• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Miguel said:
538px-New_Orleans_Levee_System.svg.png

Walks like a bowl, talks like a bowl...

I forgot New Orleans was 1 pixel wide.

Miguel

chubigans:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/weather/hurricane_evac.html

Pearland is in that area where the Orange basically is at a 90 degree angle (85ish, whatever)

Seems like it's not mandatory due to a technicality...I'd say have them at least head a bit northwest. If it hits the bay directly...as it seems to keep being predicted to do....most of west houston should be ok...or at least ok in the sense that it doesn't get totally fhuta'd (H IS FOR HOUSTON!)

mrbagdt

we face category 2 and it is CERTAIN DEATH.

i fucking hate the media and their coverage, all they do is scare the shit out of everyone (including me!).

the storm is headed right towards where i live, but i will wait til it hits and ride it out. if i lose power i will probably leave when it is past us, but til then, FUCK YOU IKE I JUST DID THIS SHIT A WEEK AGO

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Any Gaffers in the area take care of yourselves o_O (not that you should be reading this, FLEE YOU CRAZY BASTARDS! GAF WILL BE HERE TOMORROW! unless the server is in the area as well >.>)

Evlar

Banned
Just to give a concept of the size of this thing... We had coastal flooding and 20 foot waves yesterday, and we are 450 miles from Galveston (and around 350 miles from the eye of the storm at the time).

Dolphin

Banned
whytemyke said:
That's what's so incredible to me, is the sheer POWER of this thing. 700 miles wide is ridiculous. To put that into perspective, that's from New York City to Indianapolis.
I've read that some hurricanes unleash more kinetic energy than every nuclear warhead on earth put together.
mrbagdt said:

i fucking hate the media and their coverage, all they do is scare the shit out of everyone (including me!).

the storm is headed right towards where i live, but i will wait til it hits and ride it out. if i lose power i will probably leave when it is past us, but til then, FUCK YOU IKE I JUST DID THIS SHIT A WEEK AGO
NO MRBAGDT, FLEE, FLEE FOR THE HILLS FLEE FOR YOUR LIFE

iamblades

mrbagdt said:

It's not the media, its the NWS, and the urgency(bordering on hyperbole) serves a purpose. It's a warning, it is supposed to scare people enough to get the fuck out.

I think the 'certain death' is pretty damn accurate for people living close to the coast in Galveston if the storm hits as predicted.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

ToxicAdam

You'd think after watching all the handheld footage of what happened to people in SE Asia after that tsunami that people would GTFO of coastal Texas. There is nothing scarier in the world than when Mother Nature makes you it's bitch. It's a helpless feeling.

Miguel

I wonder if we can cause the LHC to open up a black hole in the eye of the storm.

Either the hurricane disappears...or Ike becomes more powerful than you can ever imagine....

Obi+Wan+Kenobi+01+Large.JPG

How long do you think it'll take Bush to get aide into his own state? A hell of a lot shorter of time than it did after Katrina I promise you that.

I can see Kanye in a few weeks "Told you motherfuckers."

Anyhow, to anyone living in the area, be safe, we hope for your well being and let us know how you're holding up.

Respect.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Miguel said:
chubigans:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/weather/hurricane_evac.html

Pearland is in that area where the Orange basically is at a 90 degree angle (85ish, whatever)

Seems like it's not mandatory due to a technicality...I'd say have them at least head a bit northwest. If it hits the bay directly...as it seems to keep being predicted to do....most of west houston should be ok...or at least ok in the sense that it doesn't get totally fhuta'd (H IS FOR HOUSTON!)
Gah, I'll give them a call today then. Thanks!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
permutated said:
How long do you think it'll take Bush to get aide into his own state? A hell of a lot shorter of time than it did after Katrina I promise you that.

In fairness, any post-Katrina hurricane is going to see a faster response.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
permutated said:

I can see Kanye in a few weeks "Told you motherfuckers."

Anyhow, to anyone living in the area, be safe, we hope for your well being and let us know how you're holding up.

Respect.

Hey, there are black people in Texas too!!!!!!!!

I am one of them!!!!

When my lights go out, I am going to have FEMA reimburse me for my steaks in the freezer and my beer.

Torquill

Rindain said:
Gustav was the fake-out
Felt pretty fuckin real to me, thanks.

gofreak said:
In fairness, any post-Katrina hurricane is going to see a faster response.
This. Anyone who isn't down here needs to stop acting like they have any clue what's going on. You don't know shit from national media coverage. It was hilarious watching nation vs. local coverage during Gustav. CNN and FOX were obviously looking for something terrible to happen. Didn't know the first fucking thing about how levees work, assumed that since it didn't hit New Orleans hard everyone else must be fucking fine...

"Omg look! Water coming out from under the levee! THere's a leak! Run! Run for your lives!" No you idiot, it's pumping water out...into a drain. Shit reminds me of that chick in the boat in Katrina who was acting like the water was deep, and those folks walked behind her. :lol

DrFunk said:
Have you seen the advisory for hurricane Katrina? It pretty much said the same thing. I hope all those there will be fine, but man, I got a bad feeling about this.

Edit:

WWUS74 KLIX 281550
NPWLIX

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

.HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED
STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.......more truth etc.....

damn, that shit is scary

Yup, that report was spot on. I sure hope this one isn't. Good luck people in it's path.

dskillzhtown said:
Hey, there are black people in Texas too!!!!!!!!

I am one of them!!!!

When my lights go out, I am going to have FEMA reimburse me for my steaks in the freezer and my beer.

I was partially joking, but tell me you got it, please...

Blader

mrbagdt said:

Why do I get the feeling we'll never hear from you again?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Torquill said:
It was hilarious watching nation vs. local coverage during Gustav. CNN and FOX were obviously looking for something terrible to happen. Didn't know the first fucking thing about how levees work, assumed that since it didn't hit New Orleans hard everyone else must be fucking fine...

John Stewart had it right with the competition during Gustav for 'most blown away reporter'..

There is definitely a fetish for disaster amongst the news organisations, but it makes sense. Big disaster = big news story. Andersen Cooper looks like he'll be at it again - in one of the videos linked here or in the other thread, it showed him asking the weather guy to email him where he should be located tonight in order to report from the worst of the hurricane..

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SSGMUN10000 said:
Well I am stuck here in downtown Houston. Wondering how the wind will be here.

The winds downtown will be bad, simply because they are funnelled through those skyscrapers. But hey, it will be a great day to fly a kite!

Torquill

mrbagdt said:

While I agree with you on the (national) media, do not underestimate a category 2.

Before Gustav I shrugged off anything lower than a cat 3 as well, but there's way more to it than that. A cat 2 that slows down and just...will...not...fall...apart (like Gustav) can be just as damaging as a cat 4/5 that falls apart at the first sight of land.

Sustained cat 2 winds can blow over brick buildings...I've seen it :D.

I have a friend who lives in College Station, Texas. It's not on the coast but close enough. I'm kinda worried about her--she's not leaving for anywhere else.

Zoe

So how are San Antonio and Dallas handling everything? All of the school districts in Austin are letting out early due to the influx of evacuees.

guess

JzeroT1437 said:
I have a friend who lives in College Station, Texas. It's not on the coast but close enough. I'm kinda worried about her--she's not leaving for anywhere else.

Your friend will be fine.

TomServo

dskillzhtown said:
The winds downtown will be bad, simply because they are funnelled through those skyscrapers. But hey, it will be a great day to fly a kite!

That's what this guy thought...

FayKiteSurfer.jpg

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I live in austin, and boy oh boy are we going to get some kickass weather because of this.

I got two uncles near houston who refuse to move.. One just got out of the hospital who was recently in a coma. Mufuga.

Maybe it's changed since last night, but they were saying when Ike makes landfall it'll only be a category 2 because it's windspeed will be 1 MPH less than what is necessary for a Cat 3. So, for all intents and purposes, it will be a Cat. 3.

Here in Austin though, they were saying we were only going to get a few inches of rain and some high winds. Not really concerned at all.

Jenga

Banned
I live in a small town about 50 miles south from Corpus. Seriously, no one gave a shit when it was still directed towards Corpus, only a few people boarded their houses. Although, I feel like a cock for being somewhat thankful it's going northward, I really hope anyone in ike's path makes it out alright.

seanoff

some of you had no idea.

it's not the wind that's dangerous here, it's the storm surge. If its a CAT3 when it hits carrying 20ft storm surge. Then good luck

The Storm surge will cause infinitely more damage than the wind and that is the prime danger. Galverston's sea wall might save that city, but at 15 - 16 feet it might be 6 feet too low. Other communities without such protection would just find themselves swimming.

if you are in the path, get out of the way. if you don't want to. See ya on the other side.

pestul

Guys, please don't underestimate this. Water is what kills people, not the winds. They're saying the surge will be as bad or worse than Katrina then GTFO now!

guess

seanoff said:
some of you had no idea.

it's not the wind that's dangerous here, it's the storm surge. If its a CAT3 when it hits carrying 20ft storm surge. Then good luck

The Storm surge will cause infinitely more damage than the wind and that is the prime danger. Galverston's sea wall might save that city, but at 15 - 16 feet it might be 6 feet too low. Other communities without such protection would just find themselves swimming.

if you are in the path, get out of the way. if you don't want to. See ya on the other side.

Well, other communities are already under water. Downtown galveston is under in certain parts. Water up to the hoods of a few cars.

seanoff said:
some of you had no idea.

Galveston is already flooding and it is low tide at the moment with the storm still a day off shore.

edit: oops, echo

DJ_Tet

Banned
Torquill said:
While I agree with you on the (national) media, do not underestimate a category 2.

Before Gustav I shrugged off anything lower than a cat 3 as well, but there's way more to it than that. A cat 2 that slows down and just...will...not...fall...apart (like Gustav) can be just as damaging as a cat 4/5 that falls apart at the first sight of land.

Sustained cat 2 winds can blow over brick buildings...I've seen it :D.

Yeah, Hugo in the late 80's destroyed Charleston as a Cat 2/3 border, and here in Charlotte it came through as a tropical storm. It was one of the craziest things I've ever been through, and we were without power for a week.

People shouldn't downplay hurricanes based on category alone, there are other factors like storm surge and how fast it is moving (and like you posted, how long it can maintain it's shape.)

Even though Hugo was a tropical storm when it came through Charlotte, there was a defined eye wall and everything. It really trashed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom