• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
Zoe said:
So how are San Antonio and Dallas handling everything? All of the school districts in Austin are letting out early due to the influx of evacuees.

Dallas is mostly ignoring it. We're expected to get some high winds and a bunch of rain, but not much more than that.

For the guys talking about being in downtown Houston, you know that hurricanes frequently spawn tornadoes, right? Speaking from experience, a tornado in the heart of an urban district is an ugly and dangerous thing to see.

I fear for Galveston, mostly. They have a high sea wall for storm surge, but not much of anything to defend against high winds. Those little stilt houses are going to go a-flyin'.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
mrbagdt said:
we face category 2 and it is CERTAIN DEATH.

i fucking hate the media and their coverage, all they do is scare the shit out of everyone (including me!).

the storm is headed right towards where i live, but i will wait til it hits and ride it out. if i lose power i will probably leave when it is past us, but til then, FUCK YOU IKE I JUST DID THIS SHIT A WEEK AGO
It's not necessarily the strength of the storm, I don't think, it's the possibility of flooding in that area. You can spill a coffee pot and flood some areas of Houston for a month.

seanoff

guess said:
Well, other communities are already under water. Downtown galveston is under in certain parts. Water up to the hoods of a few cars.

Ohhh well, they're fucked then. if it continues on like this it will make Katrina look like a girl scout picnic. That was just flooding. This will be full force of the ocean. There won't be anything left to go back to.

Being a smelly european we don't get such things. Yet all this hurricane talk made be curious.

Ike ain't got shit on Typhoon Tip

Typhoonsizes.jpg

Evlar

Banned
I haven't been through natural disasters like major earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or tsunamis, but I have been through tornados and major hurricanes. In my experience nothing is more frightening than storm surge. You are completely helpless before it, and if you've let yourself get caught on a barrier island or coastal peninsula there may be nothing at all you can do to escape it in the height of the storm. It's as ugly as mother nature gets.

seanoff said:
Ohhh well, they're fucked then. if it continues on like this it will make Katrina look like a girl scout picnic. That was just flooding. This will be full force of the ocean. There won't be anything left to go back to.

Katrina wasn't just flooding, just ask the Mississippi coast. Anyways though, just got news about gas prices going up tomorrow. My mom's boyfriend is coming down to get out the storm when it makes the turn east once on land, and he said they are only allowing people to purchase $40 no matter what form of payment in order to ration out the gas since it's going up $5.00/gallon tomorrow.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
lil smoke said:
Must be really nice down there in Tex/LA for you guys to go thru this shit. Ya'll got low taxes or somethin?

Not like this is every week. We haven't had a hurricane here in 25 years.

Every area has something. Cali has wildfires and earthquakes, midwest has tornadoes, blizzards in the northeast, etc.

But yeah, I love it down here.

Ronok

I'm watching some footbal of a sea wall right now and waves are already breaking over the top of it. There is no sound so i don't know the location, but, that's scary to watch. With the storm so far out that place is pretty much fucked. :-/

Zoe said:
So how are San Antonio and Dallas handling everything? All of the school districts in Austin are letting out early due to the influx of evacuees.

Nothing much going on in San Antonio, other than the influx of evacuees (again). Since San Antonio doubles as the headquarters for these types of storms recently, one of our AFB's is transformed into a giant staging ground for evacuees and rescue workers. Everything seems to be going smoothly... though I wonder if the president will be stopping by like he did during Gustav to oversee operations.

Zoe

Incognito said:
though I wonder if the president will be stopping by like he did during Gustav to oversee operations.

We do have Biden coming to Austin apparently.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
seanoff said:
some of you had no idea.

it's not the wind that's dangerous here, it's the storm surge. If its a CAT3 when it hits carrying 20ft storm surge. Then good luck

The Storm surge will cause infinitely more damage than the wind and that is the prime danger. Galverston's sea wall might save that city, but at 15 - 16 feet it might be 6 feet too low. Other communities without such protection would just find themselves swimming.

if you are in the path, get out of the way. if you don't want to. See ya on the other side.
75 miles inland, the major problem will be wind damage and flash flooding from the rain.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DJ_Tet said:
Yeah, Hugo in the late 80's destroyed Charleston as a Cat 2/3 border, and here in Charlotte it came through as a tropical storm. It was one of the craziest things I've ever been through, and we were without power for a week.

People shouldn't downplay hurricanes based on category alone, there are other factors like storm surge and how fast it is moving (and like you posted, how long it can maintain it's shape.)

Even though Hugo was a tropical storm when it came through Charlotte, there was a defined eye wall and everything. It really trashed us.
Hugo was still a cat 1 hurricane when it hit Charlotte, considering it made landfall as a cat 4.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/history/hugo_1989_map.gif
http://www.csc.noaa.gov/products/nchaz/htm/hugo.htm

mrbagdt

Here is what things look like in Lake Charles, LA. The water has gotten a lot higher over the past day, these first pictures show what is normally a beach. It is just a little windy right now, we are all watching the track and getting a little nervous. No evacuations here, but almost everyplace is closed.

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

The signs say 'God Bless', 'Narcotics Removed' and 'Shotgun Security'. Thats a national guard guy with a M-16 or something.

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

besada

Banned
They need to put up a camera on seawall blvd in Galveston and just leave it until it's underwater.

Man, I fucking love Galveston. So sad to see what's going to happen to it. Again.

DJ_Tet

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how crazy this one gets. The size of this puppy just boggles the mind.

I'm close to Louisiana so will probably see some rain etc.

is there any pic from a someone on land viewing it in its entirety. i wanna see what it looks like to see a massive storm barreling...waltzing towards inland.

i live in tornado ally and have seen my fair share of big ass tornadoes. that move at a damn good clip and is pretty awe inspiring.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

Dr. Jeff Masters: "Hurricane Ike is closing in on Texas, and stands poised to become one of the most damaging hurricanes of all time. Despite Ike's rated Category 2 strength, the hurricane is much larger and more powerful than Category 5 Katrina or Category 5 Rita."

:(

besada

Banned
Surfside Beach already has massive flooding. Cars floating, etc.

It looks like most of the midwest is going to get banged by this. Weather Channel is showing massive flooding throughout, from the moisture dumped by Ike.

From Moody Gardens in Galveston:
091220081125_s.jpg

besada said:
Surfside Beach already has massive flooding. Cars floating, etc.

It looks like most of the midwest is going to get banged by this. Weather Channel is showing massive flooding throughout, from the moisture dumped by Ike.

From Moody Gardens in Galveston:
091220081125_s.jpg

this is unbelievable... still 200 miles out. holy fuck.

http://www.sunherald.com/pageone/story/811192.html

There's a saying in Southern Mississippi that Hurricane Camille killed more people in 2005 than she did in 1969, from residents thinking they were safe because the most beastly storm on record spared them. I hope that the residents of Galveston took the warnings from the NWS, and the lessons of Katrina, seriously.

If this storm turns out to be as bad as it looks I hope the NHC will have a more serious discussion regarding the S-S scale before next season. The last few years or so have shown that scale's focus on top sustained winds to actually be a pretty flawed indicator of threat to human life and property, IMO.

besada

Banned
This is going to be horrible. Supposedly 50,000 people still in Galveston and surrounding areas and the storm surge is already throwing huge amounts of water over the sea wall, long before the worst gets there. At this point it's probably not even possible to get off the barrier islands safely.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smiles and Cries said:
how can that be?
They've actually mentioned on the Weather Channel how Ike is slightly bizarre in that the strongest winds weren't in the eyewall where they should be but in the squall lines around it. Also, this storm is just huge in general and the air circulation extends to ALL of the Gulf Coast.

Evlar

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
There's a good post about it here:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1081&tstamp=200809

S-S categorization as a means of gauging threat to life and property completely breaks down when storms get a wind field the size of Ike or Katrina.
Right. DAMN RIGHT. The Saffir-Simpson categorization system has been horribly mis-used, and it endangers lives when people make decisions based on that "Cat" number rather than the summary of threats, including storm surge and rainfall-sourced flooding potential. Wind speed is by no means an accurate indicator of the deadliness of all storms.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Evlar said:
Right. DAMN RIGHT. The Saffir-Simpson categorization system has been horribly mis-used, and it endangers lives when people make decisions based on that "Cat" number rather than the summary of threats, including storm surge and rainfall-sourced flooding potential. Wind speed is by no means an accurate indicator of the deadliness of all storms.
Yeah, wind distribution and movement speed are both key factors that aren't represented by the S-S scale. You can have a major hurricane whose winds are tight around the eye, or you can have a non-major hurricane whose winds extend far out--like Ike.

Hitokage said:
Yeah, wind distribution and movement speed are both key factors that aren't represented by the S-S scale. You can have a major hurricane whose winds are tight around the eye, or you can have a non-major hurricane whose winds extend far out--like Ike.

And both can do a hell of a lot of damage and killing. I think part of the problem is that we have just one "number" to gauge a storm. A storm like Andrew caused catastrophic wind damage, Katrina had both a colossal surge and wind damage, and Ike has a super surge and not much in the way of straight-line winds. Fran was a WTF FLOOOOOD experience for the Carolinas.

We need to start breaking out this stuff. It's more useful for forecasters anyway-inland people on costal states are going to be more worried about flooding and residual winds, while more coastal residents are going to want to pay attention to the power of straight-line wind damage and storm surge. I think at this point a scale that reduces the different impacts into a magic number does the public a disservice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was in Florida not long after Andrew hit. It was like a mowed lawn, except those blades of grass were actually pine trees.

Anyway, I don't think the S-S scale is useless, but it would be a lot better if there was an indication as to the size and tightness of the storm, as you could probably derive surge using that.

dionysus

Yaldog
Stuck in Brazil right now, but my apartment is at Richmond & Kirby which is inside the 610 loop. My roommate is riding it out, so he can look after my stuff. At least my car is in the second floor of the garage.

Flying back to Louisiana tonight to stay with mommie, where I will wait till power is returned before I come home. Several of my coworkers houses are probably fucked, but all my personal friends are in areas that won't have flooding, including me.

Tideas

Banned
If anyone is watching CNN, see this is why stupid ppl piss me off. When ppl tell you to evacuate, if you don't evacuate, not only do you endanger yourself, you endanger the people that's uspposed to come to your rescue.

stupid ppl

NotWii

Banned
Hitokage said:
They've actually mentioned on the Weather Channel how Ike is slightly bizarre in that the strongest winds weren't in the eyewall where they should be but in the squall lines around it. Also, this storm is just huge in general and the air circulation extends to ALL of the Gulf Coast.
Artificially induced by HAARP?

I'm hearing a lot of people are trying to ride this out in Galveston and some of the barrier islands. :(

Unlike Katrina, these people might be taking a crowbar to their roofs in the middle of a hurricane. That's assuming that they can bust a whole before drowning, which in most cases will be quite unlikely.

SpacLock

It's times like this that I'm glad I live in Michigan. Except for the fact that we constantly get bitch slapped by tornadoes.

besada

Banned
Tideas said:
If anyone is watching CNN, see this is why stupid ppl piss me off. When ppl tell you to evacuate, if you don't evacuate, not only do you endanger yourself, you endanger the people that's uspposed to come to your rescue.

stupid ppl

If you're talking about the ship, they were trying to leave when they broke down in the path of the storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom