• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy hell, that thing is huge. Is the Mexican government working to evacuate the area?

They undoubtedly are. The only problem was the complete lack of warning of the storms explosion into a 5+ storm in the later half of the day yesterday, and the lack of road infrastructure (there's only a couple routes out, one 2 lane highway and a couple mountain roads), though the areas of landfall near the center of the hurricane are smaller villiages. Landfall is just 12ish hours away already.

This is a shitty ask science question, but couldn't we (eventually) launch an unmanned, hypersonic jet through the heart of the hurricane? Something like mach 15. Wouldn't the velocity and the heat disrupt the whirlwinds?

The energy of a hurricane like this is so many orders of magnitude greater than that, it wouldn't even register to the storm. It handily eclipses the total energy use of the human race in a year, for example. Note, the usual question along these lines is 'why not use a nuclear weapon do disperse it", which also has the same answer.

They undoubtedly are. The only problem was the complete lack of warning of the storms explosion into a 5+ storm in the later half of the day yesterday. Landfall is just 12ish hours away already.

I thought it was weird this is the first I've heard about it. Hopefully they can get people in a solid building that can weather the storm. I'm worried about the rural areas though.

Posts on reddit report that tourists are being evacuated from resorts. Where to, I dunno - perhaps Guadalajara? There's not many places where people could evacuate to on such short notice.

Probably just to higher ground in buildings that a strong enough to get through the storm.

This is a shitty ask science question, but couldn't we (eventually) launch an unmanned, hypersonic jet through the heart of the hurricane? Something like mach 15. Wouldn't the velocity and the heat disrupt the whirlwinds?

Hurricanes are necessary, the help redistribute heat.

Hurricanes need to happen, they are intrisical parts of the atmosphere / climate.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Taking a wobble/turn to the right.

rb_lalo-animated.gif

Projecting the exact path is very difficult, as we have literally nothing to compare it with.

Actually, its max sustained of 200 now since the OP posted. And actually probably higher at the moment.

The theoretical limit is 220 mph. The fact this storm has us talking about theoretical limits is mind boggling.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am very worried for the poor people, that kind of hurricane on an third world
country is a bad mix. Just in Colima there are more than 200,000 people living on this kind of "houses" :

dbf.jpg

ea162900a5c29c63d032dcad4b9db982.jpg

POBREZA-938x535.jpg

Specially located near the coast , surely they will be blow away. Army has been evacuating the area since yesterday , hope the people go to refugees.

Damn....I hope they get out. Looks like even a category 3 would have done damage there so hopefully the evacuation started awhile back.

Despera

Banned
Just saw our local news stations report on this thing, calling it "potentially the biggest hurricane to hit that side of the pacific on record". I thought they were exaggerating like they always do, until I found this thread...

Stay safe Mexico-GAF.

HUELEN10

They need to rip the metal sheeting off the roofs of some of the smaller shack-style houses or dismantle the tables, or get plywood or SOMETHING to cover every window.

I mean... Shit, there are gonna be kids that DIE at a shelter like this. I had no idea about this storm at all, how could it have happened so quickly? So many people are gonna die, and this isn't like Hurricane Yolanda/Hayan and the pacific, or a Hati earthquake or something like that, as far as Americans like me go; These are quite literally our next door neighbors,

Isn't there anything we can do while there's still time? I mean, we have hours here so we can do something. But... I mean, fuck. Can't we do something?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Well shit. My mom said her Facebook feed blew up this morning when family was asking for rides out of the city and places to stay. That's fucking crazy.

1. Confidence is high that Patricia will make landfall in the
hurricane warning area along the coast of Mexico as an extremely
dangerous category 5 hurricane this afternoon or evening.
Preparations to protect life and property in the hurricane warning
area should have been completed, or rushed to completion, as
tropical storm conditions are spreading across the area. Residents
in low-lying areas near the coast in the hurricane warning area
should evacuate immediately, since the storm surge could be
catastrophic near and to the east of where the center makes
landfall.

2. In addition to the coastal impacts, very heavy rainfall is
likely to cause life-threatening flash floods and mud slides in the
Mexican states of Jalisco, Colima, Michoacan and Guerrero continuing
into Saturday.

3. At this time, the Category 5 winds are occurring over a very
small area near the center - about 15 miles across. A NOAA
Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate Patricia
before landfall to see what changes in intensity and structure have
occurred.

-Eddman-

Hi there. I'm in Guadalajara, very close to Puerto Vallarta where they expect the most damage. We are in the "calm before the storm" right now, it's raining lightly but the news are saying the worst part will come around 6-7 PM. My thoughts to everyone in Vallarta and places nearby.

Just read tweet from a meteorologist describing this as basically EF5 tornado in the form of a hurricane. Terrifying doesn't even begin to describe it.

Isn't there anything we can do while there's still time? I mean, we have hours here so we can do something. But... I mean, fuck. Can't we do something?

That's the problem with the rate that it intensified. You usually have days to plan in advance for hurricanes. Whether it be staying and buying canned food in the event of power outages, going to another state/somewhere out of its range, or taking advantage of whatever government plans are in place for evacuation. This thing hasn't given anyone any time to actually plan any of that.

HUELEN10

That's the problem with the rate that it intensified. You usually have days to plan in advance for hurricanes. Whether it be staying and buying canned food in the event of power outages, going to another state/somewhere out of its range, or taking advantage of whatever government plans are in place for evacuation. This thing hasn't given anyone any time to actually plan any of that.

Yeah, I know. Florida here, and we get at least 2 days to prepare.

But yeah, this is horrible.

They need to rip the metal sheeting off the roofs of some of the smaller shack-style houses or dismantle the tables, or get plywood or SOMETHING to cover every window.

I mean... Shit, there are gonna be kids that DIE at a shelter like this. I had no idea about this storm at all, how could it have happened so quickly? So many people are gonna die, and this isn't like Hurricane Yolanda/Hayan and the pacific, or a Hati earthquake or something like that, as far as Americans like me go; These are quite literally our next door neighbors,

Josh did something like that last year. They piled up furniture against a bunch of glass windows during Hurricane Odile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyljKCkqZes

Hi there. I'm in Guadalajara, very close to Puerto Vallarta where they expect the most damage. We are in the "calm before the storm" right now, it's raining lightly but the news are saying the worst part will come around 6-7 PM. My thoughts to everyone in Vallarta and places nearby.
Be safe

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
WTF are those people doing next to a window during a Cat 5... wth.

Edit: Oh wait, you were talking about the first video. Storm chasers. I got gas at that station many times, you never quite get used to seeing your hometown posted, especially when it's not a major city.

Damn, hope you stay safe.

I've only ever experienced a few tropical storms in Florida and that was pretty wild. Can't imagine a fucking category 5.

Skinpop

I've experienced some pretty bad typhoons in japan. it's hard to believe that this one is so much stronger.. scary stuff.

stay safe eddman!

HUELEN10

Please get to a safe place and stay there. Stay safe!

Guadalajara here, raining very lightly, cold weather, everything is okay for now, TapatioGAF stay safe and away from trees because they tend to fall on cars in strong storms. Hope the people in the coast get out safely. On the positive side, Lake Chapala is going to restore greatly after some of the worst droughts in its history.
:(

Well. Almost the whole pacific is waaay hotter than usual due to the El Niño. Unfortunately this is very bad and probably not the last event of this type this season.

Chococat

Whoah! Best of luck to Mexican peeps. That thing is a beast.

Also, well wishes for the southern states. Hope that additional rainfall doesn't cause flooding.

Yeah, I know. Florida here, and we get at least 2 days to prepare.

But yeah, this is horrible.

It literally is like a worst case scenario for a hurricane in every conceivable way. As posted above, there are homes in the area where it's going to hit that probably wouldn't even be able to hold up to a strong category 1 hurricane, it grew at a rapid rate that's going to hurt evacuation efforts, and its strength is literally off the scales. It's a panic situation but you can't afford to actually panic.

Culex

Banned
It's crazy how beautiful this storm is from space, yet how deadly it is in person.

I remember a few years ago there was a tri-hurricane system in the Atlantic off Africa moving west that was 190 mph, but it eventually fizzled out.

To put this in perspective, an F4 tornado has winds of 207 mph. This hurricane has sustained winds of 200mph. Any tornado the system spawns thats below an F4 will actually reduce winds

Patapwn

Time to get out the surf board

I am in awe of how fast this developed. Yesterday it was merely a small note in the news, and now it became a 200 MPH monster. Even here in the Northeast we are going to get the rain from its remmants, but I can't imagine how will be its landfall.

Stay safe.

This is some crazy shit. I have family in Guadalajara and just east in Tepa and this want even on their radar just a day or two ago. Hopefully most of the damage done is in non heavily populated areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom