• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane coming to XBLA

From their website

Our team has a combined 22 years of experience on award winning projects including Spore, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Spiderwick Chronicles, Godfather, and Blood Wake. We've streamlined the best practices we learned on these projects and adapted them to fit the day to day needs of indie development.

Looks awesome!

JRW

RockmanWhore said:
Was this game any good? I always assumed it was a shitty Wave Race ripp off :lol I'm surprised to see a XBLA release.

It was awesome, challenging, a lot of jumps, huge drop offs, lots of tracks, hidden shortcuts, turbo boosting on the final stretch to pull ahead into 1st place at the last second.. Golden.

I loved wave race to but I'm having a hard time deciding which game I liked better.. They both rocked (N64 Waverace / Dreamcast Hydro Thunder)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
chubigans said:
The biggest problem was when the boats hit the water after a huge fall...they don't "sink" into the water, they just plop on top like a piece of styrofoam.
I agree with that part, but I thought otherwise they did a really good job of recreating Hydro Thunder's visuals in a new engine. The viewpoint is perfect, that shot of the ice shelf falling away and the dragon in the water looked right at home with the feel of the original.

"Muted colors"??? What the fuck are some of you crazies talking about?

Rew

That trailer just didn't do anything for me. I was a huge Hydro Thunder fan in my day, spending hours and hours on the arcade machine, and that looks as lifeless and crappy as something like Arctic Thunder or Off Road Thunder. If they are going to use the name, they need to live up to it.

Hopefully I am wrong though.

Kron

Banned
No sense of speed and wrong colour palette, Looks like a game redesigned for an audience that didn't want it.

Stupid developers.

JRW

Damn this needs more sense of speed ..this was the exact same issue I had with the Xbox1 version of the original hydro thunder ..felt like it was running in slow motion vs. Dreamcast version.

Ugh.

Looks fantastic! Totally looks like Hydro Thunder to me, lots of moments right out of the old arcade game. Speed looks a bit slow but I bet that's just to show off the enviroments, I'm sure there's faster speed classes.

Oneself

This is definitely not my daddy's Hydro Thunder. It doesn't look nearly as exciting as the original.
-_-

Still looking forward to it though. Now, were the fuck are you H2Overdrive??

Swittcher

Banned
H2Overdive looks better...

Because it's made by the team who developed the original Thunder.

Hurrican looks okay, it's got the track design right, but everything needs to be loudier, more colorful, and way, way faster.

THIS IS H2OVERDRIVE

h2overdrive.jpg

HK_Race_02.jpg

boat4.jpg

If this has online multi it will be amazing and superb fun racing online :p looks like the original stadium layout is in this too, good sweet track that.

Awesome, I was actually playing the 4-player cabinet at ESPNZone last week.

It made me want to drag out the Dreamcast. Now I won't have to.

Dan Yo

Banned
deejay8595 said:
DAMNNIT!!!!!.. Why not release this on PSN aswell? Im tired of XBL getting all the cool classic games...AHHHHHHHHH!!!! lololol:lol
Maybe it's time you buy a 360.

I swear sometimes these guys give the impression that they are deliberately torturing themselves due to some code they all swore by that states they may not support any other consoles.

Anyways, you know what I'd love to see re-released in HD with online and achievements? Ridge Racer 4. Best damn arcade racer ever in my opinion.

GWX

Ugh, tis looks terrible. I mean, it lacks the sense of speed and the great physics from the original.

I'm still waiting for a PC port of H2Overdrive for insane resolutions and 60fps awesomeness.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Diablohead said:
If this has online multi it will be amazing and superb fun racing online :p looks like the original stadium layout is in this too, good sweet track that.
The press release says 8 player online, 4 player splitscreen, and any combination online.

Well, now that everyone's flaccid again maybe we can start anticipating what it is versus being disappointed by what it isn't. It could still be a fun game, even if it isn't really HT. Using a name from a classic game sure can be a double-edged sword, sometimes.

jagowar

Looks awesome but I hope they fix that dropoff fall into the water part.... thats the only thing I didn't like about the look or feel from the trailer.

At first I was hyped, then that feeling piped down. Now I don't know how to feel, maybe sorta like a dreamcast clown, here comes the confused frown :(

SuperPac

I dunno what you guys are talking about with muted colors. This looks like a 'supercharged' update to the original Hydro Thunder. I played a shit-ton of Hydro Thunder in my day and this looks excellent. :)

ZZMitch

watership said:
I'm starting to get sick of psn begging in xbla threads. :\

This. I thought that shit was bannable now?

Trailer looks pretty good, not exactly what I was hoping for, but pretty good none the less.

Cahill

Banned
SuperPac said:
I dunno what you guys are talking about with muted colors. This looks like a 'supercharged' update to the original Hydro Thunder. I played a shit-ton of Hydro Thunder in my day and this looks excellent. :)

Looks pretty cool but REALLY needs to be sped up... especially when you watch the H2O vids.

Top Bottom