• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane coming to XBLA

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
bPRxc.jpg

I'm at PAX East right now with early entry to the exhibitor's hall. Hydro Thunder confirmed playable here.

If anyone has any other questions about the stuff at PAX, ask now. I have to set up my space soon.

SuperPac

I really kinda hope Steve Ranck and some of the original Hydro Thunder (who also worked on that H2Overdrive game) are involved with this. Midway tried to duplicate the gameplay of Hydro Thunder a couple times and never quite got it right.

JRW

SuperPac said:
I really kinda hope Steve Ranck and some of the original Hydro Thunder (who also worked on that H2Overdrive game) are involved with this. Midway tried to duplicate the gameplay of Hydro Thunder a couple times and never quite got it right.

The only system it felt right on to me was Dreamcast ..for some reason they screwed it up afterwards, even on Xbox1 which was made years after Dreamcast version.

MechDX

JRW said:
The only system it felt right on to me was Dreamcast ..for some reason they screwed it up afterwards, even on Xbox1 which was made years after Dreamcast version.

Hydro Thunder was on the original XBOX??

Dacvak said:
bPRxc.jpg

I'm at PAX East right now with early entry to the exhibitor's hall. Hydro Thunder confirmed playable here.

If anyone has any other questions about the stuff at PAX, ask now. I have to set up my space soon.

Is HT coming to PSN?

So what's everybody's favorite boat? I used a thin, medium one. I looked it up, it's Tidal Blade (when you read it, you have to read it in the announcer's voice).

Miss Behave!

Screw an H2Overdrive console port, I want a national distribution of the motion cab first. :D I heard it was testing in Illinois, and that game would be seriously awesome with motion.

On topic, as long as the port is good, this is a must get for me, of course. One of midway's last home runs.

Oneself

FUCK YEAH.

errr Fuck no... PSN version please. I don't want to buy a 4th XBox360. 3RRODs are enough. =(

Anyways, buy this game 360 owners, it's arcade awesomeness at its finest.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
What is this HD remake that y'all are talking about? It just needs to be bumped to 1080p, with widescreen support. It already ran 640p at 60 fps on the Dreamcast.

I want to see videos and screenshots already.
mr jones said:
What is this HD remake that y'all are talking about? It just needs to be bumped to 1080p, with widescreen support. It already ran 640p at 60 fps on the Dreamcast.
Hydro Thunder ran at 30fps and 4:3 480P (640x480) on Dreamcast. It definitely needs HDing up.

SuperPac

Gryphter said:
So what's everybody's favorite boat? I used a thin, medium one. I looked it up, it's Tidal Blade (when you read it, you have to read it in the announcer's voice).

Miss Behave!

I use RAD HAZARD!

To me, there is no other boat.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I will buy it on 360, then buy it again on PSN if it gets there. Owned it on Xbox/N64 too.

Such an amazing, amazing game.

Jim

PR:

Vector Unit Brings Back Arcade Favorite With Hydro Thunder Hurricane

Exclusive Sequel Debuts at Penny Arcade Expo East

Boston, MA – March 26, 2010, Microsoft Game Studios and developer Vector Unit today announced Hydro Thunder Hurricane, an Xbox LIVE Arcade-exclusive sequel to the legendary Midway speedboat racing arcade game. Featuring all-new, over-the-top themed environments, rocket-powered speedboats, gorgeous visuals, and amazing dynamic water physics, Hydro Thunder Hurricane is the adrenaline dripping sequel fans have been waiting for.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane includes 8 brand new "theme park" environments, each set in a different location around the globe. Each world is packed with animated surprises, destructible objects, and special events that players trigger in-game. New game modes include Ring Master, a series of slalom-style challenges with progressive difficulties;Gauntlet, an explosive new take on time trial; and a series of multi-event Championships. Fan favorite speedboats from the original Hydro Thunder also make a return like Razorback, Cutthroat, and the flying saucer shaped Rad Hazard with beautifully redesigned models, multiple unlockable skins, and articulated boost animations with massive rockets folding out from hidden compartments. Each boat features unique handling characteristics.

"We're huge fans of the original Hydro Thunder," says Matt Small, Creative Director at Vector Unit. "There's so much there that already works -- the exhilarating boost speeds, the crazy shortcuts, the gigantic jumps and drop-offs. We knew we wanted to keep all of that -- even add more of it. At the same time, we had to bring something new to the table, something more than just recreating the original game with high-res graphics."

Technical Director Ralf Knoesel adds, "We decided to take the ideas that worked from the original, and then start over from scratch. The water physics engine is completely new. Everything affects the racing surface -- the boats leave wakes behind them that other boats can jump off or draft in, falling rocks and explosions create huge waves, we've got wave machines, whirlpools, the works. The water is always changing, so you never get exactly the same race twice."

Hydro Thunder Hurricane introduces support for 8-player online racing on Xbox LIVE.. The game also allows for local split screen multiplayer with up to 4 players -- or any combination of local and online play. In addition to races, players can team up in the new Rubber Ducky game mode.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane is showcasing at Penny Arcade Expo East at booth #811 this weekend. The game launches summer 2010, exclusively available only on Xbox LIVE Arcade.

I've uploaded the Hydro Thunder Hurricane PAX trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R_7REzHjCQ
May still be processing... It looks friggen awesome BTW.

TheDayday

Neo Member
Sahweeeeeeet!!!

Definitely next should be Rush 2049! My brothers and I probably lost hundreds of hours on those games for the Dreamcast.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
A sequel by different devs?

Hmm. Not sure what to make of that... :\

Can't wait to see the trailer! PROCESS FASTER!!!

Nab

Excitement killed.

They could've at least included the full original game with online play, THEN added all the bullshit they think they're going to be good at.

Not happy.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nab said:
Excitement killed.

They could've at least included the full original game with online play, THEN added all the bullshit they think they're going to be good at.

Not happy.
Or ported over H2Overdrive. I would have been thrilled with that.

Still waiting on the youtube trailer...

JRW

Nab said:
Excitement killed.

Not happy.

Are you kidding? I'm sure it will be just as fun and with all new tracks ..Ive been playing the original hydro thunder for years I'm ready for some new content!

Nab

JRW said:
Are you kidding? I'm sure it will be just as fun and with all new tracks ..Ive been playing the original hydro thunder for years I'm ready for some new content!

I'm all for new content. Just not at the expense of the original content that I wanted.

Sounds like it's just some new guys making a new game, using the name to bump up sales.

Pctx

Banned
ugh.
Aside from the nasty compression on the video....

Game looks okay but the physics look all wrong... oh well.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
HallwayGiant said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCE4C41KHiQ

While we wait for a higher quality version...
As a huge Hydro Thunder fan, that did not look good to me.

The biggest problem was when the boats hit the water after a huge fall...they don't "sink" into the water, they just plop on top like a piece of styrofoam. Plus the tracks don't look near as colorful as the original.

The worst thing is this game kinda kills any hope for a Hydro Thunder arcade port. Ugh. Damnit.

JRW

Nab said:
I'm all for new content. Just not at the expense of the original content that I wanted.

Sounds like it's just some new guys making a new game, using the name to bump up sales.

Damnit, Ok you made a good point there... we'll see how it turns out.

Jim said:

I find the lack of 60fps(being mentioned) disturbing. Don't disappoint me, Vector Unit.

If it was just a port of the Dreamcast game, scaled to 1080p then I'd expect it to be 60fps, no problem.

But this claim of "gorgeous visuals" has me worried. I don't care about 1080p, but I do care about 60fps in an arcade racing game. Sega's Superstar racing got away with it because it had Ryo Hazuki in it. You may have nostalgia on your side, Hydro Thunder, but don't think you can abuse it without consequences.

Split screen with online's always a nice feature though, I look forward to hearing more.

EDIT:
chubigans said:
As a huge Hydro Thunder fan, that did not look good to me.

The biggest problem was when the boats hit the water after a huge fall...they don't "sink" into the water, they just plop on top like a piece of styrofoam. Plus the tracks don't look near as colorful as the original.

The worst thing is this game kinda kills any hope for a Hydro Thunder arcade port. Ugh. Damnit.

Quoted for unfortunate truth. I just watched the trailer and that did not look like what I was expecting. Still might be fun, but those landings from the huge falls just look terrible. Where's the impact? Quantum Redshift did it better.

S1kkZ

dont like it: the dynamic of the dc version is missing in that trailer. and whats with the muted colors?

H2 Overdrive looks better to me. The colors aren't bright/loud enough in that trailer. I don't know, it just doesn't feel like Hydro Thunder.

Top Bottom