• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

On a semi related note would reborn Chimera Ant Kite have the same hatsu?

Completely unknown, does the soul/brain (or whatever was transferred from Kite's dead body to the ant body to keep him, him) retain one's nen? It's pretty much something we have to wait for Togashi to tell us or never bring up.

Lulubop

I forget, was Gyro turned into a Chimera Ant or is he still human?

Turned into an Ant, but unlike any other he was able to break the inherit connect to the King/Queen. Palm talks about how after she was transformed she still had this natural loyalty to the King. Gyro is the only dude to be like fuck all that. The foreshadowing Togashi applied to him is like final villain shit, but let's be real the DC arc is going to take like a decade to complete.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Turned into an Ant, but unlike any other he was able to break the inherit connect to the King/Queen. Palm talks about how after she was transformed she still had this natural loyalty to the King. Gyro is the only dude to be like fuck all that. The foreshadowing Togashi applied to him is like final villain shit, but let's be real the DC arc is going to take like a decade to complete.

Till you find out he is in the boat

Marow

Man are we going to get Gyro after this and the DC? Or will Gon be going on an adventure concurrently? Because this is going be long af
... what if they happen at the same time?

Isn't the Hunter Association busy with the boat and DC right now, including Pariston? What's to stop Gyro from, say, claiming all of the chimera ant eggs?

Lulubop

Right, that's what I'm wondering. Though still seems like he'd get his own big arc.
x6NMNRl.jpg

Any other translations out there for this panel?

The foreshadowing Togashi applied to him is like final villain shit, but let's be real the DC arc is going to take like a decade to complete.

This. Chimera ant was 132 chapters and took roughly 9 years (2003-2012) from start to finish, and this was back when Togashi was still getting about 20 chapters a year out after the serious hiatuses began in 2006.

DC got 1 chapter in 2012, 2 in 2013, 9 in 2014, 0 in 2015 and 11 in 2016, 23 chapters over a total of four years. If we assume that Togashi publishes 10 chapters a year from 2017 onward, and that the DC arc is at least 120 chapters, it'll be around 2026 by the time it's over.

If he publishes less than 10 chapters a year (which, on average, he has since 2013), and if the arc is more than 120 chapters, we might be here until the early 2030s. And Togashi isn't getting any younger either.

Lakuza

This. Chimera ant was 132 chapters and took roughly 9 years (2003-2012) from start to finish, and this was back when Togashi was still getting about 20 chapters a year out after the serious hiatuses began in 2006.

DC got 1 chapter in 2012, 2 in 2013, 9 in 2014, 0 in 2015 and 11 in 2016, 23 chapters over a total of four years. If we assume that Togashi publishes 10 chapters a year from 2017 onward, and that the DC arc is at least 120 chapters, it'll be around 2026 by the time it's over.

If he publishes less than 10 chapters a year (which, on average, he has since 2013), and if the arc is more than 120 chapters, we might be here until the early 2030s. And Togashi isn't getting any younger either.

this is painful to read T_T painful because it will most likely happen. I really wish he'd get someone to do all the drawings for him and he can focus on the story atleast.

Kind of sounds like Berserk will end before HxH.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Isn't Gyro implied to be the Ant King (Meruem) equivalent

If his Nen is Meruem level then the world is doomed. As far as we know he's just an Ant who remembers everything, has his own personality, and isn't under any kind of control.

Euphony

Banned

Strength wise? I'm not really sure considering we didn't really get much exposition on what he became after he was reincarnated. In terms of influence, I'd say that he does rival Meruem given that some thought so highly of him that they kept that memory after their reincarnation. Welfin was even willing to die by saying Gyro was his king to Meruem's face.

Strength wise? I'm not really sure considering we didn't really get much exposition on what he became after he was reincarnated. In terms of influence, I'd say that he does rival Meruem given that some thought so highly of him that they kept that memory after their reincarnation. Welfin was even willing to die by saying Gyro was his king to Meruem's face.
Isn't that the scene where every hair follicle got feared off of Welfin's body?

smurfx

get some go again
Till you find out he is in the boat
doesn't he basically want to end the world? if he knows about the calamities he might head over and try to bring some back to unleash on the human world. although i think he will likely take over meteor city while the troupe is gone and then try to take over more of the world after. a lot of the really strong hunters will be in the dark continent so right now there aren't many who will be able to stop him. i do think if togashi ever gets to finish the dark continent arc he will likely have a time skip.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I suppose its possible that a person that has a will and mind strong enough to survive death and rebirth as a Chimera Ant retaining everything at 100% and also able to also break the control of the Chimera Ant Queen at the same time, it would mean they'd probably be a monster Nen user even as a human.

dan2026

The aging scene happens right before that. When Meruem starts to walk away to find Komugi after he remembers her thanks to Welfin, Welfin says that Gyro is his king and not Meruem. Looking back it's a really powerful scene.
That scene is one of the best of the arc.

Welfin denouncing Meruem and stating Gyro is his true king, even though he believes this will cost him his life.
Meruem completing his journey towards humanity by not only not killing Welfin, but letting him go and wishing him the best of luck finding Gyro and regaining a normal life.

Pouf's despair and breakdown at failing to stop Meruem becoming human. He'll he even dies soon after.

Basically Welfin is the true hero of the arc.

That scene is one of the best of the arc.

Welfin denouncing Meruem and stating Gyro is his true king, even though he believes this will cost him his life.
Meruem completing his journey towards humanity by not only not killing Welfin, but letting him go and wishing him the best of luck finding Gyro and regaining a normal life.

Pouf's despair and breakdown at failing to stop Meruem becoming human. He'll he even dies soon after.

Basically Welfin is the true hero of the arc.
Technically Komougi is stealth hero since his affection for her helped him find traces of his humanity.

I like to use this scale:

After 1-4 chapters: Hiatus level green.

After 5-9 chapters: Hiatus level yellow.

After 10+ chapters: Hiatus level red.

Normally, we'd have roughly two more chapters before we enter the "yellow" danger level. The problem is that Dragon Quest XI comes out on July 29 in Japan, an atypical circumstance which brings us to level red at that point and potentially ends this year's run instantly.

Expecting Togashi to put up with agonizing back pain and the inability to poop is one thing, expecting him to hold off on playing a new DQ is pure foolishness.

You'd think I'd be used to it by now. I was reading this back in 04... Before the breaks started.

He's going to need to output 30 chapters a year if he wants to end this in the next 10-15 years. His assistants need to take over.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You'd think I'd be used to it by now. I was reading this back in 04... Before the breaks started.

He's going to need to output 30 chapters a year if he wants to end this in the next 10-15 years. His assistants need to take over.

He has no assistants. You think he'd have had scribbles published if he had assistants? It's just him, and lately, his wife.

remz

He has no assistants. You think he'd have had scribbles published if he had assistants? It's just him, and lately, his wife.

That's not true man. they did a video with WSJ lately (?) and he mentioned that a lot of the backgrounds/etc in Dark continent are because of his assistants hard work or something, in vol 24 or something he mentions an assistant making a sticker... that stuff is a myth.

Like maybe at the end of chimera he didn't or seomthing, but he has had the in the past and i'm pretty sure he has them now! dunno how much work they do though...

I imagine a lot of the time spent on HxH goes into world building/scenario/character writing and that the time spent drawing is pretty minor by comparison

That's not true man. they did a video with WSJ lately (?) and he mentioned that a lot of the backgrounds/etc in Dark continent are because of his assistants hard work or something, in vol 24 or something he mentions an assistant making a sticker... that stuff is a myth
I knew I wasn't crazy. lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's not true man. they did a video with WSJ lately (?) and he mentioned that a lot of the backgrounds/etc in Dark continent are because of his assistants hard work or something, in vol 24 or something he mentions an assistant making a sticker... that stuff is a myth

Oh, so he finally got some. I remember an old interview from a few years back where he talked about wanting to do it all himself, without assistants.

Togashi can be spotted in public and is known friends with several mangaka and is married, Miura? That man is a hermit.

I know that. I meant as a mangaka.

I know his wife has helped in the past, so he's not above receiving help. I remember reading on the Evil Genius forums that he got some assistants for backgrounds and such. But that wasn't sourced.

I know that. I meant as a mangaka.

I know his wife has helped in the past, so he's not above receiving help. I remember reading on the Evil Genius forums that he got some assistants for backgrounds and such. But that wasn't sourced.
Togashi needs all the help he can get, though I do know I can't get used to HxH every week.

Philippo

Togashi and Jump need to think the long run and plan something to get this manga to end.
We're at what, half-way through the story?
As far as i know Togashi has already proved himself willing to end a series in a rush with YYH, as long as its at his conditions, if he lacks motivation or the energy to finish it. So i wouldn't be surprised if he reaches the point of no return health-wise and pull the plug abruptly. But i also think if this was to happen, he would have already done it. Instead he keeps on trying, even heavily sick. So, if he wants to complete it against all odds, they need a way to ease the process, or it will really take another 20+ years.

Togashi and Jump need to think the long run and plan something to get this manga to end.
We're at what, half-way through the story?

We're way farther than that. I think Togashi has said he has plans for 3 more arcs, but didn't specify length (stuff like the election arc was only 20 chapters) and it's possible that DC is considered one of them (with the boat being it's own arc).

Things that definitely need to happen before the story ends:

-Gon must meet Gyro.

That's basically it. It's the only thing the narrator has told us will absolutely happen. On the other hand, if we look at important plot threads that need to be resolved and most likely won't be a part of DC:

-Illumi's fate.
-Hisoka's fate.
-Gon relearning Nen.
-Gyro's arc.
-The surviving Chimera Ants.

That's not a ton of stuff. It's reasonable to assume that DC is the end of Kurapika's story, and possibly Ging and Leorio's as well. They all have core objectives and main antagonists tied directly to their motivations featured in this arc, and not much left to do after wrapping that stuff up.

Killua's story almost ended in the Election arc, when he found a semi-peaceful resolution to his family's internal conflict. The only loose thread is Illumi. Gon's story seemed to reach a definitive end in that same arc when he achieved his objective of meeting Ging, but if he's destined to meet Gyro then that means Togashi isn't done with him yet.

Potentially, the story could go Boat -> DC -> Gyro and then be over by the mid 2030s, if these arcs aren't gigantic and Togashi doesn't take any more 80-issue breaks.

Philippo

We're way farther than that. I think Togashi has said he has plans for 3 more arcs, but didn't specify length (stuff like the election arc was only 20 chapters) and it's possible that DC is considered one of them (with the boat being it's own arc).

Things that definitely need to happen before the story ends:

-Gon must meet Gyro.

That's basically it. It's the only thing the narrator has told us will absolutely happen. On the other hand, if we look at important plot threads that need to be resolved and most likely won't be a part of DC:

-Illumi's fate.
-Hisoka's fate.
-Gon relearning Nen.
-Gyro's arc.
-The surviving Chimera Ants.

That's not a ton of stuff. It's reasonable to assume that DC is the end of Kurapika's story, and possibly Ging and Leorio's as well. They all have core objectives and main antagonists tied directly to their motivations featured in this arc, and not much left to do after wrapping that stuff up.

Killua's story almost ended in the Election arc, when he found a semi-peaceful resolution to his family's internal conflict. The only loose thread is Illumi. Gon's story seemed to reach a definitive end in that same arc when he achieved his objective of meeting Ging, but if he's destined to meet Gyro then that means Togashi isn't done with him yet.

Potentially, the story could go Boat -> DC -> Gyro and then be over by the mid 2030s, if these arcs aren't gigantic and Togashi doesn't take any more 80-issue breaks.

I don't know man, the DC is so massive, i can't believe it's only going to be part of 1 arc and thats it. It feels to me like the New World from OP in terms of potential content. But you're right in terms of character motivations, so who knows.

kirblar

It's weird that Gon isn't even part of the story this arc.
He is the main character. Or at least he was.
A big part of HxH is that "you are not the main character." Gon/Meruem not meeting, Gon being absent most of the past two arcs, Kurapika going off the grid for even longer than that, Leorio going to med school and actually doing normal adult things- these are all part of that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A big part of HxH is that "you are not the main character." Gon/Meruem not meeting, Gon being absent most of the past two arcs, Kurapika going off the grid for even longer than that, Leorio going to med school and actually doing normal adult things- these are all part of that.

That said, I do think we'll be getting a time skip the second the boat reaches the portal to the DC and our first introduction to it will be with Gon and Killua.

I'm on ep 68, Killua's technique to move that fat man out of that ring of fire is hilarious. Killua gave absolutely zero fucks. "Wh...Who is this pervy freak?"

No, this seems to be a common misconception. Gyro and Meruem are not the same being. He is a separate ant on his own - a part which the anime didn't cover possibly due to the amount of blatancy in this panel quoted:
Right, that's what I'm wondering. Though still seems like he'd get his own big arc.
x6NMNRl.jpg

Any other translations out there for this panel?
From the ViZ translation:
"Gyro left town, and disappeared without encountering Gon.

Whether this proved to be fortunate for either party will not be known
until they ultimately meet."

ElFly

it could be said that Gon completed his arc when he met Ging

so after that he could easily just sit out an arc or two

from reddit [you know the drill]

Togashi's comments from #364
"I grateful to my physiotherapist. Finally my lower back pain has been defeated!"

Top Bottom