• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I asked ChatGPT to build a PC thats equivalent to the PS5 Pro, this was it's response

XXL

Since the PS5 Pro hasn’t been officially announced as of my last update, we can only speculate based on trends in hardware. However, assuming the PS5 Pro follows the PS5’s design philosophy—offering high-end gaming performance at a relatively low price compared to equivalent PC hardware—here’s a rough guide for comparison.

PS5 Pro (Speculative) vs. PC Hardware

The PS5 Pro is expected to:

Feature a more powerful version of the custom AMD RDNA 2 GPU, possibly RDNA 3 or equivalent.

Have an upgraded CPU, likely still based on AMD’s Zen 2 or Zen 3 architecture.

Faster SSD storage, possibly expanding beyond the PS5’s 825 GB, with continued high-speed access for gaming (PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs).

More RAM or faster RAM than the current 16 GB GDDR6 on the PS5.

Price Comparison with PC:

Let’s break down a hypothetical PS5 Pro equivalent in PC parts:

1. CPU (Processor):

The PS5 uses a custom AMD Zen 2-based 8-core CPU. A PC equivalent would be something like the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X or Ryzen 5 7600 (if Zen 4).

Price: $250–$350

2. GPU (Graphics Card):

The PS5 GPU is based on a custom RDNA 2 architecture. For a PC equivalent, you would be looking at something like an AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT or NVIDIA RTX 4070.

Price: $500–$700

3. RAM (Memory):

The PS5 has 16 GB of GDDR6 shared between the CPU and GPU. For a PC, you’d want 16 GB DDR4 or DDR5 RAM (DDR5 being more future-proof).

Price: $60–$100

4. Storage (SSD):

The PS5’s SSD is PCIe 4.0 with a peak transfer speed of 5.5 GB/s. A comparable PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD for PC would be 1 TB storage from companies like Samsung or Western Digital.

Price: $100–$150

5. Motherboard:

A decent B550 or X570 motherboard with PCIe 4.0 support to pair with the CPU and SSD.

Price: $150–$250

6. Power Supply (PSU):

You’d need a reliable 650W–750W PSU, depending on the GPU you choose.

Price: $80–$120

7. Case:

A mid-range PC case with decent airflow and cable management.

Price: $60–$100

8. Cooling:

The PS5 has custom cooling solutions, so a decent air or liquid cooler for your CPU would be required.

Price: $50–$100

9. Operating System:

You’ll need Windows 10/11, which costs about:

Price: $100 (can be cheaper with deals)

Total Cost:

Low end: ~$1,300

High end: ~$1,800

Why the PS5 Pro Will Likely Be Cheaper:

Consoles like the PS5 or PS5 Pro benefit from economies of scale and custom, optimized hardware. They can deliver similar performance to a higher-end PC at a fraction of the price, often around $500–$600. The GPU, CPU, and memory in consoles are highly integrated and optimized for gaming, which allows them to punch above their weight in terms of price-to-performance.

Building a gaming PC equivalent to a PS5 Pro would cost more due to the added costs of individual components, PC cases, operating systems, and more.

Would you like more details on any specific components or PC builds?

*Prices are USD

This was the prompt I gave it.
Price wise how does the PS5 Pro's specs compare to PC.

And how much would it cost to build a PC equivalent to PS5 Pro. Everything required.

ssringo

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

Bernardougf

I didnt understand.. the ps5 was not announced? We know basically everything about the hardware and price. Wtf. Or am I missing something.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
People are swayed by “building” pc’s and the opportunities there and forgive me but there’s joy in building PC’s, the joy permeates from launching your first boot up, and I’m not saying console gamers don’t have joy just not that joy.

winjer

Gold Member
As an experiment, I ran the question on Llama 3.2. This is a 3B parameter LLM, made by Meta. I ran it locally.
This is the answer. And it's as bad the one from ChatGPT4.

>>> build a PC that has equivalent performance to the PS5 Pro
Building a PC that rivals the PS5 Pro's performance requires a combination of cutting-edge components. Here's a suggested build:

**Components:**

1. **CPU:** AMD Zen 4-based EPYC 7743 - This 64-core, 256-thread processor offers exceptional performance for gaming and content creation.
2. **GPU:** NVIDIA Ampere-based GeForce RTX 3090 Ti - This flagship GPU provides unparalleled performance for ray tracing, AI-enhanced graphics, and more.
3. **Motherboard:** ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme TRX40 - This high-end motherboard features Wi-Fi 6E, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, and high-quality audio capacitors.
4. **Memory:** Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB) DDR5 RAM @ 5200MHz - This kit provides plenty of memory for heavy multitasking and content creation.
5. **Storage:**
* Samsung 980 PRO 2TB NVMe SSD - Fast storage for your operating system, games, and applications.
* Western Digital Black SN850 4TB NVMe SSD - Additional storage for your files, media, and other data.
6. **Power Supply:** EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, 80+ Titanium 1600W - A reliable power supply that provides clean power to all components.
7. **Case:** Corsair Obsidian Series 1000D ATX Mid Tower Case - This case offers excellent airflow, cable management options, and a sleek design.

**Alternative GPU Options:**

If the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti is not available or too expensive, consider these alternative GPUs:

* AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
* NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

Keep in mind that these alternatives might not offer the exact same performance as the RTX 3090 Ti.

**Total Cost:**

This build should cost around $10,000-$12,000, depending on the retailer and availability of components.

**Performance Comparison:**

To put this build into perspective, here's a rough estimate of its performance compared to the PS5 Pro:

* **Frame Rates:** The PC build can deliver frame rates of 240-320 FPS in 8K resolution (7680 x 4320) for popular games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Cyberpunk 2077.
* **Ray Tracing:** The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti card provides seamless ray tracing performance, making the PC build a solid choice for games that support this feature.
* **Loading Times:** With fast storage options, loading times can be significantly reduced, making the PC build more appealing to those who value quick access to their games and applications.

**Additional Recommendations:**

To further enhance your gaming experience on this PC:

* Consider investing in a high-end 8K display with G-Sync or FreeSync technology for smooth gameplay.
* Use a high-end sound system with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X support for immersive audio experiences.
* Take advantage of the PC build's capabilities by exploring features like ray tracing, AI-enhanced graphics, and variable refresh rate (VRR).

Please note that building a PC is a complex process, and you may need to consult online tutorials or experts if you're new to PC building.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The price difference at my Best Buy is insane right now.

aETWwlK.png

pO4ngyB.png

The Slim DE is selling for the equivalent of $376 USD and the Pro for $708 USD. Almost twice the price. Crazy.

XXL

The price difference at my Best Buy is insane right now.

aETWwlK.png

pO4ngyB.png

The Slim DE is selling for the equivalent of $376 USD and the Pro for $708 USD. Almost twice the price. Crazy.
Where I'm from the PS5 Pro came up to $1075 CDN.

Canada is fucking expensive.

Btw, the price ChatGPT gave were USD.

winjer

Gold Member
Gemini and vertex can access new information.

This was using the result using GeminiAI, on their website. And it's also outdated. It even calls the PS5 Pro as an "hypothetical console".

I'll try to ask the same question to Gemma2 27B. Though I doubt it will give a better answer.

Building a PC Equivalent to the PS5 Pro​

Disclaimer: The PS5 Pro is a hypothetical console, so its exact specifications are unknown. However, based on the expected performance improvements over the standard PS5, we can estimate a PC build that would offer comparable gaming experiences.

Key Considerations for a PS5 Pro-Equivalent PC​

1. CPU: A powerful CPU is essential for handling complex game logic and AI.
  2. GPU: A high-end GPU will deliver stunning visuals and frame rates.
  3. RAM: Ample RAM ensures smooth gameplay and prevents bottlenecks.
  4. Storage: An SSD is crucial for fast loading times and overall performance.

Recommended PC Build​

Here's a suggested PC build that should offer performance comparable to the hypothetical PS5 Pro:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X or Intel Core i9-13900KGPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 or AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTXMotherboard: Compatible motherboard for your chosen CPU (e.g., ASUS ROG X670E-LUX for AMD, ASUS ROG Z790E-LUX for Intel)RAM: 32GB DDR5 RAM (at least 5200MHz)Storage: 1TB NVMe SSDPower Supply: 850W or higher quality power supplyCase: A full-tower case with good airflow (e.g., Corsair 7000D Airflow)Operating System: Windows 11 (64-bit)

Additional Considerations​

• Monitor: A high-refresh-rate monitor (at least 1440p, 144Hz) is recommended for optimal gaming experiences.
  • Cooling: Ensure proper cooling with high-quality CPU and GPU coolers to prevent overheating.
  • Peripherals: Consider gaming-grade keyboard, mouse, and headset for the best experience.
Note: Prices and availability of components can fluctuate. It's always a good idea to check current market conditions before making a purchase.

This build provides a strong foundation for a PC that should deliver performance similar to or exceeding the PS5 Pro. However, the actual performance may vary depending on specific game requirements and optimization.

Would you like me to provide more specific recommendations based on your budget or preferences?

Gaiff

Where I'm from the PS5 Pro came up to $1075 CDN.
With taxes? Because I've seen it everywhere in Canada for around $960-965 which is around $705 USD, so close.
Canada is fucking expensive.

Btw, the price ChatGPT gave were USD.
Yeah, I know, but the Slim right now is a fucking bargain. $512 CAD is $376 USD. That's a freakin' steal. Sub $400 is crazy.

Reactions: XXL

XXL

With taxes? Because I've seen it everywhere in Canada for around $960-965 which is around $705 USD, so close.

Yeah, I know, but the Slim right now is a fucking bargain. $512 CAD is $376 USD. That's a freakin' steal. Sub $400 is crazy.
Yes, with taxes.

Thats an amazing price for the Slim.

cormack12

Gold Member
Apparently Chat GPT knows Gaiff Gaiff . This was its response.

While building a PC with the same form factor and performance level as a modern console is possible, it requires specialized components (mini ITX, SFX, SFF Cases), careful thermal management, and usually costs more.

Gaiff, I hope this helps clarify your question!

It then sent me this pic to send to you as well

images

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Gemma2 27B also has outdated info. For example, it thinks that the Pro will use a Zen4 CPU. Similar to the other LLMs.
It's obvious that AI models are not good enough for these kind of stuff.

>>> build a PC that has equivalent performance to the PS5 Pro
Let's first discuss what we know about the PS5 Pro and then build a PC with similar performance. As of right now,
Sony hasn't officially announced a PS5 Pro or given out any detailed specs. However, there have been rumors and
speculation based on industry insiders.

It is believed that the PS5 Pro will feature:

* A custom AMD Zen 4 CPU with an increase in clock speed
* An upgraded AMD RDNA 3 GPU with more compute units and higher memory bandwidth
* Support for ray tracing and other advanced graphical features
* Faster SSD storage

Now, let's build a PC that mirrors these specs.

**PC Build:**

1. **CPU:** AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - This CPU offers powerful performance and high clock speeds similar to the
rumored PS5 Pro's Zen 4 chip.
2. **GPU:** Radeon RX 7900 XT or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti - These GPUs provide comparable graphical capabilities
and ray tracing support as expected in the PS5 Pro.
3. **Motherboard:** ASUS ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming WIFI or MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi - Choose a motherboard
compatible with your CPU and offering features like PCIe 5.0 for faster storage speeds.
4. **RAM:** 16GB DDR5-6000MHz - This ensures smooth performance and responsiveness for games.
5. **SSD:** Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD - Delivers ultra-fast load times and data transfer rates.
6. **Power Supply:** Corsair RM750x (750W) or Seasonic Focus GX-750 (750W) - A high-quality power supply is
essential for stable performance and long life.
7. **Case:** Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact or NZXT H510 Flow - Choose a well-ventilated case to keep your
components cool.

**Additional considerations:**

* Cooling: Install a CPU cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 or Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix for optimal
temperature management.
* Monitor: Invest in a high-resolution, high refresh rate monitor (e.g., 1440p, 120Hz or higher) to fully
experience the PC's capabilities.

This build provides equivalent performance to the PS5 Pro while offering flexibility and customization options
that consoles lack. You can easily upgrade components as needed and enjoy a wider selection of games across
various platforms. The open architecture allows for greater control over settings and configurations, leading to
potentially better graphics and performance in some cases.

By building this PC, you'll be well-prepared for the next generation of gaming with top-tier hardware and
unmatched versatility.

T4keD0wN

Why are you guys asking LLMs which dont have access to any any information past 2023 instead of doing it yourself since we already known the specs and 2024 pricing?

Why even share this low effort AI slop?
Do Better Season 1 GIF by Paramount+

Last edited:

Gaiff

Yes, with taxes.

Thats an amazing price for the Slim.
Yeah, it's crazy good. I'm checking the US site and it's still $450. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a listing error lol. Not gonna lie, I already got my Pro pre-ordered, but it's insanely tempting to just get a regular one at that price.

Also, that price with taxes is quite good. I'm assuming you're somewhere like BC where you guys pay like 5% taxes. In places like Ontario, Nova Scotia, or Quebec, we're at 13-15%.

Last edited:

XXL

Yes, this is the power of AI. Can't wait for them to pilot our airplanes.
I actually can't wait for this, even though I know you're being sarcastic.

My car has FSD currently I use it all the time (its pretty much the primary way I drive now) and summoning it at stores is pretty great. No problems.

I've had FSD for a while now and it's absolutely fucking amazing.

So. Not shit, a PC will always be more expensive than a console. However, I can upgrade any component on my PC any time I like and have far more CPU, RAM, and GPU power. The library of games is more vast than Sony could imagine. Not only all this, but a PC is far more capable at not only gaming, but completing other tasks. So while the Playstation is a great deal, I need more. So, for the cost of 2 PS5 pro's I will always go PC. I'm not sure why you turds need to exclaim that the PS5Pro is so amazing for it's price, you are correct, it is. But I don't need a PC with the same horsepower as a PS5Pro. I can meet and exceed those needs and do far more with my PC as well as have far more freedom to game, mod, host servers, create virtual machines, control my network, work, Emulate other systems, use CAD software, 3D model, build a game/website/software application, program Arduino modules, utilize my own personal AI, Photo/Video Edit, pay bills, run up to 4 monitors, tweak settings to my hearts content and so on. Hell, I could add 2 GPU's if I wanted to.

I think the choice is up to the user and what they ultimately want to do. Would you like a walled garden for just games, apps and entertainment, controlled by your plastic box manufacturer of choice, or do you want to do whatever you want?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How do we stop people from making redundant threads on message boards?

ChatGPT said:​

Stopping redundant threads on message boards can be a challenge, but there are a few strategies you can try:

1. **Encourage Search Use**: Create a sticky post that encourages users to search before posting. Include tips on how to effectively use the search function.

2. **Create Clear Guidelines**: Establish and promote clear guidelines for posting, emphasizing the importance of checking for existing threads.

3. **Thread Merging**: If possible, merge similar threads. This shows users that redundancy is noticed and helps consolidate discussions.

4. **Active Moderation**: Be proactive in moderating the board. Politely point out existing threads when new, redundant ones are created.

5. **Highlight Popular Threads**: Feature popular or frequently discussed threads to make them more visible to users.

6. **Incentivize Quality Posting**: Recognize and reward users who contribute meaningful discussions or help keep the board organized.

7. **Community Engagement**: Foster a sense of community where users feel responsible for maintaining thread quality. Encourage them to remind others to check for existing discussions.

8. **Educate New Users**: Provide a brief guide for newcomers on how the forum works, including the importance of avoiding redundancy.

By fostering a culture of awareness and responsibility, you can help reduce the number of redundant threads on your message board.

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

Thebonehead

This was using the result using GeminiAI, on their website. And it's also outdated. It even calls the PS5 Pro as an "hypothetical console".

I'll try to ask the same question to Gemma2 27B. Though I doubt it will give a better answer.
Strange.. I get the following.. maybe as I have developer access to the latest models.

Component Comparison: PS5 Pro vs. Equivalent PC
CPU
PS5 Pro: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Equivalent PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X or Intel Core i7-12700K
* Comparison: The Ryzen 7 5800X and i7-12700K offer comparable or slightly better performance than the 5700G, especially in multi-threaded tasks.
* Cheapest Price: As of October 4, 2024, the cheapest Ryzen 7 5800X can be found on Amazon for around £250. The i7-12700K is slightly more expensive, with prices starting around £350 on Newegg.
GPU
PS5 Pro: AMD RDNA 2 architecture (equivalent to a Radeon RX 6800 XT)
Equivalent PC: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
* Comparison: The RTX 4070 generally offers better performance, especially in ray tracing and newer games.
* Cheapest Price: The RTX 4070 is currently available on Amazon for around £550.
RAM
PS5 Pro: 16GB GDDR6
Equivalent PC: 16GB DDR4-3600MHz or faster
* Comparison: GDDR6 is slightly faster than DDR4, but the difference is generally negligible for most gaming workloads.
* Cheapest Price: 16GB DDR4-3600MHz can be found on Amazon for around £70.
Storage
PS5 Pro: SSD
Equivalent PC: NVMe SSD (1TB or more)
* Comparison: NVMe SSDs offer significantly faster read and write speeds compared to traditional HDDs, providing faster load times and overall system responsiveness.
* Cheapest Price: A 1TB NVMe SSD like the Samsung 980 Pro can be found on Amazon for around £150.
Motherboard
PS5 Pro: Proprietary motherboard
Equivalent PC: Compatible motherboard for chosen CPU and components
* Comparison: PC motherboards offer more flexibility and customization options, allowing for easier upgrades and overclocking.
* Cheapest Price: A compatible motherboard like the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING can be found on Newegg for around £150.
Power Supply
PS5 Pro: Proprietary power supply
Equivalent PC: At least 750W
* Comparison: PC power supplies offer more wattage options and can be upgraded as needed.
* Cheapest Price: A 750W power supply like the Corsair RMx Series can be found on Amazon for around £100.
Case
PS5 Pro: Proprietary case
Equivalent PC: Mid-tower case
* Comparison: PC cases offer more variety in terms of size, design, and features.
* Cheapest Price: A mid-tower case like the Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact can be found on Amazon for around £70.
Please note that prices may vary, and it's always recommended to check multiple retailers for the best deals.

winjer

Gold Member
Strange.. I get the following.. maybe as I have developer access to the latest models.

Component Comparison: PS5 Pro vs. Equivalent PC
CPU
PS5 Pro: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Equivalent PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X or Intel Core i7-12700K
* Comparison: The Ryzen 7 5800X and i7-12700K offer comparable or slightly better performance than the 5700G, especially in multi-threaded tasks.
* Cheapest Price: As of October 4, 2024, the cheapest Ryzen 7 5800X can be found on Amazon for around £250. The i7-12700K is slightly more expensive, with prices starting around £350 on Newegg.
GPU
PS5 Pro: AMD RDNA 2 architecture (equivalent to a Radeon RX 6800 XT)
Equivalent PC: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
* Comparison: The RTX 4070 generally offers better performance, especially in ray tracing and newer games.
* Cheapest Price: The RTX 4070 is currently available on Amazon for around £550.
RAM
PS5 Pro: 16GB GDDR6
Equivalent PC: 16GB DDR4-3600MHz or faster
* Comparison: GDDR6 is slightly faster than DDR4, but the difference is generally negligible for most gaming workloads.
* Cheapest Price: 16GB DDR4-3600MHz can be found on Amazon for around £70.
Storage
PS5 Pro: SSD
Equivalent PC: NVMe SSD (1TB or more)
* Comparison: NVMe SSDs offer significantly faster read and write speeds compared to traditional HDDs, providing faster load times and overall system responsiveness.
* Cheapest Price: A 1TB NVMe SSD like the Samsung 980 Pro can be found on Amazon for around £150.
Motherboard
PS5 Pro: Proprietary motherboard
Equivalent PC: Compatible motherboard for chosen CPU and components
* Comparison: PC motherboards offer more flexibility and customization options, allowing for easier upgrades and overclocking.
* Cheapest Price: A compatible motherboard like the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING can be found on Newegg for around £150.
Power Supply
PS5 Pro: Proprietary power supply
Equivalent PC: At least 750W
* Comparison: PC power supplies offer more wattage options and can be upgraded as needed.
* Cheapest Price: A 750W power supply like the Corsair RMx Series can be found on Amazon for around £100.
Case
PS5 Pro: Proprietary case
Equivalent PC: Mid-tower case
* Comparison: PC cases offer more variety in terms of size, design, and features.
* Cheapest Price: A mid-tower case like the Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact can be found on Amazon for around £70.
Please note that prices may vary, and it's always recommended to check multiple retailers for the best deals.

That's strange.
What query did you use? Mine was very simple: "build a PC that has equivalent performance to the PS5 Pro"

winjer

Gold Member
And this is the Brave AI answer. It's probably the least bad, that I have seen so far.

PS5 Pro PC Equivalent Build​

Based on the provided search results, here’s a PC build that aims to match the performance of the PS5 Pro:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 (3.6 GHz, 6 cores, 12 threads)
GPU: Radeon RX 7700 XT (RDNA 3-based, 54 compute units)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550M K AM4 (supports Ryzen 5 5600)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB @ 3200MHz
Storage: TEAMGROUP 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L (ATX mid-tower)
Power Supply: Not specified, but a 650W or higher 80+ Gold certified PSU would be recommended
Total Cost: Approximately $691 (based on the provided specifications and prices)
This build leverages the AMD Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, which offers competitive performance to the PS5 Pro’s custom Zen 2 CPU. The Radeon RX 7700 XT GPU, although not exactly matching the PS5 Pro’s internal GPU, provides a strong performance boost with its RDNA 3 architecture and 54 compute units. The 16GB DDR4 memory and 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD ensure smooth system performance and fast loading times.
Keep in mind that this build is an approximation, as the PS5 Pro’s internal components are custom-designed and optimized for the console’s specific use case. However, this PC build should provide comparable performance to the PS5 Pro in gaming and other demanding applications.
Note: The provided search results also suggest considering alternative GPUs like the Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 or AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT, depending on your preferences and budget. Additionally, you may want to consider a more powerful CPU like the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X or Intel Core i7–10700K for even better performance.

Top Bottom