only way to look decent, and that's obviously resource intensive.
  • The small size of enemy ships (at least in the beginning) combined with the low resolution of VR headsets makes it a bit of "shoot the bounding box around the enemy" instead of "shoot the enemy".
  • Some HUD elements attached to objects in the game can jitter noticeably.
  • Lots of smaller text elements in the menu / upgrade shop that are less than ideal for VR.

So yeah, not exactly a perfect VR implementation right now, but VR just got added in the last update so there's room for it to improve. I'm not going to touch on the gameplay as I haven't played enough to make any judgments there.

Thank you. I guess I'll wait until the VR part gets updated.

Yo Superhot was supershort, one of the shortest games I have played in VR. It was fun regardles.... what happens to the save when I put the disc in with the label "restart/whipe progress" (or what was it called?)

Can the game be played like it was at the first run (in the white room, not the red room?) without losing all the other options?

Or do I have to manually remove/backup my savefiles so the game doesn't find anything to make the game start as if it is run for the very first time?

So one thing I'm hearing about the TPCast that I didn't hear before is that you can't use a mic with it. I knew you couldn't use the camera, but no mic is kind of a big deal. Hoping there's a work around.

Zalusithix

So one thing I'm hearing about the TPCast that I didn't hear before is that you can't use a mic with it. I knew you couldn't use the camera, but no mic is kind of a big deal. Hoping there's a work around.

A mic (via the extensible USB port), or *the* mic built into the HMD itself?

Durante

Yeah I also just read this.

I use the built-in mic probably 80% of the time I'm in VR, so this is a rather big deal to me. I hope they fix it, otherwise it's a pretty significant deterrent.

Mine turn on/off fine, and have done so since launch with the exception of one particular SteamVR beta release.

Haint

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaha, no, it is not possible. Superhot 2D has over half a million owners and was funded by a $250k Kickstarter. Superhot VR was funded by Oculus and being a perennial on the best seller list, has all but certainly generated around $1 million or more on the Oculus store. They have probably cleared $5 million or more, $800 is like losing a penny.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Front Defense VR will be releasing for home use in June. It is a WW2 military shooter game that's published by HTC's own Vive Studio, and has been showcased in various events and at their own VIVELAND amusement center. This release is the first time that private HTC Vive users like us will get to play it at home.

There's nothing fresh about the gameplay though. Its basically a turrent shooter like John Wick Chronicles.

Check out the video below to see the gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGoJX9YbdYo

Tales of Glory mixed reality video.

Not that I particulary look forward to this game (maybe it's a decent mass-slasher similar to the Ninety Nine Nights games or something)

The tracking for this mixed reality video looks really on point tho so I thought I'd post a link.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Tales of Glory mixed reality video.

Not that I particulary look forward to this game (maybe it's a decent mass-slasher similar to the Ninety Nine Nights games or something)

The tracking for this mixed reality video looks really on point tho so I thought I'd post a link.

Lol. I will check this game out

Karak

If enough people make good environments for Home. hell I will just use it to run online dnd games. Loving it so far aside from on my pc it hangs while loading for an insane amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom