• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MisterNoisy said:
To be fair, they're both outsourced builds - the HX line and up are just outsourced to Seasonic instead of CWT. ;)

That said, I don't think that the CX-series is bad, per se. They're just not 'enthusiast-class' power supplies and not up to the expectations that the Corsair name has generally stood for. I'd imagine that that CX500 would be fine for a machine with modest power demands, and the HS review seemed to indicate that for a lower-end unit, you could do a lot worse than the CX430 they reviewed. If I had to buy a PSU to replace the one in say, my father's Dell, I'd look long and hard at the CX units.
The problem was while the TX is CWT also the CX500 is more like a CWT 450w unit than a 500w unit. Or so I think.

Javaman

Curufinwe said:
That sucks. I just installed a GTX 460 last night and thankfully it worked first time.

I was a little worried that the 6-pin power cable that had been sitting unused for the past three and a half years while I was running an 8800 GTS would be dead.

Yeah, it was quite terrifying and frustrating since my first thought was that the card was DOA. I'm fortunate that returning to the original video card caused problems too since otherwise I would have probably stopped trouble shooting at that point. Fortunately when I put the original card back in I happened to switch to the other vid card power cord.

nyong

Banned
Update:

So, I flashed my BIOS and decided to try the overclock route again. After replacing the thermal paste on my heatsink and getting rid of some dust too. Yeah....broke the heatseat so my PC has to sit sideways now, but I'm getting a solid 40-50 FPS versus the former 20-30!

2.13-->2.56

If my PC decides to not crash like usual I may be able to postpone upgrading for awhile. Going to try out some PvP a bit later.

antonz

Was checking out some overclock sites. 5.1Ghz is currently the record for a 2500K on air cooling and 5.3Ghz with water cooling. Crazy insane.

Cant wait for my 2500k to arrive in the morning :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can someone please help me properly overclock my GSKILL memory?

I had a scare and messed with the multiplier and it wouldn't boot. A CMOS reset got me back and the ram is ok but I want to know what a good OC is. Not looking to push too hard on this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LiquidMetal14 said:
Can someone please help me properly overclock my GSKILL memory?

I had a scare and messed with the multiplier and it wouldn't boot. A CMOS reset got me back and the ram is ok but I want to know what a good OC is. Not looking to push too hard on this.
Leave it at stock and don't worry about it.

Arsenic

Anyone knows the name of that program that states the current condition of your SSD drive? I guess thats how i should describe it.

I don't know why but the space available took a sudden drop last week (90% used up from around 50%) after installing 2 Autodesk programs. After that that numbers fluctuated from 3GB available up to 9GB available back to 4GB, which no action taken whatsoever (no deletes, just simple startup and shutdowns). Should I worry? I have a C300 I think, 60GB.

LiquidMetal14

Hazaro said:
Leave it at stock and don't worry about it.
It's back at stock. I got artifacts and 3d mark wouldn't even finish. I will simply upgrade to higher speeds in the future instead of messing with timings.

knitoe

Arsenic said:
Anyone knows the name of that program that states the current condition of your SSD drive? I guess thats how i should describe it.

I don't know why but the space available took a sudden drop last week (90% used up from around 50%) after installing 2 Autodesk programs. After that that numbers fluctuated from 3GB available up to 9GB available back to 4GB, which no action taken whatsoever (no deletes, just simple startup and shutdowns). Should I worry? I have a C300 I think, 60GB.
Get SSDLife free version
http://ssd-life.com/

sarcastor

738808_20195e6ec1.jpg

i currently have a 3007wfp+2007fp on a geforce 8800gt. i plan to get a 2nd 2007fp but i want a video card that can handle all 3 monitors and play battlefield 3 decently (but only on the 3007wfp)

is there any video card out there that's not too expensive? like around $150 and preferably nvidia? all these new naming convention confuse me :(

I'm running a athlon II x4 620 with 4gb ram. Also i just notice my mobo has a built-in Radeon HD3200. Can I run two monitors on the 8800GT and the third on the radeon?

Can someone please (third and last time asking) explain to me if Crossfire works in ATI tray tools without the CCC suite? Can I still use profiles? I'm getting my new parts in tomorrow.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Trying again for the new page (x2). ^_^

I need advice on a new monitor. I'm wanting to spend around $150-200. What would you folks suggest?

antonz

sarcastor said:
738808_20195e6ec1.jpg

i currently have a 3007wfp+2007fp on a geforce 8800gt. i plan to get a 2nd 2007fp but i want a video card that can handle all 3 monitors and play battlefield 3 decently (but only on the 3007wfp)

is there any video card out there that's not too expensive? like around $150 and preferably nvidia? all these new naming convention confuse me :(

I'm running a athlon II x4 620 with 4gb ram. Also i just notice my mobo has a built-in Radeon HD3200. Can I run two monitors on the 8800GT and the third on the radeon?

You could upgrade to a GTX 460. 768MB version can be gotten around 150 these days after rebate and the 1GB for a bit more. Doubles the performance of the 8800GT roughly

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OneEightZero said:
Trying again for the new page (x2). ^_^

I need advice on a new monitor. I'm wanting to spend around $150-200. What would you folks suggest?

I bought this ACER monitor, just under $200 on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009162

I don't have a point of comparison, but it's super sharp and it's been right for gaming. The PQ has been great in everything I've played. It can do 1080p, which is essential for PC gaming. No complaints so far.

I'm also looking for a monitor and found an affordable IPS from LG but it seems to have issues (clouding/uneven backlight mainly). I have actually seen the Samsung 2333 locally and it was priced a little higher than the LG IPS of the same size. Will be reading about it.

sarcastor

antonz said:
You could upgrade to a GTX 460. 768MB version can be gotten around 150 these days after rebate and the 1GB for a bit more. Doubles the performance of the 8800GT roughly

can one GTX 460 support 3 monitors, or do I need 2 of them in SLI? Yes i googled it and i get different answers, so apparently half of the internet is wrong :(

antonz

sarcastor said:
can one GTX 460 support 3 monitors, or do I need 2 of them in SLI? Yes i googled it and i get different answers, so apparently half of the internet is wrong :(
I think there is a specific model that was made that can but generally no. You could get a 6850 from ATI thats basically identical to a 460 and that will support 3

knitoe

Naked Snake said:
How does PVA compare to IPS? I'm also looking for a monitor and found an affordable IPS from LG but it seems to have issues (clouding/uneven backlight mainly).
IPS > PVA > TN.

Generally, IPS have better colors, but worse blacks. They both have much better image and viewing angles than TN. The only advantage TN has is faster refresh rate = better for gaming.

Soodes

I just upgraded my CPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU and bought an additional 5770 to run in crossfire. The PCI-E slots are right next to each other so the graphics cards are almost touching, and in benchmarks the upper card reaches up to 100 degrees Celsius. While gaming (only short sessions so far) it's been at around 90. I've adjusted the fans manually to increase their speed a bit faster but to no improvement. The upper is idling at around 60 while the lower is at 38.

Not sure what I can do, install additional fans or am I stuck with this until the card gives in? As I'm on a somewhat tight budget

Here's two pics, my cable management sucks

http://i54.tinypic.com/21b1wf5.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/347cpl3.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wazzim said:
I ordered this after checking some reviews, that's enough for a 2500k, GTX460OC and a couple of fans right?
That will do.
Sandldan said:
I just upgraded my CPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU and bought an additional 5770 to run in crossfire. The PCI-E slots are right next to each other so the graphics cards are almost touching, and in benchmarks the upper card reaches up to 100 degrees Celsius. While gaming (only short sessions so far) it's been at around 90. I've adjusted the fans manually to increase their speed a bit faster but to no improvement. The upper is idling at around 60 while the lower is at 38.

Not sure what I can do, install additional fans or am I stuck with this until the card gives in? As I'm on a somewhat tight budget

You can unscrew the heatsink and should be able to reapply thermal paste to the cooler.

Lime

Just got me a heatpiped, 2 fan 6950 and it is pure bliss. It is very quiet (even under full load) and it was incredibly easy flashing the bios and unlocking the shaders. I had some problems with the AMD drivers messing up my Flash plugin, but otherwise everything is buttery smooth. Went from a 4890, so both the noise level and performance are much improved. Can't wait to try out some DX11 games this spring.

OK so my parts won't be here for another week but I was just wondering if someone could give me a quick overview of what programs I should download in anticipation of stress testing it and what kind of temps I should be looking at for when its idle/not idle. Thanks!

LiquidMetal14

Wazzim said:
I ordered this after checking some reviews, that's enough for a 2500k, GTX460OC and a couple of fans right?
Under load you will not reach that unless you do crazy mad scientist stuff. I bought the 600w modular one (OCZ) and it has worked as the box said. Good PSU.

But damn lol What is that conversion rate into dollars? I paid 64 USD for mine.

Lime said:
Just got me a heatpiped, 2 fan 6950 and it is pure bliss. It is very quiet (even under full load) and it was incredibly easy flashing the bios and unlocking the shaders. I had some problems with the AMD drivers messing up my Flash plugin, but otherwise everything is buttery smooth. Went from a 4890, so both the noise level and performance are much improved. Can't wait to try out some DX11 games this spring.
Start with the Heaven Benchmark and 3dMark 11. And what cooler did you buy? I found the Artic XTREME Plus with the VR001 KIT for under 60 USD. Everything about it seems like the way to go and at 100% fan speed it's about the same db as the stock fan at 20%. Seems to shave off up to 36C if you're running it at 100% all the time (which you shouldn't need to with a custom fan profile).

Lime

LiquidMetal14 said:
Under load you will not reach that unless you do crazy mad scientist stuff. I bought the 600w modular one (OCZ) and it has worked as the box said. Good PSU.

Start with the Heaven Benchmark and 3dMark 11. And what cooler did you buy? I found the Artic XTREME Plus with the VR001 KIT for under 60 USD. Everything about it seems like the way to go and at 100% fan speed it's about the same db as the stock fan at 20%. Seems to shave off up to 36C if you're running it at 100% all the time (which you shouldn't need to with a custom fan profile).

It isn't a custom-cooler, it's Club 3D's new line of cards. Instead of the vapor chamber, it's one long heatpipe and 2 silent fans. Look at this:

club3d-hd6950-1gb-1_x500.jpg

I'll try out Furmark and 3dmark11 when I get home from work.

LiquidMetal14

Or you can play Crysis for about 40 minutes and monitor temps too. If you run the Heaven benchmark, put it on loop as 1 run isn't gonna mean much until temps plateau. Leave Furmark running and do your browsing to stress it a little more.

And that fan/GPU seems to be from a German site no? Looks nice. If it can produce the same or close to same results as the XTREME Plus then that is impressive.

Looking at the site more, it's nice they ship the cards like that with a much better fan than a stock one. Wish I could've found an already put together Arctic 6950. It's not hard really and the Arctic has everything covered with all the heatsinks and such. I will post my results when I get it in a few days.

Wazzim

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:

I paid €59,- for mine, about 80 bucks..

Yeah it's hard being from Europe lol.

LiquidMetal14

Wazzim said:
I paid €59,- for mine, about 80 bucks..

Yeah it's hard being from Europe lol.
You're gonna love that 2500k. I'm running mine at 4.4ghz (I don't find the need to go higher) and it's been like a rock.

Wazzim

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
You're gonna love that 2500k. I'm running mine at 4.4ghz (I don't find the need to go higher) and it's been like a rock.
4.4ghz is pretty damn amazing compared to what the limit was on the old cpus, I'm gonna leave it on 4.0 the first months though.

LiquidMetal14

Wazzim said:
4.4ghz is pretty damn amazing compared to what the limit was on the old cpus, I'm gonna leave it on 4.0 the first months though.
In honesty, 4ghz is exactly what I had in mind when first talking but the crew here convinced me to go higher since I got a good fan/heatsink (the one in the OP).

Not to be a whore but I got an extra one that is unopened if you want. I will PM you as it's just sitting around. I idle at 30C, even when testing it at a 24/7 OC (meaning no speedstep).

Knch

Ecrofirt said:
Is Windows going to freak out if I change the mode from AHCI to RAID after Windows is already installed? I know is BSODs if you go from IDE to AHCI mode.
When going from one hard disk to a raid setup you'll have to reformat the drives and install different drivers.

Making an image of your hard disk might work if the correct drivers are available to Windows, but a reinstall will save you from a lot of trouble.

LiquidMetal14

Cross posting this from the B/S/T thread and will be the only time I make this post here.

Selling a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 CPU fan/heatsink. If you're building a PC this is the best (if not one of the best) air coolers around. I am getting 28-30C on 4.4ghz idle clocks (1.32v).

I ordered one from Tigerdirect after I ordered from Newegg since their shipping was lagging. It's sitting here not even out of the shipping box. I will pop it open to get my invoice out but nothing has been tampered with.

I can part with it for 35 shipped UPS/tracking. I can bring it down some but within reason. Shipping will be 5-7 dollars for me so again, I can go down a little. Paypal is fine.

Intel Socket:
LGA 1366 / 1156 / 1155 / 775 *

AMD Socket:
AM3 / AM2+ / AM2

Intel
Core™ i7 Extreme / Core™ i7 / Core™ i5 / Core™ i3 / Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Quad / Core™2 Duo / Pentium / Celeron

AMD
Phenom™ II X4 / Phenom™ II X3 / Phenom™ II X2 / Phenom™ X4 / Phenom™ X3 / Athlon™ II X4 / Athlon™ II X3 / Athlon™ II X2 / Athlon™ X2 / Athlon™ / Sempron™

MisterNoisy

Sandldan said:

Looks like you're using an Apevia case. :) What are you using as an intake fan in the front of the chassis? If you don't have anything there, correct that immediately - most of those cases have a mounting point for at least a 80mm fan, but usually don't ship with one in that location - it will bring in cool air from the front almost directly inline with your video cards. You probably don't even really have to spend anything - just move the fan you have in the top of the case to the front intake position for starters.

Beyond that, if you're feeling frisky, I'd try modding in/installing a 120mm fan in the left-side panel adjacent to the cards and trying it in both intake and exhaust modes to see which offers greater benefit to you.

TBH, I'd look at replacing the case with something with a bit more airflow and using the Apevia as a modding project for later.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
knitoe said:
IPS > PVA > TN.

Generally, IPS have better colors, but worse blacks. They both have much better image and viewing angles than TN. The only advantage TN has is faster refresh rate = better for gaming.

Ooh, sorry I missed your post before. ^_^

Yeah, I am wanting this for gaming, and the monitor you suggested has a 8ms refresh rate. That'll probably lead to ghosting, right?

Snuggler said:
I bought this ACER monitor, just under $200 on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009162

I don't have a point of comparison, but it's super sharp and it's been right for gaming. The PQ has been great in everything I've played. It can do 1080p, which is essential for PC gaming. No complaints so far.

Adding that one to 'the list'. ^_^

Any other monitor suggestions?

Would it be bad if I mixed a 4GB DDR3 1333 AData stick and a 4GB Kingston with the same specs? I have always known "don't mix RAM brands" as a safety rule, but a sales person was arguing with me today that's it's perfectly fine.

I got the AData stick for really cheap, and can't find matching one. So I either return it and buy two expensive Kingston sticks, or I just buy one and mix the two. It's an Intel H67 board with 4 memory slots.

Ecrofirt

Does anyone have experience with MSI motherboards?

I just bought this one and set up my computer with it: http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&prod_no=2078

It's got a Live Update feature that's supposed to be able to go out to the MSI website, find the latest BIOS, and update the BIOS on the motherboard. This can be done either from within the BIOS itself or from within Windows.

Neither is working for me.

In BIOS it's telling me it can't find any updates.
In Windows, it says it can't identify my motherboard or BIOS version.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Is there anything I can do to get the Live Update feature working?

LegoDad

LiquidMetal14 said:
Cross posting this from the B/S/T thread and will be the only time I make this post here.

Selling a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 CPU fan/heatsink. If you're building a PC this is the best (if not one of the best) air coolers around. I am getting 28-30C on 4.4ghz idle clocks (1.32v).

I ordered one from Tigerdirect after I ordered from Newegg since their shipping was lagging. It's sitting here not even out of the shipping box. I will pop it open to get my invoice out but nothing has been tampered with.

I can part with it for 35 shipped UPS/tracking. I can bring it down some but within reason. Shipping will be 5-7 dollars for me so again, I can go down a little. Paypal is fine.

Intel Socket:
LGA 1366 / 1156 / 1155 / 775 *

AMD Socket:
AM3 / AM2+ / AM2

Intel
Core™ i7 Extreme / Core™ i7 / Core™ i5 / Core™ i3 / Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Quad / Core™2 Duo / Pentium / Celeron

AMD
Phenom™ II X4 / Phenom™ II X3 / Phenom™ II X2 / Phenom™ X4 / Phenom™ X3 / Athlon™ II X4 / Athlon™ II X3 / Athlon™ II X2 / Athlon™ X2 / Athlon™ / Sempron™

Just FYI it's $30 with free shipping from newegg...

Erebus

LiquidMetal14 said:

Is Accelero XTREME Plus worth the $84 for a GTX 460? I'd like to know if there are any other cheap alternatives as well.

My card's stock cooler is way too loud for my liking and I expect it to be even worse as the summer approaches. Plus, I can't go any higher than 850MHz on core clock without temp getting crazy high.

LiquidMetal14

DarkUSS said:
Is Accelero XTREME Plus worth the $84 for a GTX 460? I'd like to know if there are any other cheap alternatives as well.

My card's stock cooler is way too loud for my liking and I expect it to be even worse as the summer approaches. Plus, I can't go any higher than 850MHz on core clock without temp getting crazy high.
Hmmm, let me PM you with a link to where I paid for mine. I got it cheaper than that. And I got the heatsinks and such for it too. They are basically required.

caliblue15 said:
Just FYI it's $30 with free shipping from newegg...
I got it with 3 day for 35. As I said, I can come down but I don't want to take a bath in it lol

mclaren777

Paired with a decent SSD controller, write lifespan is a non-issue. Note that I only fold Intel, Crucial/Micron/Marvell and SandForce into this category. Write amplification goes up by up to an order of magnitude with the cheaper controllers. Characterizing this is what I've been spending much of the past six months doing. I'm still not ready to present my findings but as long as you stick with one of these aforementioned controllers you'll be safe, at least as far as NAND wear is concerned.
More

Soodes

MisterNoisy said:
Looks like you're using an Apevia case. :) What are you using as an intake fan in the front of the chassis? If you don't have anything there, correct that immediately - most of those cases have a mounting point for at least a 80mm fan, but usually don't ship with one in that location - it will bring in cool air from the front almost directly inline with your video cards. You probably don't even really have to spend anything - just move the fan you have in the top of the case to the front intake position for starters.

Beyond that, if you're feeling frisky, I'd try modding in/installing a 120mm fan in the left-side panel adjacent to the cards and trying it in both intake and exhaust modes to see which offers greater benefit to you.

TBH, I'd look at replacing the case with something with a bit more airflow and using the Apevia as a modding project for later.

Yep, using an Apevia case I bought for my last computer. Spent around 120€ on it so I'd like to get the most out of it.

I tried swapping the graphics card and found a 120mm fan lying around which I just placed loosely in the front of the case, will have to do until I get one that actually fits. Now both cards barely reach 80 during 2 hours of playtime, all good now :)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
MisterNoisy said:
Between those two, I'd imagine the Corsair is the easy choice, if only because of the single-rail design. Here's a review of one of the other units in this CWT-built line, if it helps. To be honest, I'd budget just a bit more and get this unit, though admittedly, it's a lot easier to spend other people's money. ;)

bought the TX650 today.

works great. Thanks for the help.

antonz

my 2500k and P8P67 Pro-M Arrived today. First thing I notied is wow the Intel box has shrunk since i bought my Core2Quad heh. Its such a tiny box

MisterNoisy

Sandldan said:
Yep, using an Apevia case I bought for my last computer. Spent around 120€ on it so I'd like to get the most out of it.

I tried swapping the graphics card and found a 120mm fan lying around which I just placed loosely in the front of the case, will have to do until I get one that actually fits. Now both cards barely reach 80 during 2 hours of playtime, all good now :)

Sweet. :D You can probably just ziptie that fan inside or in front of the drive cage to keep it from moving around - it's admittedly a little silly looking, but it'll get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom