• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Daingurse

It was clear to me that Hisoka nen was much stronger after his "death". I mean, if he could use nen to substitute his limbs, why he didn't do it when fighting Chrollo?

Yep this is definitely a case of Nen growing stronger after death. Hisoka has fantastic compatibility with his Hatsu, and I think that shit saved his life. His Elastic Love, genuinely loves his ass. I think he is going to be more much formidable in combat going forward. Didn't notice till it was brought up in this thread, but his Bungee leg did kind of turn into a spring which he used to launch himself at Sharnalk. Hisoka has become the Rubber Man.

What fantasy is that that Kuroro could take a RG?
Without prep not even Netero could take 1 of them.
With proper planning there's absolutely nothing he could do against Pufu or Pitou (and the stamina of the monster that is Yupi puts him at a ridiculous disadvantage).
Pre rebirth King, a King bent on killing would off anyone but Adult Gon in seconds.
Post rebirth? I'd wager that if you don't have Alluka or something like the Rose you're dead meat and don't even have the time to understand why.
Seriously they're not something on a level the troupe can handle.

Netero is more raw/brute power. He's an Enhancer. However, we all know that's not always the answer. Chrollo could have some amazing and weird/hax powers like [Knov's scream for example]

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Togashi seems to be going in a round about manner of introducing new characters to drive the journey to the DC as well as gathering all of the other characters to join them in this quest for some reason or another. I'm still curious if Gon and Killua will be sidelined or somehow also end up heading to the DC.

Daingurse

Chrollo's skill-set is so variable, that it wouldn't surprise me if he had something he could use against a RG level enemy. Especially with prep time, I think he could create a counter. Chrollo really showed just how overwhelming he is in a fight. Even Hisoka had to admit that Chrollo was simply too much for him with all the Spiders' abilities, in addition to his own. 100% chance of victory, man he was not bullshitting . . . But you got sloppy Chrollo ♥. Hisoka is coming for your homies.

Mael

Thinking about it, we're probably not going to get to the Dark Continent any time soon.
After all the boat isn't going there, it's going to an island close to the border in a place still outside the DC to serve as a new settlement.

Netero is more raw/brute power. He's an Enhancer. However, we all know that's not always the answer. Chrollo could have some amazing and weird/hax powers like [Knov's scream for example]

That still meant nothing against the pure brute strength of the RG.
Even with preparation and dedicated counters, the only fight the RG lost was Gon/Pitou.
We didn't even see Pufu actually fight to a meaningful extent of his power.
Unless Kuroro has something to put them in a Zetsu state or something equally disadvantageous on just raw aura they can stomp any opposition.
Heck Pufu has enough understanding of Nen that he actually gave Nen abilities to the underlings. Kuroro isn't going to outsmart this one in a fight.
The scariest foe is probably the Reborn King, good thing he died because that was beyond broken.

Chrollo's skill-set is so variable, that it wouldn't surprise me if he had something he could use against a RG level enemy. Especially with prep time, I think he could create a counter. Chrollo really showed just how overwhelming he is in a fight. Even Hisoka had to admit that Chrollo was simply too much for him with all the Spiders' abilities, in addition to his own. 100% chance of victory, man he was not bullshitting . . . But you got sloppy Chrollo ♥. Hisoka is coming for your homies.

Looking at how the fight went he would need something else to actually fight them.
Basing your fight on exploding bombs isn't going to work on a foe like Pitou or Pufu that went straight into a burning inferno to get the corpse of the King.
They can certainly tank the explosions.

Thinking about it, we're probably not going to get to the Dark Continent any time soon.
After all the boat isn't going there, it's going to an island close to the border in a place still outside the DC to serve as a new settlement.

That still meant nothing against the pure brute strength of the RG.
Even with preparation and dedicated counters, the only fight the RG lost was Gon/Pitou.
We didn't even see Pufu actually fight to a meaningful extent of his power.
Unless Kuroro has something to put them in a Zetsu state or something equally disadvantageous on just raw aura they can stomp any opposition.
Heck Pufu has enough understanding of Nen that he actually gave Nen abilities to the underlings. Kuroro isn't going to outsmart this one in a fight.
The scariest foe is probably the Reborn King, good thing he died because that was beyond broken.

Raw/Brute power isn't so good against Royal Guards because their durability is so amazing. You'd have to be someone like Adult Gon.

However, what I'm saying is that Chrollo could have some crazy hax'd abilities in his book.It doesn't matter how much raw power the ants have if Chrollo has a power that ignores durability [Like Knov's scream for example] - that's what I'm saying. Raw/Aura strength isn't everything.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't know, I always thought some Nen abilities are pretty broken if you were to abuse them in some manner. Like could Knov just trap someone forever in his interdimensional hotel and make it more a prison?

Daingurse

Looking at how the fight went he would need something else to actually fight them.
Basing your fight on exploding bombs isn't going to work on a foe like Pitou or Pufu that went straight into a burning inferno to get the corpse of the King.
They can certainly tank the explosions.

The abilities he used against Hisoka probably wouldn't be very effective. But those abilities were specifically tailored to defeat Hisoka using the greatest efficiency. I imagine he might be able to create a counter for the RG using his whole moveset. I mean he has Nen Fish that can eat people alive for Christ's sake haha. Chrollo came off as just ridiculously competent in this battle. Given enough time, I think he's capable of a lot.

Hyun Sai

There is nothing Chrollo could do against the Royal Guard, there is nothing any hunter could do anyway, Chrollo is not even on Hisoka pure physical and combat level, and if he had to wait that much and use so much conditions and people to be sure to kill him, thinking he got what it takes to overwhelm Pitou or Yupi, lol.

And yes, the battle we just saw was one sided, Hisoka did not prepare one bit, lesson learned.

Mael

Raw/Brute power isn't so good against Royal Guards because their durability is so amazing. You'd have to be someone like Adult Gon.

However, what I'm saying is that Chrollo could have some crazy hax'd abilities in his book.It doesn't matter how much raw power the ants have if Chrollo has a power that ignores durability [Like Knov's scream for example] - that's what I'm saying. Raw/Aura strength isn't everything.
Hotel Rafflesia from Shoot was a non standard way of dealing with a raw brute opponent, paired with Knuckle's Pot Clean (with Meleoron on top) was the perfect match up.
In the end they didn't manage anything because the difference was even bigger than anticipated.
I'm saying that if Kuroro had this kind of skills at his disposal he would have used it against hisoka to make the fight even more lopsided.
Yupi and Pufi can basically take the shape they want without expanding their aura, they could probably do that in a Zetsu state.
So something like Chain jail would be ineffective against them.
Something like Potclean would need an extensive setup close to what we've seen in the manga already and that didn't work that well anyway.
If there's something outside of Alluka we haven't been shown what it was.
From the parameter we have there's nothing he could do against one of them.
The abilities he used against Hisoka probably wouldn't be very effective. But those abilities were specifically tailored to defeat Hisoka using the greatest efficiency. I imagine he might be able to create a counter for the RG using his whole moveset. I mean he has Nen Fish that can eat people alive for Christ's sake haha. Chrollo came off as just ridiculously competent in this battle. Given enough time, I think he's capable of a lot.
The Nen fish can eat people alive but it has to connect with them, something I'm not sure it would be capable of doing.
Again someone like Pufu is capable of reading the mood of an opponent (and control them too) to begin with making him even more effective against an opponent who can plan as well as this.
We have seen the RG fights (well mostly Yupi), it's not an understatement to say they're really in a league of their own. The rest of the troupe had trouble dealing with ants that were not much different than actual ants to them.
What do you do against an opponent who can hit you with a power stronger than your full aura while also having enough left to avoid taking damage?
It's similar to Gon vs Knuckle, K was able to see how Gon moved his aura so he counter it without taking damage while also countering where Gon was weak.
It's like that on a bigger scale.
And that's without even taking the King into consideration.

Same goes for pretty much any fighter we've seen for the whole span of HxH really.

MCD

There is nothing Chrollo could do against the Royal Guard, there is nothing any hunter could do anyway, Chrollo is not even on Hisoka pure physical and combat level, and if he had to wait that much and use so much conditions and people to be sure to kill him, thinking he got what it takes to overwhelm Pitou or Yupi, lol.

And yes, the battle we just saw was one sided, Hisoka did not prepare one bit, lesson learned.

I could see Chrollo taking out Pouf pretty easily.

Daingurse

There is nothing Chrollo could do against the Royal Guard, there is nothing any hunter could do anyway, Chrollo is not even on Hisoka pure physical and combat level, and if he had to wait that much to be sure to kill him, thinking he got what it takes to overwhelm Pitou or Yupi, lol.

I mean you really don't know that, because no one knows Chrollo's entire skillset, or what he's collected in that book. The Dark Continent Arc will probably show this, by separating the top tier Hunters from chaffe. We'll see who is capable of surviving the harsh environment, and super powerful organisms. I just can't say whether Chrollo would lose or win anymore. I need to know excatly what he's packing.

Permanently A

Now that we've seen that Nen can explicitly be commanded to execute orders postmortem, is it possible that Don Freecs is actually dead and his Nen is the one writing the books?

Mael

I could see Chrollo taking out Pouf pretty easily.
Funny, I think it's probably the worst match up Kuroro could ask for.

Now that we've seen that Nen can explicitly be commanded to execute orders postmortem, is it possible that Don Freecs is actually dead and his Nen is the one writing the books?
It's most certainly this, we know that this book was started eons ago and it's still being written.
It's the only explanation for this.

Hyun Sai

I mean you really don't know that, because no one knows Chrollo's entire skillset, or what he's collected in that book. The Dark Continent Arc will probably show this, by separating the top tier Hunters from chaffe. We'll see who is capable of surviving the harsh environment, and super powerful organisms. I just can't say whether Chrollo would lose or win anymore. I need to know excatly what he's packing.

If he had to steal Sharnalk and cie to deal with Hisoka, he doesn't pack much more than the trickster set against opponents of the same league or less.

zero_suit

Funny, I think it's probably the worst match up Kuroro could ask for.

It's most certainly this, we know that this book was started eons ago and it's still being written.

Those clones would be a problem. Plus, Pouf is the most intelligent member of the RG by far.

Daingurse

The Nen fish can eat people alive but it has to connect with them, something I'm not sure it would be capable of doing.
Again someone like Pufu is capable of reading the mood of an opponent (and control them too) to begin with making him even more effective against an opponent who can plan as well as this.
We have seen the RG fights (well mostly Yupi), it's not an understatement to say they're really in a league of their own. The rest of the troupe had trouble dealing with ants that were not much different than actual ants to them.
What do you do against an opponent who can hit you with a power stronger than your full aura while also having enough left to avoid taking damage?
It's similar to Gon vs Knuckle, K was able to see how Gon moved his aura so he counter it without taking damage while also countering where Gon was weak.
It's like that on a bigger scale.
And that's without even taking the King into consideration.

Same goes for pretty much any fighter we've seen for the whole span of HxH really.

The RG are in a tier of their own in terms of Nen usage, Aura, Physical Strength, and Durability, but they are not invincible. I thought Chrollo could not touch the RG myself a few weeks ago, but I don't know anymore. Bandit's Secret simply has too many possibilities, and potential for devastating ability combos. I respect Chrollo so much more now than I did before. I just don't know the true extent of what he's capable of. But his intelligence as a fighter really feels threatening. I can no longer say that he is no threat to RG, because I legitimately don't know his ceiling. Too many unknowns.

If he had to steal Sharnalk and cie to deal with Hisoka, he doesn't pack much more than the trickster set against opponents of the same league or less.

That just felt like the the most efficient method. He probably could have defeated Hisoka in a myriad of other ways. Chrollo wanted to win with the minimum amount effort, and the maximum chance of victory. He minimized pretty much any and all risk to himself, because he appears to be a very calculating and shrewd fighter.

Hyun Sai

That just felt like the the most efficient method. He probably could have defeated Hisoka in a myriad of other ways. Chrollo wanted to win with the minimum amount effort, and the maximum chance of victory. He minimized pretty much any and all risk to himself, because he appears to be a very calculating and shrewd fighter.

That is just wishful thinking at this point. What we saw and what he admitted clearly is that he was limited by his book so had to set new rules (and thereso limitations) to deal with Hisoka. This fact is more telling me that Hisoka is a monster of his own.

Mael

Those clones would be a problem. Plus, Pouf is the most intelligent member of the RG by far.
Versatile too.
We only know that they're as deadly the others.
We saw Yupi fight and was pushed to the extent he developed a Nen ability (something he didn't even need before).
Pufu seriously fighting could probably discover a new skill to counter anything thrown at him.
The RG is in a tier of their own in terms of Nen usage, Aura, Physical Strength, and Durability, but they are not invincible. I thought Chrollo could not touch the RG myself a few weeks ago, but I don't know anymore. Bandit's Secret simply has too many possibilities, and potential for devastating ability combos. I respect Chrollo so much more now than I did before. I just don't know the true extent of what he's capable of. But his intelligence as a fighter really feels threatening. I can no longer say that he is no threat to RG, because I legitimately don't know his ceiling. Too many unknowns.

They are not invincible but they cannot be beat too.
Sylva talked it, he's strong and has amazing potential but I don't think he can reach the RG.
the whole point of the ants were that they were undefeatable in a fight but that wasn't enough anyway.
Netero and Gon were the only threat to King that the RG were even concerned about and we were given no reason to believe they were wrong in their assessment.
The only way he would have a chance is either poisoning or putting them in a non standard position.
I don't think there's anything in the serie we've seen that point to this existing.
And the King would have killed him very very quickly.

Daingurse

That is just wishful thinking at this point. What we saw and what he admitted clearly is that he was limited by his book so had to set new rules (and thereso limitations) to deal with Hisoka.

He needed those new limitations for 2 handed techniques in-general, not just for Hisoka.

smurfx

get some go again
you have a disease that can give you immortality as was shown. don freecs may have learned how to use it properly without suffering from the ill effects. hell brion is the guardian of herbs that can cure 10,000 different illnesses. don freecs may be the only one to ever conquer the dark continent.

Mael

you have a disease that can give you immortality as was shown. don freecs may have learned how to use it properly without suffering from the ill effects. hell brion is the guardian of herbs that can cure 10,000 different illnesses. don freecs may be the only one to ever conquer the dark continent.

Good point.
There's also these possibilities.
funny that the people in HxH seems so mortal when there's so many Dragon balls laying around :lol

Hyun Sai

He needed those new limitations for 2 handed techniques in-general, not just for Hisoka.
Not only for 2 handed techniques, but to use several abilities in the same time, thus dealing with Hisoka like we saw. I'm very confident saying now that Chrollo is overwhelmed by Hisoka in pure combat prowess on top of being weaker physically.

Rutger

Banned
That was a cool chapter.

I'm surprised at how many people called Hisoka living an asspull. I think it works fine with what we know, nen stays after death and Hisoka's skill happens to be perfect for forcing someone's heart and lungs to keep working, I'm kind of disappointed I didn't think of that use sooner, but Hisoka is not one to keep people alive. Him fixing his face, hand, and foot would have probably seemed odd if we didn't get his origin story just before this where we learn the can change faces with his nen, the rest wasn't that big of a leap from that.

Then again, I think some people really overstate how "dark and gritty" HxH so maybe I shouldn't have been. It may be deconstructing shonen action manga, but it still embraces many aspects of them as well, that's one reason why I think it works so well.

The fight ended pretty much how I wanted, with Hisoka losing but neither dieing. Hisoka hasn't really had much of a reaction to his loss though, just changing his focus to the rest of the Spiders that he probably already wanted to fight, but maybe we will see the loss affect him more in later chapters. I am sad to see a couple of the spiders taken out so quickly though, since they've always been some of my favorite characters in HxH.

smurfx

get some go again
if gon ends up going to the dark continent could it be possible for killua to stay and there being a big time skip before gon returns? i doubt gon stays a couple of months and then comes back. if gon goes he will likely stay to explore for several years. maybe killua is head of the zoldycks when gon returns.

SoulUnison

Banned
Damn, Shalnark was one of the Troupe members I liked the most.
I wanted to know what the story was with the oddly cheerful guy who was a member of a murderous band of thieves.
He's drawn like the helpful best friend in a kid's cartoon, but he was supposed to be one of the more dangerous villains around.

I guess the stuff he showed off in the Chimera Ants arc was supposed to be the extent of what he can do, then.

I'm glad that Hisoka's still a part of the story and that we didn't lose Chrollo either, but the mechanics of the Rubber Resurrection are weird to me.
What about brain damage? How long was Hisoka "dead?"

So weird.

Damn, Shalnark was one of the Troupe members I liked the most.
I wanted to know what the story was with the oddly cheerful guy who was a member of a murderous band of thieves.
He's drawn like the helpful best friend in a kid's cartoon, but he was supposed to be one of the more dangerous villains around.

I guess the stuff he showed off in the Chimera Ants arc was supposed to be the extent of what he can do, then.

I'm glad that Hisoka's still a part of the story and that we didn't lose Chrollo either, but the mechanics of the Rubber Resurrection are weird to me.
What about brain damage? How long was Hisoka "dead?"

So weird.

I wanted to see more of his saiyan powers

I'm saying that if Kuroro had this kind of skills at his disposal he would have used it against hisoka to make the fight even more lopsided.

Chrollo said his chances of winning were 100% and that was clear, he completely dominated Hisoka. It's hard to get that much more lopsided. He was barely touched let alone hurt.

Mael

Chrollo said his chances of winning were 100% and that was clear, he completely dominated Hisoka. It's hard to get that much more lopsided. He was barely touched let alone hurt.

The gap between the RG and Hisoka is so large that nothing that if Kuroro had anything in his arsenal that could work on the RG it would make his fight against Hisoka easier.
If he's unable to use this method against hisoka it means it wouldn't be effective against the RG.
There's probably only Yupi who's dumber than Hisoka and who probably fight too naively.
He compensate that with sheer strength.
From the Chimera ant arc we kinda know the level of the troupe, they're strong but not that strong.
They can defeat most division commander but that's without Pufu's help to begin with. On 1v1 it would take something on the level of the King to have a curbstomp battle against the RG.
Even with a fraction of his strength, Pufu was confident enough that he could dispatch his foes. The issue was that he didn't have time to properly dispose of them.
The interesting thing about Nen battle is the unpredictable nature of the fight where 1 mistake means death.
But the RGs and the King throw into a bin.
We know peak human condition in HxH, that's Netero and he wasn't able to hurt them.
What Kuroro can even throw at them that could?

Hisoka possibly made a fatal mistake sparing Machi, he seems to have finally gotten a wake up call on his cockiness and he's not going to underestimate Chrollo again but if he's set on killing to spiders to ensure things end on his terms he needs to take every chance he can get.

Hyun Sai

Hisoka possibly made a fatal mistake sparing Machi, he seems to have finally gotten a wake up call on his cockiness and he's not going to underestimate Chrollo again but if he's set on killing to spiders to ensure things end on his terms he needs to take every chance he can get.

I think it may be a good move. Machi got obviously a "soft" spot for Hisoka. After the fact that 2 members are dead and she is alive, the seed of distrust may be placed. Why was she left alive ? Does she work with him ? Can we trust her ?

Slaythe

I think it may be a good move. Machi got obviously a "soft" spot for Hisoka. After the fact that 2 members are dead and she is alive, the seed of distrust may be placed. Why was she left alive ? Does she work with him ? Can we trust her ?

She has a soft spot for Hisoka and not for all of her brothers ?

Have even SEEN any of her dialog regarding Hisoka ? She flat out told him if he touched the boss she'd kill him.

And now not only did he trap her, he made her powerless while he was slaughtering her brothers.

No soft spot anymore.

Kazerei

Banned
Chrollo still had Shalnark and Kortopi's abilities, right? I wonder if and how the abilities will become stronger after death. Surely Hisoka knows it, maybe he is powering up Chrollo on purpose.

Dio

Banned
Edit: Hmm. Well, I do think it's a funny coincidence that the prophecy ended up being sorta relevant even with the time limit, but yeah.

Slaythe

Chrollo still had Shalnark and Kortopi's abilities, right? I wonder if and how the abilities will become stronger after death. Surely Hisoka knows it, maybe he is powering up Chrollo on purpose.

No.

Only curses remain after death.

When a person whose ability he stole dies, Chrollo loses the ability.

Welp what ? Those predictions only tell the future for a month, so that's irrelevant.

Mendrox

No.

Only curses remain after death.

When a person whose ability he stole dies, Chrollo loses the ability.

Welp what ? Those predictions only tell the future for a month, so that's irrelevant.

Or if the Nen gets stronger after death like with the elders nen ability.

Hyun Sai

She has a soft spot for Hisoka and not for all of her brothers ?

Have even SEEN any of her dialog regarding Hisoka ? She flat out told him if he touched the boss she'd kill him.

And now not only did he trap her, he made her powerless while he was slaughtering her brothers.

No soft spot anymore.

It's not me who is saying she has a soft spot, it's Sharnalk. And even if, it's irrelevant compared to what the other spiders may see in the fact that she was the one left with Hisoka, and she is still alive when Sharnalk and Kortopi were slaughtered.

You did remember Phinks and Feitan were ready to torture other members of the Ryodan during York Shin arc thinking they were manipulated, right ? And Machi was already among them.

Slaythe

He let Machi live so she could deliver the message as the main reason. He included her in the "10 to go".

Also Machi looked defeated but I doubt it would take 1 move to defeat a spider.

He killed the two other spiders because they were literally powerless.

Hyun Sai

He let Machi live so she could deliver the message as the main reason. He included her in the "10 to go".

Also Machi looked defeated but I doubt it would take 1 move to defeat a spider.

He killed the two other spiders because they were literally powerless.

The reason why he let Machi live is irrelevant. The fact that those 2 spiders killed were powerless is as irrelevant on what the other spiders may think of Machi now. There were dissensions in the group for the same reason in the York arc.

Slaythe

So a wounded Hisoka is more likely to

a) kill a spider

b) run away

c) kill the two powerless spiders

They won't hold it against her. I don't see why you are arguing.

And once again, Chrollo has the ghost writer ability, so he can use it on her to reveal if she will betray them or not.

smurfx

get some go again
So a wounded Hisoka is more likely to

a) kill a spider

b) run away

c) kill the two powerless spiders

They won't hold it against her. I don't see why you are arguing.

And once again, Chrollo has the ghost writer ability, so he can use it on her to reveal if she will betray them or not.
well if hisoka wants to take away some of his tools then he might go and kill that that mafia guys daughter so he won't get any clues as to when hisoka might come.

Top Bottom