• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

·feist· said:
Otherwise, go ahead and buy a replacement cooler as soon as you can.

hey man - so yeah, i threw around your option of working with this kit, but the experience so far has been poor and i wasnt certain the effort would be worth it, specifically since (as you mentioned prior) it bugs me to try to sort this while the AP 181 - again, the more reviews i read on it, the more i understand why it was specifically paired with this case - sits in my closet.

after reading as many reviews as i could find, i opted for a geminII s - testing on some sites showed it outperforming the scythe (not by a great deal, granted) and id found several forums where people confirmed it working well with said AP 181. i'll likely hold onto the liquid cooling kit if for nothing else than the possibility of having to send the system in during its warranty...i cant rule out the PSU as causing the shutdowns, but again, im really thinking this should get all of that well under control. ill post back later this week when it's here & installed, with temps on idle & under prime95, just wanted to say thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out with this, it's most appreciated.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
subversus said:
Thanks. I'll take F3, because it's 7200 rpm.
The F4 is actually 667GB platters so the 5400rpm barely hurts it vs the 500GB platter F3.

100% more space for 15% more cost is totally worth it imo. (Just flash the F4 to the newest firmware when you get it).

Also the OP IS UPDATED. Please let me know what you think of the $900/$1000 build. I tried to accommodate what I think most would look for in a $1050 computer, and provided the step down options for the budget / value minded.

I also wonder if I should change the case section to actually not stab at peoples eyes.

The Neeeeeeeews:
1/5/2011:
Top Sandy Bridge Reviews: [H]OCP, Anandtech, The Tech Report
Some good P67 board reviews: **TechReport four board round up, Asus P8P67 and P8P67 Pro (Legit Reviews), [H]OCP MSI P67A-GD65
New SSDs incoming: (Feb = Crucial C400), SF-2000 later, Intel G3 sooner?, SF-2000 OCZ Prelim Testing

If you want help with a build fill this out AND try making one of your own from the resources in the OP :)

Basic Desktop Questions
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, 3D work, general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Self Explanatory
Are reusing any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W)
When will you build?: When do you want your computer, do you need it in a week, can you wait a month or two?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe(This means yes)

15 minute video how-to: http://vimeo.com/5685229 / 40 minute how-to

Prospective laptop buyers please fill this out and ask their forum as well.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/wha...ould-i-buy-form-must-read-before-posting.html
GAF notebook / laptop thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386622

The General updated information Guide: http://tinyurl.com/FalconGuide – This is a general UPDATED guide and nothing is the end all perfect guide at any time. Lite Version

The Builds: $600, $1,000, $1,500!? – Remember a lot of parts are good and combos do pop up on newegg.com so take advantage of them.

The Damn Capable Build: $600 - AMD x4 640, 4GB DDR3, 500GB or 1TB HDD, GTX 460 768MB, $40-$60 case, Seasonic 520W, MSI 870-G45 motherboard, DVD Burner. < Click for wishlist
syHcJ.png

The Get a Lot More Build: $900/$1000 – Intel 2500K, 4GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, AMD 6950, $60-$80 case, Corsair 750W, ASUS P8P67 Pro motherboard, DVD Burner. < Click for wishlist
ELnVU.png

The Spend a Lot More Build: $1,500 – On hold for Sandy Bridge (Dual 570s + SSD? How high?!)

----------

Choosing a case: Picking a case reflects what you are looking for, and your personal tastes. Note that some cases might not be able to fit taller rifle coolers (Like the CM 212 Plus will not fit in a CM 330 or 360) or longer video cards (Like a GTX 295). Additionally some of the LED fans in cases can have off switches.
Thank your friendly neighborhood feist and TheExodu5.

$40-60
2zjjd5c.jpg
$40 - Cooler Master 310/33x/341
fc7j1l.jpg
$40 - NZXT Beta Evo
2gy20kj.jpg
$50 - Antec 300
dv51i.jpg
$60 - Cooler Master HAF 912​
[QUIET OPTION]
s6pzxy.jpg
$60 - Antec Sonata Proto​

$70-$100
2igjdkn.jpg
$80 - Cooler Master CM 690 II
2mw9miu.jpg
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922
rhr9r4.jpg
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K62
x3g952.jpg
$100 - Antec 902/900​
[QUIET OPTION]
29bhl3d.jpg
$100 - Fractal Design Define R3​

$120-$200
259lhlz.jpg
$160 - Corsair 600T
e00bdc.jpg
$160 - SilverStone RV02
sws574.jpg
$200 - Cooler Master HAF X
2hrmx3d.jpg
$ N/A - Various Lian Li
[QUIET OPTION]
nb3ww1.jpg
$160 - Antec P183​

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kalnos said:
Why a 5400 RPM HDD on the higher build out of curiosity? What advantages does that hold over the 1TB Samsung?
$10 more for doubled capacity. The denser platters help make up the speed difference.
Value wise I'd say get that, then grab a gen 3 SSD down the road. It's what I'm doing.

Dambrosi

Banned
My Current Specs: CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ (2.6gHz/core)/ RAM: 3gig DDR2/ Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-CM/ GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4650
Budget: £500 maximum (UK)
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), light 3D work (maybe), general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: I currently have a 4:3 CRT monitor capable of a maximum of 2048x1536, but I usually stick to 1600x1200, both for gaming and general use (I feel it's plenty)
SPECIFIC games that I MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2 and Mass Effect 3, if only because those two are games I WILL own before the year is out
Am I reusing any parts?: ASUS DRW-2014L1T Dual-layer DVD Burner, X-Power GTX Light 580W power supply (am prepared to buy a new one if necessary, but would rather not), 3x1gig DDR2 RAM (if possible), Maxtor 4R080L0 120gig IDE HDD, Buffalo 500gig External HDD, Generic PCi-Express USB Hub Card
When will I build?: I can wait a good while for this, since it'll take me ages to raise that kind of money anyway (about a year)
Will I be overclocking?: Maybe (This means maybe, I don't know yet)

As for my fantasy build? I'm looking at something like this:
ebuyercheckout.gif

What does GAF think? Like I said, it's not for a while yet, but this is the sort of rig I'm aiming for. Opinions?

Oh, by the way - I'm still rockin' the ol' XP SP3 atm, what's the cheapest option for upgrading to Win7?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Dambrosi said:
My Current Specs: CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ (2.6gHz/core)/ RAM: 3gig DDR2/ Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-CM/ GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4650
Budget: £500 maximum (UK)
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), light 3D work (maybe), general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: I currently have a 4:3 CRT monitor capable of a maximum of 2048x1536, but I usually stick to 1600x1200, both for gaming and general use (I feel it's plenty)
SPECIFIC games that I MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2 and Mass Effect 3, if only because those two are games I WILL own before the year is out
Am I reusing any parts?: ASUS DRW-2014L1T Dual-layer DVD Burner, X-Power GTX Light 580W power supply (am prepared to buy a new one if necessary, but would rather not), 3x1gig DDR2 RAM (if possible), Maxtor 4R080L0 120gig IDE HDD, Buffalo 500gig External HDD, Generic PCi-Express USB Hub Card
When will I build?: I can wait a good while for this, since it'll take me ages to raise that kind of money anyway (about a year)

ebuyercheckout.gif

What does GAF think? Like I said, it's not for a while yet, but this is the sort of rig I'm aiming for. Opinions?

Oh, by the way - I'm still rockin' the ol' XP SP3 atm, what's the cheapest option for upgrading to Win7?
Over all it's quite bad TBH.

Get an i5 2500k and P67 motherboard, it will be significantly faster than that Phenom II (at this moment in time it's impossible to recommend any other CPU/motherboard combo). Replace that GPU with a 1GB GTX 460, GTX 470 or HD 6870. The RAM looks fine, no point spending any more than that. You should get a new PSU as well as the one you're currently using doesn't look too great. Whatever you do though make sure it's a good brand PSU such as Corsair or Seasonic or even an OCZ PSU.

Dambrosi said:
When will I build?:I can wait a good while for this, since it'll take me ages to raise that kind of money anyway (about a year)

If it's going to take you a year to raise the money why are you bothering to price it up now?

MysticX

To anyone looking for a case, I can seriously recommend Fractal Design Define R3 since it´s very sleek and clean and very quiet. I don´t understand all the need for lights and all, that would just annoy me.

tweak_dk_fd_define_r3_30.JPG

tweak_dk_fd_define_r3_14.JPG

Besides, I am seriously considering buying the HD6950 2GB, and have two questions:

1: Which model should I take? Wasn´t someone with lifetime garranty? Otherwise, it´s between Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte, Club 3D, HIS or MSI, pricewise they are all very much alike, though sapphire, like the 5770 I have now is the cheapest one. I am also thinking about quiet, not too noisy.

2: Will all of those fit in my Fractal Design Define R3?

I'll have to upgrade to Windows 7 with my new rig. if I buy a 1 license pack, and I add a SSD to my rig, am I fucked and will need to buy a new license to reinstall it on the same computer? I don't get how microsoft works with these licenses.

thanks.

Milpool

The Bookerman said:
I'll have to upgrade to Windows 7 with my new rig. if I buy a 1 license pack, and I add a SSD to my rig, am I fucked and will need to buy a new license to reinstall it on the same computer? I don't get how microsoft works with these licenses.

thanks.

If the authentication fails after changing hardware you just have to ring some freephone number and go through an automated process to validate windows. I think I'm on the 3rd or 4th build with this Windows 7 license.

desu

MysticX said:
To anyone looking for a case, I can seriously recommend Fractal Design Define R3 since it´s very sleek and clean and very quiet. I don´t understand all the need for lights and all, that would just annoy me.

Besides, I am seriously considering buying the HD6950 2GB, and have two questions:

1: Which model should I take? Wasn´t someone with lifetime garranty? Otherwise, it´s between Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte, Club 3D, HIS or MSI, pricewise they are all very much alike, though sapphire, like the 5770 I have now is the cheapest one. I am also thinking about quiet, not too noisy.

2: Will all of those fit in my Fractal Design Define R3?

Welcome, this is also gonna be my next case I am going to get for my Sandy Bridge sytem. Don't get the whole cyber weird cases either, I really like the slick look of the R3.

As for the space thing, it should fit, 5850 for reference (no clue how long this one is but I assume around the same as the 6950).

2dsjl9g.jpg

AkIRA_22

Dambrosi said:

Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Box Processor 251596 98 due in 5 to 7 days £174.05 £174.05
Asrock P67 Pro3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard 252616 10 due in 2 to 4 days £86.84 £86.8

much much much more powerful than an AMD system and only a hair more expensive.

Quick question: Does anyone know if the Asus P8P67 motherboard support socket 775 cpu coolers? I'm guessing no, but I do know ASRock offer that compatibility on some of their boards.

coopolon

coopolon said:
So right now I'm rocking an e8400/4850 512 mb. I've decided to go ahead and a buy a new gpu now because I really want to be able to have two monitors on my desk and also be connected to my HDTV without having to swap the HDMI cables. The added performance will be welcome of course, and I also will appreciate the ability to bitstream the HD audio codecs.

I know my cpu could seriously use an upgrade, but really right now I'm upgrading more for convenience than need for added performance because for most games the e8400/4850 is fine. So my plan is to get a new gpu now that will hopefully last me at least two years, maybe closer to 3 at 1080p 30fps, and when the time is right build a whole new quad core rig to which I will migrate over my new gpu.

So currently I have
Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply
MSI P45 Platinum LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

I can't decide whether I should go 6850/460 1gb or 6870. I'm currently thinking 6870 though for $240.

Any advice? Anything I am overlooking that makes this plan silly?

Again, goals are 2xDVI and 1xHDMI port, bitstreaming HD audio codecs, and 2-3 year 1080p 30fps high (probably not maxed) settings.

Edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150507&cm_re=6870-_-14-150-507-_-Product

So that is what I'm looking at right now, $230 after rebate.

Okay, so I went ahead and bought the 6870 linked in my original post, but I'm starting to have buyer's remorse. How much of a bottleneck am I going to experience with a e8400 paired with a 6870? I'm thinking it might be a better price/performance ratio to drop down to a 6850 and OC it.

But then my concern is that going from a 4850 to a 6850 I won't really see that much of a performance increase, and while like I said above I am buying a card now because I need more connections, I'd also like to see some performance improvements!

Any advice guys?

2San

mobo = ASUS P8P67 (143 euro)
CPU = Intel i5 2500K (209 euro)
Cooler = Cooler Master Processor Koeler Hyper 212 Plus (25 euro)
GPU = Colorful iGame460 GTX (209 euro)
RAM = Corsair 2x4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, XMS3 (100 euro)
PSU= Coolmaster silentpro M700 - 700 watt (107 euro)
DVD drive =Samsung SH-S223C (17 euro)
HDD = Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ (52 euro)
case = Xigmatek Asgard - Midtowermodel (37 euro)
OS = Windows 7 Home 64bit (85 euro)

total = 984

This is what it was. So I got this PM:
Ryoma-Echizen said:
Why a so expensive 460?. It performs less than a 6850, and a current 6870(10-15% faster then 6850) roughly costs 210-220euros.

Current bang for buck is the Sapphire HD6850 Toxic (180euro~).

A even better gaming rig:
X6 1075T (180euro) + Gigabyte 890GPA UD3H (120euros) + HD6950 (270euros) = more fps

And with unlock thing you can even get a 6970. That's what I call a decent machine, not a so-so 460 in a near 1000euros(doesn't make justice to the total price).
Which makes perfect sense to me. I can afford the HD6950 without sacrficing the Sandy Bridge goodness though. :eek: Or would another 3D card(in the 270 price range) do the trick better?

This thread rules. I don't know jack shit about PCs but you guys are helping a lot cause I'm trying to get into this. Keep up the great work!

I do have one question though: How do you guys go about packing a PC and mailing it? Is it safe? I'm anticipating moving away in a few months, and I was a bit concerned as to how you guys ship these things out. I wouldn't want my lovelies to break :(

matmanx1

Got up at 5:30am to make my SB order this morning. Amazon.com was already out of stock (wtf!) but Newegg still had them so I went with them this time. My parts ordering is complete (finally!) so now I just need everything to arrive so i can start assembling.

Well I'll be ordering my stuff around the 3rd of Febuary. Apparently Newegg.CA has to ship stuff from the us to canada in my order... Will I have to pay an import tax for those parts?

Here is my intended setup.
ASUS CD/DVD Burner Black
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
i5 2500k
ASUS P8P67 PRO
Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance ATX Mid-Tower Case

Total - $1040
Any suggestions?
Do I need thermal paste? Thanks.

ph33nix said:
This thread rules. I don't know jack shit about PCs but you guys are helping a lot cause I'm trying to get into this. Keep up the great work!

I do have one question though: How do you guys go about packing a PC and mailing it? Is it safe? I'm anticipating moving away in a few months, and I was a bit concerned as to how you guys ship these things out. I wouldn't want my lovelies to break :(

Honestly, if you can, take the computer (Case) with you. If you can't, get ready for some fun. If you don't want to risk anything coming apart / shifting, you'll want to take out anything that could dislodged while in transit... GPU, Memory, sound card, wireless nic, etc.

Wrap the case in as much bubble wrap as you can, remember some cases are pretty heavy and have sharp edges. Treat your PC as if it was a baby (Thats what I do).

If you have a CRT monitor, that's a pita. Best you can do is wrap it and find a box that will handle it. LCD's are a bit easier. I take 2 pillows, wrap it in bubble wrap and then a pillow on each site of the monitor and then wrap the two pillows together.

coopolon said:
Okay, so I went ahead and bought the 6870 linked in my original post, but I'm starting to have buyer's remorse. How much of a bottleneck am I going to experience with a e8400 paired with a 6870? I'm thinking it might be a better price/performance ratio to drop down to a 6850 and OC it.

But then my concern is that going from a 4850 to a 6850 I won't really see that much of a performance increase, and while like I said above I am buying a card now because I need more connections, I'd also like to see some performance improvements!

Any advice guys?

No, I don't see why the e8400 would be a bottleneck. I've done some testing on my end as my second gaming PC (Hand me down PC) is running an e8400 OC'd to 3.5 and a HD5770 and it handles anything thrown at it. I'd say the GPU is the bottleneck on my end. Until you start running something that is CPU dependent rather than GPU dependent, Crysis isn't even that CPU limited rather than GPU.

As for the jump from an 4850 to 6870, you're in for a treat. Depending on the resolution, AA enabled and game, you're looking at a 35-40% increase.

To everyone else jumping on the SB wagon.. I hate you ;)

I can't justify it yet. My i5-750 is running 3.7 with 6GB and it rocks.... I'm not terribly impressed with the SB results to move just yet, but if I was running a lower processor, i could see it. How many here are moving from an i5/i7 to SB anyway?

Wallach

I had to disconnect the fan I placed in the bottom of my 690 II Adv., it was louder than the rest of my case combined; it's near silent without it powered right now. I guess it simply does not care for being mounted flat like that. On the other hand my temps don't seem to have noticed so I think I'm just going to pull it out.

Have any websites done a comparison of the lower-end Sandy Bridge i5 cpus to some of last year's models? Do they significantly outperform the current Core i7 processors? Being pretty budget-conscious, I'm wondering if I might still get a pretty good bang for the buck with one of those, or the Athlon II x4 as recommended in the $600 build. OTOH, if even the low-end SBs are that much more awesome, I may go that way.

Shadowhaxor said:
Honestly, if you can, take the computer (Case) with you. If you can't, get ready for some fun. If you don't want to risk anything coming apart / shifting, you'll want to take out anything that could dislodged while in transit... GPU, Memory, sound card, wireless nic, etc.

Wrap the case in as much bubble wrap as you can, remember some cases are pretty heavy and have sharp edges. Treat your PC as if it was a baby (Thats what I do).

If you have a CRT monitor, that's a pita. Best you can do is wrap it and find a box that will handle it. LCD's are a bit easier. I take 2 pillows, wrap it in bubble wrap and then a pillow on each site of the monitor and then wrap the two pillows together.

Thanks for the advice, I guess wrapping the shit out of it is the only way to go for me. I don't think I would be able to fit it in a suitcase with me on a flight (plus, it'd be overweight like crazy) And I plan on getting one of those Ultra-Thin monitors anyhow.

grkazan12

Alright GAF I'm pretty much ready to pull the the trigger on building a new comp (finally have the money that I need), just need some recommendations I guess.

Budget:1,000+
Main Use:Gaming,Dolphin Emulation,General Use
Monitor Resolution:1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games:Battlefield 3,Valve Games,Portal 2,Bad Company 2,Crysis+Expansions,Crysis 2,Starcraft 2,Metro 2033. (With the exception of Crysis[High close to max] and Metro 2033[at least DX11 at Hight settings] I want to run these games at pretty much Hight to Max Settings,@ the resolution above, and with most of all the bells and whistles.
Are reusing any parts?:No
When will you build?:Soon probably a couple of days to a week or two weeks from now
Will you be overclocking?:Maybe (Yes)

grkazan12 said:
Alright GAF I'm pretty much ready to pull the the trigger on building a new comp (finally have the money that I need), just need some recommendations I guess.

List SPECIFIC games:Battlefield 3,Valve Games,Portal 2,Bad Company 2,Crysis+Expansions,Crysis 2,Starcraft 2,Metro 2033. (I want to run these games at pretty much Max Settings,@ the resolution above, and with most of all the bells and whistles.
When will you build?:Soon probably a couple of days to a week or two weeks from now

Ok... see, you said Crysis 2 at max settings for 1000.00... that could be a problem ;)

Do you have any existing parts to get your budget lowered? Looking at the video card, you'll looking at 200-300.00 and the CPU, if you got the SB bug, another 400-500.00. And then at least 200 for memory, but you still need the harddrive/cd-dvd and monitor.

Shadowhaxor said:
Ok... see, you said Crysis 2 at max settings for 1000.00... that could be a problem ;)
It is not like it looks that amazing compared to his predecessor. Also he says 1000+. Well ok, maybe not on max settings, but he should be not far off.

grkazan12

My bad guys I meant to say Crysis at at least high settings at my resolution. Doesn't have to be max settings on Crysis, I wanna play at a setting that still looks good.

iNvid02

grkazan12 said:

List SPECIFIC games:Battlefield 3,Valve Games,Portal 2,Bad Company 2,Crysis+Expansions,Crysis 2,Starcraft 2,Metro 2033. (I want to run these games at pretty much Max Settings,@ the resolution above, and with most of all the bells and whistles.

same situation as you, im at 2560x1600 but 1920x1080 is good enough for me if most games can be maxed out. this is what i am going for (changed it so many times). new G3 SSDs are here february so im waiting for them. also gonna add another gtx 570 in february.

coolermaster haf-x
i7 2600k
corsair hx1000 psu
asus p8p67 pro mobo
g.skill ripjaws 8gb (4x2)
evga geforce tx 570
noctua NH-D14

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i want to kiss the people behind newegg on the mouth.

ordered my 2500k setup at 2AM and got a shipped email + tracking number when i woke up. i can't wait to set this up Monday night, though i'll pour one out for my sturdy, tried and true EP45-UD3P and Q6600 in the process.

edit: by the way, what is the best way to transition a somewhat recent Win7 install to the new motherboard and PC? i know i'll have to reactivate, but should i uninstall the motherboard drivers beforehand, or is the system smart enough to reconfigure it on the next boot?

i'm a bit spoiled by how well OSX and, oddly enough, ubuntu handles these types of changes.

Seeing all these people upgrading their rigs got me thinking, where do all these old components go? Is ebay good for used parts, or is there another good place for stuff like that?

Pctx

Banned
Any word on when the mobile proc's are going to be coming out? I know ASUS and Acer had demoed some laptops at CES, but haven't seen anything yet.

Any word?

InertiaXr

Gaf, I have a question regarding newegg and returns/etc.

I ordered everything but case (amazon) and processor (microcenter) last night on newegg, including my mobo, but now microcenter in store has a bundle with 2500k and P8P67 for $300 flat. This is much better than the 160 I paid last night on newegg for my mobo then the 195 after tax 2500k will be in store. So my question is, can I send the mobo from newegg back as soon as I get it or will I have to pay some kind of fee for that? I should note my order from newegg is still only 'charged' not shipped or anything yet so I could always cancel and re-order right?

scorcho said:
i want to kiss the people behind newegg on the mouth.

ordered my 2500k setup at 2AM and got a shipped email + tracking number when i woke up. i can't wait to set this up Monday night, though i'll pour one out for my sturdy, tried and true EP45-UD3P and Q6600 in the process.

edit: by the way, what is the best way to transition a somewhat recent Win7 install to the new motherboard and PC? i know i'll have to reactivate, but should i uninstall the motherboard drivers beforehand, or is the system smart enough to reconfigure it on the next boot?

i'm a bit spoiled by how well OSX and, oddly enough, ubuntu handles these types of changes.

Couple of ways. You can use the built in system backup function, after you remove all your drivers and move it to a new drive, make a backup disc and go that route... its rather messy.
I usually do a sysprep, so much faster.

InertiaXr said:

I ordered everything but case (amazon) and processor (microcenter) last night on newegg, including my mobo, but now microcenter in store has a bundle with 2500k and P8P67 for $300 flat. This is much better than the 160 I paid last night on newegg for my mobo then the 195 after tax 2500k will be in store. So my question is, can I send the mobo from newegg back as soon as I get it or will I have to pay some kind of fee for that? I should note my order from newegg is still only 'charged' not shipped or anything yet so I could always cancel and re-order right?

If you are returning it to Newegg and it's not defective, you'll going to have to pay a 15% restocking fee... ouch. If it was only charged and not shipped, you can call then to cancel.. GO GO!

InertiaXr

Shadowhaxor said:
If you are returning it to Newegg and it's not defective, you'll going to have to pay a 15% restocking fee... ouch.

Yeah I thought there would be something like that...but my order hasn't shipped yet so I could cancel and re-order everything sans mobo and get that and processor at microcenter right? In any event $300 for 2500k and P8P67 seems like a pretty sick value to me.

InertiaXr said:

Sorry I'm not answering your question but do you have a link for this deal (even though it's in-store)?

knitoe

InertiaXr said:
Yeah I thought there would be something like that...but my order hasn't shipped yet so I could cancel and re-order everything sans mobo and get that and processor at microcenter right? In any event $300 for 2500k and P8P67 seems like a pretty sick value to me.
Go into the order under "My account.". If you still see the "cancel" button, you can cancel the order and get a full refund. If you don't see that option, you will be charged 15% restocking fee on returns. Returns sux compare to Amazon with full refund 30 day returns even on opened items

grkazan12

grkazan12 said:

List SPECIFIC games:Battlefield 3,Valve Games,Portal 2,Bad Company 2,Crysis+Expansions,Crysis 2,Starcraft 2,Metro 2033. (With the exception of Crysis[High close to max] and Metro 2033[at least DX11 at Hight settings] I want to run these games at pretty much Hight to Max Settings,@ the resolution above, and with most of all the bells and whistles.

Should I wait and see what the Spend a little more build is going to be and I want to say that I want to go with a single GPU. Looking to maybe order parts today.Sorry but so hyped to build all of the sudden.

coopolon

Shadowhaxor said:
Couple of ways. You can use the built in system backup function, after you remove all your drivers and move it to a new drive, make a backup disc and go that route... its rather messy.
I usually do a sysprep, so much faster.

If you are returning it to Newegg and it's not defective, you'll going to have to pay a 15% restocking fee... ouch. If it was only charged and not shipped, you can call then to cancel.. GO GO!

I think that if you refuse delivery, it'll get shipped back to Newegg and you'll get a full refund. I can't guarantee this as I've never done it, but I know people who have. It's also on their website as what they tell you to do if you accidentally placed an order twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom