• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hundreds of Fast-Food Workers Strike for Living Wage, Inspired by Wal-Mart Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
juan30n-1-web.jpg

Mary Lopez, 52, her close-cropped hair sprinkled with gray, stood outside a Burger King on W. 34th St., chanting along with other protesters:

“We can’t survive on seven twenty-five.”

Lopez normally works at a McDonald’s on W. 47th St., but Thursday morning she went on strike from her job, and then around noon urged Burger King employees to join in a risky act — a one-day walkout of the city’s fast-food workers.

Nothing like it had ever been tried before.

The coalition of community, church and labor groups that organized the protest claimed a couple hundred workers walked out at several dozen restaurants.

Executives at the fast-food companies were quick to play down the impact of this protest.
But this strike is only the start of the campaign to unionize low-paid service workers, with the goal of a $15-an-hour living wage, coalition members say.

The powerful Service Employees International Union has hired 40 full-time organizers to spearhead the campaign. Coalition members say they were inspired to act now by the Black Friday walkouts of some Walmart workers around the country.

After all, hundreds of thousands of minimum-wage workers in restaurants like Burger King, McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Domino’s and Taco Bell form a great mass of humanity that for decades has been both indispensable and invisible in urban America.

Once, fast-food chains were largely part-time jobs for teenagers and college kids who needed a little extra money.

But after years of the richest 1% walking off with so much of our nation’s wealth, places like McDonald’s and Walmart have become the last resort for too many middle-aged and elderly workers.

“I’ve never been so low in my life,” Mary Lopez said as she counted off all the maintenance jobs she’d done — all for far better pay.

“I put in 10 years at the World Trade Center, you know the restaurant at the top of the towers, Windows on the World, and I was in the restaurant union then,” she said. “After that, I spent another 10 working for OTB (the Off-Track Betting Corp.). We had a union there, too, but they laid me off from that job in 2010.”

Standing next to Lopez was Linda Archer, 59, a cashier at the McDonald’s at Times Square.
“I’ve only gotten an 80-cent raise in the past two and a half years,” Archer said. “It’s just me and my mother at home, and she’s retired. But I’ve got bills to pay, and they give me just 24 or 26 hours a week of work. How are we supposed to make it in this city, with everything so expensive?”

Archer held a string of clerical jobs in the past, but with openings so scarce in this recession, she ended up at McDonald’s.

“Back in the 1980s, I had a job where I belonged to Local 1199,” she said proudly. “We had real benefits.”

And that is why this union campaign is already different. Because too many middle-aged workers have been pushed into low-wage jobs that don’t allow them to live in dignity. Those workers know the difference a union can make. They know that even the titans of the service industry, McDonald’s or Walmart or Burger King, need peace in the workplace to keep those sales and profits coming in.

EDIT: This article is from the NY Daily News, but I just noticed that the butt implant photo is thumbnailed in the sidebar, so I've removed the link just in case. The article is titled "One-day strike by fast-food workers at McDonald's, Burger King and other restaurants is just the beginning" for those wanting to check the source.

WJD

What is the average living wage in the US anyway? Talking the bare minimum here needed for rent, food and bills.

Paying a McDonald's cashier $15 an hour would be insane.
Then the job should basically not exist outside of someone who is like still in highschool, is no more than 5-10 minutes from home, and no other expenditures. Even $10 an hour is not a living wage. By working there, you are digging yourself into a hole.

this_guy

I worked at Domino's Pizza for minimum wage when I was 16. For people saying minimum wage should be enough to support a family, at that age should I have been paid more, at the point that I can support a family? I worked for extra spending money, and I figured I'll need money once I start college. I didn't have a family to support, but I did have the motivation to make in the future than working a fast food job.

Takuya

Banned
Meh, if their wages go up, the cost of living will go up with it, it's all proportional, so it won't make a difference in the end.

I'm of the opinion that if you can't support yourself and one other person on minimum wage, then either stuff is too expensive, or minimum wage is too low.

Takuya

Banned
Sorry, I don't have enough economic knowledge to explain it, but that's not how it works.

That's not exactly how it works, but the prices and cost of living will adjust itself accordingly. There is a reason why they are making such low wages.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I hope it works out for them.

It's a part time job. It's supposed to have bad hours for bad pay in order for you to motivate yourself to get a better job.

Raising the minimum wage would just reduce the demand for unskilled labor and help accelerate skill-biased technological change, which would adversely affect the poor.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So what is reasonable then? 8 dollars p/h for those over 25? Or are they asking for not unreasonable but unrealistic wages.. Because although it's shit they can't better jobs it would be insane to put them on 10-15 because regardless of their situation.. They aren't doing particularly hard work.. It may not be a pinic but it ain't difficult either

Thanks for the stupidest thing I have read today. I guess the CEO of McDonalds should be paid less too, because he just sells cheeseburgers.

How is it stupid?

A costco and home depot pull in much more revenue per store than what McDonalds does.

They can afford to pay more.

Those employees better be careful.
If they demand too much they will be replaced with robots.
That would be a lot of lost jobs.

Robots won't spit in my burger.

crpav

Here is how I see the problem and my opinion on the matter. Fast food and lower paying retail jobs used to be and should be fore high school aged "kids", college students or people that either don't care to further their education or can't. The always increasing cost of living makes it harder and harder to have these jobs and live on your own and impossible to properly support a family. That is why these jobs are not meant for those who want to be married, raise a family with children, and have money to save and/or use for themselves.

So what do people want as a fix? Raise the wages. Well then explain to me how you can raise the wages and keep costs and prices down? You can't. You raise the wages, prices go up, costs go up, people pay more, cost of living goes up and the cycle repeats. Supply and demand is not the only factor in this problem and I see it as a problem of greed and the downward spiral of the economy and society as a whole.

Future

If places like McDonald's can't pay minimum wage then who can? Seems like this is more of an issue with minimum wage in general.

You can survive on minimum wage. But you need a minimum lifestyle. Can't be trying to support a family. If McDonald's is the only job they can get at the moment, then I feel for them. But the issue is not McDonald's, but the fact they cannot get a higher paying job and the reasons for that.

Zhengi

But after years of the richest 1% walking off with so much of our nation’s wealth, places like McDonald’s and Walmart have become the last resort for too many middle-aged and elderly workers.

Isn't this only an assumption made in the article? What about other factors such as declining graduation rates?

While I do agree that there should be living wages, I also feel like if a person is stuck in a minimum wage job like at McDonalds, that person has to do something else to improve themselves so that they aren't stuck there. Whether that is through education or learning a new skill, no one is better suited to help that person. The opportunities and the resources to help them improve are there.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Then the job should basically not exist outside of someone who is like still in highschool, is no more than 5-10 minutes from home, and no other expenditures. Even $10 an hour is not a living wage. By working there, you are digging yourself into a hole.
I don't know what it's like over there but most people could live on £6.19 over here, bare neccesties and not a lot of free time but you could none the less

Even if you raised the pay rate, they still can only pay so much and set fairly set profit margins in fast food. It's really what they can afford to pay someone in a month, so they will just take hours off. When they raised the basse pay rate for servers, the same thing happened; they all got less hours and less time to make tips and came out with less money.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Isn't this only an assumption made in the article? What about other factors such as declining graduation rates?

While I do agree that there should be living wages, I also feel like if a person is stuck in a minimum wage job like at McDonalds, that person has to do something else to improve themselves so that they aren't stuck there. Whether that is through education or learning a new skill, no one is better suited to help that person. The opportunities and the resources to help them improve are there.

The problem with your thinking is that it does not work on a macro level. We need someone to work at McDonalds, robots aren't good enough to do the jobs yet and even then who would really trust a robot to make them their food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom