• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane coming to XBLA

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gameplay looks like Hydro Thunder, as usual, I don't get what all the early fuzz is about - it's looking good, and it's a sequel to Hydro Thunder - new tracks, new boats, and according to the post a few posts back, you can trigger new paths for the tracks...

If THAT doesn't sound good to you, then I don't know - I'll be waiting to download this XBLA game the day it releases, and enjoy the hell out of it...

cjelly said:
Contrary to what others have said, the colour palette looks fine to me.

My only problem is the lack of submerging boats...

Funny thing is not even H2Overdrive has that either, so I wonder if it's something they all wanted out or something...

HYYYYDROOOOOO THUNDERRRRRRRRRR

I really dug the PS1 version, hopefully other Midway arcade classics get resurrected too (SF Rush anyone?)

SuperPac

cjelly said:
Contrary to what others have said, the colour palette looks fine to me.

My only problem is the lack of submerging boats...

Submerging boats? I don't think the first Hydro Thunder had that.

pakkit

Banned
SuperPac said:
When the boats fell a far distance they'd land on the water and get submerged slightly, here they just land on the water, which makes no sense given the physics.

Schmitty said:
Rampage please

Sure, why not?

10zmteq.jpg

pakkit said:
When the boats fell a far distance they'd land on the water and get submerged slightly, here they just land on the water, which makes no sense given the physics.
Hold UP after a jump and they dive and you can go under things.

Pretty sure that was hydro thunder, I know wave race 64 does it also.

Agent X

chubigans said:
That's hardly fair in this case Dragona. No one knew of this game's existence until they saw it on the show floor at PAX on the 360. Then people asked if it was on PSN as well (as it's typically been a multifranchise game). Then we got the press release of exclusivity and the fact that MS owns the Hydro Thunder license, a surprise even to me.

Ban after the press release, sure, but it's not fair to ban the earlier users asking about the game. Not fair at all. It wasn't port begging, just a simple question. (it's port begging after the facts are in, I think.)

I completely agree with chubigans. Early in the thread, there was no indication that this particular game was Xbox 360 exclusive, and keeping in mind the franchise's past history of being multiplatform, I didn't perceive any problem with people hoping it would be released on a different system.

For what it's worth, I felt the same way in the threads about the new NBA Jam game for Wii. Both Hydro Thunder and NBA Jam have a lot in common...they debuted as arcade games by Midway, then were released on multiple home video game consoles, then had other sequels/spinoffs (in the arcades and at home) before fading into obscurity. They're long lapsed franchises that are seeing revivals...so why wouldn't someone be excited about the game and want it for their preferred system, knowing that previous entries were multiplatform?

Ninja Scooter said:
It's not begging and it's not derailing the thread. Stop being a fucking crybaby.

You know what's worse that port begging? Ban begging or constantly crying that this and that should be "ban worthy" just because you can't deal with or just ignore simple, innocent comments on an Internet forum without running to the mods like a crying child.

I agree with this too.

I think maybe the moderation staff needs to define (or redefine) what constitutes bannable "port begging". There's a clear difference in attitude between "This game looks great, hope they make it for my system too" and "Developer XYZ is stupid for making this game only for your dumb system, they should've made it for my system instead because it's much better".

It's not always "black or white", and the distinction should be made between people who express a genuine desire to see a game be ported over to their system of choice, and people who are being antagonistic about a game being exclusive to a single system. I've seen examples of both types of behavior in this thread...and I've seen the antagonistic attitude coming from both sides of the aisle as well.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
BACK ON TOPIC!

More gameplay videos.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/28633 - Storming Asgard
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/28634 - Neo Lake Powell

Three things.

1. The guy in the first video can't control the boat to save his life, while the guy in the second video must be one of the developers.
2. The boats jump, the old trick to get free boost at the start appears to work, and there's shortcuts a-plenty... yeah, this is more than an In Name Only sequel.
3. This has to rival WipEout HD for the crown of prettiest graphics for a downloadable title. :D

Dawkins

For me it just doesn't capture the arcade spirit of the original Midway game. It has this very unique, serious "Microsoft Game Studios" PC style. Reminds me more of Blood Wake style-wise. That patrol boat in the clips is so boring. Game needs a more self-ironic attitude.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dawkins said:
Feminds me more of Blood Wake style-wise.
Well, the two leads from Vector Unit DID work on Blood Wake, does that explain it?
That patrol boat in the clips is so boring. Game needs a more self-ironic attitude.
Yeah, where's the Wilheim Scream when the boat makes contact with another boat using the Mighty Hull attack? In fact, I haven't seen the Mighty Hull attack at all in the clips so far. Are they going to add that in?

Apath

Agent X said:
I completely agree with chubigans. Etc.
Tthis isn't just exclusive to this thread. I'd say 90% of games announced for XBLA has a discussion about a PSN version as well. Hell, probably more than 90%, and it's about time a thread has actually been made an example of. Just saying that enough is enough -- so I agree with the bannings (save it isn't a permaban =P).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kenak said:
Tthis isn't just exclusive to this thread. I'd say 90% of games announced for XBLA has a discussion about a PSN version as well. Hell, probably more than 90%, and it's about time a thread has actually been made an example of. Just saying that enough is enough -- so I agree with the bannings (save it isn't a permaban =P).
But it wasn't announced for XBLA at the start of the thread. No one knew anything about the game until they spotted a 360 kiosk of Hydro Thunder. Which is why people asked if there was a PS3 version too.

I repeat: this game was not formally announced for any platform until Jim put up the PR in this thread (and when Major Nelson confirmed it slightly before then). That's why it wasn't in any way port begging.

I PMed Dragona to reconsider. But anyways, back to HDH...

ZZMitch

chubigans said:
But it wasn't announced for XBLA at the start of the thread. No one knew anything about the game until they spotted a 360 kiosk of Hydro Thunder. Which is why people asked if there was a PS3 version too.

I repeat: this game was not formally announced for any platform until Jim put up the PR in this thread (and when Major Nelson confirmed it slightly before then). That's why it wasn't in any way port begging.

I PMed Dragona to reconsider. But anyways, back to HDH...
Doesn't the op say it was for xbla?

ZZMitch said:
Doesn't the op say it was for xbla?

the wonders of edited OPs. Initially it was just announced with very little information, granted it did say it was for XBLA but games get announced for XBLA and then other platforms later all the time. Other than that there was no info about whether or not this was a port, or that MS had the exclusive rights. I just don't get why its so bad for someone, in that scenario, to say "Cool hope it comes to PSN/Wiiware!", without any intent to troll or derail a topic.

oh well enough's enough I guess. Don't need to derail the topic any further. I just think it sucks people can get banned for the most random and simple things just because they don't keep up with all the ins and outs of the gaming forum, and what is and isn't banned on a regular basis.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
FFS, just port the original.

Also, SF Rush 2049

Those games fucking owned me on the DC>

Edit: seems this might be some sort of licensing thing where MS swept in and nabbed the license but probably not the code for the original?

Just make the boats sink when they land.

mujun

Ninja Scooter said:
oh well enough's enough I guess. Don't need to derail the topic any further. I just think it sucks people can get banned for the most random and simple things just because they don't keep up with all the ins and outs of the gaming forum, and what is and isn't banned on a regular basis.

Your definition of "random" seems pretty random to me. There is logic to each rule as to what will get you banned, you don't need to think to hard to see what it is. Post info from a site known for making bullshit up, get banned. Post a meme that has been abused to all hell and back, get banned. Port beg in a thread, something which derails threads pretty reliably, get banned.

It's not like people are getting banned for mentioning the name of a fruit a certain mod hates or something like that, that would be random :D

Nasreddin

pakkit said:

Yeah, this needs to be fixed.

The rest of the game is awesome, especially the track design is creative and stunning. Day one!

Bizzyb

Banned
Man I used to play the crap out of this game.

"Miss-B-havin"

:lol

awesome game. Def looking forward to this one....I miss Dreamcast...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If it was 60 fps, you would think it'd be plastered all over the press release.

Anyways, this looks cool. I played a Hydro Thunder on the Dreamcast, 'twas fun.
I'd also like to see Rush 2049 given a similar treatment. I loved the stunt mode with all the crazy jumps, so good.

Rapstah

Bizzyb said:
Man I used to play the crap out of this game.

"Miss-B-havin"

:lol

awesome game. Def looking forward to this one....I miss Dreamcast...
You obviously didn't play it enough, it's "Miss B-have". Turn in your Hydro Thunder Championship License™.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
My hopes have been diminished ; ;

I want the original

I must have put 500+ hours into that game on my PS1, my god the tarzan call never got old, smashing through the cathedral in Venice was amazing, New York Disaster with its shortcuts was awesome, and the arctic stage with the captain and his boat trying to harpoon me and a whale lol

The memories ; ;

Haunted

I'm just happy we're getting a current generation water racing game after being teased by Wii Sports Resort.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
SuperPac said:
I played the original at an arcade today, the boats do submerge briefly after a long fall.

I hope they fix that and add the Mighty Hull attack back.

In other news, I think I finally have the boat jumping down pat in the arcade version now, after all these years. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Watching those 1up and Gametrailers vids gave me a great feeling - the shortcuts are nuts, and the graphics look pretty damn good, especially since they're all cam vids anyways...

And again, not even H2Overdrive has "submerging boats" so you're straight out of luck wherever you turn anyways for a new water racer.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
New interview about the game

http://www.gameplaybook.com/news/hydro-thunder-hurricane-interview-xbox-live/

Some things to glean from it:

Microsoft did get the code to the original Hydro Thunder as part of the IP acquisition, and VU did take a look at the code during development to get an idea of what works with boat racing. They thought about doing a port of the original, but went with the sequel route to see what they can really do with the X360 hardware.

Rubber Ducky mode is like the Cat and Mouse mode from PGR- a group of 6 or 8 players is split into two teams, with one player being the Rubber Ducky. The goal for each team is to get their Rubber Ducky across the finish line first, protect your duck, and run interference on the other team's duck.

VU hasn't played H2Overdrive yet- they have the same problem as me and can't find an arcade that has it- but they have studied video clips of the game for inspiration.

VU would love to have a shot at reviving San Francisco Rush. Cue my noisy squeeing. :D

Dan Yo

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
New interview about the game

http://www.gameplaybook.com/news/hydro-thunder-hurricane-interview-xbox-live/

Some things to glean from it:

Microsoft did get the code to the original Hydro Thunder as part of the IP acquisition, and VU did take a look at the code during development to get an idea of what works with boat racing. They thought about doing a port of the original, but went with the sequel route to see what they can really do with the X360 hardware.

Rubber Ducky mode is like the Cat and Mouse mode from PGR- a group of 6 or 8 players is split into two teams, with one player being the Rubber Ducky. The goal for each team is to get their Rubber Ducky across the finish line first, protect your duck, and run interference on the other team's duck.

VU hasn't played H2Overdrive yet- they have the same problem as me and can't find an arcade that has it- but they have studied video clips of the game for inspiration.

VU would love to have a shot at reviving San Francisco Rush. Cue my noisy squeeing. :D
Very cool info. What I'd give for Beetle Adventure Racing on XBLA as well.

Played at PAX East. It was one of the highlights of my trip, never played a Hydro Thunder game before so I was pretty stoked about the wave physics and all. Can't wait.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The music isn't THAT bad. The sound FX do need some work, though.

I seriously can't wait for this bad boy to be released. :D

Top Bottom