• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

I'm a little disappointed this fight didn't end up as a literal death match, but the set up from it is so good that it doesn't really matter.

At this point, does anyone actually care about the Dark Continent itself? This boat ride is going to be a total bloodbath and I don't see how the Dark Continent can top it in terms of potential story. Hisoka is going to be going after the Troupe, the Troupe is going after Kakin's treasure, Kurapika and his crew are going after the Fourth Prince, the Princes are going to all be going after each other, and the Zodiacs and Beyond's faction are going to be on board as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrollo hires some of the Zoldyck family knowing that Hisoka is coming; it's not like he hasn't done it before. But there are going to be so many conflicting interests on this boat ride and I just can't wait for it to get started because I expect it to be the most fascinating arc yet.

I would even say that the Dark Continent itself is just a red herring and that the Black Whale is really the main focus of the arc, but considering Ging is searching for Don Freecs I would have to assume some significant portion of the arc would have to take place there. Oh well, I'm just hoping for Pariston to somehow weasel his way through all of this!

Moaradin

You kidding me? Dark Continent sounds fucking awesome. My biggest worry early on was that the trip getting there was going to be boring, but no way that's happening with the prince shit going on and now this.

I have a feeling that Dark Continent is endgame for this manga though. With all the developments lately and all the stuff going on during the boat ride, we probably won't get to Dark Continent proper for a very long time.

Kyuur

Are you sure ? He was talking about the phone, and I think it's a physical object like the antennas. It would make sense that Chrollo tore up their pages (or else he would have sensed Kortopi death), but has to give him the phone in person.

And Sharnalk is too smart to jump on Hisoka knowing he doesn't have nen. He would have fled.

Good point, he could have his ability back but not the required object. Correct me if I'm wrong though, Chrollo's ability only strips them of that particular Hatsu, not Nen as a whole.

I think throwing Kortopi's head was part of Hisoka's strategy to keep him from running (in addition to distracting from what I can only assume is Machi's phone call). So instead of messing up because he didn't get his ability back, he messed up due to his compassion for his team member. :(

I'll say this, making this fight a literal death match would've felt hollow to me as it'd be a MAJOR villain death cut from any real narrative context.

It'd literally just be "hey these guys fight & now one dies".

I'd much rather either Hisoka or Chrollo die within the actual story or a proper arc than this way.

Fandangox

LOL at the people screaming "asspull" in HxH. Did you guys forget:

- Hisoka fixing his severed arm after his Kastro fight
- Gon restoring his lost arm after Bomber blowing it up only with a magic nen card
- Meruem ressurection after a direct hit from an atomic bomb
- ...and the ressurection actually made him LOL demigod
- ...only to die afterwards from poisoning
- Gon "ressurection" with Nanika

HxH never was immune of the senzu curse.

Hisoka fixing his severe arm from the Kastro fight is a reason why this seems like more of an asspul for some people, part of the discussion was that everyone knew they weren't really going to kill him off, but would be interesting to see how he deals with the missing leg and fingers, since they were completely blown up, they were previously "whole" and that's why they were able to be re-attached.

Green Arc already established that the Nen cards could do stuff with a video-game theme, a "healing spell" card just like any other video game is not that far fetched.

The king was already stated to be really strong, while its dumb that a nuke wouldn't blow him off, him dying by the poision was slowly build up by showing it happening to his other 2 royal guards first.

An entire arc is spend trying to heal Gon, and they spend a GREAT deal of time explaining how Nanika's wishing ability works and the consequences attached, the only asspull in that one is that SURPRISE, healing is consequence-free, which yes, I have complained about.

I don't understand, is your point that because this was seemingly done before is it okay for it to be done now? At the least the other ones (except Machi attaching Hisoka's arms) made narrative sense due to they didn't completely come out of nowhere like Hisoka just being able to kickstar his organs after death.

I'll say this, making this fight a literal death match would've felt hollow to me as it'd be a MAJOR villain death cut from any real narrative context.

It'd literally just be "hey these guys fight & now one dies".

I'd much rather either Hisoka or Chrollo die within the actual story or a proper arc than this way.

Exactly the actual fight was very cool, and Chrollo completely stomped Hisoka, but despite already being established that he wanted to fight him, and that Chrollo got his powers back, it just didn't feel very organic, would have been better if there was another reason to have Hisoka following the Spiders to the Dark Continent and have the fight happen more naturally there.

would the zoldycks even try to get revenge on hisoka if he killed kalluto? illumi only seems obsessed with killua so i don't think he would care all that much. the zoldycks always avoid unnecessary fights and going after someone who is powerful enough to kill one of them without some kind of financial reward seems out of character. killua might be the one that tries to get revenge on hisoka and that might be the reason he follows him to the dark continent. illumi then goes after killua to try and get him back.

They might.

Besides Illumi who's a wildcard, they do actually care about eachover, its just "Zoldyck Love" - they grew up under messed up conditions but for them its normal. For example, torturing one of their own is pretty much normal... that's pretty much their version of a normal child being grounded.

I think if Hisoka kills Kalluto and the Zoldycks learn word of it? Hisoka is done. He's good but he ain't that good.

Exactly the actual fight was very cool, and Chrollo completely stomped Hisoka, but despite already being established that he wanted to fight him, and that Chrollo got his powers back, it just didn't feel very organic, would have been better if there was another reason to have Hisoka following the Spiders to the Dark Continent and have the fight happen more naturally there.

It kinda felt like a fanservice-y filler story as an apology for the hiatus tbh.

Not too many consequences, cut off from the main narrative. But it does honestly show Hisoka is no match for a well-prepared Chrollo.

I really enjoyed the fight itself though so I'm 100% fine with it being sorta filler-y. Better than a hiatus.

Fandangox

It kinda felt like a fanservice-y filler story as an apology for the hiatus tbh.

Not too many consequences, cut off from the main narrative. But it does honestly show Hisoka is no match for a well-prepared Chrollo.

I really enjoyed the fight itself though so I'm 100% fine with it being sorta filler-y. Better than a hiatus.

Agree, although the consequences are now that Hisoka is gonna hunt the spiders, which right now ended up having Kortopi and Shalnark dead.

FleenerW

He got exactly what he asked for, and didn't like the outcome, so now he's all mad and throws a tantrum and seeks revenge.

What happened to strong opponents on their knees ? His plan is now to render Chrollo powerless.

Which is pathetic because he just spent an awful amount of time GIVING HIM HIS POWERS BACK.

What I'm not convinced of is Hisoka's motivation for hunting the spiders. I mean, he asked Chrollo for the fight and now he looks so vengeful, there is something off with him
I don't think Hisoka's motives are "I'm mad I lost, so I'll kill the other members!" and I don't think it's entirely for revenge.

Chrollo said it would be a fight to the death and I know Hisoka got destroyed, but since Hisoka still isn't dead yet I believe he views the battle as ongoing and wants to finish what he started with a different mindset.

After his hand was blown off he mentioned he can't afford to analyze or play anymore, and now he basically tells Machi he's had an epiphany. He's gone from being a little less reckless to a more tactical approach and knows to have a chance of winning he'll have to weaken Chrollo's moveset and tools. Like Machi said - he's learned a lesson, but not the one she thought.

Slaythe

But he told Machi about the whole plan and wanted the spiders to know.

He also intends to kill Kalluto.

He knows Chrollo still has the ghost writer ability.

Basically he acts like he learned to be smart but he is a complete moron and overconfident as usual.

Of course, everything will work out for him and he'll kill all of them because plot armor, but that's still a lot of holes in his so called strategy. (without even counting on the troupe members being powerful enough to beat him)

That being said, when Chrollo and Hisoka were active in a same arc, the popularity polls had them tied. Chrollo had less screen time than Hisoka so he dropped, but still.

Kyuur

One thing is for certain; the editors weren't wrong that this would be a big moment in HxH. This has invoked the most discourse we've seen in a long time outside of tired theoretical matchups and DC speculation!

I'm curious how the spider's mission ties in with the 4th Prince of Kakin as well, since it was heavily implied he was involved with them (makes sense, since he was a major client for the Kurta eyes).

It's not like this helped Pakunoda.

Agree, although the consequences are now that Hisoka is gonna hunt the spiders, which right now ended up having Kortopi and Shalnark dead.

Yep, those are basically post-battle consequences though.

And he could've just as easily started killing them in an attempt to get Chrollo to fight him. I don't quite see the battle as entirely essential to kickstart that particular plot point.

FleenerW

But he told Machi about the whole plan and wanted the spiders to know.

He also intends to kill Kalluto.

Basically he acts like he learned to be smart but he is a complete moron and overconfident as usual.

Of course, everything will work out for him and he'll kill all of them because plot armor, but that's still a lot of holes in his so called strategy. (without even counting on the troupe members being powerful enough to beat him)

That being said, when Chrollo and Hisoka were active in a same arc, the popularity polls had them tied. Chrollo had less screen time than Hisoka so he dropped, but still.
Well, Hisoka did tell Machi that his opponents will no longer be able to decide who or where they will fight. It's possible he may set up Kurapika to kill a few spiders for him, who knows what he has planned or how reckless he will be at this point. Definitely too early to call him a complete moron.

I love Chrollo and the spiders by the way, but I also like Hisoka and just wanted to add my two cents here.

cLOUDo

It is not as if he grew a foot of nowhere, he is still without a foot and fingers

I imagine that if he stop using nen or his nen is removed, he will lose that foot again

Fandangox

Yep, those are basically post-battle consequences though.

And he could've just as easily started killing them in an attempt to get Chrollo to fight him. I don't quite see the battle as entirely essential to kickstart that particular plot point.

Yeah, for example we've seen Hisoka ponder about deciding who to off randomly so he can have people against him, except that exactly wouldn't work the way he intends against Chrollo because he already just fought him. I think the explanation given by someone else where he still consider the death mach "ongoing" is the one that makes the most sense to me at the moment.

MCD

I loved the nen becomes stronger after death. Hisoka (and Togashi) planned this shit all along.

Goddamn this manga. Gon died once so he too might get a boost, right?

I love this manga. Togashi is at his peak, gentlemen.

Slaythe

Chrollo has superhuman abilities, on top of "magical" powers.

I don't think they could do anything.

Chrollo is by design a broken character.

I loved the nen becomes stronger after death. Hisoka (and Togashi) planned this shit all along.

Goddamn this manga. Gon died once so he too might get a boost, right?

I love this manga. Togashi is at his peak, gentlemen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was Machi assuming nen got stronger.

She was wrong though, after Hisoka revealed he simply commanded his nen to revive himself. (she initially thought aura manifested itself despite him being dead spontaneously)

MCD

She was wrong though, after Hisoka revealed he simply commanded his nen to revive himself. (she initially thought aura manifested itself despite him being dead spontaneously)

Hmm...you might be right. I thought that Hisoka planned to die after he heard Chrollo telling him that nen gets stronger after death.

SalvaPot

I think its pretty obvious that Hisoka is targetting Troupe members so Chrollo wouldn't rely on their abilities and that was the next time they fight its a pure 1 on 1 battle.

Also, I love well explained bullshit so I give this chapter an A+.

Erigu

She was wrong though, after Hisoka revealed he simply commanded his nen to revive himself.
Thing is, he did die, so she was right. Or his nen would have died with him, and couldn't have revived him like it did.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Holy shit wtf did I just read. Omg. What an awesome chapter. I've read everyone's opinions and understand where there complaints are coming from but, I fucking loved this chapter. ❤️

I hope Togashi makes it to where Chrollo uses the fortune telling ability and it straight up says that he's fucked no matter how much he changes things, Hisoka has him beat. Which mentally breaks him, making him decide to at least take Hisoka with him to hell.

Also the DC is gonna be crazy, the survivors of the boat ride are gonna be tattered up and tired only to suffer even more with all the fucked up shit that's in DC.

I'm sure Kalluto is safe though, it's probably part of a mission to join the Spiders and he'll leave when told.

Shinriji

I don't understand, is your point that because this was seemingly done before is it okay for it to be done now? At the least the other ones (except Machi attaching Hisoka's arms) made narrative sense due to they didn't completely come out of nowhere like Hisoka just being able to kickstar his organs after death..

I'm just saying that no one should be outraged by the "asspull", since nothing seems to be off-limits in the HxH world. Resurrection is possible, miracles are possible, restoring missing limbs is possible, even future-reading is possible. Heck, there is some theories saying that even time-travel is possible on HxH world.

Fandangox

I'm just saying that no one should be outraged by the "asspull", since nothing seems to be off-limits in the HxH world. Resurrection is possible, miracles are possible, restoring missing limbs is possible, even future-reading is possible. Heck, there is some theories saying that even time-travel is possible on HxH world.

The point is how they are executed and how they make sense in the context of the world. That's why no one really brings up Kite being alive since its explained early on the Ant's Arc that some of the ants could retain their human memories.

If Time travel turns out to be a thing, but its explained well and makes sense, sure, why not.

smurfx

get some go again
They might.

Besides Illumi who's a wildcard, they do actually care about eachover, its just "Zoldyck Love" - they grew up under messed up conditions but for them its normal. For example, torturing one of their own is pretty much normal... that's pretty much their version of a normal child being grounded.

I think if Hisoka kills Kalluto and the Zoldycks learn word of it? Hisoka is done. He's good but he ain't that good.
the zoldycks strike me as the types that look down at failure. if you get killed then that was your own fault and then go on with their lives. what is kalluto even doing with the troupe? did he run away? or is it some mission? the only deaths the zoldycks might mourn are silvas because he is the current leader and killua because they want him to take over someday for silva. btw there is a possibility that some of the spiders end up getting taken out by the princes and their bodyguards. remember that the princes have those nen creatures protecting them and the spiders can be caught off guard.

I'm a little disappointed this fight didn't end up as a literal death match, but the set up from it is so good that it doesn't really matter.

At this point, does anyone actually care about the Dark Continent itself? This boat ride is going to be a total bloodbath and I don't see how the Dark Continent can top it in terms of potential story. Hisoka is going to be going after the Troupe, the Troupe is going after Kakin's treasure, Kurapika and his crew are going after the Fourth Prince, the Princes are going to all be going after each other, and the Zodiacs and Beyond's faction are going to be on board as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Chrollo hires some of the Zoldyck family knowing that Hisoka is coming; it's not like he hasn't done it before. But there are going to be so many conflicting interests on this boat ride and I just can't wait for it to get started because I expect it to be the most fascinating arc yet.

I would even say that the Dark Continent itself is just a red herring and that the Black Whale is really the main focus of the arc, but considering Ging is searching for Don Freecs I would have to assume some significant portion of the arc would have to take place there. Oh well, I'm just hoping for Pariston to somehow weasel his way through all of this!
The Dark Continent is rife with possible encounters. It should be fantastic.

I knew somehow Hisoka would not die, but I'm still glad Chrollo won in the end. And if Hisoka wants a rematch then so be it. We'll see Batman destroy him a second time.

Damn, I forgot about Kaluto.

If Hisoka touches him, all kind of shit stars and the Zoldyks have a reason to go to the Dark continent.

zero_suit

The Dark Continent is rife with possible encounters. It should be fantastic.

I knew somehow Hisoka would not die, but I'm still glad Chrollo won in the end. And if Hisoka wants a rematch then so be it. We'll see Batman destroy him a second time.

Knowing Togashi, something from the Dark Continent will off Hisoka and the rematch will never occur.

Really? Physically, Pitou beyond Hisoka, as does Yupi...I think Chrollo would have a hard time against his physical prowess. I do feel it is interesting how Hisoka was left out of the Chimera arc, when that is where he really could have encountered some insane power houses. I wonder how he would have reacted to the King...Someone who could absolutely crush him...

smurfx

get some go again
Knowing Togashi, something from the Dark Continent will off Hisoka and the rematch will never occur.
if hisoka dies then i want him to face off against the most monstrous thing in the dark continent. if he goes then let him at least go out in style. perhaps this is why togashi didn't have hisoka fight the chimera ants. he has something far worst for him to fight in the dark continent. if you think about it the dark continent will basically be the hunter exam from hell. whoever comes back will be the true hunters.

the zoldycks strike me as the types that look down at failure. if you get killed then that was your own fault and then go on with their lives. what is kalluto even doing with the troupe? did he run away? or is it some mission? the only deaths the zoldycks might mourn are silvas because he is the current leader and killua because they want him to take over someday for silva. btw there is a possibility that some of the spiders end up getting taken out by the princes and their bodyguards. remember that the princes have those nen creatures protecting them and the spiders can be caught off guard.

I think the Zoldycks will give a shit just to have a reason to get the last faction of relevant characters in the DC. We have Zodiacs, the Spiders, Hisoka, Kurapica, Leorio, even Bisky, Hanzo, and Melody. If we add the Zoldycks who's left? Other than Gon himself, who we all know will end up there eventually.

balgajo

It was clear to me that Hisoka nen was much stronger after his "death". I mean, if he could use nen to substitute his limbs, why he didn't do it when fighting Chrollo?

Slaythe

It was clear to me that Hisoka nen was much stronger after his "death". I mean, if he could use nen to substitute his limbs, why he didn't do it when fighting Chrollo?

Apparently because he was being jumped at by hundreds of puppets and didn't have time to focus on doing that.

Remember he can't fly, the moment he realized he lost a foot and the moment he touched the ground took a maximum of 10 seconds.

yami4ct

With prep, could Chrollo kill a Royal Guard? He probably has some insane powers in his book we don't even know of yet.

If he had knowledge of the Guard's abilities, than maybe. With enough time, even if he didn't have a counter power ready, he could capture one to use.

It's also a question of when he fought the Guard. I get the impression that the bookmark power is sort of a new acquisition (I could be wrong and he might have just not shown it). During the CA invasion, he might not have had access to it. Without the bookmark, his powers are notably less potent. He still might pull it off, but it'd be a much riskier fight even with prep.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Weren't they able to tell which of them was gonna die based on how the prediction assigned "months" to the members, does anyone remember which ones were supposed to die? I remember Shalnark, but I don't think Kortopi was one of them, nor was Pakunoda on that prediction for the matter if I recall correctly.

The phone one with Shalnark though.
That was their theory. A theory that was clearly proven wrong in the Yorknew City Arc as not everyone died in the order they theorized. Plus they were going on the idea that 6 of them would die since "the spider would lose half its legs". But an actual spider has 8 legs and sure enough 4 members left the troupe by the end of the arc (Hisoka, Chrollo, Uvo and Paku).

Chrollo also made the faulty assumption that all the predictions related to the same event but now it seems that everyone's death predictions are separate from the "spider will lose half its legs" predictions. Though Chrollo was being fed a false prediction from Hisoka, which is what led to this theory in the first place.

ryan13ts

Man, not Sharlnak, he was one of my favorite members ;(

I have to agree, that was an asspull of the century but the whole rubber limbs is even worse if you as me. In a weird way, I'm glad he's alive because the series just wouldn't be the same without him creeping it up but the way it was done was kind of lame.

And yeah, Machi will totally be the one to kill him in the end, since Togashi is making a point to bring this up numerous times. It will probably be after he's defeated and helpless from someone else.

Mael

What fantasy is that that Kuroro could take a RG?
Without prep not even Netero could take 1 of them.
With proper planning there's absolutely nothing he could do against Pufu or Pitou (and the stamina of the monster that is Yupi puts him at a ridiculous disadvantage).
Pre rebirth King, a King bent on killing would off anyone but Adult Gon in seconds.
Post rebirth? I'd wager that if you don't have Alluka or something like the Rose you're dead meat and don't even have the time to understand why.
Seriously they're not something on a level the troupe can handle.

Top Bottom