• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder of why Mark Cerny believes a Pro is needed and why comparing to PC builds is disingenuous

ebWHrtt.png
Waynes World 90S GIF

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I like how everybody is "he is working for Sony, of course he's saying that, huh, obviously", but when it's Phil Spencer "what a retard" with 281 pages of Spencer memes laughing at him.

PS: I shit in Spencer but the difference of treatment is laughable.
So you are comparing Mark Cerny to Phil Spencer.
You should educate yourself: Mark Cerny Wikipedia
Animated GIF

Last edited:

XXL

I think a ton of this is a complete overreaction.

The Digital PS5 is $449US, it has 1TB of storage.

The Digital PS5 Pro is $699US, it has a better GPU and 2TB of storage, along with other smaller upgrades.

I'm really struggling to see why this is soooooo outrageous.

I think the lack of a stand is bullshit though and they really should include that in the box.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Funny is that all these people online screaming "NOW IM GOING TO BUILD A PC", don't even know how a CPU looks like in real life. Majority is just screaming, but in the end they just buy a console for convience.
lol I'm saying

Wait till they see the price of 1 GPU...

Dorfdad

Gold Member
while mark is a smart guy clearly, the fact that he says he's a "massive gamer" I find disingenuous simple from this quote alone.

"The other thing that has been surprising is the push to 60 frames per second. Based on previous console lifecycles, I would have expected there to be a lot more games that are 30 frames per second only, just because the artwork can be so much more detailed if you have longer time to render it.

How the hell are you surprised as a massive gamer that 30FPS shooters and games outside adventure feel so sluggish and choppy for 90% of us with eyes.
I really believe the PS5 should have been designed as 1440p/60 upscaled to 4K and Pro should be 4k/120 standard.

while mark is a smart guy clearly, the fact that he says he's a "massive gamer" I find disingenuous simple from this quote alone.

How the hell are you surprised as a massive gamer that 30FPS shooters and games outside adventure feel so sluggish and choppy for 90% of us with eyes.
I really believe the PS5 should have been designed as 1440p/60 upscaled to 4K and Pro should be 4k/120 standard.

Because for most of gaming history it was a luxury to even have locked 30fps

Fidelity was *always* the higher priority until this gen

Shows he actually is a gamer. I think devs are just too lazy to push boundaries these days, sadly

Old engines just cranked up

Last edited:

sudolicious

Neo Member

You misinterpreted his statement. He hasn't said that he prefers 30fps. He said that's what history has shown devs would go for. Big difference.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
With all due respect I hate this guy. He is really not my type, and he gives me Cammie Dunaway vibes. Which is quite atrocious if you know what I'm talking about.

LRKD

He points to an amusing video by Linus Tech Tips, which attempted to 'kill' the PlayStation 5 by building a $500 gaming PC that outperformed the console.

"They had to get a used motherboard," he says. "That was the only way that they could build a PlayStation 5 equivalent for a PlayStation 5 price. And if you're using used parts… well you can get a used PlayStation 5 for eBay for $300-something.

This whole interview is some mad cope, but this for sure takes the cake :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Forget Linus Tech Tips's old ass video, how is that relevant in 2024.

Now, with PS5 pro prices + drive, you get close to price of a pretty damn good PC without chasing any particular deals, prices right now, not deep discounts like we often see. Its gonna get even better in a couple of months when Blackwell and RDNA 4 are announced.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony showed up I think the ps5 pro will be a very big Christmas gift or whatever you want to call it. Pc gamers are responsible for them making pro versions.

Cyberpunkd

People highly underestimate how annyoying owning a PC could be, when everything work fine it is perfect, but if one things go wrong; it is really hard for average consumer to figure out what went wrong. I had random crashing and pc wouldn't wake from sleep mode, it could be caused by new software, corrupted window install, virus, faulty ram, overheat, motherboard issue, power supplies issue, bios, etc. etc. etc. I been built all my gaming PC, but this made me want to paid a premium for pre-made in the future. Having a nearly $3k system break on you is soulcrashing.
But then there is always an easy fix, most of the time first hit on Google will tell you what to do. I have been gaming for 30 years, I had my fair share of PC problems; but the solution was never far away. I don't remember a single case where I couldn't fix what was broken. On a console you WON'T be able to do it no matter what.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Because he probably games on PC.

"They had to get a used motherboard," he says. "That was the only way that they could build a PlayStation 5 equivalent for a PlayStation 5 price. And if you're using used parts… well you can get a used PlayStation 5 for eBay for $300-something.

anime-glasses.gif

Because until the existence of performance mode, everyone had given up and accepted it for every game that wasn't CoD. Other than pro consoles, I think the Dreamcast was the last time people ooh'd and ahh'd at a console outperforming it's peers in framerate by a large margin. Even on that console 60fps wasn't a guarantee.

sendit

lol what? You can’t design a console to hit a specific resolution/performance. Hell, even a 4090 is incapable of hitting 4K/120 in modern games. This more or less has to be a design decision from a software development perspective.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Fanboys trying so hard to convince themselves it's actually a really worthwhile investment and not an extremely overpriced pos by a company clearly taking advantage of their goodwill.

"Cerny said you need it"

"I'm not poor like the rest"

"inflation"

"Trading in your current PS5 makes the PRO a steal"

"30 fps and sub 4k murders your eyeballs"

"digital is the future anyway,you don't need a disc drive"

"You don't need a stand,you can be the stand"

fWPVUXq.png

Flashbacks of the Xbox fanboys defending the Xbox One.

No such thing as 4K/120 standard. Games increase in complexity and hardware ages over time, so at some point the graphics and game complexity need to be scaled down in order to run the software.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Cerny seemed sad and his eyes didn't have the same spark as it did before. He barely smiled. I think the suits forced him to do this."Increase the GPU power by a little and say some BS about PSSR. We gon be printing money."

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
With all due respect I hate this guy. He is really not my type, and he gives me Cammie Dunaway vibes. Which is quite atrocious if you know what I'm talking about.
This guy has been in the videogame industry for forty years and I really can't think of anything he has done that is objectionable. He worked on games and hardware that everyone here loves.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fanboys trying so hard to convince themselves it's actually a really worthwhile investment and not an extremely overpriced pos by a company clearly taking advantage of their goodwill.

"Cerny said you need it"

"inflation"

fWPVUXq.png

don't be mad just because you can't afford to hire people from the Home Depot parking lot to hold up your PS5 Pro like I can.

I think a ton of this is a complete overreaction.

The Digital PS5 is $449US, it has 1TB of storage.

The Digital PS5 Pro is $699US, it has a better GPU and 2TB of storage, along with other smaller upgrades.

I'm really struggling to see why this is soooooo outrageous.

I think the lack of a stand is bullshit though and they really should include that in the box.
The amount of influencers that I know for a fact that $3,000+ gaming PCs clutching their pearls over a $700 console..

You want 4K with 60+fps and raytracing? that costs more than $700 to achieve in the PC space. It's a good deal for the performance, and gives the convivence of playing from the couch. If you're looking for the lowest cost entry point into gaming, then you're not someone who's looking to buy a PS5 Pro.

If you want a no compromise gaming experience? we finally have a console that is going for that. This is good. It'll sell. The discourse on this is stupid.

"Cerny said you need it"

"inflation"

fWPVUXq.png

Some of them even paraphrase Don Matrick in this very thread:

"If you can't afford a Pro there is a product for you, the base PS5".

The amount of influencers that I know for a fact that $3,000+ gaming PCs clutching their pearls over a $700 console..

You want 4K with 60+fps and raytracing? that costs more than $700 to achieve in the PC space. It's a good deal for the performance, and gives the convivence of playing from the couch. If you're looking for the lowest cost entry point into gaming, then you're not someone who's looking to buy a PS5 Pro.

If you want a no compromise gaming experience? we finally have a console that is going for that. This is good. It'll sell. The discourse on this is stupid.

It is 2024, I play my PC games on my couch. I turn on my PC, it loads, I open Steam Big Picture Mode, select my game, and viola. This whole "convenience" argument against PC gaming is outdated.

Some of them even paraphrase Don Matrick in this very thread:

"If you can't afford a Pro there is a product for you, the base PS5".
The difference is that the Xbox One is meant to replace Xbox 360, but PS5Pro is NOT meant to replace PS5. That is the entire point.

It was stupid when Don needed everyone to buy the new console, but Mark does NOT need you to buy a Pro. Because buying a Pro does not magically mean you pay more for PS5 games at all and thus it makes no difference to Sony which PS5 you actually USE.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

I think he's just referring to the developers actually giving 60fps options, rather than just settling for 30fps because it makes their games look better.

The difference is that the Xbox One is meant to replace Xbox 360, but PS5Pro is NOT meant to replace PS5. That is the entire point.

It was stupid when Don needed everyone to buy the new console, but Mark does NOT need you to buy a Pro. Because buying a Pro does not magically mean you pay more for PS5 games at all and thus it makes no difference to Sony which PS5 you actually USE.

Yeah for sure, there is always something different when Sony does it.

XXL

It is 2024, I play my PC games on my couch. I turn on my PC, it loads, I open Steam Big Picture Mode, select my game, and viola. This whole "convenience" argument against PC gaming is outdated.
PCs are great and have many upsides.....but they aren't as convenient as consoles.

When problems happen on PC they are a fucking nightmare.

I've spent hours the last few days dealing with issues with Steam VR and PSVR 2.

In contrast, the PSVR 2 on PS5 literally took a few mins and I never had any issues ever.

PC are great in alot of ways, but they can be a pain in ass when things go wrong....and they will.

SenkiDala

That's funny, because you wanted to say "voilà" which means "there it is" in French, but you said "viola", which means "raped" in French.

How much is Sony paying you?
Oh, My God.

You are serious. You really think you are right and that Don and Mark are saying the same things. I thought you are just trolling?

EDIT:
I am going to explain it to you like your are 5.

Don was trying to sell a console that is replacing an older machine, Don is suppose to make as many people switch as possible to grow the platform size.

Mark is trying to sell an optional upgrade for the current console. He doesn't need people to upgrade because they don't get more money out of Pro gamers than they do PS5 regular gamers, and the upgrade doesn't grow the platform, but there is a little money they can make from a one time sale per customer if they wanted to pay it. Mark also don't see the point of making the Pro cheaper because that premium price is the only reason the Pro is worth selling to begin with.

Get it?

Last edited:
Oh, My God.

You are serious. You really think you are right and that Don and Mark are saying the same things. I thought you are just trolling?

EDIT:
I am going to explain it to you like your are 5.

Don was trying to sell a console that is replacing an older machine, Don is suppose to make as many people switch as possible to grow the platform size.

Mark is trying to sell an optional upgrade for the current console. He doesn't need people to upgrade because they don't get more money out of Pro gamers than they do PS5 regular gamers, and the upgrade doesn't grow the platform, but there is a little money they can make from a one time sell per customer if they wanted to pay it. Mark also don't see the point of making the Pro cheaper because that premium price is the only reason the Pro is worth selling to begin with.

Get it?

Yes, I get the difference in circumstances, I was merely highlighting the irony of the message. Get it?

PCs are great and have many upsides.....but they aren't as convenient as consoles.

When problems happen on PC they are a fucking nightmare.

I've spent hours the last few days dealing with issues with Steam VR and PSVR 2.

In contrast, the PSVR 2 on PS5 literally took a few mins and I never had any issues ever.

PC are great in alot of ways, but they can be a pain in ass when things go wrong....and they will.

I get it, but your point is a little weak considering the PSVR 2 is designed for the PS5. PC connectivity with the PCVR2 is a relatively new feature, so yes there will be some compatibility issues. Furthermore, VR is niche. I have never had a problem traditionally gaming on my PC as it has become so streamlined.

Edit: Not true, one time I couldn't get the textures to load in Quake 4 on my Legion Go. I figured it out after 5 minutes as the solution was posted on Steam.

Last edited:
Yes, I get the difference in circumstances, I was merely highlighting the irony of the message. Get it?
There is no irony, the message is the same in both cases; "if you don't want this, keep using that."

The outcome for Don is he doomed his console. The outcome for Mark is that only those who wants it would buy the PS5Pro and Mark is perfectly fine with it.

There is no irony, the message is the same in both cases; "if you don't want this, keep using that."

The outcome for Don is he doomed his console. The outcome for Mark is that only those who wants it would buy the PS5Pro and Mark is perfectly fine with it.

What about if not enough people "want it" and Sony doesn't get a return on their investment? Would Mark be happy with that?

yurinka

Cerny is not a PR/Marketing guy. what Sony needs is to show NEW/IPs AAA Games.
He's the lead architect of their consoles and was announcing a console he designed. He wasn't the host of a State of Play/Showcase to show games.

They have enough AAA games and new IPs. For 2024 Sony has these AAA game releases for console:
  1. TLOU2 Remastered
  2. Helldivers 2
  3. Stellar Blade
  4. MLB
  5. Rise of the Ronin
  6. Concord
  7. Astro Bot
  8. Until Dawn Remake
  9. Lego Horizon Adventures
  10. Convallaria
  11. Lost Soul Aside
  • Destiny 2 The Final Shape (a big expansion, not really a game but almost)
They are:
  • 45.45% new IPs
  • 36.36% new sequels or spinoffs
  • 18.18% remaster/remakes

Top Bottom