• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cool.

Is Biostar really ok at that price bracket? Because normally I would be looking at ASUS.
Biostar, ASRock, and MSI have really upped their motherboard offerings.
All ASUS at the lower price brackets are gimped in terms of what they offer in competition and don't seem to be any more reliable.

Too high volts imo. This is with speedstep enabled + voltage lowering while idle right?
Cycles = clocks = speed.
I bet you can get 4.7 out of 1.388V or similar.

yeah, speedstep enabled. but not voltage lowering.
i have the P8P67 LE edition which have gimped options for overclocking.
i can't manually change the voltage. and from what i've read, it allows too much voltage on whatever clock i set it at.

i also set it to 4.7 and the voltage didn't change. if you know a way to manually set the voltage, i might have to consider buying a new mobo.

EDIT: THX hazaro, you the man, man!

Jtrizzy

Sorry to go on a rant here, but PC gaming is about to make my head explode at this point.

I had a friend help me build it, games crash (BF3 not as bad as it was at launch, Crysis 2 freezes at a point, I can't get past it, so I'm stuck same problem with certain levels of the BF3 campaign (Tank Mission)...paid someone to tear it down and rebuild the right way, and with good cable management, games run great but still have crashing problems.

I can't even get in a game on BF3 because of some kind of network problems, yet I get on just fine with the PS3 version. Arkham city has been great(other than the fact that DX11 has been broken since day one), but for some reason none of the graphical changes I make before launching actually take place.

After spending a shit ton of money on this thing, I'm still having all these problems. 2600k@4.4/MSI Twin Frozr 580.

FoolsRun

I got one of those last month and it arrived with a bad DIMM3 slot (that was fun to troubleshoot--the board would just cycle power on an off every few seconds, so it took two nights to figure out what was wrong). On the day I RMA'd it, NewEgg had a special deal on the MSI Z68A-GD65 board, and against my better judgement I exchanged the faulty G45 with that, partly because it had a 5-year warranty. The GD65 has reset its BIOS settings to the defaults twice since I've had it for no apparent reason, but at this point I'm just going to hang onto it and hope it starts behaving. It also appears some of Intel's power-saving technologies are disabled if you manually set the VCore when overclocking, so voltage won't decrease when the system is idle.

For $105 the GD45 is not a bad deal, but if I had to do it again I'd probably avoid MSI. On the bright side, MSI's technical support responded quickly when I was troubleshooting the bad G45.

I also had a problem with one of this thread's recommended power supplies--the fan in my XFX 650w PRO started ticking two days after I sent in the rebate--so maybe I've just been unlucky with my current build.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
All I can say is my ASUS board, excluding north bridge fan dying twice (they are passive now?), has been great for 6 years and probably will go with ASUS in my next build.

The PSU, GPU, CPU Heatsink in the build have all been replaced at least twice. Non ASUS products there.

GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores NDA officially lifted, 9am EST. All I'll say is that Nvidia and co. will be selling a lot of these.

Sorry to go on a rant here, but PC gaming is about to make my head explode at this point.

I had a friend help me build it, games crash (BF3 not as bad as it was at launch, Crysis 2 freezes at a point, I can't get past it, so I'm stuck same problem with certain levels of the BF3 campaign (Tank Mission)...paid someone to tear it down and rebuild the right way, and with good cable management, games run great but still have crashing problems.

I can't even get in a game on BF3 because of some kind of network problems, yet I get on just fine with the PS3 version. Arkham city has been great(other than the fact that DX11 has been broken since day one), but for some reason none of the graphical changes I make before launching actually take place.

After spending a shit ton of money on this thing, I'm still having all these problems. 2600k@4.4/MSI Twin Frozr 580.
Back to stock clocks to trouble shoot. Run MemTest, OCCT (yes, at stock speeds), and hope you don't have any motherboard issues. A simple RAM, or SSD/HDD issue would be easier.

So I'm looking to upgrade my cpu/mb/ram, and this is what I'm considering:

Core i5 2500k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512
with 8GB Gskill http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

Brings me right under $400 which is where I want to be. Is that a good enough motherboard? And how do I know what speed RAM to go with? Does it really make a difference or can I get cheaper?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
·feist·;33044466 said:
GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores NDA officially lifted, 9am EST. All I'll say is that Nvidia and co. will be selling a lot of these.
Depends on how it's actually priced. MSRP is supposed to be the same as the existing 560 Ti's based on the announcement info, but if retailers are going to price them at nearly $300 they'll struggle against the current model and 6950.

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512

Brings me right under $400 which is where I want to be. Is that a good enough motherboard? And how do I know what speed RAM to go with? Does it really make a difference or can I get cheaper?
I'd go with the Asus P8P67 Rev 3.1, but it's out of stock and that Gigabyte doesn't seem like a bad choice. A few people seem to recommend against them here though IIRC.

demigod

Hey guys I'm using a PC with an Asus P8P67 Pro mobo and everything is running well except for the internal Bluetooth adapter. It seems to light up when searching for devices, but it can't discover anything no matter what.

I heard having motionjoy installed screws up windows Bluetooth stacking, but I have uninstalled and deleted the drivers from motionjoy in device manager and I have uninstalled the program itself. I retrieved the latest drivers from Asus' website and Bluetooth is enabled in services and in the bios.

I ordered a cheap Bluetooth dongle from amazon to see if that could fix it, but it hasn't arrived yet. Desperate for any advice b/c it's pissing me off so much, so annoying.

I had this problem too but eventually got it fixed. Damn I don't remember what I did. I think I went in device manager and manually removed motionjoy or the bluetooth that was in there. I don't know how ya'lls Asus built in bluetooth is but mine sucks ass. The audio would cut in and out. I bought an Asus dongle and it works great but the motionjoy problem I had was from the dongle so don't expect the dongle will solve your issue with it.

RS4-

I had this problem too but eventually got it fixed. Damn I don't remember what I did. I think I went in device manager and manually removed motionjoy or the bluetooth that was in there. I don't know how ya'lls Asus built in bluetooth is but mine sucks ass. The audio would cut in and out. I bought an Asus dongle and it works great but the motionjoy problem I had was from the dongle so don't expect the dongle will solve your issue with it.

I just gave up trying to get motionjoy + internal BT to work; wanted to use both my PS3 dualshock and the Wii controller for some games & dolphin, no luck.

Either I could have one or the other. And I think I couldn't get the ps3 pad to detect if I ran BT only.

xero273

demigod

I just gave up trying to get motionjoy + internal BT to work; wanted to use both my PS3 dualshock and the Wii controller for some games & dolphin, no luck.

Either I could have one or the other. And I think I couldn't get the ps3 pad to detect if I ran BT only.

Oh when I said I got it fixed, I meant that I successfully got rid of Motionjoy and got my bluetooth headset working again. How good is your internal BT? I have the Asus P8Z68-V mobo.

RS4-

Oh when I said I got it fixed, I meant that I successfully got rid of Motionjoy and got my bluetooth headset working again. How good is your internal BT? I have the Asus P8Z68-V mobo.

Yup same one, z68-v pro.

Oh sorry, yeah same here. After I got rid of motionjoy it took a while to try and get my onboard BT stuff working again...which I don't use anyway lol.

I'll probably just cave in and buy that 360 wireless controller adapter instead to replace the dualshock. Then one of those USB Wii sensor bars so I don't have to turn on my console.

TheExodu5

Banned
Welp, one of my GTX 570 is going. Selling it to a friend for $200 (the condition is that since the card has had water damage, he'll be testing it out for a month to make sure it's okay before finalizing the transaction). This will help me troubleshoot my system restarting issue, and I'll be weening myself off SLI.

It's going to be a shame losing the SLI performance for the few games where it mattered, especially Battlefield 3 and Arkham City, but I'll deal. It'll make it easier to transition to the next high-end GPU once it releases.

Niblet

Just got my Intel 320 160GB SSD.

I want to make my SSD the boot w/ software and the HDD the storage device with my media and the games I don't install on SSD. What's the best way of intergrating this into my system? My current HDD has like 400 GB of data on it. I'm assuming I format the SSD with a new windows partition? And then what?

Takuan

·feist·;33040083 said:
Almost certainly your board. That's why I mentioned those three problem types above. A lot of P35s have issues with quads. Even some which were great dual-core clockers. You could possibly try this, as long as you don't spend too much. Some s-775 DDR3 boards were bad, others were solid. If you went that way, you can get more, higher speed ram, for less.

Otherwise, hold steady, and grab a new CPU + board combo, along with some DDR3 when you're ready. Simply swap in those three for an upgrade.
Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll just hold off for a true upgrade, because if I'm going to have to go through the headache of re-wiring things, backing up data, and re-installing Windows, I might as well be installing new hardware. Plus, I don't even know for a fact that it's my motherboard holding me back.

Hell, if there are some nice holiday sales, I might just buy the Enhanced system in OP and give my current PC to my parents.

mkenyon

Banned
This is my first time building an HTPC, I think I have everything I need.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=14386251

I haven't decided on a motherboard yet, but I am leaning towards this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157252

For power supply, I think that 430W should be enough, but if not I can go with this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

it's only $2 more.

Any comments?

Thanks.
Your first link is broken. Additionally, if you want your HTPC to just be an HTPC, you might consider an AMD E-350, Atom/Ion, or AMD A-X rig. The prior two are really low in power consumption and can certainly handle any amount of web browsing and video @ 1080p. On top of that, they're a lot less expensive than a SB setup.

Woke up this morning to my monitors having nice multi-colored pixels all over them. I restarted and they went away, but we'll see how things are tonight when I get home from work. I fear my video card may be on its last legs (a sapphire 4870). I don't have alot of money to throw towards a video card right now and was looking at either a 6790 or a 6850. Anyone have experience with those cards and any thoughts on them?

Ryu

I'm currently running the following system:

i5 750 OC'd to 3.6 (possibly 3.7, not at home to confirm)
ATI 5850
8GB ram

BF3 runs pretty great with everything on high. I was looking to get better performance (more frames) and was thinking of a videocard upgrade. Is something like this even worth the cash at this point or should i go with a bigger videocard upgrade from the second link?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593

Roughly speaking, 5850 = 6870 = 560 non-ti so you're just wasting money on the first one.

Unless you have money to burn, I'd personally just wait for HD 7xxx, then either grab one of those or get 6xxx which should be cheaper by then.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm currently running the following system:

i5 750 OC'd to 3.6 (possibly 3.7, not at home to confirm)
ATI 5850
8GB ram

BF3 runs pretty great with everything on high. I was looking to get better performance (more frames) and was thinking of a videocard upgrade. Is something like this even worth the cash at this point or should i go with a bigger videocard upgrade from the second link?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593
560 (non Ti) is basically on par with your 5850. 570 is an upgrade, but not really significant. 5850 is a tough place to be in, as it's just below what I'd consider acceptable performance, but not so low that a decently priced card is much of an upgrade. It's a tough call that you can only really make. You'd see pretty good gains with a 580, or wait for the next gen AMD cards. Newest rumor is January.

Woke up this morning to my monitors having nice multi-colored pixels all over them. I restarted and they went away, but we'll see how things are tonight when I get home from work. I fear my video card may be on its last legs (a sapphire 4870). I don't have alot of money to throw towards a video card right now and was looking at either a 6790 or a 6850. Anyone have experience with those cards and any thoughts on them?
6850 is a good card for the price, not a huge upgrade over your card other than being DX11 where the 4870 is DX10. If you have the 512mb 4870, then it's a pretty significant upgrade.

Ryu

Ah geez, I goofed that up. Here is the PROPER TI link i meant to drop down. My mistake on that one -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KZHRAM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In any case, it sounds like I'd only see OK gains at this point regardless of the card I choose. What kinda gains could I realistically see with that card, 570, or 580? Lets say now, at high settings, BF3 runs at about 50-60FPS or so. I have no problem with the IQ, I think it looks great. But if framerate can remain and get a bump to ultra, clearly that would be preferable...

Smokey

Welp, one of my GTX 570 is going. Selling it to a friend for $200 (the condition is that since the card has had water damage, he'll be testing it out for a month to make sure it's okay before finalizing the transaction). This will help me troubleshoot my system restarting issue, and I'll be weening myself off SLI.

It's going to be a shame losing the SLI performance for the few games where it mattered, especially Battlefield 3 and Arkham City, but I'll deal. It'll make it easier to transition to the next high-end GPU once it releases.
Don't leave us yet :(

grkazan12

So I bought a cheap Bluetooth Adapter to see if it could enable Bluetooth unlike the internal Bluetooth on the Asus Mobo.

Well, the drivers installed fine and it does seem to light up and blink when searching for devices, but it once again can't discover anything.

Bluetooth is enabled in services and I disabled the Asus Bluetooth in Bios, deleted, and uninstalled the Asus Bluetooth drivers.

Any suggestions on fixing this? Could it be a problem with Windows 7?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd go with the MSI personally.
yeah, speedstep enabled. but not voltage lowering.
i have the P8P67 LE edition which have gimped options for overclocking.
i can't manually change the voltage. and from what i've read, it allows too much voltage on whatever clock i set it at.

i also set it to 4.7 and the voltage didn't change. if you know a way to manually set the voltage, i might have to consider buying a new mobo.

EDIT: THX hazaro, you the man, man!
A quick search makes it look like it relies on auto voltage to compensate. Ick. Maybe there is a bios update which will get you some more options, or lower the voltage.

The answers are in the RAM section of suggested builds, it is a bit hard to see. Those sticks are fine.
6850 is good value for the money. So is a GTX 460.
So I bought a cheap Bluetooth Adapter to see if it could enable Bluetooth unlike the internal Bluetooth on the Asus Mobo.

Well, the drivers installed fine and it does seem to light up and blink when searching for devices, but it once again can't discover anything.

Bluetooth is enabled in services and I disabled the Asus Bluetooth in Bios, deleted, and uninstalled the Asus Bluetooth drivers.

Any suggestions on fixing this? Could it be a problem with Windows 7?
Don't know, when you find out please PM me.
How would this power supply be for a 560 Ti + 2500k combo? I know of OCZ but not much about their PSUs. Seems to have good reviews. Any opinions?
ModxStream is ok.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
·feist·;33044466 said:
Getting rid of defective GTX 570's sounds good to me. They'll sell all they can.
The min frame boost over a 560 Ti is nice, but then, really at that price point a 6950 still wins since it's cheaper. At least nVidia has a card in that range (sort of) now. Depends on the actual reseller price and how many special editions and heatsinks sellers slap on them to drive the price up.

Man, I feel like a need to take an online course just to undestand all this PC tech talk. My parents want to buy my brother a new gaming PC, but they don't know a motherboard from a chipset. I told them those Alienware PCs were a waste of money, but I don't think they have the know-how to build one of their own.

Everything is so confusing.

alterno69

Banned
Is a Gtx 560ti enough to run current games good enough? I need a new GPU for my 3d work, mainly 3ds max but playing newer games would be a nice plus. This card fits my budget as it goes for around 400 usd here in Mexico.

Soi-Fong

Anybody here know the prices of the 560 ti 448 or when they'll be available? If they're around the price of the 560 ti's now, then I'd rather wait and get two and SLI them.
Otherwise, I'm planning on getting two MSI 560 GTX-TI Hawks and SLI them.

mkenyon

Banned
Actually, I'm just wondering... Will two unlocked HD 6950's Crossfired be better than two GTX 560 ti SLI?
Depends entirely on the game and whether it has good crossfire or SLI profiles. In theory, the 6950's should perform better. In reality, it's a crapshoot. I know Haz has xfire'd 6950s, and he's ahead of my rig in the "race your PC" thread.

Also, finding unlocked 6950s can be quite difficult unless you get them secondhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom