• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokieks

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Any issues with that Gigabyte? Seems cheap :)

It's a pretty basic Z68 board, with Realtek Ethernet instead of Intel, no SLI/CF support, no FireWire/eSATA, only HDMI (other Z68 boards can have up to 3 outputs giving you multi-monitor support), and probably not as good OCing potential as higher-end boards. If you're just looking for the basic features and don't expect to be doing really high overclocking, it should be fine.

JVIDICAN

I missed the $29.99 8GB ripjaw x RAM again. >:/

With the newegg/google thing I now have an extra $20 spend if I need to.
What kind of graphics card would be better than a Radeon HD 6870 1GB, while still staying under $200? Or would the difference not even be worth it?

wowzors

Trying to decide to get a SSD, need help right now. If I do buy one and install windows on it, is there anyway to have all my games still point to my old HDD and just have the windows OS on the SSD, without doing fresh installs of every game I own? Im worried ill either clone the OS onto the SSD and none of my games will work or ill install a fresh OS on the SSD and nothing from my HDD will work.

Soi-Fong

It can with modifications in the front. Otherwise, you want the Arc. Can fit push/pull on the top in that one.

Ah I see. Thank your for the quick input. Buying now!

I just wanted to get some people's input here on this build.

CASE: Fractal Design Arc Midi
Processor: i7 2600k 3.4 ghz
Heatsink: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
VIDEOCARD: DIAMOND A5970PE52G Radeon HD 5970 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready (Got it on sale at Newegg for 299.99)
SSD: Intel 320 Series 160 GB (will stick with this for now)
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Disc Reader not sure yet.

The SSD + Processor BTW got it for 375 together.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to decide to get a SSD, need help right now. If I do buy one and install windows on it, is there anyway to have all my games still point to my old HDD and just have the windows OS on the SSD, without doing fresh installs of every game I own? Im worried ill either clone the OS onto the SSD and none of my games will work or ill install a fresh OS on the SSD and nothing from my HDD will work.

For Steam games you can use Steamtool to use NTFS junctions and move games between HDDs (or you can do that manually, but that makes it easier). And for non-steam games you can just install them in a different location.

Only things I have on my SSD are Windows, programs I use a lot or that run at startup, and programs that start or work notably faster off the SSD. No games right now, not sure which ones actually benefit from it. Most don't as far as I know.

Edit: Oh, you want to use existing installations. You might be able to do some registry edits and do that, not sure. Steam games will transfer but you'll need to verify the cache integrity or "resume download" for them to activate on the new PC without redownloading them. Just need to put your old steamapps directory in the new Steam install. Or maybe install Steam in the same location.

Still patiently waiting on Z77...

Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 Roadmap & Intel Z77, Z75, H77, Q77, Q75, and B75 Chipsets
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30166723&postcount=9330

Not sure if this was posted yet but,

Intel Ivy Bridge Lineup
https://img.skitch.com/20111128-jx1dhiq8hmup1yphy5w47nxmi4.jpg

Still seems to be on track for April release.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-intel-cpu-processor-specs,14083.html
Not sure why Tom's, and most sites reporting on this aren't crediting the source of the leak, from a few days ago. Or, if they do credit, some have attributed it to MyDrivers, which is a shady, content stealing site.

http://www.corescn.com/thread-1905-1-1.html

uW5hd.jpg

PzmTW.jpg

Corescn's leak somewhat matches up to the Ivy Bridge CPU lineup that was posted earlier:

http://cpu.zol.com.cn/261/2610852.html

KEgG3.png
w7McD.png

For good measure:

Intel 2012 Desktop Platform - Maho Bay, 7 Series Chipsets, & Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge Compatibility on Cougar Point/Panther Point

*click for 1,429px × 1,071px

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So like, the more ram you have the more HD space is used or something?

I added another 8GB today and I noticed my HD space went from like 21GB to 8GB. o_0

I didn't install anything or do anything out of the norm since the last time I turned off my PC to installing more ram. I really don't understand what's going on.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So like, the more ram you have the more HD space is used or something?

I added another 8GB today and I noticed my HD space went from like 21GB to 8GB. o_0

I didn't install anything or do anything out of the norm since the last time I turned off my PC to installing more ram. I really don't understand what's going on.

Might have automatically increased the size of your page file, I think it usually tries to mirror the amount of RAM you have. That wouldn't account for the difference though, but I'm not sure why else it would do that.

wowzors

For Steam games you can use Steamtool to use NTFS junctions and move games between HDDs (or you can do that manually, but that makes it easier). And for non-steam games you can just install them in a different location.

Only things I have on my SSD are Windows, programs I use a lot or that run at startup, and programs that start or work notably faster off the SSD. No games right now, not sure which ones actually benefit from it. Most don't as far as I know.

Edit: Oh, you want to use existing installations. You might be able to do some registry edits and do that, not sure. Steam games will transfer but you'll need to verify the cache integrity or "resume download" for them to activate on the new PC without redownloading them. Just need to put your old steamapps directory in the new Steam install. Or maybe install Steam in the same location.

So basically, the best way to go about this is format my HDD, install my new SSD, put Windows 7 on that, and reinstall any games that I use alot to the SSD and any games I barely play onto the HDD?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So basically, the best way to go about this is format my HDD, install my new SSD, put Windows 7 on that, and reinstall any games that I use alot to the SSD and any games I barely play onto the HDD?

If the HDD is big enough I wouldn't format it.

I just have another folder for programs installed on my current Windows installation and everything else from my old installation is still there, it's nice having that "backup" of all the old stuff. I've ended up pulling several things from it.

Soi-Fong

Ah I see. Thank your for the quick input. Buying now!

I just wanted to get some people's input here on this build.

CASE: Fractal Design Arc Midi
Processor: i7 2600k 3.4 ghz
Heatsink: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
VIDEOCARD: DIAMOND A5970PE52G Radeon HD 5970 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready (Got it on sale at Newegg for 299.99)
SSD: Intel 320 Series 160 GB (will stick with this for now)
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Disc Reader not sure yet.

The SSD + Processor BTW got it for 375 together.

Just reposting this.

mkenyon

Banned
Just reposting this.
Only thing you need to be aware of, that 5970 is essentially having crossfire 5870s. There are lots of games out there where there are no Crossfire profiles that will be kind of wonky. In addition, you're going to have to stay on top of driver and beta driver/hotfix releases to make sure everything is working fine and dandy. If you stick to AAA games, you'll most likely have crossfire profiles released within a week or so. If you play lots of smaller titles, you might be SOL.

If you are aware of all this, and know what you're getting into, by all means. It's an insanely good card for the price.

Also what disc reader do you folks recommend?
You mean a CD/DVD optical drive? There are some specific models in the OP. These days, there's very little difference between the reputable brands. $18-25 Samsung, Lite On, Sony, Plextor, LG, etc.

I would have so jumped on this if it could have fitted my videocard and be able to take the H100.
Do you actually need an H100? A single rad Antec 920, or Corsair H80 would be more flexible. Alternatively, the top air coolers cost less, and will match, or beat the top AIOs at considerably lower noise levels. It'd be different if you had already picked up the H100 on sale for $70-80.

Fractal Design Define R3 (or Define R2) can fit an ATI Radeon 5970
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5yG-_AS6To

khkCT.png

mkenyon

Banned
Are the HDD racks in the R3 not removable/modular? Been about a year since I did a build in one, and just can't remember. That feature seems like it needs to be on a checkbox for $80+ cases.

scogoth

·feist·;33027760 said:
Still patiently waiting on Z77...

blah blah blah

Me too, I want Z77 board with thunderbolt. Apples current implementation is buggy at best and once it hits the PC world we'll sees lot more devices. And while I'm dreaming 600 series GPUs? kthxbai

scogoth

has anyone tried the 30 day trial for shoprunner? Would I be able to cancel right after completing the order? :p

Shoprunner is a TOTAL scam--read the fine print carefully. Your "FREE" trial membership is not free if you don't cancel before the end of the 30-day period. If you use the service even ONCE during their so-called "FREE" trial period, and cancel ONE DAY after the 30 day trial period, they will charge you the full $79. No pro-rating, no partial refund, nothing. I canceled ONE DAY after the 30 days and they gave NO sort of consideration for having used the service ONCE. I paid $79 to ship ONE item from Toys r Us! So if you sign up just to get free shipping during their BOGUS free trial, make sure to CANCEL RIGHT AWAY!!!

I assume if you cancel right away you would be fine, but I wouldn't trust them.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/580489-anyone-tried-shoprunner-yet.html

Smidget

It's a pretty basic Z68 board, with Realtek Ethernet instead of Intel, no SLI/CF support, no FireWire/eSATA, only HDMI (other Z68 boards can have up to 3 outputs giving you multi-monitor support), and probably not as good OCing potential as higher-end boards. If you're just looking for the basic features and don't expect to be doing really high overclocking, it should be fine.

Thanks for the information. Don't plan on going SLI or multi monitor (just got my 32" LCD in today, it's beautiful and ginormous). I never feel like overclocking is my thing, rather have stability, but once again thanks for the info.

Ended up with this build (using the 7 $40 Newegg vouchers I got today for $20 each and using new accounts for each item/NEWCUSTOMER10 codes!)
Corsair CX500 v2 - $6.99 after $20 rebate
i5-2500K - $174.99
Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 - $72.55 after $10 rebate
16GB of G.Skill Ripjaw Series DDR3 1600 - $29.98
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200 rpm - $49.99
Cooler Master HAF 912 - $35.98
using optical drive from current build - $0
TOTAL: $370.48

Waiting for a good videocard deal now... :) What would be a good price for a 560ti or should I wait for the new revisions on this if I can live with onboard for a little bit?

mkenyon

Banned
I started using Shoprunner, but between my business and my personal ordering, I definitely pay more than $79 in shipping in 3 months let alone a year.

One of the bogus things about it is that although it states 2-day shipping, I've had numerous packages take 3-4 business days. In addition, you don't get Saturday UPS delivery with it.

JVIDICAN

I started using Shoprunner, but between my business and my personal ordering, I definitely pay more than $79 in shipping in 3 months let alone a year.

One of the bogus things about it is that although it states 2-day shipping, I've had numerous packages take 3-4 business days. In addition, you don't get Saturday UPS delivery with it.

I'm just going to take the risk. lol. Should I attempt cancelling immediately after the order is complete or once I receive the parts?

Soi-Fong

·feist·;33030585 said:
You mean a CD/DVD optical drive? There are some specific models in the OP. These days, there's very little difference between the reputable brands. $18-25 Samsung, Lite On, Sony, Plextor, LG, etc.

Do you actually need an H100? A single rad Antec 920, or Corsair H80 would be more flexible. Alternatively, the top air coolers cost less, and will match, or beat the top AIOs at considerably lower noise levels. It'd be different if you had already picked up the H100 on sale for $70-80.

Fractal Design Define R3 (or Define R2) can fit an ATI Radeon 5970
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5yG-_AS6To

khkCT.png

Welp, Newegg just sent me a thing where they refunded my money for the 5970 so... Yeah... I'm not sure why...

Great. Off to look for another videocard!

And my girlfriend already got me the H100 so I need to look for a compatible case.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Might have automatically increased the size of your page file, I think it usually tries to mirror the amount of RAM you have. That wouldn't account for the difference though, but I'm not sure why else it would do that.

Looks like I have to get a bigger primary drive now. The one I have now is 60GB. Nothing but programs on it but it shouldn't take that much space.

Plasmid

Can the damn capable build run most new games? Maybe not skyrim, but fallout etc? Or would i have to go with the get a lot more build.

Honestly, i don't know much about hardware (graphics cards, sound cards etc) but i know how to put it together and do all the software needed stuff, i don't wanna build a computer and find out i fucked myself over :lol

mkenyon

Banned
You won't be disappointed by the Arc Midi. Alternatively, you could look at the CM690II. Built in both, I prefer the Midi. Here's an OC3D review of it.

If you're looking for a good vid card in the $300 or so range, you could either grab a GTX 570 or 6970. Alternatively, if you demand the highest performance out of your rig, you could grab a holdover card until the next gen of cards is released. Though my source at Sapphire/AMD said they wouldn't be launching the cards till late Q1, there's a new rumor that says January.

Alternatively, shortly there will be a GTX560Ti 440 core that will be near 570 performance for $220.

Really, it's hard to make a bad decision with cards these days.

What's a 560 ti SLI equivalent to? Like can it run BF3 at ultra or Skyrim at ultra?
I have a 560Ti SLI rig. Runs both Skyrim and BF3 sliders to the right, though BF3 isn't a stable 60fps+, which is my min requirement for frames. I keep it on very high. It's a bit more powerful than a GTX580 when there are efficient SLI profiles. I've experienced a bit of micro stuttering, but not nearly as much as I did with crossfire 5870s.

scogoth

Are the HDD racks in the R3 not removable/modular? Been about a year since I did a build in one, and just can't remember. That feature seems like it needs to be on a checkbox for $80+ cases.
Nah, it's their oldest case, and the only one that still lacks that feature. The Define R4 is supposed to rectify that, and possibly have a reworked top for native dual rad support. No sign of it, though. They could easily slap an expanded Define shell onto an Arc frame if they wanted a quick and easy solution. Kind of like the new Antec P280/Antec 1100 twins, and millions of other swap jobs.

Me too, I want Z77 board with thunderbolt. Apples current implementation is buggy at best and once it hits the PC world we'll sees lot more devices. And while I'm dreaming 600 series GPUs? kthxbai
Intel has been very quiet about native desktop support for Light Peak/Thunderbolt, but they've been actively pushing it for their mobile platforms for months (especially Ultra Books). Old slides had it slated for Haswell desktops, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it on a version 2.0 of X79 at some point, similar to v2.0 of X58.

Welp, Newegg just sent me a thing where they refunded my money for the 5970 so... Yeah... I'm not sure why...

Great. Off to look for another videocard!

And my girlfriend already got me the H100 so I need to look for a compatible case.
If you do go with the Arc, Vodka Martini posted pics of his Fractal Arc + H100 build in the last PC thread, so you can get a sense of how it comes together. Keep in mind, the fans pictured on the H100, and at the rear and bottom of the case are not stock on either one. If you ever wanted to go push/pull on the H100, cases like the Anidées AI-6B, Corsair 500R, and Cooler Master CM 690 II would be able to fully house the rad and four fans internally. The Arc would pose some clearance issues depending on your choices of components.

mkenyon

Banned
Every GPU is a bottleneck with a 2500K at normal resolutions. You'll get max performance out of it, if that's what you're asking.

·feist·;33032496 said:
Nah, it's their oldest case, and the only one that still lacks that feature. The Define R4 is supposed to rectify that, and possibly have a reworked top for native dual rad support. No sign of it, though. They could easily slap an expanded Define shell onto an Arc frame if they wanted a quick and easy solution. Kind of like the new Antec P280/Antec 1100 twins, and millions of other swap jobs.
That Arc is such an amazing case. It really allows you to do anything, even with the mini you can have 2 240x120mm rads. Throwing on sound dampening material seems like a perfect way to make a new Define edition.
·feist·;33032496 said:
If you do go with the Arc, Vodka Martini posted pics of his Fractal Arc + H100 build in the last PC thread, so you can get a sense of how it comes together. Keep in mind, the fans pictured on the H100, and at the rear and bottom of the case are not stock on either one. If you ever wanted to go push/pull on the H100, cases like the Anidées AI-6B, Corsair 500R, and Cooler Master CM 690 II would be able to fully house the rad and four fans internally. The Arc would pose some clearance issues depending on your choices of components.
This. You have to make sure you get low profile RAM like the Vengeance LP or GSkill sniper. The RAM with the giant heatsinks will give you clearance issues in push-pull.

I5mvm.jpg

A pic of my setup will allow you to visualize what I mean. Though this Rad is slightly larger than the H100, with another set of fans on the bottom of it, it will be covering part of the RAM. Tall RAM won't fit under it.

Takuan

Considering selling my GTX 460 to a friend who wants to make the Standard build in Hazaro's wonderful spreadsheet and getting some HD6950 2GB just to play BF in ultra. Should I bother? I'm on a q9550, so I'm definitely bottlenecked here. What say you guys? Which HD6950 is the one to get?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
finally got the thermalright silver arrow pictured below.
that thing is huge!

how far can i overclock my 2600k?
i heard around 4.8-5.2ghz. is that doable?

Should be easy to get to, just a question of how much voltage you'll end up needing and what you're comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom