• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
That the Logitech Illuminated? How do you like it? I got a Lycosa and the fucking thing has been nothing but trouble. Going to get a new Logitech keyboard and probably mouse for my new machine.

Absolutely love it. It has a similar action to the Lycosa though, which is also scissor switch. Definitely a smoother keyboard overall though.

Honestly, I have a Razer Mamba mouse, and it's enough to dissuade me from ever buying Razer again. The hardware is poorly built, and the drivers are a nightmare.

JoeBoy101

TheExodu5 said:
Absolutely love it. It has a similar action to the Lycosa though, which is also scissor switch. Definitely a smoother keyboard overall though.

Honestly, I have a Razer Mamba mouse, and it's enough to dissuade me from ever buying Razor again. The hardware is poorly built, and the drivers are a nightmare.

I went all Razer for my current machine and probably never will again. Lycosa has been an issue almost the whole time. I have the Lachesis as my mouse and though its not bad, it has a tendency to skip on me because its feet accumulate dust and occasionally get in under the sensor. Not worth the cost.

TheExodu5

Banned
One note on that keyboard though...I heard on some models (not sure if it's the old ones or the new ones), there is some ghosting, with the most notable blocked combinations being Shift+W+Space. That being said, my keyboard does not have this issue.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
3.6GHz is fine and a very conservative number to shoot for. Should be able to run that under 1.3V.

Yeah, it's just an OC I feel comfortable running full-time. I don't know as I want to run something like 4Ghz 24/7 as I don't know as I want to have the vcore that high, and I can tell on my particular chip I'd probably need to be in the 1.32-1.35 range at least to get there. At 3.6Ghz I'm down to 1.23 vcore so far and I'm guessing it can still go lower and remain stable, but I'm tempted to just leave it because my load temps w/ prime95 small FFTs are like 49-50c .

My 5850 is clearly a jobber though and I don't think I'm going to be able to push it that far unfortunately, the memory seems pretty touchy.

2San

JoeBoy101 said:
A) OCing a new SB chip sounds even easier than before. Besides, its only $10 to possibly do it down the road, better to do it now than lock yourself out and want to do it later. Get the 'K' chip.

B) A decent cooler will cost between $20 and $30. Again, may not need it, but given costs, better to just throw down and get it.
Ok so now we have

mobo = ASUS P8P67 (143 euro)
CPU = Intel i5 2500K (209 euro)
Cooler = Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B SCMG-2100 (39 euro)
GPU = Colorful iGame460 GTX (209 euro)
RAM = Corsair 2x4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, XMS3 (100 euro)
PSU= Coolmaster silentpro M700 - 700 watt (107 euro)
DVD drive =Samsung SH-S223C (17 euro)
HDD = Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ (52 euro)
case = Xigmatek Asgard - Midtowermodel (37 euro)
OS = Windows 7 Home 64bit (85 euro)

total = 998

Would that cooler do the trick?

edit: Seems like that cooler is pretty hard to install. o_O

JoeBoy101

2San said:
Ok so now we have

mobo = ASUS P8P67 (143 euro)
CPU = Intel i5 2500K (209 euro)
Cooler = Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B SCMG-2100 (39 euro)
GPU = Colorful iGame460 GTX (209 euro)
RAM = Corsair 2x4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, XMS3 (100 euro)
PSU= Coolmaster silentpro M700 - 700 watt (107 euro)
DVD drive =Samsung SH-S223C (17 euro)
HDD = Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ (52 euro)
case = Xigmatek Asgard - Midtowermodel (37 euro)
OS = Windows 7 Home 64bit (85 euro)

total = 998

Would that cooler do the trick?

edit: Seems like that cooler is pretty hard to install. o_O

Can't say to brands, but otherwise looks good. If you're getting... cold... feet on the Scythe, try looking at the Cooler Master 212. There's alot of decent options for cooling out there. One thing though, make sure that you're cooler is going to have enough space in your case. When you get everything in (as in, from the shipper) check that first to make sure it will work.

undu

For Sandy Bridge cpus there's no need to get an expensive cooler, get a coolermaster TX3 or a 212+ if you really want a cooler (the first one costs around 13 euros, the second about 23)

The i7-2600K I worked with managed to skip past 5.2 GHz while pushing a mere 68°C. I'm sure you're wondering what cooler kept this processor running so cool, and here's the shocker: it was a 92mm Cooler Master Hyper TX3.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13488&Itemid=99999999

TheExodu5

Banned
I have the Mugen 2. Probably one of the best coolers you can get for the money...but it is absolutely massive. Installation is a 2 man job, as someone needs to hold the tower and backplate together while you put in the screws.

But yeah, Hyper 212+ is a safe bet.

Mr_Brit

Banned
undu said:
For Sandy Bridge cpus there's no need to get an expensive cooler, get a coolermaster TX3 or a 212+ if you really want a cooler (the first one costs around 13 euros, the second about 23)

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13488&Itemid=99999999
Terrible advice. That thing will be super noisy and hot at even stock settings. A Hyper 212+ is the minimum aftermarket heatsink you should be looking at, anything below that would be a waste of money.

2San

Ok 212+ seems good to me a lot cheaper as well(25 euro). I am going to call though to make sure it all fits. That thing is huge. :O

edit: seems most good heat sinks are big. :eek:

Looking to put together a system very similar to the build on the page but I have a few questions...

1. SATA cables? Does the motherboard, hard drive and/or optical drive come with them or do I need to add some to my order?

2. Newegg open box? Is it safe to save a few bucks and go with the open box items?

3. Does anyone know when newegg will start selling the X4 840? I'm sure I couldn't tell the speed difference from the 640 listed on the build here, but for the same price I'd wait a couple of days...

Thanks for help!

xero273

homerhendrix said:
Looking to put together a system very similar to the build on the page but I have a few questions...

1. SATA cables? Does the motherboard, hard drive and/or optical drive come with them or do I need to add some to my order?

SATA cables come with the motherboard.

JoeBoy101

homerhendrix said:

2. Newegg open box? Is it safe to save a few bucks and go with the open box items?

3. Does anyone know when newegg will start selling the X4 840? I'm sure I couldn't tell the speed difference from the 640 listed on the build here, but for the same price I'd wait a couple of days...

Thanks for help!

1) Nope, will come with SATA cables. You don't need to buy. Or, more to the point, mobo should come with the cables.

2) Ehhhh. Depends on how comfortable you are with it. And the item. HDD, I could see. Mobo, chip, or memory, not so much. Typically, I avoid open box items.

3) No clue. My sights are on the SB chips.

Jin34

TheExodu5 said:
It's pretty liquid compared to most of the stuff out there.

So that's the current best one? It might just be worth it for the easier installation, AS 5 is not very noob friendly with it's thickness, I made a mess and probably a terrible job at applying it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jin34 said:
So that's the current best one? It might just be worth it for the easier installation, AS 5 is not very noob friendly with it's thickness, I made a mess and probably a terrible job at applying it.

MX-4 is supposed to be quite easy, yeah.

Innovation Cooling Diamond is supposedly also very easy to use, and extremely thick.

They should all be relatively easy to use though. Just do the following:

1) Buy Q-Tips and 99% isopropylic alcohol
2) Pick up all the old thermal grease with Q-Tips dipped in the alcohol. You might go through a dozen or so Q-Tips before it's all clean.
3) Follow the directions on the thermal paste. Generally, you'll usually put a pea sized amount of paste right in the middle (in a little ball), and just push the heatsink down onto it. Some will recommend you put a small line instead of a pea sized ball.
4) Wiggle the heatsink left and right a bit, but don't lift it off. This will remove air bubble.
5) Screw it in.

Jin34

So my SpinPoint F3 from Amazon just got here and I was wondering:

1. Since my Win 7 is the upgrade version from when they did the student discount, is it better to just install an older version of Windows then 7 so it gets activated or do the tricks ppl use to do a clean install on an empty disc work fine?

2. Since my current boot drive will now be for storage, All I really have to do is make sure the spinpoint has boot priority and the old drive will be there like a slave drive with all the files, correct?

Wrekt

TheExodu5 said:
Just go with the 922.

Same size as the 912, but with more cooling, and more HDD cages.
But the 912 is actually smaller than the 922. Although you are right, there is another fan at the bottom on the 922 that is not present in the 912. I just can't imagine a significant amount of cooling can come in from below the case.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wrekt said:
But the 912 is actually smaller than the 922. Although you are right, there is another fan at the bottom on the 922 that is not present in the 912. I just can't imagine a significant amount of cooling can come in from below the case.

The 912 comes with a 120mm exhaust and 120mm intake. It can fit a 120mm side intake.

The 922 comes with a 120mm exhaust, 200mm intake, and 200mm top exhaust. It can also fit a 200mm side intake.

Keep in mind a 200mm can push probably 3 times as much air as a 120mm, while remaining just as quiet.

You're right though...the 922 is a few inches deeper.

Jin34

Wrekt said:

Only reasons not to get the 922 is if you REALL hate the looks and /or the lack of dust filters which is what kills it for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jin34 said:
Only reasons not to get the 922 is if you REALL hate the looks and /or the lack of dust filters which is what kills it for me.

Yep. Those are pretty much the only 2 problems. HAF X remedies one of these problems, but it's also huge.

The upcoming Corsair 650D is looking killer though, despite its price.

sam27368

Banned
Quick question - my new set up

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair XMS3 (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel
Prolimatech Megahalems Performance CPU Cooler with Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000RPM 120mm Fan
2x (for SLI) EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
2x Samsung P2450H 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Glossy Black
Coolermaster HAF X Gaming Tower Case - Black (RC-942)
Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive
LG BH10LS30 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Drive - Black (OEM)
Akasa Freedom Power 1000W Modular Power Supply
Logitech Wireless Desktop Wave (920-000280)
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (ST31000528AS)
Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller - PC / Xbox 360

I've been told the 1000w psu won't arrive due to it being out of stock but the rest is arriving on time for some reason. I have an old 500w PSU that is compatible with PCI Express so I'm guessing it'll work with the system?
Also, will it be powerful enough if I just use the system without the extra gfx card for SLI to set it up until I wait for the new PSU?

Smash88

Banned
sam27368 said:

I've been told the 1000w psu won't arrive due to it being out of stock but the rest is arriving on time for some reason. I have an old 500w PSU that is compatible with PCI Express so I'm guessing it'll work with the system?
Also, will it be powerful enough if I just use the system without the extra gfx card for SLI to set it up until I wait for the new PSU?

No it won't. Wait for your new PSU.

Also I've never heard of that PSU, should've went for a Corsair PSU.

This is mostly a repost but my Athlon 64+ 3000(Clawhammer) Main PC is at least 5 years old And I need a refresh So I need Help. It's been five years since I've looked for new hardware for my main PC. So I need a little help on this new build.

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: Athlon 64+ 3000 , 1gb ram, Asus nforce 3 mb, nvidia 6600gt card.
Budget: 1000$ tops (canadian dollar though)
Main Use: 3d animation(3ds max and motion builder), Light 3d rendering, Light Gaming(I game mostly on consoles but I need to play Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 on pc), general use.
Monitor Resolution: Will upgrade to a 1080p monitor down the road, but i have a 4:3 lcd screen as of this moment.
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2
Are reusing any parts?: none
When will you build?: in a month
Will you be overclocking?: No

I also need windows 7 in this budget.
I want to build a rig with a Core I5 2500k CPU.
What do you suggest. P67 or h67?

Many questions, and not enough answers.
thanks

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
P67 period.

I guess I might as well put together that $900 build now...
Problem is I'm not sure what motherboard to put in since there has been no user feedback.

Also, to everyone with ASUS P8P67 BOARDS. There seems to be some BIOS issues with overclocking. ASUS has put out a new BIOS or two, but I'm not entirely sure whether it is fixed.
**There is a multiplier block on all boards until updated, might have just been a line or two I misread.

I was planning to get a P8P67 Pro, so this is a heads up. Unsure of a UD4 or that MSI board at this point. Still might get the ASUS if that stuff is worked out.

You can see some of the prelim benchmarks and looks in the news section at the top of the OP.

The Neeeeeeeews:
1/5/2011:
Top Sandy Bridge Reviews: [H]OCP, Anandtech, The Tech Report
Some good P67 board reviews: **TechReport four board round up, Asus P8P67 and P8P67 Pro (Legit Reviews), [H]OCP MSI P67A-GD65
New SSDs incoming: (Feb = Crucial C400), SF-2000 later, Intel G3 sooner?, SF-2000 OCZ Prelim Testing

knitoe

Hazaro said:
P67 period.

I guess I might as well put together that $900 build now...
Problem is I'm not sure what motherboard to put in since there has been no user feedback.

Also, to everyone with ASUS P8P67 BOARDS. There seems to be some BIOS issues with overclocking. ASUS has put out a new BIOS or two, but I'm not entirely sure whether it is fixed.

I was planning to get a P8P67 Pro, so this is a heads up. Unsure of a UD4 or that MSI board at this point. Still might get the ASUS if that stuff is worked out.

You can see some of the prelim benchmarks and looks in the news section at the top of the OP.

The Neeeeeeeews:
1/5/2011:
Top Sandy Bridge Reviews: [H]OCP, Anandtech, The Tech Report
Some good P67 board reviews: **TechReport four board round up, Asus P8P67 and P8P67 Pro (Legit Reviews), [H]OCP MSI P67A-GD65
New SSDs incoming: (Feb = Crucial C400), SF-2000 later, Intel G3 sooner?, SF-2000 OCZ Prelim Testing
What Asus bios issues are you referring to? Only one I heard of is the CPU D2 revision won't overclock pass 47-50X multiplier, but that applies to every motherboard except Intel's since they had it exclusive pre-release.

Fix here: http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15952

ZZMitch

GAF, my PC has still been experiencing crashes (during games and right after start up) and I am going to update my bios since I just checked and it hasnt been updated since 5/21.

I went to the ASUS site and found my motherboard
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9i872VNaAILRp8bS&templete=2

I am going to download the latest one, but I have never done a bios update before... is it a simple download or is there anything I need to do or anything?

People have been having bios-related overclocking issues for months now with the SB ES chips. Most would just hit a wall even when it was clear the CPU could do more, or had already clocked higher on other P67 boards.

Asus really needs to handle that.

Smash88 said:
sam27368 said:

No it won't. Wait for your new PSU.

Also I've never heard of that PSU, should've went for a Corsair PSU.
Yes it will. As long as he has the necessary connectors and adapters, he should be good to go. That PSU would have to be incredibly poor to not allow for him to do a basic setup of GPU, SSD, HDD and motherboard.

Akasa makes fans and other components. Many of us just recommend Corsair because it's an easy choice that is usually reliable. His new PSU is a Super Flower-built, bronze-rated unit with good efficiency. Don't know how quiet the fan would be, but the rest is fairly solid.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
What Asus bios issues are you referring to? Only one I heard of is the CPU D2 revision won't overclock pass 47-50X multiplier, but that applies to every motherboard except Intel's since they had it exclusive pre-release.

Fix here: http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15952
Is that right? That's good then.
It's been a bit hectic trying to keep up with everything the past few days.

I'll probably still wait a few days past launch to get more feedback since I want to make sure. Probably get the P8P67 Pro myself then as well.

~Kinggi~

Banned
QUICK question for the pc vets. Im about to open my 4870x2 card to try and lower the tempos and see if there is a bunch of dust i need to get out. I never tinker with hardware so the last few days have been some firsts for me.

-My question is i have MX-2 thermal compound that was used on my cpu Zalman. Will this be fine for my 4870x2 gpu cores?

Also, in case something goes horribly wrong, what are some of the current decently priced GPU cards out there that surpass the x2 by a good amount? Ati or Nvidia at this point i dont think it matters to me. I have a Corsair 750 tx psu.

Also any other tips before i dissect my baby?

I should also mention im gonna use Isoproyl alcohol at 70% and lint free wipes i got from office depot to clean off the old thermal.

matmanx1 said:
The thermal compound should be applied in as thin a layer as possible. It's only job is to fill in tiny imperfections in the metal. I've heard of people using razor blades or even business cards to apply the compound. Arctic Silver Ceramique is made specifically for GPU applications and is supposed to be excellent although I have not used it myself.

Thanks for the response, didnt know it had to be that thin.

matmanx1

The ONLY Razer Keyboard worth a darn is the Black Widow. It's a well built mechanical board that also happens to be good looking. And the Ultimate version has great back lighting with individual blue LED's under each key and 4 brightness settings. It's really just a rebranded iOne Scorpius that has been given a more attractive shell and a better feature set but it should last a very long time with proper care.

I've not had experience with their other mice but my DeathAdder has been a pleasure to own for the several months that I've had it. I wanted a clean and well shaped mouse that felt good in my hand and was wired, not wireless (I've had alot of problems with bad wireless reception on peripherals in my gaming room) and the DeathAdder has fit that bill perfectly. It fits my hand better than any Logitech I've ever owned and I've had a bunch of them.

I got my friend's PC assembled and up and running today. It's amazing to me how far ease of assembly and build has come since I started putting together computers back in the late 90's. It was also my first experience with an SSD and I can see where all the hype is coming from. I can't wait to get mine put together with my new SSD next week.

Here's the build he's ending up with:

Antec 300 case $60
Antec TruePower II 550w (hand me down from my PC)
MSI 870-G45 mobo (from the budget build) $70
Athlon II x4 640 (from the budget build) $100
Kingston DDR3 1333 2GBx2 $23 each
G.Skill Phoenix 120GB SSD $199
Asus DVDRW $20
EVGA GTX 260 216 (hand me down from my PC)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit $100

Which put him right at $600 out of his $700 to spend. He's getting my video card and PSU for the other $100 to make the build work at that price point which is a great deal for him and gives me another $100 to use on my own build next week.

-viper-

Banned
-viper- said:
I have a 600W OCZ ModXStream powersupply and it is said to be SLI certified.

I am planning to buy the i5-2500k and a new MOBO to go with it, but am unsure whether I should get a SLI/Crossfire MOBO or a standard single GPU MOBO.

Is 600W enough power to power a SLI/Crossfire combo if I were to purchase a second GPU down the line?

Also, it says SLI certified but there is no mention of crossfire. Does this mean that my PSU can only run Nvidia dual cards and not AMD ATI ones?
Help?

mm04

-viper- said:

It depends on which video cards you plan on buying 2 of. Most power supply websites have power consumption calculators. Check those out and see if it can handle it. I have a Corsair 650w and I crossfire 2 5770s with no issues at all. But these new cards seem to be power hungry.

The Big Rig said:
Can anyone explain the issues, if there are any, of having a Crossfire system? I'm thinking about putting another 5770 in my build.

I don't know offhand of the known issues, but I either don't notice or don't seem to run into the issues most people bring up. It's been pretty good to me. Some games don't support Crossfire and you have to turn it off, like Darksiders, but otherwise I've been satisfied.

-viper-

Banned
mm04 said:
It depends on which video cards you plan on buying 2 of. Most power supply websites have power consumption calculators. Check those out and see if it can handle it. I have a Corsair 650w and I crossfire 2 5770s with no issues at all. But these new cards seem to be power hungry.

I don't know offhand of the known issues, but I either don't notice or don't seem to run into the issues most people bring up. It's been pretty good to me. Some games don't support Crossfire and you have to turn it off, like Darksiders, but otherwise I've been satisfied.
I think I'll probably stick with a single card. My PSU probably couldn't handle two cards. Plus the power draw as you said is so high. Don't want a big electricity bill at the end of each month :\

I think the 6950 seems like a safe bet for a decent priced card so I'll probably get that later on.

mm04 said:
How much of a bump did that other 5770 give you in terms of performance? I've only had issues maxing out a few games in 1080, but I have some extra cash.

matmanx1

Really pleased with the 6970 I put in to my rig today, even on the old Core 2 Duo. I've got 4xEQ Morphological AA turned on for the original Mass Effect and it makes a nice difference for that game. Geometry edges are noticeably smoothed and I'm not detecting any blurriness. It's one of the reasons I went with the Radeon this time around. Being able to "force" a post processing AA through the Catalyst driver for games with no native AA support is a nice feature.

REV 09

so i see mentions of keyboards/mice in here. I'm looking to upgrade my accessories. What say you GAF?

Keyboard?
Mouse?
Headset?
Keyboard/Gamepad thing impressions? namely Logitech G13?

mm04

The Big Rig said:
How much of a bump did that other 5770 give you in terms of performance? I've only had issues maxing out a few games in 1080, but I have some extra cash.

It scales pretty well. I pretty much play most games v-synched at 60fps at 1080p. Not in Metro 2033 though. That game is a killer on hardware. You're not gonna double your framerate, but you'll probably get a good 70 to 80% or so.

Ecto311

REV 09 said:
so i see mentions of keyboards/mice in here. I'm looking to upgrade my accessories. What say you GAF?

Keyboard?
Mouse?
Headset?
Keyboard/Gamepad thing impressions? namely Logitech G13?
Mx518 Wired mouse

I had a g9x because I heard it was better but the mx518 is great. Also fairly cheap on amazon. I got one for $25 with a $15 rebate. way better compared to the small $60 g9x for my big hands.

Also just got the gamecom 367 from plantronics. I really like it for a headset and my friends say I sound great over mumble.

Hylian7

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. I've got a Core 2 Duo E7400 right now overclocked to 3.33GHz. It's serving me well, but obviously I think I'm a bit stuck in the past with a dual core CPU. My options seem to pretty much go Core 2 Quad for now on this same motherboard, or just save up and eventually get a new motherboard and CPU. Is it worth it to get the Core 2 Quad, knowing I'm going to replace it in the soon-ish future?

Shambles

mm04 said:
This power supply calculator is pretty cool. According to this, I could crossfire 6950s rather easily with my Corsair TX650. At least I have that upgradeability option.

Wow it's actually fairly useful now. I remember the last time I looked at it it was completely out to lunch recommending a kilowatt supply for two mainstream cards.

Artanisix

Just wanted to say that I've put together a new rig as a first-time builder thanks to this thread! Everything worked out wonderfully!

One thing to note: The MSI-870 motherboard listed in the $600 build only comes with *one* SATA cable. You will need to purchase another cable to connect your optical drive. I knew this ahead of time but it's definitely worth pointing out.

Mr_Brit

Banned
CoilShot said:
0305111001289571454.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom