• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think the biggest thing about learning Nen for the princes is that they could at least see the Nen Beasts

Daingurse

Likely the "first?" prince
Yeah, I'm also thinking the first prince might know Nen. I just don't know whether the prince himself is aware of that fact. I think Benjamin might be the type of person who uses Nen without even realizing it. He might have unlocked it through intense physical training.

wartama

Neo Member
I didn't know there was a Hunter x Hunter official thread, I finally found my tribe! Subscribed.

I got so many people into HxH who wouldn't at first give it a chance because of Gon's character design. I even know some people who don't like anime loving HxH. I think it's one of those tales that transcend their genre and medium.

And the latest chapters were so lit. Togashi knows how to give seemingly side characters the limelight. I love the two new bodyguards, I hope they don't get killed. Also, I never imagined seeing a character more screwed up than Hisoka, but this Tserri guy takes the mantle.

I didn't know there was a Hunter x Hunter official thread, I finally found my tribe! Subscribed.

I got so many people into HxH who wouldn't at first give it a chance because of Gon's character design. I even know some people who don't like anime loving HxH. I think it's one of those tales that transcend their genre and medium.

And the latest chapters were so lit. Togashi knows how to give seemingly side characters the limelight. I love the two new bodyguards, I hope they don't get killed. Also, I never imagined seeing a character more screwed up than Hisoka, but this Tserri guy takes the mantle.
How do people not like Gon's design? It's simple but it's good. The art style is just different from the YYH art style.

Philippo

I have a few friends that won't listen to my advices or dropped it pretty early (Hunter Exam or Heavens Arena arcs), hope they'll change their minds.

wartama

Neo Member
How do people not like Gon's design? It's simple but it's good. The art style is just different from the YYH art style.

Lol, most of the time they think it's 'kiddy', and a story featuring a 12-year-old with spikey hair won't be for them because they've outgrown Digimon and DBZ. Judging a book by its cover, basically.

@ Philippo those who dropped it at the Hunter Exam, at what episode did they stop watching? Personally, I feel that the 2011 remake didn't do the Hunter Exams arc justice. There was a lot of censoring, and it felt pretty rushed. I remember dropping the anime at around the Trick Tower section and didn't pay attention to it until they adapted Yorkshin and I was hooked on it since. I eventually went back to watching the previous episodes, and I still thought the adaptation of the Hunter Exam arc was the weakest (and it's my favourite arc too).

caliph95

The last chapter was more readable on Viz than on MS
03cs02wxsg7z.jpg

Philippo

@ Philippo those who dropped it at the Hunter Exam, at what episode did they stop watching? Personally, I feel that the 2011 remake didn't do the Hunter Exams arc justice. There was a lot of censoring, and it felt pretty rushed. I remember dropping the anime at around the Trick Tower section and didn't pay attention to it until they adapted Yorkshin and I was hooked on it since. I eventually went back to watching the previous episodes, and I still thought the adaptation of the Hunter Exam arc was the weakest (and it's my favourite arc too).

I don't know exactly where, but one of them only watched the pilot and then dropped it because it was "too childish" lol

Daingurse

When I was younger, I definitely pre-judged HxH based on the Vol 1 cover art. I got into HxH a few years later than I should have because of that lol.

HStallion

Yeah I've gotten a couple friends into HxH from my recommendations. Some were already fans of YYH so that certainly helped get them into it.

caliph95

I never read YYH but read HxH when i was bored and didn't start loving it until i binged (well skip some episodes and arc or two) the anime which helped that i already knew what to expect

Euphony

Banned
I started watching YYH a couple months ago but I only got halfway through the Dark Tournament arc before falling off of it. I still intend on going back because I liked what I saw up to that point, but for some reason I just stopped. As for HxH, I do have to admit it took 2 times for me to get into it. The first time I dropped it before even getting to the exam. Really glad I came back to it as it's become one of my favorite mangas.

Lol, most of the time they think it's 'kiddy', and a story featuring a 12-year-old with spikey hair won't be for them because they've outgrown Digimon and DBZ. Judging a book by its cover, basically.

If I recall right, when you look on the Japanese amazon website from when the 2011 anime had first started airing, you'll see a lot of fans there hating on it so badly and wishing it were like the '99 anime.
Luckily for me, upon catching up to the old one, the newer anime was nearing the peak of the Heaven's Arena arc at the time where I was more able to give it the benefit of the doubt
When I was younger, I definitely pre-judged HxH based on the Vol 1 cover art. I got into HxH a few years later than I should have because of that lol.

Same exact thing for me! I could've latched on as early as 2008. By 2010 my good friend kept trying to get me into it. Didn't work out until a couple years later, and now I almost can't stop obsessing over the series

I was a fan of YYH when I was in my teens and loved it. Then when I saw what HxH looked like I wasn't too interested. Then last year I saw the anime and loved the shit out of it. Chimera arc hit me like a ton of bricks, that arc is legit.

I'll say, pretty much, and it made my mind go boom (the anime)

Well, maybe they could have done something different with the Palace Invasion segment, but I still love the hell out of it

LotusHD

Banned

I didn't like any of their designs, with Killua being the closest to looking "decent". It's only after seeing how cool the characters were that I quickly stopped giving a shit. Them changing clothes also helps, like Kurapika in his suit looks quite cool. But yea, it definitely made me think of it as kiddy (Or maybe not kiddy necessarily, but if the protagonists look lame imo, it's harder for me to get excited) and take way too long to finally see what all the fuss was about. Worked out anyways since binging is the best way to watch stuff like this.

wartama

Neo Member
If I recall right, when you look on the Japanese amazon website from when the 2011 anime had first started airing, you'll see a lot of fans there hating on it so badly and wishing it were like the '99 anime.
Luckily for me, upon catching up to the old one, the newer anime was nearing the peak of the Heaven's Arena arc at the time where I was more able to give it the benefit of the doubt

I'm no longer a '99 purist lol, but it really felt like the 2011 version was committed to being 'shonen-friendly', as in, young character design (the '99 designs looked old), no blood, toning down the body horror. I was so disappointed with it at the start, and didn't think they wouldn't be able to pull off the more violent Yorkshin and Chimera ant arcs. I'm glad they proved me wrong.

I didn't like any of their designs, with Killua being the closest to looking "decent". It's only after seeing how cool the characters were that I quickly stopped giving a shit. Them changing clothes also helps, like Kurapika in his suit looks quite cool. But yea, it definitely made me think of it as kiddy (Or maybe not kiddy necessarily, but if the protagonists look lame imo, it's harder for me to get excited) and take way too long to finally see what all the fuss was about. Worked out anyways since binging is the best way to watch stuff like this.

Wot. Leorio is handsome, not lame at all.

But I hear ya. The designs of the main characters (+ Hisoka) make it look like it's about something different (though I always loved OG Kurapika, it tells you straight away he's from a super obscure tribe, though actually now that I think of it, all the designs tell you about the character before you know their stories).

I can't imagine Chimera arc weekly. I guess everybody just grew on me visually. Killua actually has a pretty cool design. He looks bad ass on some of the covers. I think the one with the wolf on it.
latest

LotusHD

Banned
I'm no longer a '99 purist lol, but it really felt like the 2011 version was committed to being 'shonen-friendly', as in, young character design (the '99 designs looked old), no blood, toning down the body horror. I was so disappointed with it at the start, and didn't think they wouldn't be able to pull off the more violent Yorkshin and Chimera ant arcs. I'm glad they proved me wrong.

Wot. Leorio is handsome, not lame at all.

But I hear ya. The designs of the main characters (+ Hisoka) make it look like it's about something different (though I always loved OG Kurapika, it tells you straight away he's from a super obscure tribe, though actually now that I think of it, all the designs tell you about the character before you know their stories).

I just find Leorio's attire amusing when juxtaposed with his friends lol

I do like Hisoka's design though.

I can't imagine Chimera arc weekly. I guess everybody just grew on me visually. Killua actually has a pretty cool design. He looks bad ass on some of the covers. I think the one with the wolf on it.
latest

I like the simplicity of his outfit at the very least.

Syntsui

latest

Lmao at the bad photoshoped wolf head shoehorned behind him look of this cover. To be honest, I really don't like the look of most of the HxH covers.

I just find Leorio's attire amusing when juxtaposed with his friends lol

I do like Hisoka's design though.

I like the simplicity of his outfit at the very least.
Everybody loves the murder clown that will turn your arms into Lucky Charms. Leerio's is funny cause he's clearly the only cast member not dressed to fight.
Lmao at the bad photoshoped wolf head shoehorned behind him look of this cover. To be honest, I really don't like the look of most of the HxH covers.
Some are good while others are bad, though his latest one is fucking great though.

Oh! Guess who did that introductory episode?

Flippin' DR Movie AGAIN! They were on quite a roll all of a sudden there. Almost couldn't believe my eyes!
Their HxH output is unexpectedly great, which is odd cause I knew of them from Diamond is Unbreakable first, which...isn't so great.

If they didn't like the arc, they tapped out before the ending, which retroactively makes a lot of it better.
But how? A lot of the events in the arc are great. I'll admit it can taste patience a tad, but that ending is one of the best Shonen endings. Pretty much after Kite "dies" you get hooked.

Chimera Ant Arc >>>>>>>>>>>>> every other arc by far

Motherfuckers go to war
What's to argue about? It's pretty much up there with Dark Tournament and RK Kyoto arc. Granted I'm a bit lost when it comes to the other great shonen arcs. I can only really rewatch DBZ in Team Four Star form at this point and HxH tap dances on anything Bleach and Naruto. I plead the fifth on One Piece since I don't watch/read it. Do I have to throw in Jojo Parts?

HStallion

The Palace Invasion was a better war arc than the entire War from Naruto.
He was even better at bringing people back to life.

LotusHD

Banned
What's to argue about? It's pretty much up there with Dark Tournament and RK Kyoto arc. Granted I'm a bit lost when it comes to the other great shonen arcs. I can only really rewatch DBZ in Team Four Star form at this point and HxH tap dances on anything Bleach and Naruto. I plead the fifth on One Piece since I don't watch/read it. Do I have to throw in Jojo Parts?

Do better.

Always humorously irked me when people manage to read Bleach and Naruto, but didn't have time for the last one of the Big 3. :(

The Palace Invasion was a better war arc than the entire War from Naruto.
He was even better at bringing people back to life.

D:

"You become a zombie and you become a zombie and everybody becomes a zombie...except for Jiraiya."

He in the ocean though...

Do better.

Always humorously irked me when people manage to read Bleach and Naruto, but didn't have time for the last one of the Big 3. :(
Who said I read/watched Bleach? I heard how bad it was and pretty much shunned it. I kind of never picked up One Piece solely on the art style.

Euphony

Banned
Chapter 363 spoilers are out
Zhang Lei is told by one of his guards that none of his guards knows anything about Nen.
Camilla questions the rule of the Succession War. King Nasubi refuses to clarify and repeats "the only one surviving is the official successor to the throne". Benjamin mocks Camilla's ranting and tells Nasubi that Camilla doesn't deserve the throne and he'll preserve the Kakin Empire.
Benjamin can use Nen but cannot see his Nen beast. Given that all the princes now knows the existence of Nen and Nen beast, Benjamin sends his own private soldiers to spy on other princes under the disguise of royal guards, using his role as deputy chief advisor to the Kakin military. He also gives them permission to kill if in danger.
Benjamin's soldier arrives at Woble's room. A maid answers the door. Woble starts crying. Bill and Kurapika find the maid stabbed dead. Kurapika concludes that the new guard is not to spy but to assassinate.

Kyuur

Figured that Benjamin either knew Nen or would be the kind of person with an aptitude for learning it. He's gotta be an Enhancer right? It feels like its been a while since we've actually seen one so I wonder if Togashi has picked up any new ideas for what they can do.

Who said I read/watched Bleach? I heard how bad it was and pretty much shunned it. I kind of never picked up One Piece solely on the art style.

Kind of funny given the discussion just had about people ignoring HxH due to its character designs. I'd say you're missing out similarly!

Figured that Benjamin either knew Nen or would be the kind of person with an aptitude for learning it. He's gotta be an Enhancer right? It feels like its been a while since we've actually seen one so I wonder if Togashi has picked up any new ideas for what they can do.

Kind of funny given the discussion just had about people ignoring HxH due to its character designs. I'd say you're missing out similarly!
There's also the length honestly. How long is it? 900 chapters? I had an art style thing with FMA as well and got over that quickly enough, but god damn One Piece is long. Certain things I'll follow, but I can't even really get into the anime because of the pacing of that as well. I really do consider One Piece to be the singular property that if you weren't into it from the very beginning that trying to catch up is an arduous time sink. I'll deal with it when they do like an abridged version of it at some point. Or just hit a bone dry period with manga. I really do need to be sold on One Piece and it can't be because Oda religiously writes it or the attention to detail. I need like a really good "Oh shit" moment like with Berserk where I started reading up on Griffith and hearing about how good of a villain he is or seeing the art work. I like HxH because it doesn't exactly play out like you think it would and hearing about how Gon and Killua get along. I would really need somebody to sell me on One Piece and why I should devote the shit ton of my life to it. I haven't even bothered to watch SEW's video on why I should get into One Piece.

Euphony

Banned

Out of all the princes he definitely seemed like the one that would know about Nen, and yea he looks like he's an enhancer type. I kind of like that Enhancer types are the no frills tanks of HxH. No fancy and flashy abilities with all sorts of rules. Just good old fashion unimaginable sturdiness, speed, and power to screw up your day.

The one thing that kind of bothers me from the spoiler summary is how can Benjamin not see his Nen beast if he can use Nen? Maybe a person's Nen beast is invisible and impermeable to its host?

There's also the length honestly. How long is it? 900 chapters? I had an art style thing with FMA as well and got over that quickly enough, but god damn One Piece is long. Certain things I'll follow, but I can't even really get into the anime because of the pacing of that as well. I really do consider One Piece to be the singular property that if you weren't into it from the very beginning that trying to catch up is an arduous time sink. I'll deal with it when they do like an abridged version of it at some point. Or just hit a bone dry period with manga. I really do need to be sold on One Piece and it can't be because Oda religiously writes it or the attention to detail. I need like a really good "Oh shit" moment like with Berserk where I started reading up on Griffith and hearing about how good of a villain he is or seeing the art work. I like HxH because it doesn't exactly play out like you think it would and hearing about how Gon and Killua get along. I would really need somebody to sell me on One Piece and why I should devote the shit ton of my life to it. I haven't even bothered to watch SEW's video on why I should get into One Piece.

One Piece's length was definitely something that held me back from starting to watch/read it several years ago so I can fully understand where you're coming from. I'm really glad I picked it up though because, even if it is on chapter 871 now, it never felt like a slog or a burden for me to try and catch up to the latest chapter. And honestly the chapters fly by pretty fast once you start to get into the series. I recently started rereading One Piece and I'm already on chapter 304 after reading a couple chapters at night before going to bed. I'm aware that what I said most likely won't convince you to start it, but I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter.

Top Bottom