• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Slaythe

How is Hisoka the underdog ?

1) plot armor

2) fan favorite

3) was given two chances to back out and decided to still fight

4) is over confident despite knowing all about Chrollo

Chrollo is the underdog. Hope he wins.

vareon

1) plot armor

2) fan favorite

In terms of what actually happened in manga (no meta stuff), Chrollo has a ton of abilities Hisoka knows nothing about and he can probably asspull his way out of the situation. Hisoka is the challenger here.

Edit: WHOA I don't realize I still use my Chrollo avatar. Everything I said in this thread sounds weird now.

vypek

I still have to read the new chapters, but did Chrollo recover his powers? Did they explain how?

Yes, he recovered and he is fighting in a match right now in Heaven's Arena. They didn't show it happen but they spoke of how he could possibly get it back a long time ago. To get his powers back he would need a nen eraser (the one from Greed Island).

1) plot armor
2) fan favorite

From a story perspective, Hisoka is going up against someone who is seemingly well prepared and overpowered in what his abilities are to the point that Hisoka is kind of concerned. Even if it wasn't a true fight to the death, Chrollo also still went toe to toe with Zoldycks for a while as well. Points 1 and 2 would be what might keep Hisoka from dying but that doesn't mean he wouldn't still be an underdog. Hisoka looks to be fighting an uphill battle which is all that matters to being an underdog here.

I actually still maintain my position that either neither of them die or Chrollo dies though.

Syntsui

Yes, he recovered and he is fighting in a match right now in Heaven's Arena. They didn't show it happen but they spoke of how he could possibly get it back a long time ago. To get his powers back he would need a nen eraser (the one from Greed Island).

Now that's hype. I will get updated on it this week.

Slaythe

You can't say Hisoka is an underdog when Chrollo offered him two chances of backing out.

Hisoka's over cockyness + everything we have seen from his fights mean he is the "unbeatable" one.

Chrollo is the one that had to work hard to find a way to beat Hisoka. Hisoka didn't do shit.

He's literally just there, "come at me bruh" with his shitty gum texture, was ready from day 1, while Chrollo had to work out a specific strategy.

On top of that, the fan favorite aspect just doesn't help really.

But even without it, Hisoka knows all about Chrollo and is still extremely confident and refused to back out. He could have backed out and "prepared" too, and then come back. He didn't. Which means he still think he is above Chrollo despite Chrollo trying hard to come up with a plan.

That's not what an underdog does AT ALL.

As for Chrollo, I highly doubt he can currently use any other ability than the ones he explained, because it is pretty clear the bookmark's new conditions are tied to those explanations. So basically if he wants to keep switching within those abilities he has to rely on those 3, otherwise he is at a risk of losing one of his "crucial" ability for his plan.

I'm hoping Togashi sticks to his "surprising" twists and doesn't let Chrollo die.

Jigolo

1) plot armor

2) fan favorite

Easy. Hisoka could just be a more skilled fighter.

Radec

You can't say Hisoka is an underdog when Chrollo offered him two chances of backing out.

Hisoka's over cockyness + everything we have seen from his fights mean he is the "unbeatable" one.

Chrollo is the one that had to work hard to find a way to beat Hisoka. Hisoka didn't do shit.

He's literally just there, "come at me bruh" with his shitty gum texture, was ready from day 1, while Chrollo had to work out a specific strategy.

But even without it, Hisoka knows all about Chrollo and is still extremely confident and refused to back out. He could have backed out and "prepared" too, and then come back. He didn't. Which means he still think he is above Chrollo despite Chrollo trying hard to come up with a plan.

As for Chrollo, I highly doubt he can currently use any other ability than the ones he explained, because it is pretty clear the bookmark's new conditions are tied to those explanations. So basically if he wants to keep switching within those abilities he has to rely on those 3, otherwise he is at a risk of losing one of his "crucial" ability for his plan.

I'm hoping Togashi sticks to his "surprising" twists and doesn't let Chrollo die.

He havent shown his cards yet. This probably gonna be a long fight if one of them will surely die.

vareon

In this particular fight, Chrollo has done crazy preparations to make sure he had advantage. Hisoka challenges the Chrollo who had done this. Therefore in this battle, Hisoka is the underdog.

Chrollo is the Batman in this situation to Hisoka's Superman. If caught without sufficient prep time, Hisoka would wipe the floor.

The great thing about this is HxH is almost always about ability vs ability instead of power levels. We don't actually know who should win this fight based on what they have.

vypek

Having a chance to back out and not doing so doesn't stop him from being an underdog. The fact that Chrollo prepared so he could have a 100% win rate would by itself make Hisoka the underdog since he is unprepared for the fight. He has the disadvantage. Chrollo offering a way out could be seen more like a "I'm way too strong for you, why don't you give up instead." The presentation so far has Hisoka as the long shot to win

Think of it like a lot of shounen protagonists, they will keep trying to fight and beat a seemingly overpowered opponent even with a disadvantage.

balgajo

I think that the "sacrifice" for using the bookmark is telling about the abilities to your opponent.
If not he is really sure that he will win. Thoungn I don't think that knows about Hisoka gum texture. It can play an important role on this battle again.

ElFly

The best part of the Hisoka / Chrollo fight is that they agree to fight to the death.

Then immediately they both kill the referee.

I quote myself.

They decide to fight to the death.

Then they talk for like an hour and THEN proceed to kill the public.

Hyun Sai

If not he is really sure that he will win. Thoungn I don't think that knows about Hisoka gum texture. It can play an important role on this battle again.
I think Machi knows a little of the gum texture (but not the full extent), so she definitely told Chrollo.

Daingurse

Chrollo is fucking overpowered lol

And yet . . . I think if anyone is dying, it's him. Chrollo is absolutely overwhelming, but it still feels like Hisoka is gonna pull off something spectacular. Man, I really hope someone interrupts this fight lol. I still don't think I can handle losing either of these dudes lol.

Radec

Chrollo: *blabber*

Hisoka: "And you've got it all worked out now, is that right? Mmmh... You know what gets me off more than anything in this world? It's the moment people like you whimper "how can this be..." as I gaze down upon them, right after I shatter their knees."

I got off from that quote from Hisoka.

hisoka got dis

100%

it's always the one that looks like as if they havent got a snow ball's chance in hell to win that will win

i love them both though~ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~

And yet . . . I think if anyone is dying, it's him. Chrollo is absolutely overwhelming, but it still feels like Hisoka is gonna pull off something spectacular. Man, I really hope someone interrupts this fight lol. I still don't think I can handle losing either of these dudes lol.

saaaaaammeeeeeee

Rutger

Banned
I gotta say that I'm hoping Chrollo wins.

Well, I don't want either to die right now. The thing is, Hisoka is always going on about how he loves to see the look of defeat on the face of someone who thinks they are invincible, but he's been the best example of invincible in the series so far. Just look at all the response in this thread, no one expects him to lose.

I want to see Hisoka's reaction to a major loss.

vareon

Well, I don't want either to die right now. The thing is, Hisoka is always going on about how he loves to see the look of defeat on the face of someone who thinks they are invincible, but he's been the best example of invincible in the series so far. Just look at all the response in this thread, no one expects him to lose.

Nobody wants anyone to die, tbh. Both are pretty unique characters only found on HxH. Hisoka is related to the main character's development and Chrollo is a fan favorite who just appeared out of wazoo after all these years. To kill one of them in the middle of a (seemingly) unrelated arc would suck hard.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

I think Hisoka is primed to lose. Also his reaction would be him just falling to ground dead. With brief exception of the joke-y Knuckle death scene, everyone who dies in Hunter x Hunter just does so. That's what I like about it.

I think this is an interim arc. After the fight's over (please don't cut to the other storyline anytime soon), it'll move over to everyone already being on the boat or just boarding the boat, ready for shit to go down. Seems kind of cool actually. Also, I feel like the spider arcs always just happen, like during the Chimera Ant arc.

Rutger

Banned
I think Hisoka is primed to lose. Also his reaction would be him just falling to ground dead. With brief exception of the joke-y Knuckle death scene, everyone who dies in Hunter x Hunter just does so. That's what I like about it.

I think this is an interim arc. After the fight's over (please don't cut to the other storyline anytime soon), it'll move over to everyone already being on the boat or just boarding the boat, ready for shit to go down. Seems kind of cool actually. Also, I feel like the spider arcs always just happen, like during the Chimera Ant arc.

Well yeah, if he was to die it would likely be quick like with many other characters in the series.

But I don't want either of them dead. I think Hisoka suffering a defeat yet living would crush him. I want a good fight, but I also want it to mean something, if Chrollo dies it would certainly impact the rest of the spiders but I think Hisoka losing would be more interesting given his role in the story.

Slaythe

Nobody wants anyone to die, tbh. Both are pretty unique characters only found on HxH. Hisoka is related to the main character's development and Chrollo is a fan favorite who just appeared out of wazoo after all these years. To kill one of them in the middle of a (seemingly) unrelated arc would suck hard.

On the other hand, Chrollo is the only chance at relevancy for Kurapika.

While Gon has many other things to do besides "fighting Hisoka".

woopWOOP

Probably, unless Togashi pulls a Toriyama and just forgets he existed :p

I don't think he'll be joining the boatride to the DC tho
(or maybe he wants to create a new NGL kingdom in the DC like the ant soldier he is, i dunno)

Hyun Sai

The Troupe aren't even that relevant to Kurapika anymore now that he knows they were middlemen.

This. I think Kurapika could care less about the brigade right now, so Chrollo's fate is no longer important in the grand scheme of things. Even without knowing they were just middlemen, after York Shin he was just collecting the eyes instead of going after them.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yeah, but not anytime soon I think. I want to know what the alligator chimera ant is up to. His declaration to be king of the sea felt ominous to me.

Maybe he shows up to menace the boat during it's crossing and jobs to one of the new/long returning characters to show what a threat they are/how much they've improved.

sohois

I couldn't help but wonder this during the original Heavens Arena arc and I'm reminded again of it now.

Just who the hell is the audience for that shit? Down the lower levels you've got a ton of completely mismatched, boring fights that are literally just dudes pushing people and instawinning. Can you imagine people paying for boxing matches that were constantly decided by a single punch?

Then at the top levels, the vast majority of the crowd must have no idea what's going on, right? Since it's always implied that the general public have no idea about Nen, so it's just fighters using inexplicable magic powers, which they can't see fully without being able to use Nen themselves. And then most fights are constantly interrupted by the fighters stopping to have long, drawn out conversations about random shit. To use the boxing analogy again, imagine if Tyson Fury stopped a fight for ten minutes to discuss how he's insane? And finally, there is the constant threat of just being brutally murdered during the contest.

How is there enough of a market to support not just nen fights, but a whole 250 story superstructure dedicated to mind numbing blood sport?

Syntsui

I couldn't help but wonder this during the original Heavens Arena arc and I'm reminded again of it now.

Just who the hell is the audience for that shit? Down the lower levels you've got a ton of completely mismatched, boring fights that are literally just dudes pushing people and instawinning. Can you imagine people paying for boxing matches that were constantly decided by a single punch?

Then at the top levels, the vast majority of the crowd must have no idea what's going on, right? Since it's always implied that the general public have no idea about Nen, so it's just fighters using inexplicable magic powers, which they can't see fully without being able to use Nen themselves. And then most fights are constantly interrupted by the fighters stopping to have long, drawn out conversations about random shit. To use the boxing analogy again, imagine if Tyson Fury stopped a fight for ten minutes to discuss how he's insane? And finally, there is the constant threat of just being brutally murdered during the contest.

How is there enough of a market to support not just nen fights, but a whole 250 story superstructure dedicated to mind numbing blood sport?
Welcome to every tournament in a shonen manga ever.

vypek

Lol. Very true. I guess the audience is people who would like magic. Its a spectacle they can't understand and it makes it interesting. Cross that with thrill seekers and you get the people on the upper floors who have a chance to be killed.

Hyun Sai

Well, you must remember that there is a referee commentator of the matches, explaining shit and else, even if he is rather quiet in this one.

I must add this is the first time we have a rather long dialog between competitors, and even if it takes 10 minutes to read, it sure doesn't last more than 2 minutes in match.

Dont forget there is also always a public out for blood even IRL, and accidents can also happen even if they know the risk.

-------------------------------------
The only "small" problem is who will accept to be the referee for the next Chrollo match lol. They will definitely do it outside the ring far far away...

I imagine most of the lower floor fights are more evenly matched. Wasn't it a big deal that Killua and Gon were 1-shotting their opponents? (In addition to winning at such a young age, I mean)

Also, even if the public is largely unaware of Nen, stuff like magical beasts are a known quantity, so I can see a crowd for supernatural fights.

Been rewatching the series and I have to wonder... how powerful will the main four be by the end of the series, assuming they all survive of course.

By "power" it doesn't have to be in relation to fighting, it could be in their general area. For example, for Leorio will he become skilled enough to heal Election Gon without Deus Ex machina device?

Gon we already have a rough idea about.

What about Kurapika and Killua?

vypek

Been rewatching the series and I have to wonder... how powerful will the main four be by the end of the series, assuming they all survive of course.

By "power" it doesn't have to be in relation to fighting, it could be in their general area. For example, for Leorio will he become skilled enough to heal Election Gon without Deus Ex machina device?

Gon we already have a rough idea about.

What about Kurapika and Killua?

Curious about this too. Isn't Killua kind of recognized as talented and full of potential even within his family? Maybe I am remembering incorrectly but it seems like he has always been pretty strong for his age and has a good growth rate as well.

have we seen Leorio heal at all? Using nen or otherwise? Seems like he is barely past being just an average guy at times but I really like his character.

Curious about this too. Isn't Killua kind of recognized as talented and full of potential even within his family? Maybe I am remembering incorrectly but it seems like he has always been pretty strong for his age and has a good growth rate as well.

have we seen Leorio heal at all? Using nen or otherwise? Seems like he is barely past being just an average guy at times but I really like his character.

During the Hunter's Test he healed one of those shape shifting monsters and it said it was better care than a doctor would give...so that's something.

vypek

During the Hunter's Test he healed one of those shape shifting monsters and it said it was better care than a doctor would give...so that's something.

Ah, right. I forgot about that. He was already pretty competent with medicine at the start of the series.

Yes, Killua has the most potential in the history of his family. This includes Maha [Zeno's Grampa] - it's been stated that the only person to ever survive against Maha in battle is Netero and keep in mind this is likely a Prime Netero. The statement from Zeno can be interpreted that Maha was at least on par with Netero.

His current level is unknown as his best feats are against the Royal Guards. The problem is that while he was unable to significantly damage them, would that be the same for non-Royal guards? We just don't know how well Godspeed Kilua would fare in a fight against non-ant opponents because the guards have OP durability.

I like him too.

Hopefully in the current arc he can really step up and show what he's learned in the medical field. Perhaps there's a scenario where some major characters are severely injured and the only one around to help them is him.

Kieli

I'd like to see Kurapika gimped in some way against normal strong nen hunters.

Please, Togashi, there has to be at least SOME consequences to be able to fight Spiders so early.

Ah, right. I forgot about that. He was already pretty competent with medicine at the start of the series.

Yeah, he was also the strongest of himself Gon and Kurapica when they visited Killia's house. I don't think he is supposed to be an exceptional fighter at all, just a lovable lunk with some skillz

I'd like to see Kurapika gimped in some way against normal strong nen hunters.

Please, Togashi, there has to be at least SOME consequences to be able to fight Spiders so early.

I wonder this too.

The only known ability that's restricted to the Troupe = Chain Jail.

We know for sure that he has at least one more ability that we haven't seen [his pinky finger I think] however before this current arc it was so long since we saw him so he probably has newer stuff. He's developed his Emperor Time, maybe he's developed all new ability's too? These new abilities [assuming there's more than one] probably aren't restricted to the troupe as capturing/killing them isn't even his goal right now.

It's hard to peg where Kurapika stands in overall power/Nen ability right now. During Yorknew he far exceeded Gon/Killua. He had already learned Hatsu and several advanced Nen techniques such as In.

I think the gap between Kurapika and Gon/Killua in Nen mastery right now is similar to the gap in Yorknew.

Regardless, I would like to see him fight against someone that's strong and not a Troupe member.

ampere

Just caught up on the 3 recent chapters, I am definitely excited to see Chrolo and Hisoka fighting. I wonder how he got his Nen erased

Lulubop

This. I think Kurapika could care less about the brigade right now, so Chrollo's fate is no longer important in the grand scheme of things. Even without knowing they were just middlemen, after York Shin he was just collecting the eyes instead of going after them.

The Spiders have free reign to go after Kurapika now, and they will go after him. they're still relevant.

With how prepared Lucifer is right now, him losing would be some jobbing bullshit.

Top Bottom