• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Think I'm going to go with the following:

Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
Akasa AK-FN057 Apache Super Silent 120mm Fan

Can't wait.

Edit: Since I'm spending so much anyway think I'll pick up a Razer Black Widow also :D

"Even the entry level P67 boards are like $130 :/"

The MSI P67s-c43 is only 118$. Doesn't have USB 3.0 though (or Crossfire). Also, Superbiiz apparently has a 15% or 15$ off 100 coupon going on right now (HELLO2011).

I mashed this out for my CPU+Mobo+RAM build

Asus P8P67 PRO
i5 2500K
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800 8GB

That should have been it but then I realized I couldn't carry over my CPU cooler so I need to get one of those now. Is there anything a step up from the oft recommended Hyper 212+

Then I realized how much I hated working in my Antec 900 so now I'm thinking about getting a new case. I want something roomy with nice cable management and cooling as well easy to clean (removable dust filters wherever its open to air). HAF X is the front runner but I prefer the aesthetics of the Corsair 600T.

This should have been so simple.

650d_a.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25260446&postcount=1434

51BTpi3XtyL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142&Tpk=scmg-2100

squinters

astigmatic
Ok I got a question.

Just put together a new pc with an i7-950 and I'm not too sure about the temps I'm getting out of the cpu. I'm using a hyper 212+ and my case is a Haf 922 so I thought things would be kept pretty cool. But when I tested stock settings using prime 95 I got up to 63° on one of my cores. Now overclocked at 4Ghz (CPU-Z says my voltage is at 1.216, but I could have sworn I set it higher in the bios), my max temp in prime now reaches up to 81°. I've already tried re-seating the heatsink once, but I didn't get any change in temps.

Should I be worried?

Celcius

°Temp. member
^^When priming, as long as its under 85C load its fine. It will be cooler during gaming anyway.
(However, that is a bit on the toasty side...)

squinters

astigmatic
celcius said:
^^When priming, as long as its under 85C load its fine. It will be cooler during gaming anyway.
Thanks, that's pretty relieving.

(However, that is a bit on the toasty side...)
Yea, I guess I was expecting more low 70's with my setup. But as long as it's stable, I'm fine with what I got.

matmanx1

Ikuu said:
Think I'm going to go with the following:

Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
Akasa AK-FN057 Apache Super Silent 120mm Fan

Can't wait.

Edit: Since I'm spending so much anyway think I'll pick up a Razer Black Widow also :D

I've become a big fan of my Black Widow. Mechanical keyboards are awesome and the Cherry Blue switches in that model are very light and quick.

Also responding to that pic of the Corsair cases - I think the White Special Edition case looks awesome and would be pretty great in the right room.

I've also got my Raven RV-02 in my hands now and am extremely impressed with the layout and build quality of the case. I would easily recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind spending $150'ish on a case.

AkIRA_22

·feist· said:

Nice, if I was in the market for a mid tower that would be number one with a bullet. It has the looks of the 800D and the air performance of a HAF. It ticks all the boxes. Now you have me thinking... If I get a mid tower then I need a new ATX motherboard (I have micro), and if I'm buying a MOBO I might as well buy a 2500K... You son of a bitch.

DILLON_predator.gif

ChRoNiTe

Hazaro said:
I'd go $150 minimum.
snack said:
Your friend is getting a good deal if you're selling all that stuff for only $100.
-viper- said:
I'd buy all that for $100.

Thanks for the input guys. I've been hassling him about getting a new computer since Starcraft 2 came out, so this will be a step in the right direction. I hope. :lol

Congrats.

AkIRA_22 said:
Nice, if I was in the market for a mid tower that would be number one with a bullet. It has the looks of the 800D and the air performance of a HAF. It ticks all the boxes. Now you have me thinking... If I get a mid tower then I need a new ATX motherboard (I have micro), and if I'm buying a MOBO I might as well buy a 2500K... You son of a bitch.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/DILLON_predator.gif
If Corsair is going to go through all the effort to try and get me to hand over my money, it's only fair that they take some from you lot as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Clydefrog said:
I don't need a new PC. I just formatted my computer last night, reinstalled Windows, and it's like having a brand new computer! SO NICE!

Get an SSD and you'll never have to do that again. :D

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Eaten By A Grue said:
Nothing is showing up on the list anymore! Nvidia High Definition Audio drivers are the only thing that shows up in device manager under sound now.
Right click and Show Disconnected/Disabled and see if anything comes up.

AkIRA_22

Eaten By A Grue said:
Bastards. Lucky I had my mobo CD, I had to reinstall the drivers again. Why the hell would Nvidia uninstall the onboard audio, it makes no sense.

'Cos Nvidia are sneaky bastards.

snack

Eaten By A Grue said:
wtf I just installed a GeForce570 and it disabled my onboard audio and replaced it with HDMI sound. How do I turn it back on?!
Try rebooting and checking your Onboard Audio in the BIOS. Sometimes you'll have to ENABLE the Onboard Audio instead of setting it to AUTO.

I didn't quite realize how big 180mm fans were, despite having seen plenty of 80 and 120mm fans in my life. FT02 is quite a bit larger than I anticipated.

matmanx1

Teknopathetic said:
I didn't quite realize how big 180mm fans were, despite having seen plenty of 80 and 120mm fans in my life. FT02 is quite a bit larger than I anticipated.

Yeah I had the same reaction when I opened up my RV02. Those babies are HUGE and there are 3 of them hanging out down there. The inside layout of the FT02 looks really, really similar to the RV02 except for being shorter in case length. I like the look of the FT02 though, very Lian Li esque.

I started my preliminary stuff tonight for OS backup and file transfer to my new system. I'm going to go ahead and put my 1TB drive into my old case tomorrow and move My Documents and my Steam folder over to it as that's where they will both be residing in my new build.

I'm actually building a PC for a friend of mine right now as well and he's getting my Antec True Power 550 PSU and GTX 260 216 to go in his system. I'm going to pull that stuff out of my existing case tomorrow as well and pop in my new Corsair 650HX PSU and Radeon 6970 temporarily just so I can get his box built.

As an aside I should mention I bought him the Antec 300 that I'd seen recommended here and elsewhere and for a $59 case it's very impressive. It looks alot more expensive than it's price would suggest and being an Antec it's a well made case. It's a little on the small side (the GTX 260 just fits without bumping into the HDD cage) but for a budget build I think it's extremely attractive.

I just finished installing my new 5870 from that Newegg deal. This thing is amazingly quiet (at least at idle) compared to my old card. Can't wait to put it through its paces. It handles Minecraft like a dream. :D

matmanx1 said:
As an aside I should mention I bought him the Antec 300 that I'd seen recommended here and elsewhere and for a $59 case it's very impressive. It looks alot more expensive than it's price would suggest and being an Antec it's a well made case. It's a little on the small side (the GTX 260 just fits without bumping into the HDD cage) but for a budget build I think it's extremely attractive.
Yeah, I like the look of it a lot better than a lot of the higher-end cases. You're right that it's a little cramped, and I wish it had a little better options for cable management, but all in all I can't complain for a $50-60 case.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Eaten By A Grue said:
wtf I just installed a GeForce570 and it disabled my onboard audio and replaced it with HDMI sound. How do I turn it back on?!

It's passing your onboard sound through the HDMI port. What's wrong with that?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Man im really pissed right now. First i come home to find my portable 500 gb drive completely dead. Its one of those black Western Digital ones and it seems like it tries to boot up but then gets stuck in a loop of inactivity.

Next, last night i tried to play Risen and it ran fine on max settings but i noticed my 4870x2 fan speed started to crank up real fast. Temps were over 100c. Ive noticed my card idling around 48c when it calms down. I have had fans running at 70% for the past year.

So i thought that my 4870x2 needed some cleaning, so i removed the card from my case and unplugged the power cables. Cleaned it with a compressed air can and blew a bunch of dust out. Put it back in the case. No improvement. In fact it seems maybe a little worse. I barely feel air blowing out the back. Months ago that thing used to crank out the air. The sound level seems just as loud as before at 70% (really loud) but i dont feel the air.

Temps are maybe on average 1c degree higher now.

What the fuck. I dont normally tinker with PC parts and i havent had the guts to do it till now and im hoping my card isnt dying in some way.

snack said:
Try rebooting and checking your Onboard Audio in the BIOS. Sometimes you'll have to ENABLE the Onboard Audio instead of setting it to AUTO.
That was the first thing that I checked, but it was enabled. For some reason installing the GeForce570 uninstalled my onboard audio and installed the HDMI audio drivers.

Chiggs said:
It's passing your onboard sound through the HDMI port. What's wrong with that?
The fact that I do not have my TV as my primary display and my rig is hooked up to a 5.1 sound system using the onboard audio. It could have installed its' drivers alongside my onboard audio, it did not have to uninstall it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Smokey said:
I was for a second. Actually had this discussion with a couple of other posters a few pages back. I'm leaning Nvidia because of their 3D implementation is superior to AMD and like I mentioned in my previous post one of my scenarios is 3D surround (3 monitors, all 3D) which I can only do with nvidia.

If I do go with the 30'' (no 3D), then I think the 6970 becomes a more attractive option.

That looks sweet :O.

I'd love to hear some impressions on some of your games with the 570 (and SLI when you get the other) since my build will be pretty similar to yours. I think your doing 1080p though right (the 32'' LCD)?

I know you game on a 30'' too, so thanks for the insight. It's looking like the 6970 would be the better option for the 2560x1600 scenario of mine, and the GTX 570 SLI for the 3D surround scenario.

This is killing me. I graduated in December and start working later this month and my employer cut a nice check to the school to pay for my last semester. Since I had already taken care of that though the check will be a refund to me:D . So I should start getting this thing moving towards the end of the month. Excited and anxious at the same time!
Give us an update once you are done making the decision. Also, try this thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1573598 or just ask your question at [H]. I know a lot of people there have experience with triple monitor setups.

Aselith

Does anyone know if barebones laptops are still manufactured? I was interested in looking at how they function and I've found some reference to them on the web but, everytime I look up a company that it mentions makes them, there's nothing on their website about it.

Smo21

Hazaro said:
Prelim outline:
Next Gen SSD 128GB (C400 in Feb, SF-2000 Q2?, I'll be building then getting an SSD later)
Samsung F4 2TB
ASUS P8P67 Pro
8GB DDR3
Corsair 750W
GTX 560/570

Thank you sir. I'll check to see if everything(aside from the SSD) is available sometime next week and start buying stuff asap.

itxaka

Defeatist
So the Crucial RealSSD C300 2,5" SSD 64 GB is the best SSD available fot SATA 6 rigth?

The thing is at 124€ so I think I'm gonna jump on it. Any other recommendations?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Did a bunch more research and it seems like the likely cause of my 4870x2 having high temps is there is a bunch of dust within the heatsinks in the card that i couldnt get at with compressed air spray through the vents.

At least i hope thats it.

Im gonna have to do surgery on it. I found some guides on how to disassemble it and shit. Only thing i am really worried about are damaging the thermal pads and having to clean and apply nerw thermal paste. I have some MX-2 that came with my PC i ordered online through AVA-Direct. I hear that is good. It should work with the gpu right?

Also, what is the best way to put the thermal stuff on the gpu? Im gonna have to buy isopropyl alcohol to rub off the existing shit. Do i put a dot of the stuff and then flatten it, or would it be better to evenly spread it around beforehand cause there are two cores and it could be tricky to squash and spread?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
itxaka said:
So the Crucial RealSSD C300 2,5" SSD 64 GB is the best SSD available fot SATA 6 rigth?

The thing is at 124€ so I think I'm gonna jump on it. Any other recommendations?
If you wait a month you can get a much improved C400.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Smo21 said:
Thank you sir. I'll check to see if everything(aside from the SSD) is available sometime next week and start buying stuff asap.
As a heads up it looks the like ASUS P67 boards are having some funky BIOS issues.
Might just get a UD4 or that MSI now. Decisions decisions.

JoeBoy101

Just to note for everyone, Newegg is doing a 72 hour sale I just got an e-mail for that covers this weekend. Items of note:

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz - $179.99 (Save $30) [Don't do it, but in case you didn't like SB]
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $244.99 (Save $35)
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W - $109.99 (Save $50 and has a $20 MIR on top)
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V - $129.99 (Save $60)

Just a head's up.

John_B

sh4mike said:
I bought a U2311H a few months back. I had never owned a Dell before, so I was surprised of how good the build quality was (sturdy, good ergonomic functions).

The IPS panel is definitly an improvement over most TN panels out there, but still not within range of graphic work. It does fair really well with games though, so it's a very nice compromise between response and picture quality. The screen is also calibrated decently out of the box, just turn the brightness down into the 35-45 range.

The only thing that sucks is the viewing angels (contrast weakens), but for $200 it's a steal.

Wallach

Well, she's officially moved into her new home:

j9dOP.jpg

And the temps seem pretty satisfactory (max temps are after a prime95 batch):

X6AvB.jpg

Very, very satisfied.

Forsete

Could anyone help me out with this problem? This is what happened when I tried to turn on my computer this morning. Endless loop of boot-up sounds, the PC refusing to go any further in the boot process. Also the only way to make it stop is to remove the power cord.

I recorded a video of it, view here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmNjYS5EIJ0

Just so you know its not a HP computer anymore, I only re-used the chassis. Specs available on request, but let me say the PSU is only about 6 months old. The rest of the PC is about 2 years old.

AkIRA_22

Wallach said:
Haha yeah, it's definitely like a toddler with a football helmet on. :lol

It's actually a 690 II Advanced though, I don't like the HAF aesthetic.

haha. just watched this review on the 690 II Advanced seems like a nice case, good layout and space, with loads of Fans. I agree on the HAF design, I can't stand the "military aesthetic" a lot of case designers are going for these days. I'm a minimalist fan, flat panels and brush aluminium, I have my PC in the living area and I don't want some thing out of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' in my lounge room.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Forsete said:
Could anyone help me out with this problem? This is what happened when I tried to turn on my computer this morning. Endless loop of boot-up sounds, the PC refusing to go any further in the boot process. Also the only way to make it stop is to remove the power cord.

I recorded a video of it, view here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmNjYS5EIJ0

Just so you know its not a HP computer anymore, I only re-used the chassis. Specs available on request, but let me say the PSU is only about 6 months old. The rest of the PC is about 2 years old.
What's making that noise? If it's the HDD then it's probably broken and you'll have to get a new one.

Forsete

Mr_Brit said:
What's making that noise? If it's the HDD then it's probably broken and you'll have to get a new one.

I disconnected the HDDs (power cable) to rule them out.
The sound could be coming from the DVD-drive (which is blinking) and all the fans coming on.

I'm starting to suspect the PSU (6 months old, replaced after the other one randomly died).. or something on the motherboard (ASUS P5 SE something). Ugh.
Since its only on for like ½-1 seconds before it reboots.

Edit: Yes, the sound came from the DVD-drive which I have now disconnected. Still stuck in that loop though. :D

Edit 2: I did the "paper-clip" test on the PSU (you short out a green and a black wire on the 24-pin connector) and the PSU started.. IMO, this is no guarantee that the PSU isn't failing under load. Perhaps I am leaning more towards it being a motherboard problem.

How does one start the PC without the button at the front? It should be just shorting two pins on the motherboard right?
E1QFO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom