• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m afraid it’s been 9 years…since Metal Gear Solid V released

Synless

I had never been more dissatisfied with game as MGSV. The trailers were phenomenal, MGS: Ground Zeroes was fantastic… and then the game hit. Barren as fuck wasteland, sure the gameplay was great but what did it matter when nothing existed. Don’t get me started on the WORST story entry of the series.

Bojji

Worst Metal Gear Solid, still good game.

Death Stranding was much better "Hideo Kojima game" than this, despite weird/clunky gameplay.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It was an amazing experience until the final chapters. I remember playing some repetitive elements in the last chapters, which made me think the game was rushed to completion. I've never felt this way with any other game before. In my opinion, it's a game that missed the chance to become a GOAT at the last moment. For me, it ranks after MGS 3, MGS 1 and Peace Walker.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
That's definitely one title that could benefit Konami, to release on the Switch.

Edit: that's one good thing about the switch, is that a re release never feel out of place. Or too old or too late.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought Ground Zeroes was great, Phantom Pain felt like they took a handheld game" Peace Walker" and made it into a mainline game.
If they gutted all that shit out and streamline it to something more like Ground Zeroes it would have been better.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Very good gameplay, game never felt boring to me. Story was so-so and the bosses were really lacking, which is a shame because bosses are the most memorable parts for me in Metal Gear games.

Still had a lot of fun with it, wouldn't mind a replay.

Ground Zeroes > Phantom Pain.
I was a bit let down when the final game happened to not have any bases at the level of the one we get to explore in Ground Zeroes.

King Dazzar

I loved my time with it. That was back on PC. I would love it to get some net-gen love on console. Doesnt have to be much, just native 4k, 60fps and HDR would be nice. And some haptics and adaptive triggers on top would be great.

Arachnid

Pain.

In that time, the only other god tier stealth games to come out were Hitman and Dishonored 2. No new MGS. No new Splinter Cell.

Last edited:

Gp1

One of the greatest games of that generation. The gameplay/gunplay is sublime and i like the peace walker base elements in there.

It's sad that (just like FFXV) that they never "completed" those last chapters.

The_hunter

Very good gameplay, game never felt boring to me. Story was so-so and the bosses were really lacking, which is a shame because bosses are the most memorable parts for me in Metal Gear games.

Still had a lot of fun with it, wouldn't mind a replay.

I was a bit let down when the final game happened to not have any bases at the level of the one we get to explore in Ground Zeroes.
I also never felt bored with this game, It's an open world game done right.

gow3isben

I dropped it bored the crap out of me for reference I’ve played half of 3 and all of 4 which were good

I dropped 3 because of life reasons not because it was bad unlike 5 which is why I’m pumped about the remake

Last edited:

Jesb

I never got around to playing through GZ or PP. It never really grabbed me like others in the series.

SkylineRKR

The best gameplay and the most boring MGS game at the same time. Ground Zeroes was from a narrative and open world design level pretty much perfect. It set up a cunning and sadistic villain, Big Boss spoke quite a bit more and the map wasn't bloated. They could've gone with these semi open zones instead. And they could've opted for Hayter which was probably far cheaper to hire than Kiefer. Budget spending of this project went places.

Josemayuste

Exactly my thoughts. There was one.. but not even remotely close to the size and complexity of the Ground Zeroes one..

One located in Africa, where a Skulls boss fight took place, there was another one where Metal Gear was stored in, but it left a bittersweet taste after I realized that the way into it was larger that the base itself ..

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It was a hugely disappointing game for me. The gameplay mechanics were incredible, but the open-world design was so unfocused, and I hated all the base-building mechanics. So many distractions from the actual fun. I would've been much more into an expanded version of Ground Zeroes - that size of map for a given area felt about right.

Not that it'll ever happen, but a do-over would be nice.

Last edited:

Bojji

Really? Never noticed that, tbh.

It's technically the same engine but there is no area in TPP that has level of denisity of GZ - both open world areas are barren as fuck most of the time. Plus SSR is disabled in open world area of TPP (allowed only in base) but it's everywhere in GZ.

I just played opening of GZ in 4K and it looks incredible with auto HDR.

iBZ0tT7.jpeg

Kagrenac

Neo Member
At that time, I had never been more hyped about anything in my life. Damn time flies as if we're smoking the phantom cigar.

Melfice7

One of the many games that was unnecessarily open world, still the best mgs gameplay wise but the worst story wise

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I thought it kind of sucked myself compared to the others like it was clearly unfinished.. 🤷‍♂️

I would rate them

1. MGS
2. MGS3
3. MGS4
4. MGS2
5. MGS5

Kerotan

Doctor:
"You've been in a coma for 9 years"

Heart rate:
ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Me:
Oh great can't wait to play Metal Gear 6, 7 and is 8 out yet?"

Doctor:
I'm afraid....

Heart rate:
ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ____________________
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

All I'll remember from this game is feeling excited about the story after the cool introduction sequence and being hugely disappointed that the story goes nowhere after that. I then got around 30 hours in, dropped it and thought 'what is the point?'.

A very good stealth action game that I don't think has been topped gameplay wise in the genre, but a fucking terrible MGS game.

Last edited:

solidus12

You already know that Phantom Pain was PS4 Pro enhanced with a higher resolution (1440p) and a much more consistent 60fps.

But did you know that the Definitive Experience of the game has the same Pro enhancements with Ground Zeroes?

Standalone Ground Zeroes never got a PS4 Pro patch.

WorldHero

Unfinished story and game. An insult to fans of the series. I see why Kojima was let go, he couldn't finish the game despite given more money and time.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
I bet if Kojima made mgs 6 instead of death stranding it would have been the exact same game except with big boss trying to build outer haven

menmustmow

Banned
Venom never should have been a character. 3/4 of the game should've been Big Boss creating Outer Heaven with soldiers you pulled and developed from the battlefield. Named them, upgraded their stats, brought them back to health.

then the big switch-a-roo where suddenly you play as a young Snake for the final 1/4, killing the same soldiers you just raised as you infiltrate Outer Heaven to kill Big Boss.

The worst of them all, you could see Konami just released whatever was finished and some people gobbled it up like it was some kind of masterpiece, what a bunch of clowns.

I mean, it was a big wasteland… of nothing, the joke can’t get more meta than that.

That was Kojima fault, not Konami. He was taking forever, allocated so much money on a ton of tracks to be approved for copyright only to not use like 40% of them in the game (its said in some documentary). Guy was burning through Konami's cash like wildfire and they just decided to cut their losses which from a business point makes sense. Not to mention they probably got even more annoyed knowing he allocated some of his time to Silent Hills instead of finishing MGS 5 first. Every game has a budget, you cant just go indefinately until the whole bank account is empty.

Last edited:

solidus12

I’m replaying the game using the MGS3 camo uniform and bandana…

CAN’T WAIT for MGS Delta Snake Eater !!!

The game where Kojima had reached an absolute gameplay peak.

perfection-perfect.gif

In an alternate history, the story would have been finished properly and we would have been celebrating it as one of the best games of it's generation.

lordrand11

115.jpg

The Phantom Pain was released on September 1, 2015. What are your thoughts about the game now? Have they changed over time? I was so hyped about it and it mostly delivered. The story was somewhat lacking but the gameplay was awesome. I haven't returned to it in many years but now could be a good time to do few side missions again. I'm suprised that I didn't see a thread about this yet.

Hot take, but MGSV's open world was far inferior to the detail and nuance of MGSIV. I enjoyed it enough but it wasn't worth the full purchase price.

Thaedolus

I’m due for a replay. Gameplay wise? Phenomenal, incredibly fun game with all that Kojima magic. Story wise? Meh…it wasn’t just the half baked ending, the presentation just didn’t work in a lot of ways for me. The series peaked at 3 in that regard, but 5’s gameplay is the most refined, coolest shit you could’ve asked for, once you get the hang of it.

Mortisfacio

My game got corrupted (PC) so I never beat this game. I told myself one day I would go back and finish it... But that save file bug at launch really pissed me off.

Top Bottom