• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hydro Thunder Hurricane coming to XBLA

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Lard said:
Should be on a disc.

DLC only games are fucking absolutely inexcusable under any circumstances.
I don't want to tell you how to live, but I think it might do you some good to channel that negative energy into a crusade against something that would have a real effect on the world.

jagowar

V_Ben said:
Wow. So it turns out Microsoft own hydro thunder now? Check the giant bomb preview. Game looks amazing!

Other sites reported the same thing.... crazy nobody knew this ahead of time (unless they did and I just missed it).

This IMO was a really good license for microsoft to pick up.... I imagine we will see alot of games in the future based on the hydro thunder brand.

Apath

Leatherface said:
It comes off a pretentious and childish and I have no problem flaming someone up if I get ripped on for a stupid reason. :\
It's just that shit like this happens to just about EVERY XBLA arcade thread. Shit seriously gets old. Port begging is often looked down upon, but it seems when it comes to XBLA games it's A-Okay. It's not just you, so don't take it personally.

EDIT: Proven wrong in 1 o_O

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dural said:
Looks good to me and as was mentioned Hydro Thunder wasn't blazing fast unless using boost.

So did MS buy the Hydro Thunder IP?
According to Kotaku, yes.

A year ago, Small said, Microsoft obtained the Hydro Thunder license from Midway, and the game certainly looks like its namesake — a boat-racing game set on exaggerated theme-park-style tracks, full of speed boosts power-ups, jumps and statues of angry gods.

The game itself looks nice, and I like the track design, but I still want the original. I do hope that the original tracks become available as DLC down the road, at least.

twinturbo2 said:
The game itself looks nice, and I like the track design, but I still want the original. I do hope that the original tracks become available as DLC down the road, at least.
Yes, inclusion of the original tracks would be nice. As it is, I'm happy that it's all new rather than just another re-release.

ZZMitch

Wow, thread just became a graveyard! Thats what happens!

Anyway, you guys say Giantbomb has a vid up? I am on my phone so, I cant check.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dragona Akehi said:
Some people still haven't learned that port begging will net them an instaban.
That's hardly fair in this case Dragona. No one knew of this game's existence until they saw it on the show floor at PAX on the 360. Then people asked if it was on PSN as well (as it's typically been a multifranchise game). Then we got the press release of exclusivity and the fact that MS owns the Hydro Thunder license, a surprise even to me.

Ban after the press release, sure, but it's not fair to ban the earlier users asking about the game. Not fair at all. It wasn't port begging, just a simple question. (it's port begging after the facts are in, I think.)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
V_Ben said:
I wanna know this too.
I doubt we will find out if MS picked up any other Midway IPs until they announce them.

These are the IPs that WB picked up. Looks like we won't get a Rush 2049 any time soon. :(

Warner Bros. has contacted the United States Patent and Trademark Office to transfer proprietorship of the following Midway trademarks

Blitz Overtime
The Hour of Victory
San Francisco Rush 2049
San Francisco Rush: The Rock Alcatraz Edition
Badlands
Fireblade
Roadblasters
Joust
Defender
Robotron 2084
Sinistar
Hard Drivin’
Wheelman
Game Party
Touchmaster

V_Ben

Banned
cjelly said:
I doubt we will find out if MS picked up any other Midway IPs until they announce them.

These are the IPs that WB picked up. Looks like we won't get a Rush 2049 any time soon. :(

Those aren't all of them. Not by a long shot. No MK means that that list sure as heck isn't complete :D

TheOddOne

chubigans said:
That's hardly fair in this case Dragona. No one knew of this game's existence until they saw it on the show floor at PAX on the 360. Then people asked if it was on PSN as well (as it's typically been a multifranchise game). Then we got the press release of exclusivity and the fact that MS owns the Hydro Thunder license, a surprise even to me.

Ban after the press release, sure, but it's not fair to ban the earlier users asking about the game. Not fair at all. It wasn't port begging, just a simple question. (it's port begging after the facts are in, I think.)
No offense, but no thread should have port begging.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I wonder if the IP pick up was for just Hydro Thunder or for all of Midway Thunder racing games, because I would not mind seeing a revival of Arctic Thunder.

Grecco

cjelly said:

Hope we get some of those for Gameroom.

geeko

Alphahawk said:
Are you all really complaining about a new Hydro Thunder game? Really? Really?

Not me. I think it's going to be great fun and can't wait. You know whats even better, now not only do we get a sequel to Hydro Thunder but we also get a spiritual sequel to Hydro Thunder called H20verdrive. 2 awesome looking boat racing games. AWESOME!!!!

Edit: people shouldn't complain about hydro thunder when they have 2 very similar games to choose from.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
cjelly said:

?

Rush The Rock and Rush 2049 is under WB's control. They gotta use 'em!

Rctdaemon

A lot of my excitement was washed away by the trailer. It just didn't capture the speed or intensity that the original had. I'll still try it, but I'm not as excited as I was when Hydro Thunder was first mentioned yesterday.

bdouble

Yeah that didn't look anywhere near as good as H2Overdrive. It didn't even look like the original much. Tracks seem cramped and narrow. Is it a remake or what?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If anyone is going to PAX East to play the game, and you see any of the devteam members there, please nag them into offering the original Hydro Thunder tracks as DLC. Thanks in advance. :D

scitek

TheOddOne said:
No offense, but no thread should have port begging.

I don't think he disagrees with you, he's just saying the people banned before the fact that it's Xbox 360 exclusive was even known weren't port begging, just asking if it will be multiplatform or not.

Dawkins

That youtube vid looks horrible. Graphics look generic and somehow it lost all of its charm. Hell, I played Hydro Thunder on my Dreamcast last weekend and this download piece cannot capture the experience from what you can see in the vid.

Also, just like with Afterburner Climax, there is absolutely no excuse for bringing it as a shitty download title.

All the hands-on impressions seem positive. It does seem a little slow in the vids, but then that's probably because I've been playing Wipeout HD this week, and nothing to do with it not being as fast as the original Hydro Thunder.

It doesn't all look bland either, the levels shown later in that trailer are far brighter and more colourful - not to mention that all this stuff looks much better when you see it on your own TV. Even Mario Kart looks a bit dull on YouTube.

Just want to know when this will be hitting XBLA.

Monty Mole said:
All the hands-on impressions seem positive. It does seem a little slow in the vids, but then that's probably because I've been playing Wipeout HD this week, and nothing to do with it not being as fast as the original Hydro Thunder.

It doesn't all look bland either, the levels shown later in that trailer are far brighter and more colourful - not to mention that all this stuff looks much better when you see it on your own TV. Even Mario Kart looks a bit dull on YouTube.

Just want to know when this will be hitting XBLA.
Weren't there really slow boats in the original Hydro Thunder as well? I remember it beeing quite like quantum redshift, started out really slow and when you get to the faster classes, the shit really hits the fan. Like I said, it looks awesome and I don't get the hate (not that there is much hate anyway....), it looks completely true to the "franchise".

twinturbo2 said:
Keeping the hype train going... I found the official Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hydro-Thunder-Hurricane/337059928238

They have some new screenshots, one with a description of the Gauntlet mode, and another that reveals that the game is taking a page from Split Second with a powerup that can trigger changes to the track.
Stuff like the giant frog and the huge hammer guy in the stages hitting the water to make it ripple, sounds awesome :D

I love this generation, so many good sequels/remakes that soon I can retire my Dreamcast.

Top Bottom