• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Ike: People Not Evacuating Face "Certain Death"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jme

Fragamemnon said:
I'm hearing a lot of people are trying to ride this out in Galveston and some of the barrier islands. :(

Unlike Katrina, these people might be taking a crowbar to their roofs in the middle of a hurricane. That's assuming that they can bust a whole before drowning, which in most cases will be quite unlikely.

That's assuming their building is still standing... or they even have a roof.

pestul

Yeah, it'll be more akin to the damage seen in Biloxi during Katrina.. you may not have to worry about risings waters if your house pulverized by the storm surge. :/

Krowley

Supposedly this is an image of Biloxi after katrina. Looks like it just washed houses away.

BiloxKatrina.jpg

Bad news for sure.

I'm in Austin, and I'm alternating between just worrying about everyone else and also worrying about myself. I'm definitely glad I don't live in Houston anymore. I evacuated from Rita and that was a 14-hour drive that I don't want to relive.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Solaros said:
:lol

I have some family in Tyler, TX who are riding this one out as well.
Tyler isnt really going to have a problem. They are further than naca-nowhere. Tyler is like 4 hours from the coast.

Im 75 miles inland at beltway 8 in I10 for anyone with access to google maps. But i sure as shit not going to be blogging.

I'm in Austin, and I'm alternating between just worrying about everyone else and also worrying about myself. I'm definitely glad I don't live in Houston anymore. I evacuated from Rita and that was a 14-hour drive that I don't want to relive.
They really fixed that this time. There is absolutely no one one the roads relative to what happened with Rita, if i were able to and so desired i could be further away in a snap.

Phoenix

Fragamemnon said:
I'm hearing a lot of people are trying to ride this out in Galveston and some of the barrier islands. :(

Unlike Katrina, these people might be taking a crowbar to their roofs in the middle of a hurricane. That's assuming that they can bust a whole before drowning, which in most cases will be quite unlikely.

Galveston I could somewhat understand, but if you're on a barrier island and you haven't evacuated - you are simply retarded. Get your ass to safer ground.

The wind does not respect a fool!

Phoenix

SpacLock said:
It's times like this that I'm glad I live in Michigan. Except for the fact that we constantly get bitch slapped by tornadoes.

I am actually far far more afraid of tornadoes than I am of hurricanes. While hurricanes do produce tornadoes, its really just the tornadoes that I worry about.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Footage of Coast Guard rescues on MSNBC.

People are going to start dying in just a few hours, as conditions worsen to a point where the rescue teams have to pull back. And still 12 hours until the worst of this hits. Going to be ugly.

"Police told a man who refused to leave the coast, to write his name and SSN on his arm, so he could be identified after the storm."

Solaros

captive said:
Tyler isnt really going to have a problem. They are further than naca-nowhere. Tyler is like 4 hours from the coast.

That is good to know.

My uncle just relocated to Houston though too and I haven't been able to get in touch or hear from him. He spent a couple decades in the Navy so atleast he knows how to swim. He lives on the northern side of Houston. I am safely, for the moment anyway, tucked away up here in Indiana. Good luck down there.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
whytemyke said:
(btw, I know there's a hurricane thread but after I saw the severity of this warning I figured it deserves it's own thread.)

21lveo3.jpg

Tideas

Banned
Goreomedy said:

People are going to start dying in just a few hours, as conditions worsen to a point where the rescue teams have to pull back. And still 12 hours until the worst of this hits. Going to be ugly.

"Police told a man who refused to leave the coast, to write his name and SSN on his arm, so he could be identified after the storm."

wouldn't the water wash away the ink?

Blader

Goreomedy said:

That's hilarious, in a morbid kind of way.

TomServo

greepoman said:
I hate to link foxnews but waves attacking Geraldo = gold. Only way it could get better if he was washed out to sea.

But then we'd never find out what's inside of Al Capone's vault... oh wait...

yoopoo

Banned
Gas prices are going up as much as a $1 in the south area :eek: AAA warns rest of the country can see a $.50 gas increase :0

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
yoopoo said:
Gas prices are going up as much as a $1 in the south area :eek: AAA warns rest of the country can see a $.50 gas increase :0

I went to bed last night with gas prices ~ $3.60. Woke up to gas prices at $4.20.

DJ_Tet

Banned
greepoman said:
I hate to link foxnews but waves attacking Geraldo = gold. Only way it could get better if he was washed out to sea:

11awgev.jpg

Video: http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video...alPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

:lol

What a dumbass. Glad three firefighters are there to check up on him.

He should be left to his own accord, if he's dumb enough to go down there during a storm and place himself at harms way, he should be at the bottom of the list as far as people being rescued.

Fjolle

Fuck. This looks crazy.
Is Galveston already flooded? It looks like is haven't started getting real windy yet?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Fjolle said:
Fuck. This looks crazy.
Is Galveston already flooded? It looks like is haven't started getting real windy yet?
yes the storm surge has already flooded parts of galveston.

B.K.

yoopoo said:

Yesterday, regular unleaded gas cost $3.69 where I live. Today, it's up to $4.09 and supreme is around $4.40. I've heard there are a couple stations charging $5.00 too.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
11awgev.jpg

Pahhahahahahaha. He is right about the water being filthy though. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom