• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Am Alive |OT| It's Actually Alive!

Shiggy

A friend of mine who is reviewing the game said he was actually enjoying it, but it felt a bit too linear to his taste, but overall had fun with it (he also said that the game is surprisingly hard).

Does he think it's good for a downloadable title or for a retail title? Generally speaking, reviewers seem to have much lower standards for downloadable title (especially when it comes to Nintendo services, but that's a different topic).

MAN I wanna play this so badly.

Apparently, the ONLY post-apocalyptic game that doesn't feature anything supernatural.

So this is pretty much the closest we get to The Road: The Game.

Even though The Road really couldn't work as a game, I agree. A lot of GAFers were poopooing the last trailer while I was hyped beyond belief.

Also, did Advance Wars: Days of Ruin feature anything supernatural? There was a lot of anime and scifi silliness, but it thankfully didn't go in a supernatural direction.

bubnbob

Banned
I just want to know the game's length and PS3 release date. If its 2 hours long, I'll pass.

So if it's 10 hours long and not coming to PS3 will you still play it? Just want to know the reasoning to your needless criteria. Does it have to do 20 jumping jacks too?

Shiggy

So if it's 10 hours long and not coming to PS3 will you still play it? Just want to know the reasoning to your needless criteria. Does it have to do 20 jumping jacks too?

Perhaps he doesn't think that a 2 hour title is worth 15€ when there are many other, highly praised titles available for the same price.

I don't think this game is too long, it basically only had a development time of 1.5 years, it is a download-only title, and it's from a team not known for huge blockbusters.

RPGCrazied

Uh. I don't own a 360. If you think $15 for a 2 hour game is enough for you, by all means buy it.

The Shift

Banned
The game was reviewed on Good Game (Australian TV show) tonight. It looks nice for what it is and the reviewers did seem to get into the meat and bones of the gameplay hooks like how the stamina system works, favours, limited ammo and no ammo hold-ups amongst other things. Looks decent considering the development hell it has endured.

CyReN

Destructoid - 8.5
IGN - 4.5

Gamespot Review

Good
  • Tough choices effect your and others' survival
  • Unnerving psychological combat system
  • Constant tension in all of your actions
  • Intriguing story elements conveyed through background details
  • Suffocating visual and audio design heighten emotional connection

Bad
  • Intrusive heads-up display clashes with the raw aesthetics
  • Unnecessary moments of hand-holding.

Videogamer Review - 7/10

Good
It's good when it's a struggle
Intriguing combat mechanics

Bad
Becomes too generic towards the end
Protagonist feels lifeless

thesixthaxis - 4/10

Pros:

Good lighting effects.
Well realised climbing mechanic.

Cons:

Terrible audio mixing.
Combat is largely trial and error.
Retry system leads to frustration.
Lacklustre story.

Guardian - 5/5
Electronictheatre - 80%
GamingExcellence - 9.0/10
ComputerAndVideogames - 6.9/10
Bone-Idle - 9/10

Quick question, if I don't have live gold, can I still buy the game? I have the points but live expired some days ago.

Anyway, been waiting for this game for some time so can't wait to play it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Very strange mix of scores so far. Fitting for a game with such a strange history I suppose.

I have a 360... but I prefer playing on my PS3, I dislike Timed Exclusives so much... I hope I don't have to wait forever for it.

also, the scores seem rather mixed, I wonder why

I'll give the trial a go, the Eurogamer review is slightly troubling. A game like this is all about the atmosphere, and it seems like there are constant game-things interfering with it.

Sounds like The Road, if every five pages The Road said "this is a book, by the way."

I am very much looking forward to this game. I tend to like games with mixed reviews, let's see if it will be the case with this game as well.

CyReN

Small roundup for just scores now:

Destructoid - 8.5/10
IGN - 4.5/10
Gamespot Review - 8/10
EuroGamer - 8/10
OXM UK - 7/10
Edge - 7/10
Gameinformer - 8.5
Guardian - 5/5
Videogamer Review - 7/10
thesixthaxis - 4/10
Electronictheatre - 80%
GamingExcellence - 9.0/10
ComputerAndVideogames - 6.9/10
Bone-Idle - 9/10
MondoBox (Italy) - 8.7/10
DigitalSpy - 4/5
BeefJack - 9/10
SavingContent - 80%
TheControllerOnline - 9/10
StrategyInformer - 9/10
NowGamer - 4/10
NewGameNetwork - 76/100
MashThoseButtons - 3.4/5

AAK

Damn, what a polar spectrum of review scores! I still have a ridiculous backlog so I'll wait for a bit before plunging.

The IGN review reads like it was written by an idiot, it's probably worth disregarding.

What was "the event?" Other than an earthquake, I have no idea.

That's an actual criticism of the game. If I was going to criticise it, it would be for wholesale stealing that from The Road, but to question it as a narrative choice is silly.

Gigglepoo

One tip: play on Survivor difficulty. With fewer items and retries, the tension is greater, which is the whole point of the adventure. Much more satisfying, and the game is never so difficult that you'll become frustrated.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I'll give the trial a go, the Eurogamer review is slightly troubling. A game like this is all about the atmosphere, and it seems like there are constant game-things interfering with it.

Sounds like The Road, if every five pages The Road said "this is a book, by the way."

This is the problem I had with the game. There are very video-gamey (for the lack of a better word) things that happen all throughout that constantly remind you that this is a game. They can be a bit jarring and take you out of the experience. The world is cool and has a really awesome look to it, but you're constantly being taken out of the experience by these reminders.

One tip: play on Survivor difficulty. With fewer items and retries, the tension is greater, which is the whole point of the adventure. Much more satisfying, and the game is never so difficult that you'll become frustrated.
I don't think I could disagree with you more. This game has a really uncanny ability to F you over with random dudes jumping you and its controls can be a bit clunky during intense fights. Small mistakes in this game can cost you big time and with fewer supplies, your health can't be easily replenished. There were already some sections that drove me mad because I couldn't figure out just the right mix during combat... on Survivor? Forget it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-i-am-alive/17-5769/

Giant Bomb quicklook, enjoyed the rage at the end heh

Brad: "Maybe this is the best game ever made. I'm here staring at an inventory screen making a really tough decision..."

I feel like I'll love this game if it's this challenging. Everything seems like a puzzle, there's not much easy outs like just relying on melee combat, you seem to have to know the ins-and-outs of the mechanics.

Muzzy

Usually, I don't read IGN but here I was curious to see why they don't like the game.
I stopped reading at the second line:
Was it worth the six-year wait? No. No, it wasn't.

And this guy is paid to write that kind of stuff, huh.

Honestly surprised at the scores being that high. I figured it would get middling scores for the most part, but that's pretty cool.

Now, if only PSN would get a date. : (

Bad7667

For anyone on the fence, read the Edge review. One of the better written and thought out reviews I've read for the game.

I don't see the point of bullying someone for their review as long as they did their due diligence playing the game, and didn't get the facts wrong.

If you love this game, then this should be a lesson to take this guy's future reviews with a grain of salt.

That's an actual criticism of the game. If I was going to criticise it, it would be for wholesale stealing that from The Road, but to question it as a narrative choice is silly.

Yeah. There's nothing wrong with stealing great ideas instead of... I don't know, doing something else that would suck? Not focusing on what caused the end of the world was one of the smartest choices McCarthy made with The Road (and the people behind the film version deserve respect for not inventing an explanation in that version of the story).

Honestly, I have zero trust in IGN these days. A hugely negative review from IGN that contradicts what most other reviewers are saying makes me, sight unseen, more confident that the game is a good one. (God Hand!) Whereas if we were talking some other site like Eurogamer, it might have the opposite effect.

I don't see the point of bullying someone for their review as long as they did their due diligence playing the game, and didn't get the facts wrong.

If you love this game, then this should be a lesson to take this guy's future reviews with a grain of salt.

Normally I would agree with you, but IGN has a long history of extremely unprofessional reviews, and not just because they occasionally "go against the crowd" or something like that, which could be considered ballsy. A lot of their reviews read like they were written by high school kids.

Also, God Hand.

Bladenic

Wow, can't believe this game is actually getting released...

And reviews are good! Except IGN, but damn, was that a poor as shit written review. Seriously, extremely unprofessional. If (when?) it comes to PSN, I'll check it out.

CTE

Probably going to buy this now. Wasn't sure, but watched the Giant Bomb playthrough and it looks like my kind of game. I love that it doesn't have any supernatural elements. Tired of that aspect in survival games.

Top Bottom