• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I asked ChatGPT to build a PC thats equivalent to the PS5 Pro, this was it's response

chatgpt is as language model with slight internet research capabilities

it's not made for this kind of stuff if you want it to be anywhere accurate

Using OP's prompt, this is what Gemini said:

The PS5 Pro is priced at $700. In terms of raw specs, it's comparable to a mid-range gaming PC. However, PCs offer more flexibility and upgradeability.

To build a PC with similar performance to the PS5 Pro, you'd be looking at roughly $800 - $1000, depending on the components you choose and whether you can find deals. Here's a potential build:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 ($200) - Offers comparable performance to the PS5 Pro's CPU.
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT ($550) - A powerful GPU that can deliver similar or better performance than the PS5 Pro.
  • RAM: 16GB DDR5 (around $80) - Fast RAM is crucial for gaming and matches the PS5 Pro's capacity.
  • Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD ($50-70) - Ensures fast loading times.
  • Motherboard: B650 motherboard (around $150) - A good balance of features and price.
  • Power Supply: 750W power supply (around $80-100) - Provides enough power for the system.
  • Case: ($50-100) - Your choice depending on preferences.
and this is what Perplexity said:

Cost Comparison​

The PS5 Pro is priced at $699.99, while building an equivalent PC typically costs more:

PC Build Equivalent to PS5 Pro​

To build a PC equivalent to the PS5 Pro, you would need the following components:
The total cost for this build ranges from approximately $870 to $1,000, depending on specific component choices and current market prices

Reactions: XXL

TxKnight7

Just get a PC you want 1000fps?
6jvaR3H.jpeg

XUFPGrX5Zis6Y.webp

Last edited:
Went ahead and did this over again. I asked Perplexity to give me the latest detailed information on what the PS5 Pro specs are. Then I took those and pasted into ChatGPT-4o and asked it to build a pc with the equivalent power:

1. CPU:

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D or Intel Core i7-13700K
    • The PS5 Pro likely has a custom AMD Zen 4-based CPU. These CPUs are comparable in processing power, with multiple cores and high clock speeds to handle gaming and multitasking effectively.

2. GPU:

• AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
    • The PS5 Pro boasts 67% more compute units than the base PS5 and enhanced ray tracing capabilities. The RX 7900 XT and RTX 4070 Ti are excellent matches for this level of performance, providing powerful rendering for 4K gaming and even some 8K capability, along with robust ray tracing.

3. Memory (RAM):

• 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz
    • PS5 Pro has a 28% memory increase over the base PS5, which has 16GB of GDDR6. For a PC, 32GB of fast DDR5 memory ensures high bandwidth and speed for gaming and multitasking.

4. Storage:

• 2TB NVMe Gen4 SSD (e.g., Samsung 980 Pro or WD Black SN850X)
    • With the PS5 Pro offering a 2TB SSD, a comparable high-speed NVMe drive ensures quick load times, similar to the console's fast storage.

5. Motherboard:

• For AMD CPU: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F
  • For Intel CPU: MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi
    • Supports the latest CPUs, PCIe Gen4 for the GPU, and the NVMe SSD, as well as Wi-Fi 7 compatibility (when available).

6. Cooling:

• High-performance air cooler (e.g., Noctua NH-D15) or AIO liquid cooler (e.g., Corsair H150i Elite Capellix XT)
    • Proper cooling is essential to maintain high performance and low temperatures for gaming and rendering tasks.

7. Power Supply Unit (PSU):

• 850W 80+ Gold Rated PSU (e.g., Corsair RM850x)
    • A reliable power supply to handle the high power demands of the CPU and GPU, with headroom for overclocking and future upgrades.

8. Case:

• Mid-tower or Full-tower ATX case with good airflow (e.g., Fractal Design Meshify 2)
    • Ensures adequate cooling and space for all components.

9. AI Upscaling:

• AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT (with FidelityFX Super Resolution) or NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti (with DLSS 3)
    • The PS5 Pro’s AI upscaling is akin to these technologies, which enhance image quality while maintaining high frame rates.

10. Resolution and Frame Rates:

• The RX 7900 XT and RTX 4070 Ti can support 4K 120Hz gaming and even 8K in some scenarios, aligning with the PS5 Pro's focus on combining high resolution and performance.

11. Connectivity:

• Wi-Fi 7 ready motherboard (as mentioned above) or adding a Wi-Fi 7 PCIe card when it becomes available.
  • Support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through G-Sync (NVIDIA) or FreeSync (AMD).

(this was my prompt:
based on the following specs for the ps5 pro, show me what a pc build would look like that would have the equivalent power.GPU and Performance67% more Compute Units than the base PS528% faster memoryUp to 45% faster rendering for gameplay12Enhanced ray tracing capabilities, with light casting at double or triple the speeds of the base PS52AI UpscalingIntroduces PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR), an AI-driven upscaling technology2Aims to deliver sharper images while maintaining high frame ratesStorageComes with a 2TB SSD, a significant upgrade from the base PS5's 825GB4Resolution and Frame RatesSupports resolutions up to 8K35Aims to combine high fidelity (resolution) and performance (frame rates) modes into one2ConnectivitySupports Wi-Fi 7 (where available)25Supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)25Backwards CompatibilityFeatures 'PS5 Pro Game Boost' applicable to over 8,500 backward-compatible PS4 games2Enhanced Image Quality feature for some PS4 games2)

Hrk69

Gold Member
Using OP's prompt, this is what Gemini said:

The PS5 Pro is priced at $700. In terms of raw specs, it's comparable to a mid-range gaming PC. However, PCs offer more flexibility and upgradeability.

To build a PC with similar performance to the PS5 Pro, you'd be looking at roughly $800 - $1000, depending on the components you choose and whether you can find deals. Here's a potential build:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 ($200) - Offers comparable performance to the PS5 Pro's CPU.
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT ($550) - A powerful GPU that can deliver similar or better performance than the PS5 Pro.
  • RAM: 16GB DDR5 (around $80) - Fast RAM is crucial for gaming and matches the PS5 Pro's capacity.
  • Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD ($50-70) - Ensures fast loading times.
  • Motherboard: B650 motherboard (around $150) - A good balance of features and price.
  • Power Supply: 750W power supply (around $80-100) - Provides enough power for the system.
  • Case: ($50-100) - Your choice depending on preferences.
and this is what Perplexity said:

Cost Comparison​

The PS5 Pro is priced at $699.99, while building an equivalent PC typically costs more:

PC Build Equivalent to PS5 Pro​

To build a PC equivalent to the PS5 Pro, you would need the following components:
The total cost for this build ranges from approximately $870 to $1,000, depending on specific component choices and current market prices
Went ahead and did this over again. I asked Perplexity to give me the latest detailed information on what the PS5 Pro specs are. Then I took those and pasted into ChatGPT-4o and asked it to build a pc with the equivalent power:

1. CPU:

• AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D or Intel Core i7-13700K
    • The PS5 Pro likely has a custom AMD Zen 4-based CPU. These CPUs are comparable in processing power, with multiple cores and high clock speeds to handle gaming and multitasking effectively.

2. GPU:

• AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
    • The PS5 Pro boasts 67% more compute units than the base PS5 and enhanced ray tracing capabilities. The RX 7900 XT and RTX 4070 Ti are excellent matches for this level of performance, providing powerful rendering for 4K gaming and even some 8K capability, along with robust ray tracing.

3. Memory (RAM):

• 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz
    • PS5 Pro has a 28% memory increase over the base PS5, which has 16GB of GDDR6. For a PC, 32GB of fast DDR5 memory ensures high bandwidth and speed for gaming and multitasking.

4. Storage:

• 2TB NVMe Gen4 SSD (e.g., Samsung 980 Pro or WD Black SN850X)
    • With the PS5 Pro offering a 2TB SSD, a comparable high-speed NVMe drive ensures quick load times, similar to the console's fast storage.

5. Motherboard:

• For AMD CPU: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F
  • For Intel CPU: MSI MPG Z790 Carbon WiFi
    • Supports the latest CPUs, PCIe Gen4 for the GPU, and the NVMe SSD, as well as Wi-Fi 7 compatibility (when available).

6. Cooling:

• High-performance air cooler (e.g., Noctua NH-D15) or AIO liquid cooler (e.g., Corsair H150i Elite Capellix XT)
    • Proper cooling is essential to maintain high performance and low temperatures for gaming and rendering tasks.

7. Power Supply Unit (PSU):

• 850W 80+ Gold Rated PSU (e.g., Corsair RM850x)
    • A reliable power supply to handle the high power demands of the CPU and GPU, with headroom for overclocking and future upgrades.

8. Case:

• Mid-tower or Full-tower ATX case with good airflow (e.g., Fractal Design Meshify 2)
    • Ensures adequate cooling and space for all components.

9. AI Upscaling:

• AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT (with FidelityFX Super Resolution) or NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti (with DLSS 3)
    • The PS5 Pro’s AI upscaling is akin to these technologies, which enhance image quality while maintaining high frame rates.

10. Resolution and Frame Rates:

• The RX 7900 XT and RTX 4070 Ti can support 4K 120Hz gaming and even 8K in some scenarios, aligning with the PS5 Pro's focus on combining high resolution and performance.

11. Connectivity:

• Wi-Fi 7 ready motherboard (as mentioned above) or adding a Wi-Fi 7 PCIe card when it becomes available.
  • Support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) through G-Sync (NVIDIA) or FreeSync (AMD).

(this was my prompt:
based on the following specs for the ps5 pro, show me what a pc build would look like that would have the equivalent power.GPU and Performance67% more Compute Units than the base PS528% faster memoryUp to 45% faster rendering for gameplay12Enhanced ray tracing capabilities, with light casting at double or triple the speeds of the base PS52AI UpscalingIntroduces PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution (PSSR), an AI-driven upscaling technology2Aims to deliver sharper images while maintaining high frame ratesStorageComes with a 2TB SSD, a significant upgrade from the base PS5's 825GB4Resolution and Frame RatesSupports resolutions up to 8K35Aims to combine high fidelity (resolution) and performance (frame rates) modes into one2ConnectivitySupports Wi-Fi 7 (where available)25Supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)25Backwards CompatibilityFeatures 'PS5 Pro Game Boost' applicable to over 8,500 backward-compatible PS4 games2Enhanced Image Quality feature for some PS4 games2)
What The Hell Wtf GIF by WTA

Thebonehead

That's strange.
What query did you use? Mine was very simple: "build a PC that has equivalent performance to the PS5 Pro"
Build an equivalent pc to the Ps5 pro. Please go into detail about each component and it's comparison to the Ps5 pro. Also find the cheapest price for it and put on the comparison the retailer and price

... Was the prompt I used

Fess

What’s the deal with the shilling? Just preorder it and wait for it like the rest of us.

It’s expensive for a console. That’s all there is to say about it. No enthusiast gamer who’s considering jumping into PC gaming is going to stop at trying to match a PS5 Pro, they’ll go way higher, because it’s possible. You’d go higher on a Pro Extreme console too if that was possible.

winjer

Gold Member
Build an equivalent pc to the Ps5 pro. Please go into detail about each component and it's comparison to the Ps5 pro. Also find the cheapest price for it and put on the comparison the retailer and price

... Was the prompt I used

With that input, I got this. Seems to be the same thing as yours.

The PlayStation 5 Pro is a high-performance console designed for gaming and multimedia. To build an equivalent PC, we need to consider the following components:

Processor:

• PlayStation 5 Pro: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-core CPU, 16-thread
  • PC Equivalent: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-core CPU, 16-thread
The Ryzen 7 5700X is a slightly higher-clocked version of the 5700G and offers slightly better performance for gaming and other demanding tasks.

Graphics Card:

• PlayStation 5 Pro: AMD RDNA 2 architecture, 2.23 GHz, 36 CUs, 10.28 TFLOPS
  • PC Equivalent: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6
The RTX 3070 Ti offers similar performance to the PS5 Pro's GPU, but with slightly better ray tracing capabilities.

Motherboard:

• PlayStation 5 Pro: Custom AMD-designed motherboard
  • PC Equivalent: B550 or X570 chipset motherboard
A B550 or X570 chipset motherboard is compatible with the Ryzen 7 5700X and offers good features for gaming and content creation.

RAM:

• PlayStation 5 Pro: 16GB GDDR6
  • PC Equivalent: 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RAM
The PS5 Pro uses GDDR6 memory, which is faster than DDR4. However, DDR4-3200MHz RAM is a good choice for gaming and will offer similar performance.

Storage:

• PlayStation 5 Pro: 825GB SSD
  • PC Equivalent: 1TB NVMe SSD
An NVMe SSD is essential for fast loading times and smooth gameplay. A 1TB SSD will provide ample storage for games and other files.

Power Supply:

• PlayStation 5 Pro: 660W
  • PC Equivalent: 750W
A 750W power supply will be sufficient to power the Ryzen 7 5700X, RTX 3070 Ti, and other components.

Case:

• PlayStation 5 Pro: Custom designed case
  • PC Equivalent: Mid-tower case
A mid-tower case will provide enough space for the components and allow for good airflow.

Price Comparison:

ComponentPS5 ProPC EquivalentRetailerPrice
ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 5700GAMD Ryzen 7 5700XAmazon$299
Graphics CardAMD RDNA 2NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 TiNewegg$799
MotherboardCustomB550 or X570Amazon$120-$180
RAM16GB GDDR616GB DDR4-3200MHzAmazon$80
Storage825GB SSD1TB NVMe SSDNewegg$120
Power Supply660W750WAmazon$80
CaseCustomMid-towerAmazon$70-$100
TotalN/A$1468-$1588
Export to Sheets
Note: Prices may vary depending on retailer and region. It's also possible to find used components at a lower cost.

Conclusion:

Building a PC equivalent to the PS5 Pro can be expensive, but it offers more flexibility and customization options. With the right components, you can create a powerful gaming and multimedia machine that can handle the latest games and applications.

HogIsland

Cool it built a way more powerful machine with a valid windows license.

You can build a comparable machine to PS5 Pro for ~800 you just wouldn't want to.

Last edited:
i love the "here we go again!" and the "what a stupid post OP!" type comments when it comes to this kind of stuff. for a second you almost forget you're on a FUCKING VIDEO GAME FORUM CREATED TO HAVE A DESIGNATED PLACE FOR LIKE-MINDED INDIVIDUALS TO DISCUSS THEIR SHARED PASSION OF VIDEOGAMES, TECH AND GAMING CULTURE.

if the post is so dumb, you really don't have to click on it. like, we get it! all videogames are pointless and frivilous in the long run. it's a hobby. it's fun to speculate and discuss with others. good gah!

ok, i'm ready for the "you mad" and "no need to cry" gifs and comments. i feel better i got that out.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
And when you want to upgrade, you can upgrade at your own pace, piece by piece.
Yep my current PC is the closest I have cone to a complete fresh build in a looong time, but it is still using my previous power supply and a couple of SATA SSD's for games that don't need NVMe speeds.

cormack12

Gold Member
i love the "here we go again!" and the "what a stupid post OP!" type comments when it comes to this kind of stuff. for a second you almost forget you're on a FUCKING VIDEO GAME FORUM CREATED TO HAVE A DESIGNATED PLACE FOR LIKE-MINDED INDIVIDUALS TO DISCUSS THEIR SHARED PASSION OF VIDEOGAMES, TECH AND GAMING CULTURE.

if the post is so dumb, you really don't have to click on it. like, we get it! all videogames are pointless and frivilous in the long run. it's a hobby. it's fun to speculate and discuss with others. good gah!

ok, i'm ready for the "you mad" and "no need to cry" gifs and comments. i feel better i got that out.
95myoc.jpg

XXL

I agree completely. But, find the reaction funny more than anything. I thought this is would be a more civil discussion though. Lol.

Gamerguy84

Damn, so PRO is actually pretty cheap. Plus it's not taking into account hardware decompression, which supposedly equates to several zen cores, and all the little special sauces.

Of course PC can beat it but not at a comparable price point.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I asked ChatGPT about my build in comparison. Here’s the response:
Your PC build certainly outperforms the PS5 Pro in several key areas. The RTX 4070 offers significantly better graphics performance compared to the PS5 Pro’s custom RDNA 2 GPU, especially for higher frame rates and resolutions beyond 4K. Additionally, your Intel Core i7-12700F is a strong 12-core processor that excels in multitasking and CPU-heavy tasks, outpacing the PS5 Pro's custom AMD Zen 2-based CPU.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
-What do you say about people trying to make a pc based on Ps5 pro specs?

ChatGPT said:​

Building a PC based on the specs of a PS5 Pro is an interesting idea but can be challenging due to the different architectures and purposes between consoles and PCs.

- is it interesting or stupid?

ChatGPT said:​

It’s more interesting than stupid, but it depends on the intention behind it.
In short:
  • If the goal is cost-efficiency and gaming performance, then yes, it might seem a bit misguided.
  • But if it's for the challenge or to build a versatile machine, then it’s an interesting project!

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Don't worry the pro is fine. Overpriced for a console but still fine. people buy slight phone upgrades for 1.5k so no need to justify overpriced hardware.
Yeah. No one is claiming the PS5 Pro sucks or anything. But this weird mental gymnastics that some are doing to justify its value compared to PC is getting ridiculous.

Moses85

Since the PS5 Pro hasn’t been officially announced as of my last update, we can only speculate based on trends in hardware. However, assuming the PS5 Pro follows the PS5’s design philosophy—offering high-end gaming performance at a relatively low price compared to equivalent PC hardware—here’s a rough guide for comparison.

PS5 Pro (Speculative) vs. PC Hardware

The PS5 Pro is expected to:

Feature a more powerful version of the custom AMD RDNA 2 GPU, possibly RDNA 3 or equivalent.

Have an upgraded CPU, likely still based on AMD’s Zen 2 or Zen 3 architecture.

Faster SSD storage, possibly expanding beyond the PS5’s 825 GB, with continued high-speed access for gaming (PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs).

More RAM or faster RAM than the current 16 GB GDDR6 on the PS5.

Price Comparison with PC:

Let’s break down a hypothetical PS5 Pro equivalent in PC parts:

1. CPU (Processor):

The PS5 uses a custom AMD Zen 2-based 8-core CPU. A PC equivalent would be something like the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X or Ryzen 5 7600 (if Zen 4).

Price: $250–$350

2. GPU (Graphics Card):

The PS5 GPU is based on a custom RDNA 2 architecture. For a PC equivalent, you would be looking at something like an AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT or NVIDIA RTX 4070.

Price: $500–$700

3. RAM (Memory):

The PS5 has 16 GB of GDDR6 shared between the CPU and GPU. For a PC, you’d want 16 GB DDR4 or DDR5 RAM (DDR5 being more future-proof).

Price: $60–$100

4. Storage (SSD):

The PS5’s SSD is PCIe 4.0 with a peak transfer speed of 5.5 GB/s. A comparable PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD for PC would be 1 TB storage from companies like Samsung or Western Digital.

Price: $100–$150

5. Motherboard:

A decent B550 or X570 motherboard with PCIe 4.0 support to pair with the CPU and SSD.

Price: $150–$250

6. Power Supply (PSU):

You’d need a reliable 650W–750W PSU, depending on the GPU you choose.

Price: $80–$120

7. Case:

A mid-range PC case with decent airflow and cable management.

Price: $60–$100

8. Cooling:

The PS5 has custom cooling solutions, so a decent air or liquid cooler for your CPU would be required.

Price: $50–$100

9. Operating System:

You’ll need Windows 10/11, which costs about:

Price: $100 (can be cheaper with deals)

Total Cost:

Low end: ~$1,300

High end: ~$1,800

Why the PS5 Pro Will Likely Be Cheaper:

Consoles like the PS5 or PS5 Pro benefit from economies of scale and custom, optimized hardware. They can deliver similar performance to a higher-end PC at a fraction of the price, often around $500–$600. The GPU, CPU, and memory in consoles are highly integrated and optimized for gaming, which allows them to punch above their weight in terms of price-to-performance.

Building a gaming PC equivalent to a PS5 Pro would cost more due to the added costs of individual components, PC cases, operating systems, and more.

Would you like more details on any specific components or PC builds?

*Prices are USD

This was the prompt I gave it.
So, this does mean, the PS5 Pro is to cheap

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
People are swayed by “building” pc’s and the opportunities there and forgive me but there’s joy in building PC’s, the joy permeates from launching your first boot up, and I’m not saying console gamers don’t have joy just not that joy.

EXACTLY!!!! Which is why it's so confusing when people tell others to not buy a PS5 Pro and just build a PC. I'm like, "maybe people don't find joy in building a PC".

Apparently Chat GPT knows @Gaiff? This was its response.

While building a PC with the same form factor and performance level as a modern console is possible, it requires specialized components (mini ITX, SFX, SFF Cases), careful thermal management, and usually costs more.

Gaiff, I hope this helps clarify your question!
Wait What Comedy GIF by Dead Meat James

Top Bottom